• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I suppose I'm in the minority here but I honestly find the endless doomsaying about how PlayStation will do in Japan so pointless. Like Kerotan says Sony's consoles are massive successes globally and they simply do not care that much about Japan. Meanwhile they continue to get strong support from all the biggest Japanese third parties. Where is the incentive to change their strategy? They've ceded the bulk of the Japanese market to Nintendo, and they are evidently fine with that, especially when Capcom and Square Enix are still supplying them with their biggest titles, often exclusively.

Third parties treating Switch as an afterthought is another talking point which has been beaten to death, but at least that one has more merit from a business standpoint.

I find Kero's ongoing spinning of Sony's current performance in Japan positively a bit ridiculous at times, but I think he generally has the right idea about how their priorities are correct on a global scale. It's good that we live in a time where both Sony and Nintendo are able to co-exist and thrive, using different approaches to hardware and software. Attempts to downplay the success of one or the other just feels like blatant console warring, to me.

Pretty much. We already know Sony has decided to focus on Western growth and properties for their hardware and software. They still get all the software in Japan anyway. Anyone with eyes can see it is the correct strategy. Why do we beat this dead horse so much?

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
I suppose I'm in the minority here but I honestly find the endless doomsaying about how PlayStation will do in Japan so pointless. Like Kerotan says Sony's consoles are massive successes globally and they simply do not care that much about Japan. Meanwhile they continue to get strong support from all the biggest Japanese third parties. Where is the incentive to change their strategy? They've ceded the bulk of the Japanese market to Nintendo, and they are evidently fine with that, especially when Capcom and Square Enix are still supplying them with their biggest titles, often exclusively.

Third parties treating Switch as an afterthought is another talking point which has been beaten to death, but at least that one has more merit from a business standpoint.

I find Kero's ongoing spinning of Sony's current performance in Japan positively a bit ridiculous at times, but I think he generally has the right idea about how their priorities are correct on a global scale. It's good that we live in a time where both Sony and Nintendo are able to co-exist and thrive, using different approaches to hardware and software. Attempts to downplay the success of one or the other just feels like blatant console warring, to me.

I kind of go back and forth on this.

On one hand, yea I basically agree and have said as much- Sony's strategy clearly is not focused at all on Japan and they did just fine with PS4, and unless/until they start losing major Japanese 3rd party games to Nintendo, the Japan hardware sales are increasingly meaningless.

On the other hand..we're in a thread devoted to Japanese hardware and software sales! If we're not going to discuss the hardware sales potential of a brand new platform in Japan..then what's the point of the thread? Unless we seriously want to consider just talking about balance sheets and worldwide revenue and just..ignore sales.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Pretty much. We already know Sony has decided to focus on Western growth and properties for their hardware and software. They still get all the software in Japan anyway. Anyone with eyes can see it is the correct strategy. Why do we beat this dead horse so much?

MC threads once we get the top 30 numbers always derail into the same 3 or 4 discussions: Monster Hunter Switch when?, PS5 predictions, doom-posting when the occasional Harada/Nagoshi title is PS4 only, Switch vs DS/3DS.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MC threads once we get the top 30 numbers always derail into the same 3 or 4 discussions: Monster Hunter Switch when?, PS5 predictions, doom-posting when the occasional Harada/Nagoshi title is PS4 only, Switch vs DS/3DS.
we should instead talk about how DQ11S is still charting 9 months after release, which is super rare for any JRPG not named pokemon

Roy83

Jan 4, 2018
Famitsu Sales: Week 24, 2020 (Jun 08 - Jun 14) - New Milestones

+4.800.000
[NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2020.03.20} (¥5.980) - 77.259 / 4.860.488 <80-100%> (-21%)

+2.100.000
[NSW] Super Mario Odyssey # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.10.27} (¥5.980) - 1.588 / 2.103.236 <80-100%>*
* Week 20, 2020 (May 11 - May 17): [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.10.27} (¥5.980) - 1.564 / 2.097.004 <80-100%> (-38%)

