• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much.

Tri = MHW
Portable 3rd = upcoming Switch title

Why would we as the public hear of such internal rift ? There is no way that everyone was immediately on board when they decided to skip portables with the next main title without some kind of plan B. For all we know X, XX and X HD and the Xbox One MHW version happened because there were people that didnt wanna put all eggs in one basket.
X and XX happened as stopgap solutions because there was no way MH5 would be ready by 2015 and this is prety obvious since X´s purpose was to be an allstar game, some kind of best of the franchise with minimal financial involvement.

It's also prety obvious MHW was running behind on schedule and led to the release of XX (and that angered the fans).

As for internal rifts, you would expect shakeups within the company, there were none to speak of

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
As for internal rifts, you would expect shakeups within the company, there were none to speak of
Not at all. There were rifts and they worked it out. Different opinions or not being being convinced at whatever point in time doesnt mean that things cant change during the development of the title.

Disagreement in your professional work environment happen all the times for whatever reason...thats why we have non-stop meeting during the day....and they dont result in some major shake-ups or people getting fired because of it. No, the people pushing a different agenda try to convince the other side or the different party meet somewhere in between. Which is likely what happened here since MHW was released and the IP will still appear on Switch.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Irc Portable 3 sold 2.5 times as much as Tri did on Wii.

If that ratio would hold for MHW to MHSwitch that would mean something like 20 million copies sold, which will never happen.

But i could see MHSwitch reaching 8m sold, though with a higher Japan to ROTW ratio than world.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Can someone smarter than me explain why so many games are out the last week of September? I'm assuming it has something to do with it being the last week of the fiscal quarter?

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Kumo Tomo shipments must be over 250k in Japan by now, western sales were affected from 3DS syndrome.

2013 CY {2012.12.31 - 2013.12.29} 085. [3DS] Teddy Together <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.06.20} (¥4.743) - 111.238 / 111.238
2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28} 113. [3DS] Teddy Together <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.06.20} (¥4.743) - 72.074 / 183.312
2015 CY {2014.12.29 - 2016.01.03} 300. [3DS] Teddy Together <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.06.20} (¥4.743) - 17.312 / 200.624
2016 CY {2016.01.04 - 2017.01.01} 875. [3DS] Teddy Together <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.06.20} (¥4.743) - 1.492 / 202.116

2016 CY {2016.01.04 - 2017.01.01} 232. [3DS] Teddy Together [Nintendo Selects] <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.03.17} (¥2.700) - 21.242 / 21.242
Doesn't hiska-kun have the data from the CY 2017 whitebook already? :eyes:

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
"Internal rift" does not automatically mean shakeup unless you want to force some narrative

Not at all. There were rifts and they worked it out. Different opinions or not being being convinced at whatever point in time doesnt mean that things cant change during the development of the title.

Disagreement in your professional work environment happen all the times for whatever reason...thats why we have non-stop meeting during the day....and they dont result in some major shake-ups or people getting fired because of it. No, the people pushing a different agenda try to convince the other side or the different party meet somewhere in between. Which is likely what happened here since MHW was released and the IP will still appear on Switch.

In all the teams/companies I've worked at, internal rifts led to teams restructurations. Not firing people but shuffling things around to ease tensions and make people work on more fulfilling projects. This is actually part of my day to day job. You can do as many kaizens as you want, if people are unhappy and you don't somewhat listen it will get ugly.

I saw no major shuffling or even moderate ones that could point towards internal troubles.

My own take is that prety much everyone was on board with MHW from the get go.

After all, MH4 was the only entry without a home consoles release.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
My own take is that prety much everyone was on board with MHW from the get go.

After all, MH4 was the only entry without a home consoles release.

