• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 3 FES might be the closest thing, maybe.
It was sold as a standalone release in Japan but there also was some kind of incentive for original Persona 3 users and also a SKU with both the original game with added content and the extra story?
It's been a decade and I'm not too sure anymore, I think duckroll mentioned it (when talking about SMTIV Final sales two years ago)

Anyway I don't really know how the game will be tracked, like will it appear in Famitsu digital monthly chart?
Nintendo probably won't share anything if it doesn't cross 1M too which will probably not happen.

As for Japan 50-75% of Xenoblade 2 sales should be the target (retail+digital).

You need to buy another full price copy, my younger self still hurt from that.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
imn gonna imply you are being serious, the number here will be an extremely difficult matter, as people that bough the season pass (I did) are getting the Golden Country Prequel by defualt without needing to buy the Stand Alone
That doesn't matter though. It's not so much about whether the expansion itself is a success on a whole, and more about gauging whether it was worth positioning it as a stand alone retail release at 40 bucks. The retail sales will determine that.

So that would be about 1/4 conversion rate from the retail sales of the original game to retail expansion?

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
That doesn't matter though. It's not so much about whether the expansion itself is a success on a whole, and more about gauging whether it was worth positioning it as a stand alone retail release at 40 bucks. The retail sales will determine that.
not really, unless you expect lots of people that bough the season pass to double dip just to get a box as they already know they are getting the content, sooner and by a cheaper overall price

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I know I likely know more about games than em
https://kotaku.com/nintendos-shareholder-q-a-is-always-good-for-a-laugh-1783124836

you just need to read the transcript of the Q&A session to know this is not a baseless claim
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those are the same investors that thought Nintendo 100% owned Pokemon GO and it was in house developed

Let me get this straight. You think because some people have asked stupid questions before the entire company isn't priced correctly on the stock market?

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

So that would be about 1/4 conversion rate from the retail sales of the original game to retail expansion?

I'm on the fence about buying it or buying the DLC. I can get the DLC for much cheaper, and since the retail comes with a one time use code for the DLC, even though it is on the cart the resale for it will be bad. Then again it comes in a case and I can put it on new video game shelf I just ordered. So I think I will flip a coin soon and decide. I think it it doesn't sell well as retail that is no real indication of how well it did sell.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
not really, unless you expect lots of people that bough the season pass to double dip just to get a box as they already know they are getting the content, sooner and by a cheaper overall price
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying that Nintendo deciding to do a retail release for this and make it a stand alone release was a mistake that has no appeal to any audience? Confusing.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying that Nintendo deciding to do a retail release for this and make it a stand alone release was a mistake that has no appeal to any audience? Confusing.
wont be the 1st time they release a DLC either stand alone or already mixed with the OG, didnt they did it for Super Luigi U too?

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
wont be the 1st time they release a DLC either stand alone or already mixed with the OG, didnt they did it for Super Luigi U too?
I'm confused with what you're trying to say. I'm merely saying that it is worth examining whether a retail release itself is successful or not. You seem to be saying that it doesn't matter and we shouldn't bother considering it at all.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

I only know about me, but I am double dipping. I will always support physical media as a way of preserving my hobby. Rebought a lot of games I already owned on Switch and Vita as Limited Run editions.

But yeah.. I might be the exception to the rule.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I'm confused with what you're trying to say. I'm merely saying that it is worth examining whether a retail release itself is successful or not. You seem to be saying that it doesn't matter and we shouldn't bother considering it at all.
im saying using the physical release as a measure of the success of GC is dumb cause many people already will get the game from the Season Pass.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
What are people arguing exactly? Judging Switch outlook by means of traditional parameters is wrong. No one cares about E3 in the mainstream. Switch is a hot product and has the right games. Hardcore players will always have a second platform to play with. 2019 will have mainline Pokémon and likely Animal Crossing.

What is the bomba line for XB2 DLC in Japan retail? Under 100k? Under 75k? Under 50k?

Hard to say because it is expected many people will buy the DLC on the eShop. If Nintendo advertise the prequel they might attract some new customers though so 50-70k seems as good prediction.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Their stock dropped like 16% after e3...... This wasn't just enthusiasts who thought the e3 was bad.

