• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
Considering that Breath of the Wild (which in its core is a WiiU game) had to sell 2million units just to break even according to Nintendo, despite beeing a 1st party game (no royalties needed to pay to a platform holder). A 3rd Party game with a similar budget would need to sell even more to break even.

Capcom had excellent results with very good margins for the FY ending March 2019, so I would assume that they more than broke even on both DMC V and RE2R.

And they will possibly do fine in the FY ending March 2020 as well if Iceborne does not underperform. Digital catalog sales are not to be underestimated.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring sounds alot like Dark Souls. Bringing back the RPG elements, character creator, magic, that type of stuff.

Tales of Arise looks really good, as we knew from that screenshot the production values sky rocketed, UE4 continues to do wonders for japanese devs.

Dragon Ball Z Kakorot didn't really show any of its RPG elements, i thought it was a fighting game until they clarified.

PSO2 coming to Xbox One sounds like MS spending some money to make a "Dream come true" announcement at E3, i wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't even come to PS4.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
Probably not really a hot take, but: If they happen, ports of ToS and ToB to NSW will be more profitable (in relative terms) for BN than ToA.

(EDIT: I probably overestimated ToA's budget and undererstimated its revenue potential in retrospect. It was meant as a "wild guess", maybe "hot take" was the wrong term.)

Last edited:

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Ahhh, nothing like focusing on one thing one person said to dismiss everything else people are saying, like Capcom going a year without a main release and this being a not safe or very sustainable business model to most japanese companies.

It's unsurprising to me that there are a few unconcerned with unsustainabilty. Seems like a common trend.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
if it's not on switch, it's a failure
Pretty much.
Ahhh, nothing like focusing on one thing one person said to dismiss everything else people are saying, like Capcom going a year without a main release and this being a not safe or very sustainable business model to most japanese companies.
This regularly happens when I post. Sometimes it starts a conversation where the answers ignore or completely avoid my point. Very frustrating.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much.

This regularly happens when I post. Sometimes it starts a conversation where the answers ignore or completely avoid my point. Very frustrating.
It's weird how you agreed that post and then agreed with the post criticizing it lol

Probably not really a hot take, but: If they happen, ports of ToS and ToB to NSW will be more profitable (in relative terms) for BN than ToA.
I don't think this is true. A new game vs ports of old ones in the same series.

Elden Ring sounds alot like Dark Souls. Bringing back the RPG elements, character creator, magic, that type of stuff.

Tales of Arise looks really good, as we knew from that screenshot the production values sky rocketed, UE4 continues to do wonders for japanese devs.

Dragon Ball Z Kakorot didn't really show any of its RPG elements, i thought it was a fighting game until they clarified.

PSO2 coming to Xbox One sounds like MS spending some money to make a "Dream come true" announcement at E3, i wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't even come to PS4.
Tales looks completely unappealing to me and killed off any lingering feelings I have had for the series and this is coming from someone who used to be a huge fan.

PSO2 is probably MS trying to improve relations with the Japanese side of Sega.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
It's unsurprising to me that there are a few unconcerned with unsustainabilty. Seems like a common trend.
I'm still trying to figure out how Capcom is going to have an increase in software sales this FY.

I don't think this is true. A new game vs ports of old ones in the same series.
I think people are overestimating the budget. The recent games set the bar incredibly low. This is a decent UE4 game but like even in the screenshot of the MC, you can see jagged textures.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder about it in the long term, the character models for instance remind me an awful lot of god eater 3 and code vein, which for some reason people keep saying arent lookers in which case I say a mighty "huh?" Because while I dont think they're GOW they certainly arent bad looking. I believe once we get clearer shots of the world I wouldn't be surprised if the comparisons come flowing. I wouldnt be surprised if the production values arent crazy either.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still trying to figure out how Capcom is going to have an increase in software sales this FY.

I think people are overestimating the budget. The recent games set the bar incredibly low. This is a decent UE4 game but like even in the screenshot of the MC, you can see jagged textures.
It's not that I'm overestimating the new game as much as I don't think ports of ToS and ToB would do well enough to match what new games in the series currently do.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Capcom had excellent results with very good margins for the FY ending March 2019, so I would assume that they more than broke even on both DMC V and RE2R.

And they will possibly do fine in the FY ending March 2020 as well if Iceborne does not underperform. Digital catalog sales are not to be underestimated.