+1.000.000
[NSW] Ring Fit Adventure <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980) - 20.023 / 1.006.069 <80-100%> (-32%)

+100.000
[NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics <TBL> (Nintendo) {2020.06.05} (¥3.980) - 47.181 / 111.624 <80-100%> (-27%)

[NSW] Trials of Mana # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2020.04.24} (¥5.980) - 1.562 / 100.451 <80-100%> (-25%)

Previous milestones

Animal Crossing (Famitsu numbers)

[NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World - 5.241.655
[3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf [All Versions] - 5.107.404
[NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 4.860.488
[3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer - 1.479.329
[WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk - 1.221.459

Super Mario 3D (Famitsu numbers)

[3DS] Super Mario 3D Land - 2.111.490
[NSW] Super Mario Odyssey - 2.103.236
[N64] Super Mario 64 - 1.646.558
[NDS] Super Mario 64 DS - 1.231.891
[WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 1.046.696

Nintendo Fitness (Famitsu numbers)

[WII] Wii Fit - 254.009 / 3.561.787
[WII] Wii Fit Plus - 318.755 / 2.417.762
[NSW] Ring Fit Adventure - 68.497 / 1.006.069

Clubhouse Games

[NDS] Clubhouse Games - 630.777
[NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - 111.624

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, yea I basically agree and have said as much- Sony's strategy clearly is not focused at all on Japan and they did just fine with PS4, and unless/until they start losing major Japanese 3rd party games to Nintendo, the Japan hardware sales are increasingly meaningless.
The myth that only the major and big games matter with everything else being irrelevant is something many don't want to accept but it will become more clear next years.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
This industry is both constantly changing and brutal.

People expecting a status quo might end up surprised imo.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
The myth that only the major and big games matter with everything else being irrelevant is something many don't want to accept but it will become more clear next years.

Oh yea I agree with that and have made the same argument. But I do agree that *currently* for Sony's strategy, as long as they keep the major games they will not be fretting.

But the idea that Nintendo taking more and more overall marketshare is irrelevant now and in the future is extremely shortsighted.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I think the discussion is predicated on the belief that without a change of strategy the platform will continue to decline and at some point it will become unsustainable for Sony and third parties to continue with the status quo. I don't think that's likely because it would need not just decline, but complete collapse.

I will say that the implication that being more successful in Japan is mutually exclusive to success elsewhere is quite obviously not true though.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of go back and forth on this.

On the other hand..we're in a thread devoted to Japanese hardware and software sales! If we're not going to discuss the hardware sales potential of a brand new platform in Japan..then what's the point of the thread? Unless we seriously want to consider just talking about balance sheets and worldwide revenue and just..ignore sales.
I think this succinctly summarizes my thoughts on it. I agree with Sony's strategy in terms of global optimization, what they are doing is probably the right move or the most efficient at least. On the other hand, this is a thread about Japanese sales and in the context of the country, their moves can often be confounding.

There should be a way for them to create and sustain IP that do well in the Japanese market and globally like Nintendo has shown but they have not been interested or focused on doing so in a long time.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yea I agree with that and have made the same argument. But I do agree that *currently* for Sony's strategy, as long as they keep the major games they will not be fretting.

But the idea that Nintendo taking more and more overall marketshare is irrelevant now and in the future is extremely shortsighted.
Sony's strategy is clear for long time now but it's also clear that last years they move away quickly from a sizable part of a Japanese and western market that isn't interested only at a specific type of big budget games.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I think the discussion is predicated on the belief that without a change of strategy the platform will continue to decline and at some point it will become unsustainable for Sony and third parties to continue with the status quo. I don't think that's likely because it would need not just decline, but complete collapse.
It seems like PS4 software sales are indeed declining rapidly. It is very apparent in Chris' graph :

graph.png

Last edited:

MasonADC

Sep 28, 2018

So are people just... not suppose to talk about how the PlayStation brand is doing in japan? Yeah we all know Sony doesn't care about japan anymore but that doesn't mean all discussion about an active console in the market should cease

Oct 26, 2017
It's not really discussion when it's the same people saying the same things every week.

