• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
early word is that the switch version is the best-selling sku in the west launch-aligned, and not far behind the ps4 + psv launch last year. it's only been a week, but still. it seems a bit like disgaea 5 complete again.
Nice to hear. The game works really well on Switch, and I'm having a blast playing it. Glad it's doing so well.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if people should be happy or sad about this lol
We should be happy about any Ys sales there are. The game is so great and deserves to be way bigger than it is. I understand the port/localization isn't the best, but if the series is ever going to grow we have to take anything we can get at this point.

Personally, I hope any success here makes Falcom warm up to the Switch a little bit. Designing for PS4 + Switch from the start seems like the obvious thing for them to do now. That would allow them to keep the existing PlayStation fanbase, keep the existing portable fanbase, and maybe even grow the fanbase a little with the added Nintendo audience.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be like 6-8k. It'll do better in the west but Xseed fans have been campaigning hard against it. Unfairly to a degree too as the Switch port seems pretty solid even at launch.
It's not really unfair criticism. The resolution and framerate aren't as good as they should have been considering the hardware, and then there are the bugs.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe they will allow Xseed/NIS(A) to do more ports of some of their games
Falcom already has a history of being very flexible with their licensing when it comes to ports and releases. That's how we got gems like the the PS2 versions of Ys games by Taito and the Gagharv trilogy os PSP by Bandai Namco.
Designing for PS4 + Switch from the start seems like the obvious thing for them to do now.
It is not the most obvious thing for them. they don't have the manpower for that, especially combined with their ambitions to have yearly releases.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
We should be happy about any Ys sales there are. The game is so great and deserves to be way bigger than it is. I understand the port/localization isn't the best, but if the series is ever going to grow we have to take anything we can get at this point.

Personally, I hope any success here makes Falcom warm up to the Switch a little bit. Designing for PS4 + Switch from the start seems like the obvious thing for them to do now. That would allow them to keep the existing PlayStation fanbase, keep the existing portable fanbase, and maybe even grow the fanbase a little with the added Nintendo audience.
They aren't big enough to do it themselves, but I don't think it'll stop them from letting other companies do it if they want.

Oct 27, 2017
early word is that the switch version is the best-selling sku in the west launch-aligned, and not far behind the ps4 + psv launch last year. it's only been a week, but still. it seems a bit like disgaea 5 complete again.
That's awesome news. I'm glad NISA's strong support is being rewarded. Hoping for some cool announcements from Anime Expo. Heard any other sales tidbits?

I wonder how Falcom will react.
I doubt they'll do any internal Switch development, but I could see them requesting Switch ports for games in the future from companies localizing their games, like they with PC ports from localization companies.

I don't know if people should be happy or sad about this lol
I don't see why people should be sad. The game is selling really well and more people are getting access to it? That really a bad thing?

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
It is not the most obvious thing for them. they don't have the manpower for that, especially combined with their ambitions to have yearly releases.

They aren't big enough to do it themselves, but I don't think it'll stop them from letting other companies do it if they want.

If their sales on Switch are roughly equivalent to their sales on PS4 (or better), wouldn't it make sense to develop with Switch in from the start? Falcom isn't a fixed size -- they could hire additional people if it's worth the money.

You're right they could always contract it out to others, but there are some benefits to designing with Switch in mind from the beginning. The game would run better and release earlier, both of which build good will with fans. That's a good thing for them in the long-term.

Ultimately, they can of course keep doing what they're doing, and they'll probably be fine. But I do think they have an opportunity to invest a little and grow a little. And that's something that would make me really happy as their fan.

Oct 26, 2017
That's awesome news. I'm glad NISA's strong support is being rewarded. Hoping for some cool announcements from Anime Expo. Heard any other sales tidbits?

I doubt they'll do any internal Switch development, but I could see them requesting Switch ports for games in the future from companies localizing their games, like they with PC ports from localization companies.

I don't see why people should be sad. The game is selling really well and more people are getting access to it? That really a bad thing?

People think the port is garbage.

Oct 27, 2017

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Capcom IR also pointed to significant western marketing expenses for MHW. It really does look like Sony paid for Asain marketing in exchange for exclusivity.

That's something everyone and her father knew. Hiding the elephant in the room isn't really reasonable at this point.