The argument is about projects that actually have similar budgets, I mean budgets that actually can be considered AAA budgets by todays industry standards. For actual AAA games 2 million isn't really an amazing result, even if it breaks even at 1.5m for example, just look at EA and Activision and how the former reacted to Mass Effect Andromeda results for example, I even added a 1st Party example with what Nintendo needed for Breath of the Wild.

Capcoms overall performance is a different matter altogether. In the past fiscal year they had a lot of software with high profit margins, like the PC port of MHW and other ports and their existing catalog titles. DMC5 was most likely profitable but overall not significant RE2R was actually the only new game that generated significant profit, as it sold over 4 Million units.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
He said relatively so I assumed he was keeping in mind a theoretical budget.

Yes, that's what I meant when I said relatively. A better ratio of revenue/budget, so to speak.

But yeah, it's possible that I overestimate the budget for ToA and underestimate its revenue potential, which lead to my take. (or the other way around for the ports)

(It was still meant as a guess/prediction, so I cannot be "not true" right now, but proven false in the future - not that we will ever know)

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks cool, but Ghostwire probably will sell as "well" as TEW did in Japan. Its real fight is in the west.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
The argument is about projects that actually have similar budgets, I mean budgets that actually can be considered AAA budgets by todays industry standards. For actual AAA games 2 million isn't really an amazing result, even if it breaks even at 1.5m for example, just look at EA and Activision and how the former reacted to Mass Effect Andromeda results for example, I even added a 1st Party example with what Nintendo needed for Breath of the Wild.

Capcoms overall performance is a different matter altogether. In the past fiscal year they had a lot of software with high profit margins, like the PC port of MHW and other ports and their existing catalog titles. DMC5 was most likely profitable but overall not significant RE2R was actually the only new game that generated significant profit, as it sold over 4 Million units.

Sorry, I somehow assumed that you were mainly talking about about DMC V.

However, I would argue that if an (AAA, but it does not really matter) game breaks even at 1.5m and it sells 2m, that can be a success depending on how you defined your break even point. It matters which costs we take into account there. If we just take the development budget, 2m is probably not a success if it needed 1.5m to just make that back. If we properly allocate all other costs of the publisher/developer to the project and it still breaks even at 1.5m, 2m looks like a fine and very profitable result.
(Of course, this parapraph is strongly simplified.)

Which leads us to the BOTW example: We do not know how Nintendo defined their break-even-point, so I am not sure how much we really can infer from that.

Agree with the first part of your second paragraph. Regarding the profitability of DMC5: Capcom's statements indeed read like it was less profitable than RE2R, but in the end we do not really know and cannot infer that from their absolute sales numbers.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I somehow assumed that you were mainly talking about about DMC V.

However, I would argue that if an (AAA, but it does not really matter) game breaks even at 1.5m and it sells 2m, that can be a success depending on how you defined your break even point. It matters which costs we take into account there. If we just take the development budget, 2m is probably not a success if it needed 1.5m to just make that back. If we properly allocate all other costs of the publisher/developer to the project and it still breaks even at 1.5m, 2m looks like a fine and very profitable result.
(Of course, this parapraph is strongly simplified.)

Which leads us to the BOTW example: We do not know how Nintendo defined their break-even-point, so I am not sure how much we really can infer from that.

Agree with the first part of your second paragraph. Regarding the profitability of DMC5: Capcom's statements indeed read like it was less profitable than RE2R, but in the end we do not really know and cannot infer that from their absolute sales numbers.

If you were capcom, you'd also likely have to consider opportunity cost, Nintendo devices aside.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Tsutaya Ranking: Week 23, 2019 (3 Jun - 9 Jun)

01./00. [PS4] Rage 2 <ACT> (Bethesda Softworks) {2019.06.06} (¥7.980)
02./02. [NSW] Minecraft <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600)
03./01. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200)
04./05. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980)
05./03. [PS4] Days Gone <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2019.04.26} (¥6.900)
06./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980)
07./06. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.01.11} (¥5.980)
08./07. [NSW] Yoshi's Crafted World <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.03.29} (¥5.980)
09./00. [PS4] Everybody's Golf VR |PlayStation VR| <SPT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2019.06.07} (¥3.900)
10./11. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980)
11./11. [NSW] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age <RPG> (Square Enix) {2019.04.25} (¥5.800)
12./09. [PS4] Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice <ADV> (From Software) {2019.03.22} (¥7.600)
13./10. [NSW] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster <RPG> (Square Enix) {2019.04.11} (¥6.800)
14./15. [NSW] Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.04.04} (¥6.800)
15./08. [NSW] Resident Evil: Origins Collection <ADV> (Capcom) {2019.05.23} (¥5.500)
16./13. [NSW] Super Mario Party <ETC> (Nintendo) {2018.10.05} (¥5.980)
17./20. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege - Deluxe Edition <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2019.04.11} (¥3.600)
18./18. [NSW] Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu! <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2018.11.16} (¥5.980)
19./19. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.07.19} (¥6.100)
20./14. [PS4] Assassin's Creed III Remastered <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2019.05.23} (¥4.800)