In non-Japan news, Ring Fit seems to be doing pretty well when it's actually back in stock, it's number 2 in the UK and France sales, so I think people may have been downplaying its potential a fair bit.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like PS4 software sales are indeed declining rapidly. It is very apparent in Chris' graph :

graph.png

Isn't that reliant on the line up each year though?

Even if you just think about the biggest title of each year it goes 4: Final Fantasy XV, 5: Dragon Quest XI, 6: Monster Hunter World, 7: Kingdom Hearts 3. It will be interesting to see how 2020 fares considering FFVIIR is the big game this year.

Cause for concern would be when you see individual software releases fail to get tractions or IPs fall to unsustainable levels, which I don't think has been happening. We haven't been seeing games bomb on PS4.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So are people just... not suppose to talk about how the PlayStation brand is doing in japan? Yeah we all know Sony doesn't care about japan anymore but that doesn't mean all discussion about an active console in the market should cease
I get it. But at the same time, why construct narratives that are not based in reality? I think there are reasonable ways to discuss PlayStation in Japan without simply looking at the numbers and making moribund proclamations. As much as this is a thread about Japan sales, I don't think pretending this market is isolated from the rest of the world makes any sense. To have informed and relevant discussion, everything should be considered in the context in which they are being considered by the industry (which is a global one).

I will say that the implication that being more successful in Japan is mutually exclusive to success elsewhere is quite obviously not true though.
I think if you consider Xbox a worst case scenario for where PlayStation is headed (obviously not realistic), it's still clear to me at least that a platform doesn't have to be successful to maintain a presence. I wouldn't say Microsoft is "satisfied" with Xbox in Japan, but are they resigned to it? Yeah, probably. Japanese third parties are still developing for Xbox and releasing them in Japan as well. If there comes a time when third parties realize they need to put most of their software on Switch alongside PlayStation, there will probably always be a subset of consumers who want the high-end experience rather than the convenience of Nintendo's platforms. Even if the PS audience continues to shrink domestically, if the brand is relatively stable globally they won't ever have to abandon their strategy here.

And I 100% agree about the mutual exclusivity point. I think there may be valid questions as to what sort of brand image you can project while having a strategy that will be highly successful in both Japan and the West, and it may not be the brand that Sony wants, but it's obviously possible.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Even if you just think about the biggest title of each year it goes 4: Final Fantasy XV, 5: Dragon Quest XI, 6: Monster Hunter World, 7: Kingdom Hearts 3. It will be interesting to see how 2020 fares considering FFVIIR is the big game this year.

Cause for concern would be when you see individual software releases fail to get tractions or IPs fall to unsustainable levels, which I don't think has been happening. We haven't been seeing games bomb on PS4.

Also DD sales increasing from 10 to around 25%

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
There have been no big bombs, it is rather a slow decline. Years ago thinking that FF VII Remake would have a hard time selling 66% of FF XIII would have seemed like a bad joke.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Software sales are normally following a curve. The fact that the PS4 entered this soon and this deeply the declining part of the curve is telling. They lost around ~3m-3.5m units in software in a year.

The current situation is not alarming, but the trend is. The PS3 was selling 12m units of SW in 2013, right before the PS4 launch. the PS4 might do less than 50% of that at retail this year, a gap so significant that the increase in digita share won't change the end result.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Some people need to be less defensive, that's all. Talking about the Playstation brands health and trends in Japan, in a Japanese sales related thread like this one is nothing to be surprised about.

But quite a few get really bothered when certain facts about Playstations decline in Japan are pointed out and seem to feel the need to defend "Playstations Honor" by either deflecting "but Asia, but, but Western market" and by almost trolling by severely downplaying Japan. Get a clue, in this thread we mostly talk about the Japanese market in particular.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Software sales are normally following a curve. The fact that the PS4 entered this soon and this deeply the declining part of the curve is telling. They lost around ~3m-3.5m units in software in a year.