They've had a bleh year in 2018 and didn't show any new information other than:

-Fire Emblem and Yoshi got delayed
-They didn't get a single new AAA third party announcement
-Smash is launching later than expected
-They had no other major surprises (unless a port of NSMBU or something would count as major) for 2018.
Their stock drops and rises sometimes by huge amounts all the time, and sometimes for no reason, people who knows all about stocks tell us time and time again to stop caring about them because Nintendo sure doesn't, its gonna skyrocket by the time Pokemon comes out anyways

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What is the bomba line for XB2 DLC in Japan retail? Under 100k? Under 75k? Under 50k?

That seems incredibly difficult to assess without knowing retail production costs, minimum print run and digital sales of the season pass.

I wonder how many are going to buy the standalone DLC without owning the main-game. I know I am but I am probably in the minority.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
How would you measure if a physical release itself is successful ?

Revenue vs price it cost to make the boxes ?

I'm actually far more interested in how successful the release is at being a stand alone product.

That seems incredibly difficult to assess without knowing retail production costs, minimum print run and digital sales of the season pass.

I wonder how many are going to buy the standalone DLC without owning the main-game. I know I am but I am probably in the minority.

That's exactly it though. The entire purpose of having this retail release to begin with, is because they think there is a market for those who might be interested in Xenoblade 2 but haven't bought the game itself yet for whatever reason. This is a smaller and cheaper product that they can try as a new game, that also acts as a Trojan Horse for selling more XB2 if they like it. Is there an actual market for this? That's what we should be looking at with regards to the physical release. Not double-dippers.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if dropping the price will actually help their 16% post-e3 stock drop though...
The way I see it, their stock dropped by 16% (I'll take your word for it, haven't checked if it still this way or maybe worse :-)) most probably because some people became afraid that Nintendo won't reach their 20 million FY target (or maybe they were afraid that people will be afraid and so preempted it...). So what it will take for it to recover is whatever will make more people believe again that they will reach that target.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's exactly it though. The entire purpose of having this retail release to begin with, is because they think there is a market for those who might be interested in Xenoblade 2 but haven't bought the game itself yet for whatever reason. This is a smaller and cheaper product that they can try as a new game, that also acts as a Trojan Horse for selling more XB2 if they like it. Is there an actual market for this? That's what we should be looking at with regards to the physical release. Not double-dippers.

That is an interesting point. If that is the purpose of retail Torna, its success must also be measured on the effect it has on Xenoblade 2 sales. I also don't know how Nintendo's communication has been in Japan for the standalone release but the ERA thread was full of confused people who didn't really get what this was supposed to be. The European boxart looks like this is just a cheap expansion rather than how you'd brand a standalone release.

I can't think of any similar releases to compare it to. The closest (and still not very close) is Lost Legacy which did like a fifth of UC4's sales in Japan. So, uh, 20k FW?

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
[UPDATE] Switch physical games, Japan, Summer (44 games)

June 07: Little Nightmares
June 08: Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
June 14: GOD WARS: Great War of Japanese Mythology
June 21: THE 密室からの脱出 ~運命をつなぐ35の謎~
June 21: THE 麻雀
June 21: Minecraft
June 22: Mario Tennis Ace
June 28: Ys VIII : Lacrimosa of Dana
June 28: Death Mark

July 12: Shining Resonance Refrain
July 13: Octopath Traveler
July 13: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
July 19: Sonic Mania Plus
July 19: Taiko Drum Master: Nintendo Switch Version!
July 19: Closed Nightmare
July 19: 不思議の幻想郷TOD -RELOADED-
July 26: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou
July 26: Rockman X Anniversary Collection 1&2
July 26: Dragon Quest X All in One Package
July 26: Makai Senki Disgaea Refine
July 26: Waku Waku Doubutsu Land
July 26: Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai: Library Party
July 26: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

August 02: SaGa : Scarlet Grace - Hiiro no Yabô
August 02: Code of Princess EX
August 02: Pro Yakyuu Famista Evolution
August 02: LEGO: The Incredibles
August 09: Okami HD
August 09: Waku Waku Sweets: Amai Okashi ga Dekiru kana?
August 09: Jake Hunter Detective Story: Prism of Eyes
August 09: Darkest Dungeon
August 09: Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires Conspiracy DX
August 23: My Hero Academia: One's Justice
August 30: Psyvariar Delta
August 30: Little Dragons Cafe
August 30: Tennis World Tour
August 30: Blade Strangers