MH5/MHW was always going to exist - the issue was them abandoning their traditional portable market and the relationship with Nintendo.
Capcom could have gone ahead with MH5 as a PS4 exclusive (+ maybe PC release) without letting the door open for MH titles on the Switch. That was likely the reason some people were worried.....going for a new audience is always a risk even if its potentially bigger market.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
MH5/MHW was always going to exist - the issue was them abandoning their traditional portable market and the relationship with Nintendo.
Capcom could have gone ahead with MH5 as a PS4 exclusive (+ maybe PC release) without letting the door open for MH titles on the Switch. That was likely the reason some people were worried.....going for a new audience is always a risk even if its potentially bigger market.
Eh as I said I doubt there were rifts or disagreements. As I said, MH4 was the only entry that didn't debut on home consoles.

I have no doubts a portable game was going to happen at some point a few years down the road (think MHTri/MHP3 gap).

Again you guys misunderstood my initial stance. I do believe that the company as a whole is fully behind the western maket goal the management is aiming for.

The last time we had real issues within Capcom, top talent left. This time? None so I don't believe it happened or t was vastly exagerated

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily. Different target audiences react in different ways. The fact that Sony and Microsoft's main target audience is young (mostly male) adults plays a role. But this is not the topic of the thread.
My guess is that the general group of people doing "console wars" online are for the most part likely the same demographic (young(er) males), so i dont think theres really much of a difference in that regards. I also think that the majority of console owners (Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony) are also in this category if i'm not mistaken. But i agree that this isnt really the topic for this discussion, so i wont go much into it. I just wanted to comment on that =)

Pretty much.

Tri = MHW
Portable 3rd = upcoming Switch title
Would it be fair to call Portable 3rd as some form of G-release? Would it be expected that the potential upcoming MH Switch title would be "MHWG" in a sense, or that PS4/Xbox One/PC will also get a MHWG?

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Would it be fair to call Portable 3rd as some form of G-release? Would it be expected that the potential upcoming MH Switch title would be "MHWG" in a sense, or that PS4/Xbox One/PC will also get a MHWG?
The games were quite diffrent though - Portable 3rd had a lot of content that wasn't in Tri and didn't feature the underwater battles which were a main selling point for Tri.

More importantly Tri had it's a G Release on 3DS and WiiU later.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The most likely scenario is that whatever MH Switch will be will keep the core gameplay from MHX & MHXX (so the styles and all the stuff MHW decided to remove to streamline the games) and be its own different thing, like Portable games were. MH Switch should be similar to what Portable 5 would be if the subseries still existed today, while PS4/One should get either MHWG next year or straight-up MHW2/MH6 in 2020 or later.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I just checked out that Creator contest Nintendo has been running for Labo, and i noticed that one of the rewards for being a winner/finallist/semi finallist is a "special prise to be announced later".

What are the chances such a prise might be an advance copy of a new Labo kit ?(to go along with the Special Labo themed switch that will go directly to Ebay for 5 times market price )

Is there any precedence of a game company giving advance copies of something new to contest winners from the community ?

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Not that it's important anymore but just for the record Gundam is approaching 60% off and used copies are even lower.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just checked out that Creator contest Nintendo has been running for Labo, and i noticed that one of the rewards for being a winner/finallist/semi finallist is a "special prise to be announced later".

What are the chances such a prise might be an advance copy of a new Labo kit ?(to go along with the Special Labo themed switch that will go directly to Ebay for 5 times market price )

Is there any precedence of a game company giving advance copies of something new to contest winners from the community ?
Isnt the special price a Labo-themed switch ser?

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
The games were quite diffrent though - Portable 3rd had a lot of content that wasn't in Tri and didn't feature the underwater battles which were a main selling point for Tri.

More importantly Tri had it's a G Release on 3DS and WiiU later.
Thats true, i was just thinking in the sense of releasing. The "follow up" to Tri was Portable 3rd. We didnt see a TriG being released about a year after Tri like we've seen with other MH games. So i'm wondering if MH Switch will basically be like Portable 3rd in the sense that this will replace a potential MHWG, or if we will see two MH games releasing relatively close to eachother (MHWG can still come out a year before or after MH Switch though).

