• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
It's wild that Scarlet Nexus didn't chart on Steam despite being 20€ cheaper than on consoles.
Is it? In Canada SN is priced the same. It's 80$ cnd

I also find Steam's performance to be fine, everything ahead of it is part of the Steam summer sale (at least that was the case yesterday when I checked)

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Fair, but then how many data points is that? Just Returnal and Ratchet?

But we had this earlier in the month(which is influenced by bundles)

Digital is gaining on physical as we speak (not a fan of the idea, but it's happening), people get the bundles because they have no choice, only way to get the console they want.
For a game like scarlet there isn't bundling at all, I'd say it's very likely doing better digitally (again, in the west).

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Digital is gaining on physical as we speak (not a fan of the idea, but it's happening), people get the bundles because they have no choice, only way to get the console they want.
For a game like scarlet there isn't bundling at all, I'd say it's very likely doing better digitally (again, in the west).

I'm not sure how that assumption can be made. In the first tweet I posted from Chris Dring it illustrates that single players and multiplayer games do not follow the same kind of splits and Scarlet Nexus is a single player JRPG - an audience which almost certainly still favours physical over digital.

It's not like a comment made in March is obsolete three months later either.

EDIT: Not to mention that the UK has traditionally been more digital than most other markets.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Is it? In Canada SN is priced the same. It's 80$ cnd

I also find Steam's performance to be fine, everything ahead of it is part of the Steam summer sale (at least that was the case yesterday when I checked)
Yeah it's 50€ on Steam and 70€ on Xbox / PSN, but you're right in North America they're all the same price.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I'm not sure how that assumption can be made. In the first tweet I posted from Chris Dring it illustrates that single players and multiplayer games do not follow the same kind of splits and Scarlet Nexus is a single player JRPG - an audience which almost certainly still favours physical over digital.

It's not like a comment made in March is obsolete three months later either.

EDIT: Not to mention that the UK has traditionally been more digital than most other markets.

At the very least we can assume the % of digital sales is higher than in Japan.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
I think the digital-retail split conversation needs to happen on multiple levels. Most of the times we hear about first-week retail and digital splits, and in those cases we've already seen several cases of games having stronger sales digitally. But this is the thing: that's just for the first week of sales. Not for the first month and above all not for the first (let's say) six months. What we need to understand is that as years went by there's been a radical shift from physical to digital preorders. After all, enthusiasts want to play the game they're looking for as soon as possible and what better way to do so than playing it...the exact hour, minute and second it's officially released? IIRC Mat Piscatella himself talked about the decrease of pre-launch physical preorders a while ago and while that's for the US market I have no doubt the same phenomenon is taking place in multiple major markets, especially UK.

Since first-week sales numbers are "inflated" by digital preorders, as time goes by the digital split goes down especially. Of course, with how long the market life of software can be now thanks to the immediate availability across several digital storefronts, the digital split can witness important increases later on thanks to discounts. But usually in the mid term we should assume that the digital split tends to go down. What's unfortunate is that most of the times we focus on first-week results and splits and tend to assume those splits stay exactly the same in the following weeks and months. And that's not what really happens.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
sega.jp

『戦場のヴァルキュリア』「いっせいトライアル」開催決定|セガ SEGA

全世界累計200万本出荷の『戦場のヴァルキュリア』、Nintendo Switch Online加入者限定イベント「いっせいトライアル」開催決定!

Not sure if it was known or not, but VC1 broke 2 million sales.

Considering VC4 was announced to have done 1 million some months ago.. it didn't do that bad all things considered.

I would love to know if the series have a future.

Oct 25, 2017
First I'd like them to port sakura wars to current gen systems (Xbox, pc, switch and ps5), calling it remaster and see how it goes.. it worked with VC 1.

But VC5 would also be nice.

(also remaster SoA pls xD)
I think Sakura Wars is done for now. Really don't foresee them taking the time to port to three new platforms(It should have been there at launch. PS4 exclusivity was dumb). But of a shame, as i wanted to Hokuto no Ken Yakuza and Sakura Wars on PC.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
Warioware look's promising, (I know, im 2 weeks late)

not much interesting happening lately other than some more bad ps5 software sales.

