• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
.... I'm not sure "please stop asking about the release date. There are many... many things we have to do" is something that suggests TGS info on the port.
They're not going to communicate on the Switch japanese release at a western event. Just like they never had anything to say about DQ7 and 8 before Nintendo picked them up for western release

We dis get some « we would love to » from Horii in Paris two years before but that was it

If anything, SE treats DQ like garbage outside of Japan :(

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh the article make it sound like they thought the Switch would be a fair bit more powerful. Maybe it was supposed to be Pascal after all!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did say « if »

I wonder if the new UE4 release that came with Fortnite will be of any help
there's zero chance this game is coming in 2018. and the game will need much more than dynamic resolution to get running on the Switch. much like Tabata did with FF15 on Switch, the DQ team opened their mouths only to insert their feet

Tbh the article make it sound like they thought the Switch would be a fair bit more powerful. Maybe it was supposed to be Pascal after all!
Pascal Tegra isn't that much more powerful than Maxwell Tegra

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know for sure that the game used a new version of UE4?
DQ11 or Fortnite? the last SE spoke of the UE4 model, they specifically reference 4.15, the official switch release

Well whatever it was, it seems to have caught them by surprise.
I guess, but for SE to promise the game (and then double down on it instead of walking it back), tells me that they had some idea of what the NX was going to be. if Nintendo had already talked to Capcom about specs, then SE would have definitely heard about it. I gather that SE didn't expect DQ11 to run as it did and merely overshot the visuals

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I think the 3DS sold 500k and the DS over 600k in a week ! So I think the Switch has definitely the potential to do half a million a week these holidays in Japan with Smash and Pokemon.
Not at this price. But 300-400k at week 51 can happen. Holiday releases are much stronger than last year.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Sad. Missing western release does throw the whole idea into question anyway.

Switch would've been the ideal platform for DQXI, given the 3DS/PS4 strategy that they ended up going for.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
DQXI could already be running perfectly on Switch this wouldnt change their answer. They want people to get the game on PS4/Steam....making it sound that the Switch version could follow soon after the PS4/Steam release would be counter productive,

Adder

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Yeah...3DS as a plattform is the issue with Sushi Strikers.
Its setting the world on fire on Switch. /s

Its not like development on Sushi Strikers started 3 months ago....it was already in production, no point in cancelling it. Also 3DS first party releases arent really published with Japan in mind at this point.

I dont understand the last part of your post.
There are other examples: Ever Oasis, Hey Pikmin, Metroid...every game except mainline Pokemon has underperformed. So, yeah, no point in releasing brand new software on 3ds. It is annoying to see that everybody who states facts and is not okay with being mistreated by Nintendo because of 3ds is being attacked here.

The last part of my post refers to the difference between Switch/PS4: should be larger so at least japanese developers start caring more about the system. Now even Xbox One is getting the mainline stuff whereas they do nothing major for Switch. U nbelievable given the sales.

As with DQ XI, they are straight lying and not working on it. They just take the opportunity to bash Nintendo, that is what Square does. This is Final Fantasy all over again. No more mainline Dragon Quest on Nintendo consoles, sadly.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
What if they have the exact same answers at TGS and beyond.
I would get worried if they have the same answer early next year....but if the Switch release isnt part of their fiscal year plans, they dont have any reasony to hype it up. The longer the period between the initial release and the Switch version the more likely people will be to double dip and the more stuff they can potentially.

Oct 26, 2017
I would get worried if they have the same answer early next year....but if the Switch release isnt part of their fiscal year plans, they dont have any reasony to hype it up. The longer the period between the initial release and the Switch version the more likely people will be to double dip and the more stuff they can potentially.

Those 12 super hardcore Dragon Quest fans in America who will double dip are the reason Square refuses to talk about the Switch version I guess...

Funny Face

Dec 5, 2017
The Octopath demo appears to be doing some real work. It's been steadily climbing both the Amazon Japan and Amazon US hourly charts over the past week, now at #12 and #13 respectively. It's also #5 in France. It's still almost a month away. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm feeling that, if Octopath keeps up this momentum, it's headed towards a 1,000,000+ launch shipment much like ARMS and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had.

A few months ago, Square Enix said that it "has decided that it wants to focus on original titles for the Switch. If Octopath Traveler does well and this is something that appeals to fans, we want to focus on Switch. Please pick up the Switch if you want to play games like Octopath Traveler." I think its new division devoted to Switch is going to be very busy and that Square Enix itself is going to look very smart for establishing it.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
There are other examples: Ever Oasis, Hey Pikmin, Metroid...every game except mainline Pokemon has underperformed. So, yeah, no point in releasing brand new software on 3ds. It is annoying to see that everybody who states facts and is not okay with being mistreated by Nintendo because of 3ds is being attacked here.