Top 20

NSW - 14
PS4 - 6

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
if it's not on switch, it's a failure
If it's only on the Switch, it could have done so much better had it been on other platforms (sometimes even accompanied with "had it been only on other platforms").
If it's on the Switch, it was a waste of resources that could have gone elsewhere.
If it will be on the Switch, it will hold the game back and/or waste resources.

Quite a number of people here (Era) use the above "logic" from to to time. Well, if one subscribes to that school of thought, then creating a game like DMCV was a waste of resources, Capcom would have had much better sales with a MH for Switch...

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So with Tales of Arise having a generic 2020 release date there's a decent chance it comes out after we have seen next gen games. It probably won't be cutting edge anyway...

If it's only on the Switch, it could have done so much better had it been on other platforms (sometimes even accompanied with "had it been only on other platforms").
If it's on the Switch, it was a waste of resources that could have gone elsewhere.
If it will be on the Switch, it will hold the game back and/or waste resources.

Quite a number of people here (Era) use the above "logic" from to to time. Well, if one subscribes to that school of thought, then creating a game like DMCV was a waste of resources, Capcom would have had much better sales with a MH for Switch...

CREATIVE.DESIRE.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.

While I see where you're driving at and agree with it, that's probably the worst example you could've picked up because yes, a MH for Switch (that isn't an upres port of an expanded re-release of a 3DS game, that is) would've easily outsold DMCV, even with just Japan.

But saying they should've done that instead of DMCV is indeed dumb as hell. Never quite understood this binary way of thinking.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
While I see where you're driving at and agree with it, that's probably the worst example you could've picked up because yes, a MH for Switch (that isn't an upres port of an expanded re-release of a 3DS game, that is) would've easily outsold DMCV, even with just Japan.

But saying they should've done that instead of DMCV is indeed dumb as hell. Never quite understood this binary way of thinking.
It was imo a good example exactly for that reason... Some people keep saying "it makes sense Switch didn't get this or that game for reasons", so (among other things) I was trying to show (probably to no avail) where this prevalent way of thinking would lead if applied to ALL platforms. Why make a DMC game that will sell 2 million (or , let's humor people - 3 million) when you could make a MH Switch game (that more than a few of these same people consider "a waste of Capcom's time/resources") that will outsell it easily. A conclusion that is indeed dumb as hell - as dumb as "Capcom should leave Switch out of its AAA production loop" (which unfortunately is the reality).

Last edited:

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
It was imo a good example exactly for that reason... Some people keep saying "it makes sense Switch didn't get this or that game for reasons", so I was trying to show (probably to no avail) where this prevalent way of thinking would lead if applied to ALL platforms. Why make a DMC game that will sell 2 million (or , let's humor people - 3 million) when you could make a MH Switch game (that more than a few of these same people consider "a waste of Capcom's time/resources") that will outsell it easily.
On this point, could the team who made DMC5 simply go on and also create a MH game that would be just as good as the others? I get your point, i'm just curious if this could be a feasable situation.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
On this point, could the team who made DMC5 simply go on and also create a MH game that would be just as good as the others? I get your point, i'm just curious if this could be a feasable situation.
I don't see why not, with a little adjustment time and some guidance. Then again, I have 20 years of software engineering experience but it is not in the game development field.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why not, with a little adjustment time and some guidance. Then again, I have 20 years of software engineering experience but it is not in the game development field.
Fair enough. I was just thinking if any team/staff were ready to make any game in any genre, or if specific people are needed for it (and those specific people might be tied up with other projects).

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough. I was just thinking if any team/staff were ready to make any game in any genre, or if specific people are needed for it (and those specific people might be tied up with other projects).