The most likely scenario is that whatever MH Switch will be will keep the core gameplay from MHX & MHXX (so the styles and all the stuff MHW decided to remove to streamline the games) and be its own different thing, like Portable games were. MH Switch should be similar to what Portable 5 would be if the subseries still existed today, while PS4/One should get either MHWG next year or straight-up MHW2/MH6 in 2020 or later.
That sounds plausible. I wonder what will be released first, if MHWG will be released in Q1/Q2 2019, and when a potential MH Switch game will released.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It's also prety obvious MHW was running behind on schedule and led to the release of XX (and that angered the fans).

Naw. XX was happening regardless. People who thought we were getting a MH without a G rank portion have not been payimg attention. Capcom (and companies as a whole) arent going to let you know the better product is coming in a years time.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Used copies ?
Isnt the game like less than a week old ?
Are people just buying it, playing it for 5 mins and then returning it ?

You'd be quite surprised at how fast some people finish games. Hell, there were even used copies of MHW on the day of release iirc (and there may have been someone trying to spin that as negative). Of course, it's really bad when the game gets poorly received, but even for healthy releases (good reception, good sales and legs), you end up finding used copies pretty fast. Of course, prices aren't going to be the same at all depending on whether game has good reception or not.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Naw. XX was happening regardless. People who thought we were getting a MH without a G rank portion have not been payimg attention. Capcom (and companies as a whole) arent going to let you know the better product is coming in a years time.
Capcom specifically mentionned that there would be no G version this time

This is why fans were unhappy

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I know what they said. Wasn't happening though.
Did they ever comment on that after releasing XX?

what if they actually make a G version and that G version is their work around Sony's Exclusivity?
XX was released close to a year before MHW (and the developement of MHW started about 4 years ago i think), so i dont think they had such an agreement that Capcom couldnt release MH games before MHW. If there is an exclusive deal in place, i would assume that it counts from the release of MHW, and only being valid for a certain amount of time.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If any one wants a review on Gundam, Austin Walker did a bit on it on the recent Waypoint Radio Podcast.

The game is, in short, broken. Like literally does not work in recurring intervals and its mechanics are busted.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Did they ever comment on that after releasing XX?

XX was released close to a year before MHW (and the developement of MHW started about 4 years ago i think), so i dont think they had such an agreement that Capcom couldnt release MH games before MHW. If there is an exclusive deal in place, i would assume that it counts from the release of MHW, and only being valid for a certain amount of time.
Personally I dont believe MHW was in "at least full" development for 4 years. ignoring that TFhat. Depending how contract is made, some few changes is all that is needed to bypass em. Nier 1 changed Nier Character model, additional versions (like say Gs) could also be out of the contract.

Personally I believe Capcom intended to drop MH from Nintendo, but after Switch growth and that will become Market leader in Japan, they had a change of heart (Wallet)

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
If any one wants a review on Gundam, Austin Walker did a bit on it on the recent Waypoint Radio Podcast.

The game is, in short, broken. Like literally does not work in recurring intervals and its mechanics are busted.

Since dropping japanese words is alright now, Sasuga Bamco
Though they have a timeline of incoming patchs apparently, like Extreme VS Force had iirc, but that's already too late.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't see a G version happening due to Capcom saying it's impossible to port it, but maybe something equivalent to portable 3rd.

MHW assets, but maybe sectioned off levels with loading screens to help with performance.
I guess the issue would be if they choose MHW assets using MH4/XX monsters wouldn't be likely.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP) that sold around 4.9 million in Japan. Switch MH is not going to match that. Especially when we now have popular home console series too that splits the sales somewhat (MHW).
Japan only I tend to agree, but if one takes WW into account I can see MH Switch going beyond that (MHP3rd was a Japan only title).

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I dont believe MHW was in "at least full" development for 4 years. ignoring that TFhat. Depending how contract is made, some few changes is all that is needed to bypass em. Nier 1 changed Nier Character model, additional versions (like say Gs) could also be out of the contract.