The current situation is not alarming, but the trend is. The PS3 was selling 12m units of SW in 2013, right before the PS4 launch. the PS4 might do less than 50% of that at retail this year, a gap so significant that the increase in digita share won't change the end result.

Umm the chart you shared for this year , we need to wait till Dec end to see the comparison?

Or am I reading the chart wrong?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's not really discussion when it's the same people saying the same things every week.

In non-Japan news, Ring Fit seems to be doing pretty well when it's actually back in stock, it's number 2 in the UK and France sales, so I think people may have been downplaying its potential a fair bit.
Yeah, it should be ahead of 3.5M by the next report (although we may not find out if shipments aren't >1M this quarter). The 5M is already underestimating the game, the 10M crowd may be closer to reality. This game hasn't come close to its limit yet despite being over 3M already, so 10M in the long run seems possible imo.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

graph.png
Those PS3 years 6-8 look pretty impressive, although I guess in the grand scheme of things the absolute performance in not especially high. But the software hold is definitely strong. Did it have big releases between 2011 and 2013 that explain those peaks?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Those PS3 years 6-8 look pretty impressive, although I guess in the grand scheme of things the absolute performance in not especially high. But the software hold is definitely strong. Did it have big releases between 2011 and 2013 that explain those peaks?
Chris mentionned the collapse of the Wii and increased 3rd party support helped it (FFXIII-2, GTAV, RE6, OPW, Dragon's Dogma ...)

ACL

Nov 18, 2017

It doesn't help that due to increased development times, these big releases became less frequent and in case of most 3rd Party IPs lost some of their strength. A very clear example is how Final Fantasy had 3 mainline entries on NES, SNES and Playstation but nowadays it's an almost once a generation occurence, depending on how you judge direct sequels and incomplete Remakes. Actually Dragon Quest is a more clear cut example, that went from 4 entries on NES, to 2 on SNES and almost always just 1 per generation since then. Monster Hunter also seems to have slowed down quite a bit in how frequent new games get launched.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also DD sales increasing from 10 to around 25%

That(digital ratio) is probably less of a factor in that curve. The peak year for physical software sales is probably the same for digital sales based on the fact that Monster Hunter World did almost 1m units digitally on its own.

Well sure, it's definitely not great that overall software sales are lower than PS3.

I get it. But at the same time, why construct narratives that are not based in reality? I think there are reasonable ways to discuss PlayStation in Japan without simply looking at the numbers and making moribund proclamations. As much as this is a thread about Japan sales, I don't think pretending this market is isolated from the rest of the world makes any sense. To have informed and relevant discussion, everything should be considered in the context in which they are being considered by the industry (which is a global one).

I think if you consider Xbox a worst case scenario for where PlayStation is headed (obviously not realistic), it's still clear to me at least that a platform doesn't have to be successful to maintain a presence. I wouldn't say Microsoft is "satisfied" with Xbox in Japan, but are they resigned to it? Yeah, probably. Japanese third parties are still developing for Xbox and releasing them in Japan as well. If there comes a time when third parties realize they need to put most of their software on Switch alongside PlayStation, there will probably always be a subset of consumers who want the high-end experience rather than the convenience of Nintendo's platforms. Even if the PS audience continues to shrink domestically, if the brand is relatively stable globally they won't ever have to abandon their strategy here.

And I 100% agree about the mutual exclusivity point. I think there may be valid questions as to what sort of brand image you can project while having a strategy that will be highly successful in both Japan and the West, and it may not be the brand that Sony wants, but it's obviously possible.

Even if Xbox One was the worst case scenario it's going to be extremely difficult for the PS5 to lose that critical mass of sales simply due to the inertia inherent in software development. Even if PS5 does not very well out of the gate(even on a worldwide basis) developers have already been investing in technology and developing for a few years and games being greenlit now or in 2021 are going to be on the basis that PS5 will be the market leader..

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Nop, that info is false. The production has being lower due to demand, not because of the covid.

And even this information might be wrong.
Yup you are right, I was remembering wrong by combining the part about how covid situation might change stuff with the rest of the report.