I hope Metroid can break 100k.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why the assumption is that Scarlet Nexus, of all games, would skew more towards digital. More so than other releases. It's a niche, anime, action RPG. Those who are interested probably lean more towards physical, I would assume. I feel once we know the first physical sales of Scarlet Nexus, it will be easy to infer what the digital sales are like. I think it will have the typical digital/physical split but if there is a slight skew, I think it's more likely in the direction of more physical.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Just, ya know, the little wrinkle of it being the steam summer sale. But that sort of context is unimportant.

Also it is 8th on the top sellers chart that I'm looking at.
Only in NA afaik and the chart is revenue based, so it's beeing helped as the only full priced game in the top 100 with CS-Go and Strive. So that doesn'T tell a whole lot about its real performance on Steam right now, we'll see how it actually performs better in a few weeks

It already has 3k reviews though and the all time peak is in line with other 200k-500k bracket sellers which quite honestly isn't bad

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So are Caiops and TiagoCosta the same person? Both come out of nowhere within the past month or so with vapid, Sony-biased insight on the market. If I didn't know any better I'd say they were Kerotan alts. Oregano's takes are tame now in comparison.
What lol

Im not him and im not a Sony fanboy lol, im just trying to talk how maybe some games are not doing as bad people believe.

Remember Control not charting in NPD? Now we know that the game shipped 2 million.

Im not in love with Nintendo like most but i recognize when they do well, please dont compare with a troll like Kerotan

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
New ARMS amibo announced. Looks like the franchise is still in Nintendo's plans.

Will be interesting to see if they can grow it to a million seller. If launched in a new console and before Smash, it could fit in the gap and become quite successful me thinks.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New ARMS amibo announced. Looks like the franchise is still in Nintendo's plans.

Will be interesting to see if they can grow it to a million seller. If launched in a new console and before Smash, it could fit in the gap and become quite successful me thinks.
not indicative of much, it's just the next Smash Amiibo

Oct 25, 2017
The amiibo doesn't tell us anything. The fact that it was a DLC, maybe
Yeah. Min-Min came last year right? That's roughly 3 years after Arms launch. There's was no reason to launch a fighters so after the game launch(And an Arms representative wasn't even than requested as DLC, unlike the Xenoblade 2 representative). Nintendo might want to keep Arms fresh into people heads for a sequel.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Looking at other comparable games on Steam, Scarlet Nexus is doing pretty decent in terms of peak CCU. It's certainly not bad. I could imagine the title is at around 200-300k already when comparing it to other titles with smaller CCUs and their total sales numbers (if we agree that CCU is able to somewhat indicate total players).

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw that the World Witches games Forwardworks had with Kadokawa is moving to a different publisher

I think that's the second game(after the Tezuka/Compile Heart game) to move away from Forwardworks in their short existence.

With PlayStation committing more resources to mobile globally I don't think Forwardworks will be around much longer to be honest.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at other comparable games on Steam, Scarlet Nexus is doing pretty decent in terms of peak CCU. It's certainly not bad. I could imagine the title is at around 200-300k already when comparing it to other titles with smaller CCUs and their total sales numbers (if we agree that CCU is able to somewhat indicate total players).
200-300k is quite a stretch for that peak CCU and failing to chart in top 10. Code Vein wouldn't need more than 3-4 weeks to reach a million.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
200-300k is quite a stretch for that peak CCU and failing to chart in top 10. Code Vein wouldn't need more than 3-4 weeks to reach a million.
The Steam summer Sale is preventing the game from charting higher. It's hard to compete as a brand new full price release against this event.

We'll see how it fares in a week once the sale is over

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
Oof at Mario Golf reviews on Amazon jp. Been quite a long time since a Nintendo game get such low rating.
I think Nintendo need to understand that people's expectations for full-price sports titles have been increasing.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You wont get content with Camelot as the dev, the only have like 45 employees, which is why its funny when people wnat them to do a full ass JRPG

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Oof at Mario Golf reviews on Amazon jp. Been quite a long time since a Nintendo game get such low rating.
I think Nintendo need to understand that people's expectations for full-price sports titles have been increasing.
they don't care about that. It will sell it's normal 2-4 million and they'll start on the next one. It's still about making money at the end of the day.