Personally I believe Capcom intended to drop MH from Nintendo, but after Switch growth and that will become Market leader in Japan, they had a change of heart (Wallet)
Who knows. Personally, i feel that such strict contract wasnt in place (not being able to release another MH game on another platform almost a year before MHW). I agree that MHW wasnt in full force developement for 4 years. I just mentioned that to show that its been in developement for quite some time, and a potential contract between Capcom and Sony might have been done perhaps 2-3 years before the release of MHW.

Do we know if the two Nier versions were done to get around an exclusive deal? I know that Nier was suppose to be Xbox 360 exclusive to begin with, but i think it would be a pretty bad contract if they could just release another version of the game with minimal changes at the same day, and that this would get around an exclusive contract.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

I don't see a G version happening due to Capcom saying it's impossible to port it, but maybe something equivalent to portable 3rd.

MHW assets, but maybe sectioned off levels with loading screens to help with performance.
I guess the issue would be if they choose MHW assets using MH4/XX monsters wouldn't be likely.

But is impossible technically wise or "we are hands tied" to port cause the 1st is a laughable premise imo, but, who knows

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017

The "paid for" thing doesn't have to be direct exchange of money.
We know that MH on 3DS went through Nintendo heavily promoting the series in the west.
Likewise, MHW went through heavy marketing in Japan with Sony's ad money; that Takayuki Yamada TV ad was all on the spot held by Sony.

Oct 25, 2017
But is impossible technically wise or "we are hands tied" to port cause the 1st is a laughable premise imo, but, who knows
Honestly it's probably a bunch of things.
Capcom probably doesn't want to put much effort into AAA switch ports, a port of World a year or so later seems lackluster in a series known for expansions every year or so, and maybe some contracts.

The best way to avoid that is a new game

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
It's the first time after a long time there are big releases, the blog could leak something tomorrow before the official Media Create report.
___

This will be an important week for PS4 July and August baseline, if it doesn't remain over 20k it might see some sub 15k weeks. There isn't anything that can top 100k until Winning Eleven at 30 August and that's hardly a system seller. September - December has some good sellers but not the big release.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
My guess is that the general group of people doing "console wars" online are for the most part likely the same demographic (young(er) males), so i dont think theres really much of a difference in that regards. I also think that the majority of console owners (Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony) are also in this category if i'm not mistaken. But i agree that this isnt really the topic for this discussion, so i wont go much into it. I just wanted to comment on that =)

It is well known that Nintendo platforms have typically more heterogenous demographic groups than Sony/Microsoft ones. Online forums are mostly inhabited by young male adults. Also, within groups there are differences in terms of preferences or attitudes. The "both side" argument fails.

Is there still someone who, in 2018, actually thinks there exists explicit money-hatting...? It's all about marketing deals, lower royalties, more resources, priorities versus other developers. This is how Sony became Sony in the video game sector, after all.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
It's the first time after a long time there are big releases, the blog could leak something tomorrow before the official Media Create report.
___

This will be an important week for PS4 July and August baseline, if it doesn't remain over 20k it might see some sub 15k weeks. There isn't anything that can top 100k until Winning Eleven at 30 August and that's hardly a system seller. September - December has some good sellers but not the big release.
Oh wait, Winning Eleven is in August?
Konami probably missed the news that there's this big soccer event going on right now that would have perfectly coincided with a release of new soccer game.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt MH fanbase is split. Not many went from 3DS -> PS4, it was just PS4 people picking a big release. Thing is, 3DS -> Switch still hasn't happened in general too, so I don't think it will sell well. I also don't think a MH for Switch will ever be high effort and will be compared with World. The game will sell less than previous handheld versions in Japan. Then maybe sells more in the west.

Why do you always bring up this bs when this thread literally told people over a million times that this game is Sony exclusive in Asia? It's not available on Xbox and won't be on PC. Not even in Japan, where Capcom publishes even all their Xbox titles digitally.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