Wouldn't ff7r be now around 1.4--1.5 range with digital?
Probably? The FW digital was around 300k, so it depends. Which would still put it at less than FF13's 1.9 total.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018

I'm happy both PlayStation and Nintendo are doing good. And they're doing good by staying in their respective lanes. If they were to go head to head like xbox and playstation have been neither would gain from that.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Pretty cool that both the PS4 and Switch versions of Trials of Mana broke 100k copies. Hope this remake was successful enough that they could consider a new main series game at some point.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the PS4, Year 7 is 2019 so last year.
Year number 7 listed is 2019. You can see that the PS4 chart starts at 2, corresponding to 2014.

Thanks ! for the correction

I still feel without digital we don't see the entire picture and im not talking about digital splits but games which also sell during the sales digitally (games released in 14/15/16)

That(digital ratio) is probably less of a factor in that curve. The peak year for physical software sales is probably the same for digital sales based on the fact that Monster Hunter World did almost 1m units digitally on its own.

Im talking about the ps3 vs ps4 (not 2018 vs 2019 curve which you rightly said which depends on the software ip released) and comparing overall software sold vs the ps3 software sold

PS3 barely had a digital ecosystem which is not with the case of ps4

Not only that chart misses the digital splits (17% ?) but also the rest of digital sales which keep happening

Im trying to pull the top psn downloads in Japan chart unable to find it

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Well sure, it's definitely not great that overall software sales are lower than PS3.
If it is your takeaway then you are missing my point.

I am not even comparing the total SW sales of the PS3 and PS4. I am just saying that the PS4 SW curve is spiky and SW sales already started to dip significantly in 2019. If the decline continue at this pace then we'll reach historically low numbers in 2020 et 2021 for the PS platforms.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Vita is not counted in the equation, if we go for an overall comparison between Sony and Nintendo in Japan the decline of PlayStation market is even bigger.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, overall?

Not just retail? What information do we have in terms of overall PS4 software sales in Japan?

By overall I meant all software releases combined(rather than individual software releases) but if PS4 physical sales are 50%(or less) of PS3 in the equivalent period it's probably safe to say they are lower overall.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm happy both PlayStation and Nintendo are doing good. And they're doing good by staying in their respective lanes. If they were to go head to head like xbox and playstation have been neither would gain from that.
Agreed. It benefits both consumers and themselves. I have felt this way generally about Nintendo since the Wii. It may not have been the most popular console with traditional gamers, but we already had two consoles which provided those experiences, and on top of that a whole bunch of different experiences thanks to Nintendo. It worked out, and although the Wii U ended up being a misguided effort, them getting back on track now is good news for everyone!

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
The real problem with the discussions is not that people are discussing invalid points, it's that we're discussing on a week by week basis, where a week itself is not that much time. Every time a new thread comes the discussion is more or less reset, so new and old points of various validity get emphasized by the same and differing users.

We can discuss all we want, in fact we should hold these discussions, but none of the arguments will come to a head for sometimes up to 100 more threads, and at that point no one remembers who said what, or what even they themselves thought at that time.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
The real problem with the discussions is not that people are discussing invalid points, it's that we're discussing on a week by week basis, where a week itself is not that much time.
Week by week analysis is very important since long term is built on that as long as you read what is really written in charts.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
First Day Sell-through {2020.06.18}

[NSW] Namcot Collection <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥2.400) - 20%

[NSW] Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 7 # <ADV> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.800) - 40%

[NSW] Zumba Burn it Up! <HOB> (Sega) (¥4.980) - 20%
____

[PS4] The Last of Us Part II # <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) (¥6.900) >200k shipment

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
My problem with these charts is the complete lack of digital. When you have charts like this for PS4 globally:
vfIohR3.png

Is Japan really that big outlier when it comes to digital?
Yes it is, probably due to the size and health of its used market.

Media Create said, iirc, that a little over 10% of games are bought digitally in Japan in 2018, which represents a little less than 10% of software revenue.

Meaning that digital shares are not that big in Japan, especially for full-priced games.