September 06: Hakuoki Shinkai: Fuukaden
September 06: SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy
September 07: NBA 2K19
September 13: Code: Realize ~Bouquet of Rainbows~
September 20: STEINS; GATE ELITE
September 20: ニル・アドミラリの天秤 色ドリ撫子 (Nil Admirari no Tenbin: Teito Genwaku Kitan)
September 21: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna: The Golden Country

Switch physical games, Japan, Fall (12 games)

September 25/28: FIFA 19
September 27: Dragon Ball FighterZ
September 27: Warriors Orochi 3
September 27: WORK × WORK
September 27: NORN 9 LOFN
September 27: Valkyria Chronicles 4

October 04: Rockman 11: Gear of Destiny!!
October 05: Super Mario Party
October 25: Beyblade Burst: Battle Zero

November 16: Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu
November 16: Pokémon Let's Go, Eevee

December 07: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Oh Thank God for BeyBlade in October we are saved.
I'm guessing it's rated CERO : Z for the cursing, nudity and blood.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
im surprised with the expectations here for the XC2 DLC. I was anticipating like 10-20k, the physical edition being bought mostly by collectors and enthusiasts - with probably around 50k downloads online. 70k out of ~200k overall seems like a very positive outcome for dlc, let alone for the physical release alone.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
That is an interesting point. If that is the purpose of retail Torna, its success must also be measured on the effect it has on Xenoblade 2 sales. I also don't know how Nintendo's communication has been in Japan for the standalone release but the ERA thread was full of confused people who didn't really get what this was supposed to be. The European boxart looks like this is just a cheap expansion rather than how you'd brand a standalone release.

I can't think of any similar releases to compare it to. The closest (and still not very close) is Lost Legacy which did like a fifth of UC4's sales in Japan. So, uh, 20k FW?
the mixed signal parts was that the 40$ is not GC alone but also includes the DLC (Challenge Mode, Poppy Buster, ETC... , BUT to play said DLC you need X2 OG, not GC)

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia

I'll probably do that too. I don't know how that could be, but the things I've seen from this caught my attention more than the full game.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore

There are no mixed signals in Japan. The language used to describe the product from the day it was announced is extremely clear and detailed.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
GC is pretty much just more of Xenoblade 2, so I don't think there are many who have not been interested by XBC2 suddenly become interested in GC.
Is there any drastic changes in GC? The characters are pretty much the same (minus 1 from what we know so far) and the battle system is exactly the same.
Maybe in Japan the sales will be decent (maybe 20-30% XBC2 sales?), since the country is still not as into digital as west, but I'm expecting niche sales for GC elsewhere.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
GC is pretty much just more of Xenoblade 2, so I don't think there are many who have not been interested by XBC2 suddenly become interested in GC.
Is there any drastic changes in GC? The characters are pretty much the same (minus 1 from what we know so far) and the battle system is exactly the same.
Maybe in Japan the sales will be decent (maybe 20-30% XBC2 sales?), since the country is still not as into digital as west, but I'm expecting niche sales for GC elsewhere.

The battle system is pretty different and at least half the main cast is new characters in regards to playability (actually from this standpoint, since none of the blades aside for one were directly controllable, that actually makes most of the cast new, gameplay wise).

There's an entirely new camping system out of Grandia as well. Probably more we don't know about yet.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Persona 3 FES might be the closest thing, maybe.
It was sold as a standalone release in Japan but there also was some kind of incentive for original Persona 3 users and also a SKU with both the original game with added content and the extra story?
It's been a decade and I'm not too sure anymore, I think duckroll mentioned it (when talking about SMTIV Final sales two years ago)

Anyway I don't really know how the game will be tracked, like will it appear in Famitsu digital monthly chart?
Nintendo probably won't share anything if it doesn't cross 1M too which will probably not happen.

As for Japan 50-75% of Xenoblade 2 sales should be the target (retail+digital).