The last part of my post refers to the difference between Switch/PS4: should be larger so at least japanese developers start caring more about the system. Now even Xbox One is getting the mainline stuff whereas they do nothing major for Switch. U nbelievable given the sales.

As with DQ XI, they are straight lying and not working on it. They just take the opportunity to bash Nintendo, that is what Square does. This is Final Fantasy all over again. No more mainline Dragon Quest on Nintendo consoles, sadly.

Metroid performed quite well in the US. Every Oasis wouldnt have done well on any system - it was a original passion project Grezzo got rewarded with. They did good - might be in line for a similar title for Switch. I dont know how well Pikmin performed...doubt they had too high expectations though. Goal of these 3DS releases is just for retailer to keep the system in stock, while the evergreens + Pokemon are responsible for most software sales.

It doesnt matter how big the gap between Switch and PS4 really is...any 3rdParty knows what to expected from both systems at this point. Doubt any dev. is handling the Switch diffrent just because it outsold the PS4 by 20k units instead of 25k units. Also Software sales will always be more important for publishers - that what they are looking at and Switch is delivering in that front for the most part - especially on a global scale.
I heard DQ is popular in France, so you might need to add another 4 french folks.
lol

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
With every new big release Mario Tennis Aces and Octopath will continue the large worldwide debut trends. The hype and interest for these two games seem larger than ARMS.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
DQIX topped the French charts for multiple consecutive weeks. JRPGs tend to overperform in France and Spain.

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
"please stop asking us about this"

cart before the horse ass motherfuckers lmao

The producer was specifically asking the guy interviewing him to stop asking about it because (in his own words) he continued to "press for answers." It's not like he's telling people to stop asking about it altogether, and I don't think it's unreasonable for them to want to focus on talking about the versions they're actually releasing in a few months.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
The Octopath demo appears to be doing some real work. It's been steadily climbing both the Amazon Japan and Amazon US hourly charts over the past week, now at #12 and #13 respectively. It's also #5 in France. It's still almost a month away. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm feeling that, if Octopath keeps up this momentum, it's headed towards a 1,000,000+ launch shipment much like ARMS and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had.

A few months ago, Square Enix said that it "has decided that it wants to focus on original titles for the Switch. If Octopath Traveler does well and this is something that appeals to fans, we want to focus on Switch. Please pick up the Switch if you want to play games like Octopath Traveler." I think its new division devoted to Switch is going to be very busy and that Square Enix itself is going to look very smart for establishing it.
I really hope so.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The producer was specifically asking the guy interviewing him to stop asking about it because (in his own words) he continued to "press for answers." It's not like he's telling people to stop asking about it altogether, and I don't think it's unreasonable for them to want to focus on talking about the versions they're actually releasing in a few months.

Those questions wouldn't exist if Square-Enix hadn't been unreasonable and spat big game in the first place. Now they don't wanna talk anymore. No harm in pointing out how seemingly everybody in this company seems to have their foot permanently placed in their mouth.

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
Those questions wouldn't exist if Square-Enix hadn't been unreasonable and spat big game in the first place. Now they don't wanna talk anymore. No harm in pointing out how seemingly everybody in this company seems to have their foot permanently placed in their mouth.

They did talk about it, and they did attempt to answer one of the writer's questions. It's not like they sat down to the interview and said "don't ask us about the Switch version" right from the start. If someone's going to keep asking about a subject that a developer or an executive can't give more of an answer to than they already have, of course they're going to be asked to stop at some point. If someone kept pressing Reggie about Metroid Prime 4 after he explained why it wasn't at this year's E3 and why Nintendo doesn't want to talk about the game right now, they'd get the same response. This isn't something that's exclusive to Square Enix.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They did talk about it, and they did attempt to answer one of the writer's questions. It's not like they sat down to the interview and said "don't ask us about the Switch version" right from the start. If someone's going to keep asking about a subject that a developer or an executive can't give more of an answer to than they already have, of course they're going to be asked to stop at some point. If someone kept pressing Reggie about Metroid Prime 4 after he explained why it wasn't at this year's E3 and why Nintendo doesn't want to talk about the game right now, they'd get the same response. This isn't something that's exclusive to Square Enix.

We don't have to pretend that this situation is a common occurrence.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it could be a "we won't talk about it until PS4/PC" versions are out thing. It very well could.

They keep suggesting technical issues and trouble achieving their vision though instead of just saying "we aren't talking about that yet(; it is coming along though)", which gives something of the impression of them slowly backing out on it, imo.

I could see it disappearing. I could also see it coming to fruition. But we are to the point where I can see an announced title disappearing, which I think says something about the situation.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
They screwed up bad with DQXIs western release too, it would have had the entire summer to itself but they took so long to localize that now its sandwiched between Spiderman and Tomb Raider. Code Vein also comes out that month.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
DQXI would have been so much less awkward if Switch=Wii U. DQ really got trapped with the failure of Wii U and then (to a lesser extent) PS4 in Japan.