There's already a monster Hunter product that could've been ported by a talented and dedicated team with a much more agreeable opportunity cost, but that's also not the reality we live in.

Just wait until the next consoles arrive if you want to see the twists of logic from the same individuals.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
There's already a monster Hunter product that could've been ported by a talented and dedicated team with a much more agreeable opportunity cost, but that's also not the reality we live in.

Just wait until the next consoles arrive if you want to see the twists of logic from the same individuals.
You mean Iron Galaxy with MHW?

EDIT: Reading your post again, i guess maybe you mean in general when you say "a talented team"? I was first thinking about Iron Galaxy because they offered to port MHW :)

Last edited:

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
So far no new announcements at E3 from Capcom. RE and MH seem to be even more of a focus now than even just a few years ago. Kind of a sad development considering that even just one generation ago they pumped out several new IPs on top of new entries for a wider variety of established IPs. Their output besides their flagship IPs looks really barebones these days.

SynoHun

Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Some late reply (I was at work).

I really love how much this forum believes every dev should copy Capcom's business model when they make less money than any other 3rd party in Japan with their AAA only strategy.

That must be some kind of hyperbole.

For your whole argument, MHW success and them making one of the best year in their history took them by surprise a little, they're probably restructuring everything around that success to adapt this exact same strategy for the future. We know for exemple that MH's director is now in charge of the fighting game division. Restructuring your whole company around a massive success like MHW isn't something you do from one day to another and I'm fairly certain that's the reason we won't see much this year. Those things take time and if anything, they should have adopting this strategy sooner.

I mean, from the same Capcom, RE7 appeals more to western sensibilities and it actually sold less than the "action" RE games even worldwide.

Did he ?

I'm not sure what the apparent difference between what we've seen of Tales of Arise and what the strategy for God Eater 3 was. GE3's big marketing was all about how it was a game not shackled by the PSP/Vita and was being built with PS4 in mind, with modern graphics.

Dynasty Warriors is undeniably a higher budget game that changed the formula to match what is appealing to the mainstream(Open World). Same with One Piece.

It seems to be a somewhat post hoc conclusion to say they weren't following that strategy, based around the fact they didn't succeed.

After seeing more about TOA, do you still think it's not that much of a shake-up ? Imo, that's how you take risk with a franchise and that's what this franchise needed. Now, behold Tales of Arise being the most sold Tales of ever made. You're free to quote me on that later.

MH definitely did very good without Switch but that doesn't mean in a conterfactual scenario where a Switch version were also present the game would have sold less.

Did you see how much two exclusive titles like MHXX and USF2 sold ? IIRC more than 600k for MHXX and more than 400k for USF2. I don't even want to imagine the ROI on those kind of games, I'm sure it's great. This strategy of releasing low-effort/high-ROI titles on Switch is making them a good amount of money. Switch owners eat-up those kind of offer. Why should they change their strategy ? You think a lot of people would have bought MHXX if they did release MHW on Switch ? You think a lot of people would have bought USF2 if SFV was on Switch at launch ? You're making a bad suggestion here.

Keeping AAA for powerful console and smaller high-ROI titles for the Switch is a very good strategy for Capcom and they should clearly double on it. They have so much low-effort/high-ROI title they can throw on the Switch and much of those would sell. They could make a School Rival collection, throw Monster Hunter Stories...

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Did you see how much two exclusive titles like MHXX and USF2 sold ? IIRC more than 600k for MHXX and more than 400k for USF2. I don't even want to imagine the ROI on those kind of games, I'm sure it's great. This strategy of releasing low-effort/high-ROI titles on Switch is making them a good amount of money. Switch owners eat-up those kind of offer. Why should they change their strategy ? You think a lot of people would have bought MHXX if they did release MHW on Switch ? You think a lot of people would have bought USF2 if SFV was on Switch at launch ? You're making a bad suggestion here.

Keeping AAA for powerful console and smaller high-ROI titles for the Switch is a very good strategy for Capcom and they should clearly double on it. They have so much low-effort/high-ROI title they can throw on the Switch and much of those would sell. They could make a School Rival collection, throw Monster Hunter Stories...

The business strategy you're mentioning:
1. might not be sustainable in the long-run as longtime fans might become tired of portings and low-effort games. We have seen something similar on Wii; RE4 sold like 2m, Umbrella Chronicles also did pretty well but Darkside Chronicles bombed ("Another shooter on-rail?!");
2. need not to be mutually exclusive with a strategy aimed at bringing bigger (and with more sales potential) games. In fact, a game like MHXX could have been a perfect way to bring some MH audience on Switch to whom then sell MHW or another mainline game. Indeed, other platforms are also receiving some low-effort games such as the latest Street Fighter collection.

