• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Gust also had the same amount of employees. And they are able to release title on timely manner and even higher output vs Falcom there.
Yes, and the results speak for themselves. Bad games and diminishing sales.
They stopped developing for PC altogether when they moved to Playstation, abandoning fans that had followed them for decades. It's bright as daylight they don't have the resource to sustain two ecosystems. And remember they stick to the one game per year plan.
There was actually some talk about this many years back if I recall, and there was something about one of their main investors at the time (I think Softbank maybe?) pushing them to abandon PC releases because of lower sales compared to the consumer games market once Trails started taking off. Anyone remember this? Did I imagine it?

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
There was actually some talk about this many years back if I recall, and there was something about one of their main investors at the time (I think Softbank maybe?) pushing them to abandon PC releases because of lower sales compared to the consumer games market once Trails started taking off. Anyone remember this? Did I imagine it?
SoftBank distributed their physical PC copies to game stores until around 2008/2009, according to their FY reports and shareholder disclosures from that period. Even if Falcom had been getting by on the dismal sales of games like Zwei II, SoftBank clearly saw reason to drop them. Falcom knew that physical PC releases were their only viable option for PC releases, and PSP releases had caught up in sales, so they jumped ship.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
But Switch games sell better than Wii U or 3DS games and this Mario Party rembember Mario Party 8 and Mario Party DS, the best sales of the IP. So first week, probably Black Ops 4. In October, too. But Super Mario Party will probably be upper LTD.

Switch and Switch software will sell A LOT during holidays. Mario Party will do wonders in December.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
SoftBank distributed their physical PC copies to game stores until around 2008/2009, according to their FY reports and shareholder disclosures from that period. Even if Falcom had been getting by on the dismal sales of games like Zwei II, SoftBank clearly saw reason to drop them. Falcom knew that physical PC releases were their only viable option for PC releases, and PSP releases had caught up in sales, so they jumped ship.
Awesome. I was hoping someone would remember what I was thinking of. Thanks!

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Gust also had the same amount of employees. And they are able to release title on timely manner and even higher output vs Falcom there.
Game quality aside, Gust uses Koei Tecmo's engine/tech and presumably has access to support and technical expertise beyond their own employees. As I recall their output was much more like Falcom's when they were independent.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Just looked at the New 2DS XL bundles, and they're kind of a disguised price drop.

New 2DS XL Minecraft: 16 980 Yen (taxes excluded)
New 2DS XL alone: 14 980 Yen (taxes excluded)
Minecraft N3DS: 3 888 Yen (taxes included)
Bundle = roughly 1 888 Yen cheaper

Funnily enough, the game comes pre-loaded on SD Card (like the other bundles by the way), so still no retail release for Minecraft New 3DS proper. Safe to assume there will not be one now that Switch version is out.

New 2DS XL Animal Crossing: 15 980 Yen (taxes excluded)
Animal Crossing: 2 916 Yen (taxes included)
Bundle = roughly 1 916 Yen cheaper

Something I noticed about this bundle is that the design on the console is same one as the EU bundle... they even left the title in English on the console itself.

New 2DS XL Mario Kart 7: 15 980 Yen (taxes excluded)
Mario Kart 7: 4 571 Yen (taxes excluded) [no Nintendo Selects release in Japan)
Bundle = roughly 3 571 Yen cheaper

Interesting move, to say the least. Definitely will not compensate for the DQXI effect from last year, but still enough extra sales to be worth it.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
From GEO stores, if you buy 1 switch + variety kit or robot kit = 2.000 yen discount

DhAEsFnU0AAvqV5.jpg

Not easy to sell nintendo lab now.

DhJjSXMVQAI3Z4P.jpg

Dg6U5A3VQAAKX7C.jpg
I'm confused, isn't it just a promotion for a single day (july 8th)?

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
We only found about this one by chance. God only knows what's going on and how often this happens.
Thats true. I just mean that those type of deals are usually tied to single games, and shouldnt affect the overall support for one platform. Nintendo likely has a deal with Square Enix regarding Octopath Traveler for example, but Square Enix is still supporting other platforms. Thats why i dont think this is a bigger factor to Switch's support overall, in my opinion.

Last edited:

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It's nuts seeing a Minecraft Special Edition for a Nintendo console, albeit a handheld device. MS was totally fine letting their ip's rock on GBA and DS back in the day. Kind of sad Halo DS never got past the pitch phase, would've been cool to see some MS spin offs on handheld

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's nuts seeing a Minecraft Special Edition for a Nintendo console, albeit a handheld device. MS was totally fine letting their ip's rock on GBA and DS back in the day. Kind of sad Halo DS never got past the pitch phase, would've been cool to see some MS spin offs on handheld
Switch is more directly competitive but who knows, maybe someday we'll see MS loosen up again and allow Nintendo handheld sublicensing. I think there'd be a market for things like Rare Replay or Blue Dragon on the platform without necessarily taking space from the Xbox platform.

