• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. It is that. I have no doubt puzzle games can still sell. Ever heard of Puzzles & Dragons? In this era of widespread indie games, trying to market and sell a blatant 3DS port as a full priced Switch game is absurd. Maybe they could've gotten away with it around launch, but not now. Not when you can buy 2 content packed indie games for that price. I hate people who associate graphics with perceived value/cost (looking at all the Octopath haters), but the game honestly should have been a budge title like Snipperclips and cost no more than $20-30

It's pretty hilarious that you didn't even read my whole post when you are saying what I bolded.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
but Switch is selling millions of hardware and software.

The third party thing I agree. But I don't know how much blame I can put on Nintendo alone. The third party companies are also to blame and not a little.
Yes, but at a slower pace than last year (worldwide) and that's awful for a system that just came out. It should be heading to its peak not leveling out.

They didn't prepare for Switch's second year and it's obvious now, given the barren lineup in 2018.

Fans don't @ me with excuses and crystal ball predictions. I've read it all last year when people told me that Nintendo would have games for the first semester of 2018. Well, they didn't.

Thank god Octopath and Monster Hunter are coming. D:

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
This is so ironic. Is it really because of the price of the game and not the fact that action-based puzzle games died long ago?

Think of it like how everyone here talks about 2D fighting games being dead in Japan and ended up being superceded by 3D arena style fighting games.

In this case, action-based puzzle games were superceded by turn-based match-three games like Candy Crush and Puzzle and Dragons.

Of course I'm going to hear that Tetris and Puyo Puyo are still around and of course they are, they survive on brand power just like Tekken and Street Fighter, no surprise there. The difference is how it's harder for a new IP of a dead genre to get off the ground and reach mainstream popularity.

Do you genuinely think that Sushi Striker hadn't sold well because of its nature as an action-based puzzle game...?

I don't think so.

First, you must have consumers thinking about your product---Sushi Striker wasn't really advertised much.

Once they know the product exists, they must find it attractive---artstyle is not really that great.

Then, they also must find the gameplay attractive: it wasn't really crystal clear how gameplay was structured.

If it was turn-based it wouldn't have sold much better.

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
Yes, but at a slower pace than last year (worldwide) and that's awful for a system that just came out. It should be heading to its peak not leveling out.

They didn't prepare for Switch's second year and it's obvious now, given the barren lineup in 2018.

Fans don't @ me with excuses and crystal ball predictions. I've read it all last year when people told me that Nintendo would have games for the first semester of 2018. Well, they didn't.

Thank god Octopath and Monster Hunter are coming. D:
I need the receipts. We only know it's up YoY in Japan, and down YoY in the US. And shipments were up by a tiny bit the first 3 months of the year.

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Do you genuinely think that Sushi Striker hadn't sold well because of its nature as an action-based puzzle game...?

I don't think so.

You shouldn't have too much trouble naming for me some recent new IPs of action-based puzzle games not named Tetris or Puyo Puyo that are widely popular and successful to show that the action-based puzzle genre isn't dead right?

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Can't really be surprised at Sushi Striker doing so poorly. Nintendo gave it no focus at all, and for a $40-50 puzzle game, they really needed to showcase how much content it has. They pretty much set it up to fail, which is too bad.

But, uh, this should mean big discounts relatively quickly. So that's a plus for consumers, lol.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to hear imptession on Fate. Thought it was an expension pack or that kind of thing.

Dark Souls is showing leg.

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, here's some commercials for Sushi Striker. Nothing to do with my earlier posts.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Have they been promoting the Octo Expansion much?

A shadow drop's always nice, but this could be huge for the Japanese market, and I'm surprised that they didn't give them more of a heads-up.

Jan 2, 2018
So, with Super Mario Party, the deformed legs of 1,2 Switch will be cut off, right?

1,2 Switch sold over 2 Million worldwide and over 300k in Japan, if I remember correctly. That are really good outlooks for the new Mario Party.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
With Pokemon, Smash and Mario Party this fall, what are the odds that the Switch passes the PS4 install base in Japan?
Quite possible. If Switch reaches 8 million units sold by the end of the year, then it will likely have passed the PS4. That means another 3.6 million from now till the end of the year, which is a large amount to sell but not at all impossible considering the big hitters that are to come (Pokémon and Smash, and Super Mario Party and Yokai Watch to some extent as well).