That's nice to hear. It was clear from the beginning Switch was a good platform for such niche games.

People think the port is garbage.

Who? It's annoying reading such comments as the "people" have homogenous preferences and opinions. It's not true. The game got great reception from both fans and press.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While the port is playable, nobody should be surprised at people being annoyed at NISA's sloppiness. This isn't even limited to Ys Switch, they've been dropping the ball for a while now. It seems like every other release of theirs has an issue.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

You must not have seen the XSeed defense force and their unfounded paranoia of imagining NISA takes over localization of Sen no Kiseki 3 and 4.
But to be honest, I don't think the port of Ys VIII Switch itself is very good especially at launch.
It's a bit unheard of for a publisher to announce 1-month bug fix patch plan before the game is even released.
NISA really needs to step up a lot if they were to do the next Ys on Switch.
Sadly looking at their recent track record, I find it a bit hard to put trust in whatever their next projects are.

Deleted member 26768

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If their sales on Switch are roughly equivalent to their sales on PS4 (or better), wouldn't it make sense to develop with Switch in from the start? Falcom isn't a fixed size -- they could hire additional people if it's worth the money.

You're right they could always contract it out to others, but there are some benefits to designing with Switch in mind from the beginning. The game would run better and release earlier, both of which build good will with fans. That's a good thing for them in the long-term.

Ultimately, they can of course keep doing what they're doing, and they'll probably be fine. But I do think they have an opportunity to invest a little and grow a little. And that's something that would make me really happy as their fan.
The thing is they do not have enough manpower to develop for a second platform, especially with their production values getting higher every release. The only scenario Falcom would jump on the Switch themselves is if something happens to their strong relation to Sony, the company that has helped them countless times with releasing playable games with Cold Steel's release being the biggest example (Sony helped them out as the game shipped with abysmal performance) and the fact that Sony Asia localises the Kiseki games in Chinese and Korean. Nintendo would have to offer similar help for them to switch over and even then it would mean they are dropping the platform they've established their core fanbase on which is important for Kiseki especially.
However on the contracting part I, and others, have been interpreting recent interviews by Kondo that he wants to work more actively at contracting ports by other developers themselves. So in that regard it might never become an issue.
I'm assuming the hate for the port may somewhat originate from people who have an axe to grind with NISA.
Maybe NISA should learn doing their work so people don't have an axe to grind. They're still making the same mistakes as when they made PS3's melt.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
You must not have seen the XSeed defense force and their unfounded paranoia of imagining NISA takes over localization of Sen no Kiseki 3 and 4.
But to be honest, I don't think the port of Ys VIII Switch itself is very good especially at launch.
It's a bit unheard of for a publisher to announce 1-month bug fix patch plan before the game is even released.
NISA really needs to step up a lot if they were to do the next Ys on Switch.
Sadly looking at their recent track record, I find it a bit hard to put trust in whatever their next projects are.
You haven't seen the worst, there were people blaming stuffs like "switch users eat everything Nisa shits out" and immediately backpedaling the moment someone called them out

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap

Before someone compares PS4/Switch to PS3/Vita here: Falcom managed to release on PS3/Vita mainly because of strong support over time. Falcom wants to focus on PS4-exclusive launches at the moment because they continue to receive engine customization and release preparation support from Sony; they'd have to start anew with Nintendo. The time and money investment into developing directly to Switch, alongside their current overtaxed operations (evident in how much they now outsource), ruins the chances that we'll get any Falcom releases on Switch aside from externally-outsourced ports.

Falcom wants all their games localized for the West, so it's not like accessibility's in question. I'm glad that modern Ys has come to the Nintendo ecosystem finally. I'm just not so enthused about NISA's poor planning, and how they suddenly give more of a damn about fixing up a botched localization when they denied that to players of older games they've localized. The worst case scenario: some other localization publisher offers a superior bid to Falcom for one of their new releases, backed by strong sales and reliability (translation and QA), but President Kondo hands the release to NIS and NISA because he wants to do a favor for President Niikawa.