Jan 1, 2018
According to Gamedatalibrary, Mario Party: The Top 100 was at 46 188 in first week (196 945 LTD), Mario Party: Star Rush at
37 569 (201 983) and Mario Party 10 at 51 452 (200 013). Call of Duty: WWII was at 170 996 in first week (437 507), Infinite Warfare at 100 877 (210 406) and Black Ops III at 147 204 (411 856).

But Switch games sell better than Wii U or 3DS games and this Mario Party rembember Mario Party 8 and Mario Party DS, the best sales of the IP. So first week, probably Black Ops 4. In October, too. But Super Mario Party will probably be upper LTD.
Ya super Mario party I predict a minimum 120k FW. Could go up based on advertising.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Switch is more directly competitive but who knows, maybe someday we'll see MS loosen up again and allow Nintendo handheld sublicensing. I think there'd be a market for things like Rare Replay or Blue Dragon on the platform without necessarily taking space from the Xbox platform.
Rare Replay with the N64 versions of the games and Donkey Kong games instead of the Xbox exclusives is what we need. That collection is years old anyway. Why not port it

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
If Bravely Default is the base for Octopath Traveler sales it won't disappoint.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
According to Gamedatalibrary, Mario Party: The Top 100 was at 46 188 in first week (196 945 LTD), Mario Party: Star Rush at
37 569 (201 983) and Mario Party 10 at 51 452 (200 013). Call of Duty: WWII was at 170 996 in first week (437 507), Infinite Warfare at 100 877 (210 406) and Black Ops III at 147 204 (411 856).

I'm expecting Super Mario Party to open closer to Mario Party 9 (160k) and Island Tour (135k). I think Star Rush and Top 100 first week suffered from oversaturation on the platform. Super Mario Party being the first MP on Switch and a return to the traditional gameplay should see a considerable boost in sales imo.
If Bravely Default is the base for Octopath Traveler sales it won't disappoint.

So we're looking at a ~150k debut potentially?

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yomawari: The Long Night Collection for Nintendo Switch, which features both Yomawari: Night Alone and Yomawari: Midnight Shadows, has been confirmed for Japan today btw. Coming 25 October, which is the same week as its international release.

Source

(cc silpheed-mcd for the list)

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Which people have been complaining about Ys 8" I ask three days after a thread of people talking about how much they hate NISA as Ys 8 launched with a bug that rendered the game unplayable if people downloaded the DLC first.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps...viii-switch-dlc-before-the-day-1-patch.51717/

I didn't have the problem and it's already fixed it seems. They were definitly faster with patches on Switch (on version 1.03 now) than on the other systems. I can understand the anger about localisation problems with all versions, but the Switchversion worked fine for me and i play it since day one.

Celceta did so well over here that it was outselling Japan for a while so it's not like the series isn't successful in the west, but even if it wasn't, settling for garbage just means you'll get more garbage

The Switch port isn't garbage though. I mean i'm not a NIS fan, i would take it with joy from XSeed, but the game itself is good and the Switchport ok.

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
Anybody expecting sales to drop to 40k? Since the last 2 weeks had boosts to 48k with post e3 boost and 2 new games boost.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
I'm expecting Super Mario Party to open closer to Mario Party 9 (160k) and Island Tour (135k). I think Star Rush and Top 100 first week suffered from oversaturation on the platform. Super Mario Party being the first MP on Switch and a return to the traditional gameplay should see a considerable boost in sales imo.

So we're looking at a ~150k debut potentially?

Isn't that a bit too much? Maybe ~100K seem a more realistic goal

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
GEO Ranking Preorders

company06.jpg

~ 1.200 stores

About ranking:
- N is the title that was not ranked in within last ranking
- Games close to release date and games for which reservation reception has ended in Geo are not published in the ranking
- The ranking of the title is ranking by the total number including other models and bonus version
- Hardware order of multi titles is in order of hardware release date