A mainline MH game could very well sell 4m+ on Switch alone which can be labelled as a high ROI project too.

Last edited:

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
1. might not be sustainable in the long-run as longtime fans might become tired of portings and low-effort games. We have seen something similar on Wii; RE4 sold like 2m, Umbrella Chronicles also did pretty well but Darkside Chronicles bombed ("Another shooter on-rail?!");
2. need not to be mutually exclusive with a strategy aiming at bringing (and with more sales potential) games. In fact, a game like MHXX could have been a perfect way to bring some MH audience on Switch to whom then sell MHW or another mainline game. Indeed, other platforms are also receiving some low-effort games such as the latest Street Fighter collection.

A mainline MH game could very well sell 4m+ on Switch alone which can be labelled as a high ROI project too.

Pretty much. RE and MH are the only Capcom IPs that currently could sustain actual AAA budgets, 2 to 3 million sellers are to close to the barrier of beeing unreasonable, but to be honest not every pretty/hyped game is actually a AAA game, that's more a marketing thing. As for the ports, even on Switch they are already approaching a saturation point, most of their biggest legacy games, by that I mean games with mass market appeal, will be launched by the end of this fiscal year. While these kind of games get also bought by newcomers, a lot of people are double or tripple dippers, at one point, especially when retrocompatibility will be finally standardized a good part of gamers will be fine with the versions they already own. No one will buy the same game every single time, we are approaching good enough territory and when the inconvenience of incompatibility from one gen to a new generation is solved with retrocompatibility, sales of rehashes will be affected as well.

Last edited:

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
You can literally go to the platinum page for Capcom and see that 5 and 6 sold more.
After seeing more about TOA, do you still think it's not that much of a shake-up ? Imo, that's how you take risk with a franchise and that's what this franchise needed. Now, behold Tales of Arise being the most sold Tales of ever made. You're free to quote me on that later.
They didn't say that. They said those games also took risks. Also I really hope this Tales game goes on to be best selling as that isn't a hard thing to do. I'm pretty sure Xenoblade Chronciles 2 has outsold them all.

SynoHun

Banned
Jun 7, 2019
2. need not to be mutually exclusive with a strategy aiming at bringing (and with more sales potential) games. In fact, a game like MHXX could have been a perfect way to bring some MH audience on Switch to whom then sell MHW or another mainline game. Indeed, other platforms are also receiving some low-effort games such as the latest Street Fighter collection.

A lot of "might", "could have". You might be wrong, you might be right. What we know for sure is that the strategy I described previously worked perfectly well for Capcom, as they landed one of their most successful year ever. They might need to change in the future, yes, but so far nothing suggest it. If anything, everything suggest they should double on it as fast as they can.

It's hard to name a lot of non-Nintendo game that broke past 2 millions on Switch so far and yet, you're so certain Capcom is leaving that much money on the table. I'm sorry, but maybe you're just flat out wrong. I think we should all stop the weird mental gymnastic and accept that Capcom has actual reasons to not dropping an OG MH on Switch. For all their faults, they've managed the Monster Hunter franchise perfectly so far.

You can literally go to the platinum page for Capcom and see that 5 and 6 sold more.

It didn't sell less than RE2R, Operation Raccoon City or the Revelations games, which are all action-oriented titles. Unless they're considered irrelevant for whatever reasons. I was responding to someone who said that RE7 sold less than all the "action" Re titles, which is false.

Last edited:

SynoHun

Banned
Jun 7, 2019
They didn't say that. They said those games also took risks.

They said the risks could be compared. Tale of Arises seems like a big shake-up of the franchise, way bigger than everything that were suggested to me (DQ11, DW9, GE3), which was my point when it was just three screenshots. Now that's the full trailer is out, it's clear I was right.

It will work for the franchise, just like it did for MHW, it will put it at an all time high, only to a lesser extent of course. We'll see about hindsight and post hoc conclusions by then.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
A lot of "might", "could have". You might be wrong, you might right. What we know for sure is that the strategy I described previously worked perfectly well for Capcom, as they landed one of their most successful year ever. They might need to change in the future, yes, but so far nothing suggest it. If anything, everything suggest they should double on it as fast as they can.

