• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
EbPuT8kUMAELPLW

EbPdOtpUcAEkr03

EbPdOtsUcAAZXMk

EbPdOt-VcAIIrff

0__0

EbPXJ7VUYAAG1zr

Lotteries

EbPKAnIUEAATDHp

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Falcom is the only company I have ever seen people say is too small to release their games on multiple platforms.
yep. that's a bs excuse and makes no sense. you got indies like team cherry (2 peaople, now 3) porting their game to 3 consoles on their own, simogo (2 people and 2 part time) releasing their game on like 7 platforms, other small indies launching on ps4/x1/switch/pc all the time. they just don't want to do it, nothing to do with how small they are.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
yep. that's a bs excuse and makes no sense. you got indies like team cherry (2 peaople, now 3) porting their game to 3 consoles on their own, simogo (2 people and 2 part time) releasing their game on like 7 platforms, other small indies launching on ps4/x1/switch/pc all the time. they just don't want to do it, nothing to do with how small they are.
They're so small that they're making their own engine for PS5

oh so small

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing about the way Falcom games are handled outside of Japan indicates to me that they're reliant on the games releasing in a timely manner. Ys 9 is already going to be over a year later than the original Japanese release. Also don't they make a point of relying on a purely licensing model and the core of their income is from the yearly games they self publish in Japan?

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
lol. The only possible reason for exclusively leading on the weakest western market for Ys with this sort of scheduling delay in general is self evident. We all know why that is when it comes to even licensing from this company.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Would've been nice if it could reach 200k, but 180k is not too shabby I guess lol.
How does TLOUII stack up against the other Sony titles first week?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SIE games with 100K+ debuts on PS4:

Knack - 322.083
Death Stranding - 185.909
Bloodborne - 150.245
Gran Turismo Sport - 139.357
Marvel's Spider-Man - 132.520
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 124.028
Days Gone - 114.319
Horizon: Zero Dawn - 109.739
Everybody's Golf - 100.902

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think that Falcom has said directly that they're too small to do it, but rather that they dont have the knowledge (to work on Switch), and doing localization would take time away from working on other stuff (which i guess can translate into being too small in that regards though, but they havnt said that its impossible for them to do it at least).

And do nothing about it except prevent same day releases out of stupid loyalty towards Sony.
Couldnt a reason for this also be that they need to actually port the game to the Switch and PC, while the PS4 version is already done? But its still a fairly big difference between Falcom games never coming to the Switch and actually being released there :)

Last edited:

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Below Death Stranding (185k), well above all the rest according to Gamedatalibrary.
That's nice, on the other hand they're all below 200k, which isn't that big of a number. Sony still missing the evergreen title in Japan.

Knack - 322.083
Bloodborne - 150.245
Days Gone - 114.319
Knack killing it :P

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018

Knack - 322.083
Bloodborne - 150.245
Days Gone - 114.319
Black Ops 4 - 233.762
WWII - 170.996
Black Ops 3 - 147.204
Modern Warfare - 117.670
Infinite Warfare - 100.877

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
180k is certainly a good result for TLOU2, in the context of how other 1st party Sony games have done on PS4. It's among the best 1st party debuts on the platform.

But at the same time, it kind of just reminds of the problem that Sony could be doing more to invest 1st party resources into games that appeal to Japanese gamers. I'm not saying they should do that instead of making TLOU2 and GoT and all their other games they have now, but in addition to. There's room in their portfolio for big western games and big Japanese games. They have the resources to invest in both.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Very solid numbers for TLOU2 - up their with the biggest PS4 launches, well deserved.
yeah. it's really hard to take the "small team" argument seriously coming from anyone. we all know the reason, there's no reason to dance around it.

Not directly related to the post you responded to but it reminds me of " ...why the hell Capcom spend resources on a Switch MH that might only sell 5m units when they have MHWorlds" .... followed by asking for games that would sell.worse than a MH on Switch ala new DMC, Dragons Dogma, Street Fighter and co.

The second you talk about a Switch support suddenly it's all about limited resources. Like these companies couldnt setup or hire teams to handle ports for a mayor plattform.

This generation so far pretty much proved alot of assumptions we had about some Japanese publishers/devs and their business dealing.
I dont think that Falcom has said directly that they're too small to do it, but rather that they dont have the knowledge (to work on Switch), and doing localization would take time away from working on other stuff (which i guess can translate into being too small in that regards though, but they havnt said that its impossible for them to do it at least).
I mean that an even weirder statement - of course you dont have the knowledge to develop on Switch if you dont bother with it. There would be no PSP, PSV,PS3 or PS4 games from them if they didnt get familiar with the software development environment and hardware and just said, yeah we arent familiar with that plattform.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
180k is certainly a good result for TLOU2, in the context of how other 1st party Sony games have done on PS4. It's among the best 1st party debuts on the platform.

But at the same time, it kind of just reminds of the problem that Sony could be doing more to invest 1st party resources into games that appeal to Japanese gamers. I'm not saying they should do that instead of making TLOU2 and GoT and all their other games they have now, but in addition to. There's room in their portfolio for big western games and big Japanese games. They have the resources to invest in both.

As someone on the outside looking in I can't believe how easily discarded Freedom Wars was. They had a very successful new IP in Japan that could have been pushed further.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The second you talk about a Switch support suddenly it's all about limited resources. Like these companies couldnt setup or hire teams to handle ports for a mayor plattform.
the funny thing is that mostly, that argument isn't even coming from the publishers/developers. they know better and know they'd be ridiculed if they say something like that. it's coming from people on the internet who are against games coming to switch (maybe it's for fear of "losing" exclusives, maybe some other reason, who knows) and try to rationalize those decisions without stating the obvious reasons.