01/01 [PS4] Winning Eleven 2019 - August 30
02/05 [PS4] Spider-Man - September 07
03/02 [NSW] Octopath Traveler - July 13
04/04 [NSW] Taiko Drum Master: Nintendo Switch Version! - July 19
05/07 [NSW] Pro Yakyuu Famista Evolution - August 02
06/10 [NSW] SaGa : Scarlet Grace - Hiiro no Yabô - August 02
06/10 [PS4] SaGa : Scarlet Grace - Hiiro no Yabô - August 02
07/09 [PS4] Red Dead Redemption 2 - October 26
08/06 [NSW] Warriors Orochi 3 - September 27
08/06 [PS4] Warriors Orochi 3 - September 27
09/20 [NSW] Super Mario Party - October 05
10/08 [PS4] Kingdom Hearts III - January 25
11/11 [PS4] Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker - August 30
12/12 [PS4] Conan Outcasts - August 23
13/13 [PS4] Friday The 13th: The Game - July 13
14/14 [NSW] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - July 13
14/14 [3DS] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - July 13
15/15 [PS4] Mary Skelter 2 - July 12
16/16 [NSW] Rockman X Anniversary Collection 1 + 2 - July 26
16/16 [PS4] Rockman X Anniversary Collection 1 + 2 - July 26
17/17 [NSW] Dragon Quest X All in One Package - July 26
17/17 [PS4] Dragon Quest X All in One Package - July 26
17/17 [WIU] Dragon Quest X All in One Package - July 26
18/18 [NSW] Makai Senki Disgaea Refine (limited edition) - July 26
18/18 [PS4] Makai Senki Disgaea Refine (limited edition) - July 26
19/29 [3DS] Etrian Odyssey X - August 02
20/30 [3DS] WarioWare Gold - August 02
21/37 [NSW] LEGO: The Incredibles - August 02
21/37 [PS4] LEGO: The Incredibles - August 02
22/19 [PS4] Battlefield 5 - October 19
23/21 [NSW] FIFA 19 - September 28
23/21 [PS4] FIFA 19 - September 28
24/22 [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV: The End of Saga - September 27
25/23 [PS4] Code Vein - September 27
26/24 [PS4] Anthem - February 22
27/25 [PS4] Disaster Report 4 Plus: Summer Memories - October 25
28/26 [PS4] Utawarerumono Zan - September 27
29/27 [PS4] Yakuza 3 - August 09
30/28 [NSW] My Hero Academia: One's Justice - August 23
30/28 [PS4] My Hero Academia: One's Justice - August 23
31/31 [PS4] Bullet Girls Phantasia - August 09
31/31 [PSV] Bullet Girls Phantasia - August 09
32/32 [NSW] Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and The Millionaires' Conspiracy DX - August 09
33/33 [PS4] Fire Pro Wrestling World - August 09
34/34 [NSW] Little Dragons Cafe - August 30
34/34 [PS4] Little Dragons Cafe - August 30
35/35 [NSW] STEINS; GATE ELITE - September 20
35/35 [PS4] STEINS; GATE ELITE - September 20
35/35 [PSV] STEINS; GATE ELITE - September 20
36/36 [NSW] Okami HD - August 09
37/ R. [NSW] SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy - September 06
37/ R. [PS4] SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy - September 06
38/ R. [PS4] ANUBIS ZONE OF THE ENDERS : M∀RS - September 06
39/38 [PS4] Shadow of the Tomb Raider - September 14
40/39 [PS4] Soul Calibur VI - October 18

PS4: 31 (=)
NSW: 18 (=)
3DS: 3 (=)
PSV: 2 (-1)
WIU: 1 (=)

- Games close to release date and games for which reservation reception has ended in Geo are not published in the ranking:
03/03 [PS4] Zanki Zero: Last Beginning - July 05
03/03 [PSV] Zanki Zero: Last Beginning - July 05

Last edited:

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe having a bigger presence at TGS highlighting some japanese partnerships would be a nice way to garner some goodwill towards them. Don't know why they're so against it. Sony has a full conference there, and a booth, and every year they have their awards ceremony to celebrate the third party games that did well. They're putting in the work.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe having a bigger presence at TGS highlighting some japanese partnerships would be a nice way to garner some goodwill towards them. Don't know why they're so against it. Sony has a full conference there, and a booth, and every year they have their awards ceremony to celebrate the third party games that did well. They're putting in the work.

Iirc, TGS was once a Sony-helmed event, at least, there's been some connection between TGS and Sony. That and because Spaceworld existed were pretty much good reasons for Nintendo to skip TGS ... what's keeping them away now, dunno though.

I guess they'll keep doing business meetings and maybe a Direct around TGS time, but i don't see them becoming an exhibitor in the near future.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

Good will from who and for what ? Every relevant JP publisher already is on board and has released games for the system...the time for some kind of lips service is over and people only care/want announcements of games they can actually play soon and not for forum list-wars.

There is nothing that could come out of this that would have a bigger impact than the same announcement on a Direct or Nintendos fall lineup conference. Publishers who are on TGS will obv. highlight their Switch titles on the showfloor as well.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

Sony is better in third parties' relationships and Sony needs third parties more than Nintendo.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The physical version confirmed?
I can't find a confirmation by Nippon Ichi Software (they haven't posted about the game at all), but Famitsu definitely presents it as one. With download-only games, they usually explicitly say it's a "Nintendo Switch用ダウンロードソフト". They did that as well when NIS announced Penny-Punching Princess and The Longest Five Minutes for Switch in Japan (link). It has a price of 6980 yen (7538 yen tax included) mentioned in the article, which is the normal retail game price for a Switch game by NIS.

So yeah, 99.9% sure it'll have a retail release, but not 100%.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
After Fire Emblem Heroes, I'm disappointed that Dragalia Lost doesn't appear to be as much of a worldwide effort for Nintendo.