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So, with Super Mario Party, the deformed legs of 1,2 Switch will be cut off, right?

1,2 Switch sold over 2 Million worldwide and over 300k in Japan, if I remember correctly. That are really good outlooks for the new Mario Party.
It's currently already past 400k:
Code:
SWI    1 2 Switch    82.392    408.999    Nintendo    03/03/2017
Worldwide it's sold 2.29 million by the end of March, so should be close to 2.5 million by now imo.

Jan 2, 2018
It's currently already past 400k:
Code:
SWI    1 2 Switch    82.392    408.999    Nintendo    03/03/2017
Worldwide it's sold 2.29 million by the end of March, so should be close to 2.5 million by now imo.

Wow, impressive for the title.
Do you know how games in the Mario Party series performed previously? The last games don't have a good reception and Super Mario Party is treated like an answer to the criticism and as a reboot of some sorts it seems like.
Could it sell a million in Japan and 5+ million worldwide?

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Sushi Striker the first Switch title to bomb? Had to happen eventually.

Wonder how Switch and Splatoon 2 will do next week.

How popular is Fortnite currently in Japan?

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Sorry but Sushi Strikers deserves it, Nintendo is INSANE for treating this as a full-fledged $50 release.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
PnqXHD5.png

Switch is on target to have a better Q1 than last year, very easily.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
You shouldn't have too much trouble naming for me some recent new IPs of action-based puzzle games not named Tetris or Puyo Puyo that are widely popular and successful to show that the action-based puzzle genre isn't dead right?

Retail puzzle games are dead right now---regardless the gameplay style. They can be found for free on mobile and digital platforms and therefore consumers' willingness-to-pay for such genre is close to zero. Only exceptions are Puyo (which, still, is declining in Japan as well, and it sold well on Switch thanks to being a launch game and a cross-over with Tetris) and mobile IPs turne-into-console games, like Puzzle and Dragons and Monster Strike (which is hardly a puzzle game, though). Tetrix Axis on 3DS bombed too. Nintendo has shifted all of its puzzle games on eShop: Picross, Pullblox, Boxboy (which is a platform too). Picross 3D 2 sold below 100k in Japan.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
no matter how many anime cutscenes you add to the game, it's just not a good idea to release a 50$ retail puzzle game.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
I think the portable nature of the Switch should have made it more appealing in Japan than Wii, but at this point it cannot even really keep pace with Wii. I think a large part of that has to do with the price. I hope Nintendo is willing to reduce the barrier of entry by cutting the price on the current model or introducing a cheaper (around the price of the 3DS XL) model.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I'd definitely buy a paired down Sushi Strikers for $10, I skipped all the cutscenes in the demo (because who actually gives a fuck about this story?) but I found the gameplay entertaining.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I think the portable nature of the Switch should have made it more appealing in Japan than Wii, but at this point it cannot even really keep pace with Wii. I think a large part of that has to do with the price. I hope Nintendo is willing to reduce the barrier of entry by cutting the price on the current model or introducing a cheaper (around the price of the 3DS XL) model.

I think it is an impression because the Wii just had its second Holiday. Because they didn't have the same launch window, it is hard to do weekly comparison.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Has more to do with the ridiculous sales curve the Wii had: it sold massively until about the first quarter of 2008, and then rapidly declined. Switch will have overtaken Wii before the end of 2019, and will leave it behind itself in the dust after that.

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of baffled that Nintendo passed on porting 3D World or NSMBU this year or a Zelda collection this year.

August and September don't have that much stuff... And it's not like Nintendo is never going to port these games.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Kind of baffled that Nintendo passed on porting 3D World or NSMBU this year or a Zelda collection this year.

August and September don't have that much stuff... And it's not like Nintendo is never going to port these games.
Yeah, I agree. A NSMBU port would have made a lot of sense in August or early September. Would have provided a big boost in sales for this year while filling up the summer schedule (although summer isn't badly filled per se, at least in Japan).

Jan 18, 2018
Bomba Bomber: The Way of Bombs

I was pretty shocked when I saw the price, looks like a $10 game to me

Is Minecraft retail launching in Japan next week?