You have yet to prove how a MHW port/deluxe edition or a mainline game in the Portable fashion on the Switch would worsen Capcom position, decrease MH popularity or make 2018 a worser year retroactively. Capcom doesn't even have a foot in the mobile industry meaning that diversifying platform investment might make sense especially considering that Switch is selling well and that MH was popular on Nintendo platforms.

It's hard to name a lot of non-Nintendo game that broke past 2 millions on Switch so far and yet, you're so certain Capcom is leaving that much money on the table. I'm sorry, but maybe you're just flat out wrong. I think we should all stop the weird mental gymnastic and accept that Capcom has actual reasons to not dropping an OG MH on Switch. For all their faults, they've managed the Monster Hunter franchise perfectly so far.

But they can do better by developing games people will buy...?

I think we need clearance from alt accounts again.

I think too.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see what will be dated when E3 ends but so far with the exception of Mario Maker and Yo-kai Watch there is small movement for the other titles of 2018.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
It didn't sell less than RE2R, Operation Raccoon City or the Revelations games, which are all action-oriented titles. Unless they're considered irrelevant for whatever reasons. I was responding to someone who said that RE7 sold less than all the "action" Re titles, which is false.
Yeah you haven't actually played any of these games and are making bad faith arguments. RE2R isn't action, it's survival horror. I don't want an endless back and forth so how about you go to the RE5 Wikipedia page and look at what the top line is for the genre compared to RE7 and RE2R. And then go down a bit in the intro paragraphs to the part where they said RE5 departed from survival horror and was more of an action game. You could also look at the steam tags.
I think we need clearance from alt accounts again.
Seems to be the case.

SynoHun

Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Yeah you haven't actually played any of these games and are making bad faith arguments. RE2R isn't action, it's survival horror. I don't want an endless back and forth so how about you go to the RE5 Wikipedia page and look at what the top line is for the genre compared to RE7 and RE2R. And then go down a bit in the intro paragraphs to the part where they said RE5 departed from survival horror and was more of an action game. You could also look at the steam tags.

Wikipedia ? What about Capcom own website ?

Resident Evil 5 : http://www.capcom.co.jp/bioDL/5/us/

pVta3ju.png

Resident Evil 6 : http://www.capcom.co.jp/bioDL/6/us/index.html

h0W6JkC.png

Surprise, they're all labeled as Survival-Horror games by Capcom themselves. Action-oriented RE titles are just that : action-oriented titles, which includes Revelations, Operation Raccoon-City and RE2R. RE7 didn't sell less than them. Not that it matters particularly by the way. If you disagree, no problem. No need to get mad for that and resort to throwing accusations.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The worse thing about capcom's AAA strategy and promising it 1-3 of them every year is that capcom wont be able to get most of them out until like year 4 and thats only because going off this gen's dev times, its probably gonna be worse next time. They had to make a exclusive SF5 just to get it out before 2018 and it ended up half baked until 2018

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
The worse thing about capcom's AAA strategy and promising it 1-3 of them every year is that capcom wont be able to get most of them out until like year 4 and thats only because going off this gen's dev times, its probably gonna be worse next time. They had to make a exclusive SF5 just to get it out before 2018 and it ended up half baked until 2018

Also remember that some games never realized (Deep Down), others underperformed (Street Fighter V, Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite), mobile presence is nil and they have zero new IPs to promote.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Wikipedia ? What about Capcom own website ?

Resident Evil 5 : http://www.capcom.co.jp/bioDL/5/us/

pVta3ju.png

Resident Evil 6 : http://www.capcom.co.jp/bioDL/6/us/index.html

h0W6JkC.png

Surprise, they're all labeled as Survival-Horror games by Capcom themselves. Action-oriented RE titles are just that : action-oriented titles, which includes Revelations, Operation Raccoon-City and RE2R. RE7 didn't sell less than them. Not that it matters particularly by the way. If you disagree, no problem. No need to get mad for that and resort to throwing accusations.
Lol this is hilarious. Anyone who has actually seen RE5 and RE6 know they are action games, and it was a problem for older fans of the series since Capcom was bullshiting them. It is also bizarre you'd STILL argue RE2R is more action than RE5 or RE6. You are quite literally arguing that gameplay doesn't matter for the genre description. If Capcom labeled Mega Man survival horror you'd take their word for it. LMAO. But I really should stop assuming you'll make good faith arguments.