The more this release sells, the more Falcom will trust NISA despite evidence to the contrary. I hope we're on a timeline where nepotism and gross revenue matters less than building a strong Western market and

I'm assuming the hate for the port may somewhat originate from people who have an axe to grind with NISA.
I've seen some drive-by, hyperbolic posts about NISA and NIS's port which get away from the central issue: we don't to risk NISA localizing and publishing Falcom games if they're going to keep rushing and underestimating releases. Disgaea 5 PC's fiasco is a bad omen since it's old behavior for them and evidence that Ys VIII's no accident. Now, while I'm glad that Ys VIII's selling well on Switch as I predicted, it's disappointing that NIS busts its chops to do Falcom right while part of their subsidiary messes up over and over again. The same president, management, and shareholders who thought they could effectively rush Ys VIII to PC—failing because they underestimated the workload—still run NISA. I'd rather we force them to chase higher standards, through our wallets if necessary. We need companies like Aksys and XSEED to get in on Switch just the same.

Trails really should never go to them before successfully localizing and releasing a few more Falcom games, should they continue to win those bids. And we can assume that they have even more competition now that they've gotten this out while XSEED's expanding to keep up. My hope is that XSEED and Marvelous Japan, working with Marvelous Europe more than before, can present more persuasive but concrete proposals to Falcom for their new games (meaning PC and Switch ports). NISA management may or may not understand and address the issues behind Ys VIII's release, but I'm not counting on them to put as much care into localization regardless.

NISA, in its current form (hardly different from earlier), would struggle to put out a Trails game for the first time also. I'm expecting PS4/Switch versions of Cold Steel I & II to come out soon, ideally alongside other earlier Falcom releases; Cold Steel III still won't get enough build-up to escape its status of commercial risk.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Japan's getting a new Switch bundle to celebrate Splatoon 2's first anniversary

I talked to fast. That's the Switch Bundle for Summer, releasing on July 13th.

I was expecting something new, but well, better than nothing.

Yup, it's not a new bundle, it's the exact same bundle that was released last year, but with 3 months of free Nintendo Switch Online packed in. Nintendo even specifically mentions it in their Topics website (that's it's the old bundle finally coming back).
Release date is unchanged (July 21st 2017), even though the picture shows the Nintendo Switch Online offer "sticker".

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/switch/lineup/index.html

The fun/strange thing is that the bundle with the guidebook (again, the same old bundle) isn't even listed on the Nintendo website anymore, not even a discontinued. Makes sense if they're not considering those bundles as separate ones.

I assume the 3 months of free NSO will become standard in Nintendo Switch packs moving forward.

Last edited:

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
While the port is playable, nobody should be surprised at people being annoyed at NISA's sloppiness. This isn't even limited to Ys Switch, they've been dropping the ball for a while now. It seems like every other release of theirs has an issue.

is that right? if we assume that ys viii is one of the problematic ones, and looking back to... demon gaze ii, they had the lost child, happy birthdays, fallen legion, penny-punching princess, the longest five minutes, and the witch and the hundred knight 2 and i think the most egregious issue might have been trophies in tokyo tattoo girls.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Btw, GO Vacation and Crash Bandicoot still don't have release date in Japan despite being released or about of being released in the west.
I wonder when we will hear about them.

They seemed good releases for Summer in Japan, but oh well.

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017

Celceta did so well over here that it was outselling Japan for a while so it's not like the series isn't successful in the west, but even if it wasn't, settling for garbage just means you'll get more garbage

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They dont care. Falcom wont do a single thing there lol.

Falcom obviously cares. They are getting more money to fund their next PS4 game
But joke aside, Falcom is definitely not big enough for multi-platform release.
They'd rather other people buy license to port their games to other systems and concentrate on making more games on PS4.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Falcom is such a fascinating company, especially when you take into account the fact that videogame industry is highly volatile and that it's a public trading company. Square Soft once ported Ys for Falcom, look at how these companies have changed. You barely recognize Square Soft from SE, yet Falcom is the same company through and through. Falcom live in a different dimension.