Well retail release will be tracked by the usual trackrs. Famitsu will not have anything in their monthly chart since the stand-alone release is only for retail (unless I missed something?). Doubt Nintendo will provide any numbers, yeah.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
As an aside, you guys are crazy if you think the "current atmosphere" after E3 doesn't affect them at all. Reggie was asked on fucking Bloomberg why was the show so disappointing. The Nintendo France guy had to do the same kind of lip service when asked about it by Le Figaro (which is a mainstream newspaper by the way, not some gaming blog). The news spread around, the narrative was set, justified or not.

But that (bolded) is the point.

Meahnwhile Gaming is mainstream, so of course mainstream newspapers cover stories like these or the crossplay dilemma. But does it affect their strategy at all? I dont think so, not because of a stock hiccup, raging investors or because of hysterical social media activities. This would surely be crazy of them.

_Dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I think they MIGHT have Fire Emblem out in March.

And they'll probably have a port in February or so.

But the Switch's Q1 is going to rely more on Smash and Pokemon than major releases compared to the ridiculous onslaught on the PS4 and Xbox One.

DMC5: 2-3m worldwide seller probably
RE2: 5-7m ww
Days Gone/Crackdown 3: 7m/2m
Kingdom Hearts 3: 10m+
The Division 2: 15m+
Anthem: 10m+
Metro Exodus: IDK, but the other games will do a lot.
Don't you think you're overestimating the sales of some of those games?

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I think they MIGHT have Fire Emblem out in March.

And they'll probably have a port in February or so.

But the Switch's Q1 is going to rely more on Smash and Pokemon than major releases compared to the ridiculous onslaught on the PS4 and Xbox One.

DMC5: 2-3m worldwide seller probably
RE2: 5-7m ww
Days Gone/Crackdown 3: 7m/2m
Kingdom Hearts 3: 10m+
The Division 2: 15m+
Anthem: 10m+
Metro Exodus: IDK, but the other games will do a lot.

How many of those games are system sellers?

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
My Youtube recommendations suddenly reminded me that Zanki Zero will be released in 2 weeks on PS4/PSV

As expected from Spike Chunsoft and part of the staff involved it does look a bit like Danganronpa minus the trials plus D-RPG features.

... will it even sell 50k LTD all SKU combined?

EDIT

Oh and since I did read a few very optimistic predictions about worldwide numbers for KHIII, is everyone aware that, unlike KH1 & 2, KH3 will apparently only have english and japanese dub?
For a game that is story heavy and that want to appeal to an audience as wide as possible that's a handicap worth mentioning.

Last edited:

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think any sale of GC retail is a win for Nintendo. I don't have any expectations for it at all. It may result in some XBC2 sales, but such an increase will be spread out over many weeks and hardly noticeable in the charts.

Oh and since I did read a few very optimistic predictions about worldwide numbers for KHIII, is everyone aware that, unlike KH1 & 2, KH3 will apparently only have english and japanese dub?
For a game that is story heavy and that want to appeal to an audience as wide as possible that's a handicap worth mentioning.
Rip 8 million French sales.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017

Its an interesting question. In a way, the game feels like a complete new game with a more adult cast and a revamped battle system. It actually might behave as a sequel in sales, bringing in new audiences but also being dragged down by digital purchases and season pass purchases. I feel that the people who buy this are either new audiences who didnt buy the first game or the ones who bought the original but holded off on the season pass (like me). The sales could be high. If it ends up doing above 100k figures it would be a major success and a sign that the franchise is growing.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The Golden Country's sales being under 50k would be disappointing. That said we really need to see how Nintendo positions the title and promotes it. It's a meaty stand alone expansion that will cost half as much as the original game. They may be able to sell this to people who want an entry RPG.u

Playing the Golden Country basically removes a ton of the story beats from XC2 if you havent played it yet. If I was Nintendo I would sell it as though XC2 barely existed and this is its own awesome standalone RPG you should get and its cheap.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I think for sales of Golden Country, really any number could be a win, obviously there is the expense of designing and manufacturing the case and carts, as well as shipping, however I think we could consider most of its sales to be people who A) was on the fence about buying the expansion pass, B) want to try out the series without the full investment in 2, C) people who like to give monolithsoft money.

Can't do worse than Sushi Strikers.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Stupid question maybe but can you even play the expansion without having played a single second of the main game?