The only times they care about that are their prestige titles like metroid and zelda, which they feel are tied to their company's perception more.

A lot of their other titles they know it'll generally sell a certain amount, and won't be competing for any awards, and it will have a certain budget and dev time. They're not delaying a mario sports game a year to let it cook.

also, Nintendo games get low ratings frquently, so not sure what you mean there.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Sports games have always gotten low scores because for some reason people expect a deep story mode lol. These games have always been focused primarily on playing with friends and family.

Heck I loved Mario Strikers but it has a 79 on metacritic.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I think people have a bad memory about the quality of past Mario sports titles. Generally they were always "Yeah, that's pretty good" at best. I think part of the issue was that they have merged their memories of the handheld games (which had big RPG adventures) with the console games which were more focused on multiplayer but could be pretty light in terms of single player stuff. Mario sports games were at the top of Nintendo praise and quality. They are made for and sold to a specific group of people.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
they don't care about that. It will sell it's normal 2-4 million and they'll start on the next one. It's still about making money at the end of the day.

The only times they care about that are their prestige titles like metroid and zelda, which they feel are tied to their company's perception more.

A lot of their other titles they know it'll generally sell a certain amount, and won't be competing for any awards, and it will have a certain budget and dev time. They're not delaying a mario sports game a year to let it cook.

also, Nintendo games get low ratings frquently, so not sure what you mean there.

I guess it should clear 2 million, but I'm doubting any higher. Also, as already stated, the context is with Amazon jp reviews. I don't see how low ratings are considered common for Nintendo if you just take a browse at the Switch titles there.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
My opinion is that there is a similarity with Pokemon and Mario Sports games. People remember them to be grander than they really were. Story wise, I guess.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it should clear 2 million, but I'm doubting any higher. Also, as already stated, the context is with Amazon jp reviews. I don't see how low ratings are considered common for Nintendo if you just take a browse at the Switch titles there.
oh I don't know about amazon jp reviews. thought you meant overall reviews, my mistake

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Just saw that the World Witches games Forwardworks had with Kadokawa is moving to a different publisher

I think that's the second game(after the Tezuka/Compile Heart game) to move away from Forwardworks in their short existence.

With PlayStation committing more resources to mobile globally I don't think Forwardworks will be around much longer to be honest.
It's disgrace as is that they outlived Japan Studio. Into the trash where they belong.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
(Taiwan)
Media Create Sales Week 24, 2021 (14 Jun - 20 Jun)

01./01. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.31}
02./00. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.12.15}
03./05. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo) {2018.10.05}
04./03. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise (Capcom) {2021.03.26}
05./00. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20}

Top 5

NSW - 5

(South Korea)

01./03. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.18}
02./04. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20}
03./05. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.12.15}
04./00. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo) {2018.10.05}
05./00. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield (Pokemon Co.) {2019.11.15}

Top 5

NSW - 5

gnn.gamer.com.tw

MediaCreate 6 月 14 日~6 月 20 日一週銷售排行榜 重回 Switch 遊戲霸榜局面

巴哈姆特 GNN 與日本遊戲業界分析公司 MediaCreate 合作,每週定期刊載由 MediaCreate 調查與統計的日本、台灣與韓國地區家用遊樂器主機遊戲軟體的一週銷售排行榜,供玩家參考。 當週再次回歸 Switch 遊戲稱霸的局面,前週 3 款 PS5 遊戲拿下 5 個名額的盛況可說是曇花一現。除了日本是由前週上市的《附帶導航!一做就上手 第一次的遊戲程式

Dec 21, 2020
(South Korea)

01./03. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.18}
02./04. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20}
03./05. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.12.15}
04./00. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo) {2018.10.05}
05./00. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield (Pokemon Co.) {2019.11.15}
I'm surprised still how fast Monster Hunter Rise fell in South Korea

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Monster Hunter Rise is still in the Top 5 just in Taiwan. In Korea and Japan, the game already left the Top 5.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017

Seems almost RPG-ish, like Kakarot.

Even though I really dislike how we cannot play as Demons, I really like how they are adding special gameplay gimmicks to different bosses in this game. It makes them feel like events and it's a good reminder that the author of Kimetsu no Yaiba knew how to make unique Demons with cool abilities.