Thats the thing...they are getting paid for doing basically nothing.
So they obv. will care and see what else could and should be brought over.
Falcom is most definitely open to pitches of ports, if you bring the men and the money.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
The funny thing is that Crash is getting a re-release on August 2nd, on PS4 (though obviously, published by Sony).

https://www.4gamer.net/games/425/G042543/20180703042/
Don't know about switch but the Bonus Edition of the game will be released on August 2

Thinking about it, in Japan Crash was released on August 2nd 2017. So assuming that the one year exclusive deal applies the japanese release date, it has to be released the 3rd or later.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Thats just one game (a big title, but still one game), and similar deals have been made in the past without apparelntly affecting support for a platform, so i dont think this is really a big factor to overall support.
We only found about this one by chance. God only knows what's going on and how often this happens.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thats the thing...they are getting paid for doing basically nothing.
So they obv. will care and see what else could and should be brought over.

I mean. They wont do anything from what they are doing now.

If other company like Nisa or Aksys want to port their game? Sure why not. But falcom will just cruising on the ps audience there. As simple as that.

Falcom obviously cares. They are getting more money to fund their next PS4 game
But joke aside, Falcom is definitely not big enough for multi-platform release.
They'd rather other people buy license to port their games to other systems and concentrate on making more games on PS4.

I always feel that people saying that falcom is not big enough is a strange argument. I feel, Falcom just dont care about Nintendo platform as they believe there is no audience there. Simple as that.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I always feel that people saying that falcom is not big enough is a strange argument. I feel, Falcom just dont care about Nintendo platform as they believe there is no audience there. Simple as that.
They stopped developing for PC altogether when they moved to Playstation, abandoning fans that had followed them for decades. It's bright as daylight they don't have the resource to sustain two ecosystems. And remember they stick to the one game per year plan.

Deleted member 26768

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How is Falcom not being big enough a strange argument? it is a company of barely 50 employees, not even developers. They care about being able to release their games in a timely manner eg. one game every year. Because of this their schedule always is incredibly cramped, until recently they tended to do yearly ports or re-releases on the side too but with the CS Kai ports Kondo has announced those are the last in-house ports. What else is that as an indication that their output has plateau'd? Furthermore, as also has been pointed out time after time, even on this page they get too much support from Sony themselves to consider dropping them going for a platform they probably have some reservations from not due to it's install base but due to it's specs and Falcom knowing well enough their optimisation tends to be messy.
Oh and they already have seen how Nintendo has performed for them in the past with Mastiff's port of Gurumin.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Super Mario Party vs Black Ops 4 for most sales in October.

Let's go.
According to Gamedatalibrary, Mario Party: The Top 100 was at 46 188 in first week (196 945 LTD), Mario Party: Star Rush at
37 569 (201 983) and Mario Party 10 at 51 452 (200 013). Call of Duty: WWII was at 170 996 in first week (437 507), Infinite Warfare at 100 877 (210 406) and Black Ops III at 147 204 (411 856).

But Switch games sell better than Wii U or 3DS games and this Mario Party rembember Mario Party 8 and Mario Party DS, the best sales of the IP. So first week, probably Black Ops 4. In October, too. But Super Mario Party will probably be upper LTD.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
is that right? if we assume that ys viii is one of the problematic ones, and looking back to... demon gaze ii, they had the lost child, happy birthdays, fallen legion, penny-punching princess, the longest five minutes, and the witch and the hundred knight 2 and i think the most egregious issue might have been trophies in tokyo tattoo girls.

True, I guess their missteps are a bit more exaggerated. Especially when it comes to games that games that have been suffering from multiple issues accross platforms like Ys VIII.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How is Falcom not being big enough a strange argument? it is a company of barely 50 employees, not even developers. They care about being able to release their games in a timely manner eg. one game every year. Because of this their schedule always is incredibly cramped, until recently they tended to do yearly ports or re-releases on the side too but with the CS Kai ports Kondo has announced those are the last in-house ports. What else is that as an indication that their output has plateau'd? Furthermore, as also has been pointed out time after time, even on this page they get too much support from Sony themselves to consider dropping them going for a platform they probably have some reservations from not due to it's install base but due to it's specs and Falcom knowing well enough their optimisation tends to be messy.
Oh and they already have seen how Nintendo has performed for them in the past with Mastiff's port of Gurumin.

Gust also had the same amount of employees. And they are able to release title on timely manner and even higher output vs Falcom there.

I feel Falcom is just too comfortable with ps ecosystem right now that they dont need other platform. If there is some guys who want to publish their game outside of ps ecosystem, sure why not? But falcom themselves will not put extra work for themselves.