Yeshua

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Couldnt a reason for this also be that they need to actually port the game to the Switch and PC, while the PS4 version is already done? But its still a fairly big difference between Falcom games never coming to the Switch and actually being released there :)

Trails of Cold Steel III JP release : September 28, 2017 - Western release : October 22, 2019, time between them : 2 years and a month
Trails of Cold Steel IV JP release : September 27, 2018 - Western release : October 27, 2020, time between them : 2 years and a month
Ys IX JP release : September 26, 2019 - Western release : early 2021, time between them : ~1.5 years

Given how long it take for Falcom games to come in the West, there are more than enough time for a Switch and PC port. At least now NISA can announce the Switch and PC version before the PS4 release unlike Cold Steel III.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I mean that an even weirder statement - of course you dont have the knowledge to develop on Switch if you dont bother with it. There would be no PSP, PSV,PS3 or PS4 games from them if they didnt get familiar with the software development environment and hardware and just said, yeah we arent familiar with that plattform.
Thats true. I'm guessing that he (Kondo, President of Falcom) meant that its something that would be somewhat time consuming (to learn how to develope for the Switch), and they rather want to use that time/resources towards something else instead. Right after that, he also added that he was fairly convinced that their main userbase are on Playstation platforms, but also that he would want to grow the brand, and was therefor open to let others do the porting. This is from an interview that was done about a year ago, so who knows if he will start changing his mind.

Trails of Cold Steel III JP release : September 28, 2017 - Western release : October 22, 2019, time between them : 2 years and a month
Trails of Cold Steel IV JP release : September 27, 2018 - Western release : October 27, 2020, time between them : 2 years and a month
Ys IX JP release : September 26, 2019 - Western release : early 2021, time between them : ~1.5 years

Given how long it take for Falcom games to come in the West, there are more than enough time for a Switch and PC port. At least now NISA can announce the Switch and PC version before the PS4 release unlike Cold Steel III.
Yeah, if they started planning the western release around the same time as the japanese releases, theres more than enough time to do the ports and have all versions release at the same date, indeed. Although seeing the big time between the japanese and western releases, i'm guessing that the planning for a western release happened at a much later time. So maybe the PS4 version takes 6 months to do, while the PC and Switch version might take 9-12 months to do (hypothetical numbers, i'm not sure how long it actually takes). And if they started planing the western release at a later time, everything gets "postponed" (or what i shall call it). In this case, they could of course technically delay the PS4 version and move all versions to the same release date, thats also an option.

Last edited:

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
Does Falcom not get more money from the western PS4 release than the others since it's just a translating rather than a port? Perhaps the other versions are just to get the games on people's radar so that when the next game comes first on PS4, they'll buy it there

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Honestly, I chalk it up to Falcom being old-fashioned and averse to change. Even when PC market was faltering, they stuck the course for making PC games until their distributor went kaput.

And ever since then, they've been focused on PlayStation platforms - and has built a partnership with not only Sony Japan, but Taiwan/Korea for that Asian-focused approach. And unless something drastic happens, like the PS-audience as a market completely evaporates, there is no impetus for them to change and rock the boat that they feel is a stable give-and-take relationship for them - not when in their mind, they do have multiplatform support, just not the 'day one on all platforms' expectations you all have.

Unless NISA tells us that PC/Switch coming later is some sort of Falcom mandate, I'd sooner bang on NISA's doors for them to explain why they couldn't get all of the global release simultenously on all platforms.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does Falcom not get more money from the western PS4 release than the others since it's just a translating rather than a port? Perhaps the other versions are just to get the games on people's radar so that when the next game comes first on PS4, they'll buy it there

Not sure how financials would shake out but the Switch ports exist because they make NIS(A) a lot of money. PC ports are a base expectation for any localisation outfit.

Yeshua

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, if they started planning the western release around the same time as the japanese releases, theres more than enough time to do the ports and have all versions release at the same date, indeed. Although seeing the big time between the japanese and western releases, i'm guessing that the planning for a western release happened at a much later time. So maybe the PS4 version takes 6 months to do, while the PC and Switch version might take 9-12 months to do (hypothetical numbers, i'm not sure how long it actually takes). And if they started planing the western release at a later time, everything gets "postponed" (or what i shall call it). In this case, they could of course technically delay the PS4 version and move all versions to the same release date, thats also an option.

I believe Falcom has a policy of not letting other company touch their games before their developpment are finished which delay localization more than it should. However the biggest reason for the long time for localization is the size of the script, Ys games script has been getting bigger recently and Trails game has always been huge to very huge.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Unless NISA tells us that PC/Switch coming later is some sort of Falcom mandate, I'd sooner bang on NISA's doors for them to explain why they couldn't get all of the global release simultenously on all platforms.
NISA won't tell you why for obvious reasons but you can look at both companies' approaches to Switch/PC and the answer becomes pretty self evident. No need to make this more difficult.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
No need to make this more difficult.

Funny, because my observation of Falcom's approach to global licensing is that they almost more or less don't give a shit about what others do with their licensed property, looking at Ys Altago, Ys VIII Mobile and Sora no Kiseki Online.

Whatever, I'm done with this conversation. It's like the 6th time for me, and the only reason I even jumped back into this thread was to see how Last of Us 2 performed in Japan, cause I needed that salt mine likelihood from the 'go woke, go broke' harassers that is poisoning anything to do with LoU2 atm.

Last edited: