• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Switch's third party woes go beyond a lull of announcements from one publisher.

Unless I'm mistaken the only third party games to cross 200k in 2019 will be Youkai Watch 4 and Dragon Quest XIS?

Minecraft is also the only potential million seller, and is the only game to have crossed 500k(?).

I was simply answering to the people stupidly starting an exercise of futility with connecting whatever dots they feel should be connected.
Why do you bring a more general point up that was not the matter I was answering to? No need to stir the pot even further.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it is possible. Honestly, removing MP4 development from them felt strange. Even if development was troubled, surely it could've been rebooted ?
I really wish we could know what is happening behind the scenes.
Which is what makes me think it was more than just troubled development that made them move MP4 out of Bandai Namco's hands. Though what he reason is, who knows (then again, it could be simply a combination of troubled development + "sorry, all our other developers are tied up")

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Switch's third party woes go beyond a lull of announcements from one publisher.

Unless I'm mistaken the only third party games to cross 200k in 2019 will be Youkai Watch 4 and Dragon Quest XIS?

Minecraft is also the only potential million seller, and is the only game to have crossed 500k(?).
This just goes back again to Switch not getting (until now) the "AAA" (in parenthesis because I don't consider most to be really AAA) Japanese games day and date, nothing new with this.

Yeshua

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have we ever received confirmation from a credible source that Bandai Namco was involved with Metroid Prime 4 ?

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
They just don't want to include Switch into their multiplatform strategy.
And why don't they want? Just because they hate Nintendo? No, because they think it wouldn't be worth it.

We can think they're wrong, but I really doubt there is another explanation. Port a game to Nintendo Switch cost a lot of ressources (time, people, money, etc.), especially that Switch has a different architecture and is much less powerfull. Develop a new game on PC/PlayStation 4/Xbox One only is proably much easier than if you develop it also on Switch.

For Crash Team Racing, it runs in 480p/30 FPS in docked mode. It will sell well on Switch, because it's a really strong IP and because it's a local multiplayer game, so there is no doubt the port will be profitable for Activision. But a new One Piece, which will sell five or ten times less than CTR overall? It isn't sure at all.

Furthermore, you can't compare port a game to Xbox One and port it to Switch. Xbox One is really close to PlayStation 4, in terms of architecture and power. Switch isn't. I think it's easier to port a game to both PC and Xbox One than to port it only on Switch.

However if we are taking examples we should take the biggest AA publisher out there :THQ Nordic. They have brought a lot of games already and are bringing even more.
Yes, this is absotuley true, but many games are remastered, remakes or late port. If we only look at new multiplateform releases in the first half of 2019:
  • Metro Exodus (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One).
  • Outward (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One).
  • Satisfactory (PC).
  • Fade to Silence (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One).
  • Monster Jam Steel Titans (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One).

I don't say late port, remastered and remakes don't count, not at all. THQ support of Switch is great, but if you only look at new multiplateform releases, it isn't that good. I think Darksiders Genesis is the only game from THQ Nordic/Koch Media/Coffee Stain which will release the same day on PC/PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Switch in 2019.

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
In 10 years time we'll talk about the PSV/3DS to PS4/NSW generational change like the PS2 to PS3 generational leap. 3rd party completely misreading the market, some of them failing hard and a general shrunk of the market.

For every succesful attemp at "think of the west" there are going to be at least 5 failed attemps.
Yet the unsuccessful attempts never receive the attention that the successful attempts do. When whispering sweet nothings into a publishers ear about "the west", you can bet they'll just talk about monster hunter's success and ignore anything else.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was simply answering to the people stupidly starting an exercise of futility with connecting whatever dots they feel should be connected.
Why do you bring a more general point up that was not the matter I was answering to? No need to stir the pot even further.

Well it seems weird to only acknowledge the hyperbole and conspiracy theories and never address the actual criticism...
This just goes back again to Switch not getting (until now) the "AAA" (in parenthesis because I don't consider most to be really AAA) Japanese games day and date, nothing new with this.

If the barrier for AAA releases in Japan is now 200k(anything that is not niche I guess!:P) then the third party marketplace is in its death throes.

EDIT:
For Crash Team Racing, it runs in 480p/30 FPS in docked mode. It will sell well on Switch, because it's a really strong IP and because it's a local multiplayer game, so there is no doubt the port will be profitable for Activision. But a new One Piece, which will sell five or ten times less than CTR overall? It isn't sure at all.
One Piece is like the worst example you could have used when you look at how World Seeker has sold in comparison to the Unlimited games. It's possibly the biggest miss for Bamco in regards to Switch.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The good thing about the PS5, at least, is that we'll Japanese artstyles with raytracing

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017

Well, at least we keep moving the metrics with this 3 year old argument!

But yea, while I've long said the 3rd party support trend is absolutely better this year, I'll also acknowledge the "bigger" titles are still largely absent from the platform. We could still potentially see more than the 2 cross 200K depending on announcements/confirmations (Inazuma Eleven? Puzzles and Dragons? Taiko Drum if Namco does a 19 release?), but PS4 in 2018 had 8 (although, if you look at the first 2 years, Switch has more 200K selling games up until that point).

I would submit that one problem is the continued decline of 3rd parties in the market this generation:

-Take Namco for instance, they have had a total of 4 games surpass 200k on PS4 in over 4 years.
-Capcom's output is literally 1-2 (or zero) major games a year and nothing else that can even approach 200K. Similar to Namco, Capcom has a grand total of 4 PS4 games that have broken 200k.
-KT.. same thing, a total of 3 games hitting 200K on PS4.
-L5 is just a mess, obviously.
-SE might be a different case..but of course they are primed to have 3 of Switch's top selling 3rd party games with Octopath, Builders 2, and DQ XI S.

So I'd submit its a two fold problem right now- One, publishers are not giving Switch as many of their "major" games as you would think they would. But I'd argue another problem is that pool is a lot smaller than it was even 3-4 years ago.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
And why don't they want? Just because they hate Nintendo? No, because they think it wouldn't be worth it.

We can think they're wrong, but I really doubt there is another explanation. Port a game to Nintendo Switch cost a lot of ressources (time, people, money, etc.), especially that Switch has a different architecture and is much less powerfull. Develop a new game on PC/PlayStation 4/Xbox One only is proably much easier than if you develop it also on Switch.

Furthermore, you can't compare port a game to Xbox One and port it to Switch. Xbox One is really close to PlayStation 4, in terms of architecture and power. Switch isn't. I think it's easier to port a game to both PC and Xbox One than to port it only on Switch.

Yes, this is absotuley true, but many games are remastered, remakes or late port. If we only look at new multiplateform releases in the first half of 2019:
  • Metro Exodus (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One).
  • Outward (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One).
  • Satisfactory (PC).
  • Fade to Silence (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One).
  • Monster Jam Steel Titans (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One).

I don't say late port, remastered and remakes don't count, not at all. THQ support of Switch is great, but if you only look at new multiplateform releases, it isn't that good. I think Darksiders Genesis is the only game from THQ Nordic/Koch Media/Coffee Stain which will release the same day on PC/PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Switch in 2019.
So it was worth it on Vita and not worth it on Switch? This is not logical. It is the strongest platform sales wise in JP, and it is strong worldwide. Also, what they released sold very well.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
For japanese publishers, it's absolutely true. For western publishers, or for games from japanese publishers which don't sell in Japan (like Life is Strange), I'm absolutely not sure.

Again, look at Focus Home Interactive. It's a middle-size publisher, which grow every year. This is the list of games published by Focus Home Interactive in 2019:
  • World War Z (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
  • The Surge 2 (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
  • Greedfall (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
  • Farming Simulator 19 (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
  • Battlefleet: Gothic Armada 2 (PC)
  • Mudrunner 2 (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
  • Necromunda: Underhive Wars (PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)

All those games are AA, but Switch is nowhere and nothing indicates that this will change.

Comparison must be done relatively to support to previous Nintendo hardware rather than to support to current Sony/MS platforms.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
So it was worth it on Vita and not worth it on Switch? This is not logical. It is the strongest platform sales wise in JP, and it is strong worldwide. Also, what they released sold very well.
I don't know. Maybe it was easier to release a game on PlayStation 3/PlayStation 4/PlayStation Vita. Maybe they just have the tools to port a game on PlayStation Vita so it's easier for them, but they need to create these tools for Switch, so right now, it's harder to port a game to Switch than to PlayStation Vita.

I don't know. I don't pretend to have the answer. And anyway, their latest game on PlayStation Vita was released in early 2018, more than a year ago. They don't release games on Vita now, so I don't understand in what this comparison could help us.

Comparison must be done relatively to support to previous Nintendo hardware rather than to support to current Sony/MS platforms.
Because? If Stadia only had three games at launch, would we say it's a good support, because it's the first console from Google?

A support is good or bad, and you can see it when you look at the entire market (new games on all plateforms, remakes, remastered, DLC, etc.). Switch is absolutely amazing for indie, it's the second best plateform for these games after PC. It's also as an amazing first party support, one of the best. For AA, it's correct, on par with Xbox One if you look all AA releases (Switch has some AA that Xbox One don't have and vice versa), but below PC/PlayStation 4. For AAA, Switch is the worst console available.

It doesn't mean Switch isn't a good console, but just that if you buy it, you shouldn't expect many new AAA on it and you should accept that many AA won't be available on it.

Last edited:

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017

Why? Why not treat it as a successful platform and give it the support that successful platforms tend to receive? Or to include it in more development pipelines? I mean, I know it's a rhetorical question because the results are clear. If we go back to posts of yours from a couple years back, you were on the "just wait until later, Japanese developers are slow to pivot - see what happened on the ps4?"

Truth of the matter is the switch's current level of support is basically at its peak short of the mythical somehow-exclusive monster Hunter.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least we keep moving the metrics with this 3 year old argument!

But yea, while I've long said the 3rd party support trend is absolutely better this year, I'll also acknowledge the "bigger" titles are still largely absent from the platform. We could still potentially see more than the 2 cross 200K depending on announcements/confirmations (Inazuma Eleven? Puzzles and Dragons? Taiko Drum if Namco does a 19 release?), but PS4 in 2018 had 8 (although, if you look at the first 2 years, Switch has more 200K selling games up until that point).

I would submit that one problem is the continued decline of 3rd parties in the market this generation:

-Take Namco for instance, they have had a total of 4 games surpass 200k on PS4 in over 4 years.
-Capcom's output is literally 1-2 (or zero) major games a year and nothing else that can even approach 200K. Similar to Namco, Capcom has a grand total of 4 PS4 games that have broken 200k.
-KT.. same thing, a total of 3 games hitting 200K on PS4.
-L5 is just a mess, obviously.
-SE might be a different case..but of course they are primed to have 3 of Switch's top selling 3rd party games with Octopath, Builders 2, and DQ XI S.

So I'd submit its a two fold problem right now- One, publishers are not giving Switch as many of their "major" games as you would think they would. But I'd argue another problem is that pool is a lot smaller than it was even 3-4 years ago.

Has the metric actually changed though? If anything the bar has gotten lower because I remember my criticisms of Switch's third party support being partially dismissed on the basis that Switch would have a third party million seller long before PS4 did launch aligned with Youkai Watch 4.

As to the games you mentioned IE11 won't cross 200k with both versions combined at this rate, P&D could hit 200k but wouldn't be easy, Bamco said they would continue to support Drum n Fun(and this year's Taiko would be the PS version).

The bigger issue I see is that all of the "big" Switch games we're discussing now(YW4, DQXIS, Taiko, even something like SMTV) we were discussing this time last year, and some even the year before that. Apart from DQB2 and DQM(assuming Switch) there's been nothing announced in the interim for the future.

The launch aligned equivalent with PS4 is now 2016, when it received FFXV and already had DQXI announced for million sellers. Stuff like Resident Evil 7, Ni-Oh, Nier Automata were already announced.

In regards to the fact that there's less 200k sellers now you can't disassociate that with the weakness of the PS4 platform itself. One Piece World Seeker's predecessor sold over 200k on the 3DS.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Has the metric actually changed though? If anything the bar has gotten lower because I remember my criticisms of Switch's third party support being partially dismissed on the basis that Switch would have a third party million seller long before PS4 did launch aligned with Youkai Watch 4.

Yes, the metric has changed in my opinion. 2 years ago there was general skepticism of Switch gaining any 3rd party support whatsoever.

The bigger issue I see is that all of the "big" Switch games we're discussing now(YW4, DQXIS, Taiko, even something like SMTV) we were discussing this time last year, and some even the year before that. Apart from DQB2 and DQM(assuming Switch) there's been nothing announced in the interim for the future.

That's a solid and fair point IMO.

Last edited:

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, I just noticed that people haven't complained about Marvelous for a while outside of SK games :v

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread
tin.jpg

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Well it seems weird to only acknowledge the hyperbole and conspiracy theories and never address the actual criticism...

If the actual criticism is "There should be more - big - titles / multiplatform releases for the system, given its results in all the markets", I agree (Tales of Arise should've been on Switch, for example...I've gone as far to say how Namco's problems are based on incompetence: if that's not criticising a publisher, I don't know what it can be). But if the criticism is "there is NO support, NO ONE is releasing games for it, unless it's a port / late release / small game, nothing has changed since the system's launch", allow me to say that such narrative is hyperbolic and feeds itself in the echo chamber that can be a forum where the same people discuss about specific topics over and over, so much that they can get magnified in their tone (especially when said people unsurprisingly show up when the Switch misses even one, single announcement while not commenting / discussing in the other Media Create thread. It's almost as if gasp the only thing they know is to rile shit up and moving goalposts - btw, this isn't a specific reference to you, Oregano). And, unfortunately, I really dislike hyperboles and I'd love to see them less and less in any argument over here. But I assume it's a consequence of the "gotcha-ism" Resetera suffers: strong (and hyperbolic) sentences get strong answers, and thus the carnival of stupid goes on once again, until one "gotcha" the other or the other just quits because... who cares, why losing time in engaging with online arguments you know you can't win because the other side is disingeneous about it.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Why? Why not treat it as a successful platform and give it the support that successful platforms tend to receive? Or to include it in more development pipelines? I mean, I know it's a rhetorical question because the results are clear. If we go back to posts of yours from a couple years back, you were on the "just wait until later, Japanese developers are slow to pivot - see what happened on the ps4?"

Truth of the matter is the switch's current level of support is basically at its peak short of the mythical somehow-exclusive monster Hunter.

'cause Switch is not comparable to a, say, Sony platform. First, Nintendo has been struggling with third parties since 25 years; latest platforms weren't supported much by third parties outside a few franchises; you can go from close to zero to hero in a matter of a console lifecycle. Second, Switch and Nintendo platforms in general rely heavily on first party content which creates within-platform competition; this is something PS4 and XB1 don't have to the same degree.

Of course, looking at Switch sales, there's a disconnect in commercial success and third party support. But third party support has greatly improved with respect to the first year so what I was writing it realized.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
It is an overblown discussion. Bandai could have announced the GodEater 3 Switch version at E3 but simply chose to do it 1-2 months earlier due to its July release. I consider them beeing late with Switch versions of certain games as missed opportunity, but they are very prolific on Switch, even with some family friendly exclusive games such as Ninja Box and Doraemon Story of Seasons and continued collaboration on Nintendo 1st Party games such as Smash. Alongside Digimon and Sword Art Online games among others, they already have a relatively filled lineup. Sure they could and should do more, but that's no reason to write off their lineup, and fearmongering about reducing support.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If the actual criticism is "There should be more - big - titles / multiplatform releases for the system, given its results in all the markets", I agree (Tales of Arise should've been on Switch, for example...I've gone as far to say how Namco's problems are based on incompetence: if that's not criticising a publisher, I don't know what it can be). But if the criticism is "there is NO support, NO ONE is releasing games for it, unless it's a port / late release / small game, nothing has changed since the system's launch", allow me to say that such narrative is hyperbolic and feeds itself in the echo chamber that can be a forum where the same people discuss about specific topics over and over, so much that they can get magnified in their tone (especially when said people unsurprisingly show up when the Switch misses even one, single announcement while not commenting / discussing in the other Media Create thread. It's almost as if gasp the only thing they know is to rile shit up and moving goalposts - btw, this isn't a specific reference to you, Oregano). And, unfortunately, I really dislike hyperboles and I'd love to see them less and less in any argument over here. But I assume it's a consequence of the "gotcha-ism" Resetera suffers: strong (and hyperbolic) sentences get strong answers, and thus the carnival of stupid goes on once again, until one "gotcha" the other or the other just quits because... who cares, why losing time in engaging with online arguments you know you can't win because the other side is disingeneous about it.

Oh for sure, I was joking with Hero a few months ago about the fact I declared that Compile Heart and Acquire would never develop Switch games.

It is an overblown discussion. Bandai could have announced the GodEater 3 Switch version at E3 but simply chose to do it 1-2 months earlier due to its July release. I consider them beeing late with Switch versions of certain games as missed opportunity, but they are very prolific on Switch, even with some family friendly exclusive games such as Ninja Box and Doraemon Story of Seasons and continued collaboration on Nintendo 1st Party games such as Smash. Alongside Digimon and Sword Art Online games among others, they already have a relatively filled lineup. Sure they could and should do more, but that's no reason to write off their lineup, and fearmongering about reducing support.

The point is that in 2019 they shouldn't be late. GE3 should have launched in Dec/Feb with the other versions and the upcoming SAO game on Switch should be Lycoris, not 2018's Fatal Bullet.

There's also an argument to be made that their insistence on developing family friendly exclusives is misguided. Billion Road bombed, Ninja Box will bomb and Doraemon did okay but probably less than some of their core focused anime games would sell on Switch.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
There's also an argument to be made that their insistence on developing family friendly exclusives is misguided. Billion Road bombed, Ninja Box will bomb and Doraemon did okay but probably less than some of their core focused anime games would sell on Switch.

Leaving aside your cherry picking (no talk of Taiko Drum, Famista, Go Vacation), the choice is really either put family friendly games on Switch or just... don't make them anymore.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Leaving aside your cherry picking (no talk of Taiko Drum, Famista, Go Vacation), the choice is really either put family friendly games on Switch or just... don't make them anymore.

How much did Famista sell?

Taiko is an obvious stand out but Go Vacation only did well by the standard of being a port of a Wii game. We're still talking <100k.

The Kids' parks games also bombed and I don't recall the Run for the Money ports doing that well either.

...and well what was the plan if Switch bombed as they clearly expected?

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
How much did Famista sell?

Taiko is an obvious stand out but Go Vacation only did well by the standard of being a port of a Wii game. We're still talking <100k.

The Kids' parks games also bombed and I don't recall the Run for the Money ports doing that well either.

...and well what was the plan if Switch bombed as they clearly expected?

Famista was at 115K at end of 2018..

Go Vacation was above 60K towards start of 2019. Would not be at all surprised if it legs to 100K.

I genuinely do get the complaints about Namco's high level support..but if you just look at the numbers, its hard to argue Namco isn't doing well on the platform (relatively speaking)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
It is a little surprising that Sega, Square, etc have decided to try zero AAA games for Switch.

SMT5 and Octopath are fairly big but obviously nowhere close to the level of like KH3.

Kingdom Hearts X Nintendo feels like it should have happened by now.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's a two year late port that probably had a lot less money spent on it than Octopath Traveler...
Some of you really can't make an argument in good faith it is tiring.

You said Square didn't bring an AAA game, that's wrong even if it was just a port. Or else what, GTAV on PS4/XB1 wouldnt be AAA ?

Moreover, it is not a "port", it is an exclusive enhanced version and one of the biggest game of the year in Japan. That would be like saying that Persona 5 The Royal is a port, it makes no sense.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Dengeki Online Sales: Week 25, 2019 (Jun 17 - Jun 23)

01./00. [NSW] Yo-kai Watch 4: We Are Looking Up at the Same Sky (Level 5) {2019.06.20} - 144,528 / NEW
02./00. [PS4] Yakuza 5 (Sega) {2019.06.20} - 22,200 / NEW
03./01. [NSW] Doraemon: Story of Seasons (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.06.13} - 16,200 / 61,588
04./02. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} - 8,600 / 3,197,636
05./03. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} - 7,594 / 862,008
06./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} - 6,075 / 2,199,084
07./06. [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} - 4,494 / 3,034,707
08./05. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Nintendo) {2019.01.11} - 4,459 / 664,943
09./07. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} - 3,624 / 1,039,002
10./11. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World [Best Price] (Capcom) {2018.08.02} - 2,900 / 51,172
11./10. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo) {2018.10.05} - 2,647 / 1,053,951
12./09. [NSW] Pokemon: Let's Go, Eevee! (Pokemon Co.) {2018.11.16} - 2,494 / 691,521
13./13. [NSW] Yoshi's Crafted World (Nintendo) {2019.03.29} - 2,289 / 161,833
14./00. [PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana [Super Price] (Nihon Falcom) {2019.06.20} - 2,173 / NEW
15./12. [NSW] Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu! (Pokemon Co.) {2018.11.16} - 2,117 / 853,221
16./16. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.07.19} - 1,782 / 360,430
17./00. [NSW] Summer Pockets (Prototype) {2019.06.20} - 1,711 / NEW
18./08. [PS4] Rage 2 (Bethesda Softworks) {2019.06.06} - 1,688 / 18,060
19./15. [PS4] Days Gone (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2019.04.26} - 1,400 / 185,492
20./18. [NSW] Kirby Star Allies (Nintendo) {2018.03.16} - 1,324 / 761,432
21./00. [NSW] Hanayaka Kana, Ware ga Ichizoku: Gentou Nostalgia for Nintendo Switch (Idea Factory) {2019.06.20} - 1,238 / NEW
22./17. [NSW] Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.04.04} - 1,233 / 130,712
23./19. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo) {2017.10.27} - 1,171 / 1,838,347
24./22. [NSW] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (Square Enix) {2019.04.11} - 1,100 / 41,217
25./14. [PS4] Everybody's Golf VR |PlayStation VR| (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2019.06.07} - 1,000 / 9,446
26./21. [NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit (Nintendo) {2019.04.11} - 922 / 58,766
27./20. [NSW] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (Square Enix) {2019.04.25} - 878 / 36,189
28./28. [PS4] Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (From Software) {2019.03.22} - 850 / 279,620
29./40. [PS4] Dead by Daylight (3goo) {2018.11.29} - 833 / 36,179
30./30. [PS4] Minecraft: Playstation 4 Edition (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2015.12.03} - 827 / 379,768
31./27. [PS4] NieR: Automata - Game of the YoRHa Edition (Square Enix) {2019.02.21} - 825 / 41,321
32./25. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts III (Square Enix) {2019.01.25} - 822 / 752,437
33./26. [PS4] Ys: Memories of Celceta - Kai (Nihon Falcom) {2019.05.16} - 800 / 24,662
34./24. [NSW] Mario Tennis Aces (Nintendo) {2018.06.22} - 800 / 436,566
35./36. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2018.12.06} - 753 / 29,729
36./32. [NSW] Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate [Best Price] (Capcom) {2018.11.15} - 729 / 25,184
37./33. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege - Deluxe Edition (Ubisoft) {2019.04.11} - 722 / 15,097
38./23. [PS4] Battlefield V (Electronic Arts) {2018.11.20} - 717 / 185,837
39./42. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo (Nintendo) {2016.11.23} - 694 / 425,507
40./34. [NSW] Fortnite (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2018.12.13} - 689 / 35,711
41./45. [NSW] Fit Boxing (Imagineer) {2018.12.20} - 659 / 40,557
42./31. [PS4] Marvel's Spider-Man [Value Selection] (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2019.03.20} - 629 / 10,415
43./37. [PS4] FIFA 19 [Best Price!] (Electronic Arts) {2019.06.06} - 583 / 2,000
44./29. [NSW] Resident Evil: Origins Collection (Capcom) {2019.05.23} - 569 / 8,868
45./41. [NSW] FIFA 19 [Best Price!] (Electronic Arts) {2019.06.06} - 529 / 1,761
46./43. [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Sun (Pokemon Co.) {2017.11.17} - 517 / 910,114
47./39. [NSW] Super Bomberman R [Smile Price Collection] (Konami) {2018.11.29} - 500 / 28,298
48./178. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} - 477 / 1,829,640
49./48. [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Moon (Pokemon Co.) {2017.11.17} - 471 / 880,676
50./55. [NSW] Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Nintendo) {2017.12.01} - 447 / 212,781

Top 50

NSW - 29
PS4 - 17
3DS - 4

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------
| Model | This Week | Week(%)  | FY 2019     | FY(%)   |
| Switch| 239,582   | 76.0%    | 1,847,252   | 59.9%   |
| PS4   | 63,301    | 20.1%    | 1,008,615   | 32.7%   |
| 3DS   | 9,347     | 3.0%     | 159,861     | 5.2%    |
| Vita  | 2,732     | 0.9%     | 53,486      | 1.7%    |
| ETC   | 482       | 0.2%     | 12,514      | 0.4%    |
| Total | 315,444   | 100.0%   | 3,081,728   | 100.0%  |
HARDWARE
Code:
| Model | This Week | Week(%)  | FY 2019     | FY(%)   |
| Switch| 31,538    | 62.9%    | 456,387     | 64.8%   |
| PS4   | 16,017    | 31.9%    | 199,383     | 28.3%   |
| 3DS   | 2,147     | 4.3%     | 42,124      | 6.0%    |
| ETC   | 309       | 0.6%     | 2,073       | 0.3%    |
| Vita  | 155       | 0.3%     | 3,907       | 0.6%    |
| Total | 50,166    | 100.0%   | 703,874     | 100.0%  |

Dengeki Online Sales: Week 24, 2019 (Jun 10 - Jun 16)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Famista was at 155K at end of 2018..

Go Vacation was above 60K towards start of 2019. Would not be at all surprised if it legs to 100K.

I genuinely do get the complaints about Namco's high level support..but if you just look at the numbers, its hard to argue Namco isn't doing well on the platform (relatively speaking)

Famista is a decent result then.

Even 100k for Go Vacation wouldn't be that impressive. If Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition(an older game from the same generation as Go Vacation) was Switch exclusive it would have done similarly, if not better. That's not to say it was underperformance though, it's definitely not.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
[50./55. [NSW] Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Nintendo) {2017.12.01} - 447 / 212,781]

Guess who's back, Back Again

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Well it is also possible we are misinterpreting things and they are par the course, and we just expected more from them (as in day 1 releases at some point)
We are not misinterpreting things. Many companies have increased / continue increasing Switch support this year and you can easily recognise them. Some of them unknown to Nintendo systems before. Bandai Namco, that has already found success on the system and should lead the way, isn't one of them. If you stretch it you can characterize them as stagnant to years 1 and 2, far from ideal for being a close and traditional publisher for Nintendo.

2019 was an important year that would indicate future plans from them and regarding Switch they failed hard at support level.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Just consider that the output has slowed down in general and even more so for the bigger IPs considerably and you'll realize that betting/building your ecosystem on Japanese 3rd Party "AAA" isn't exactly a guarantee for success. This generation Final Fantasy will see only one mainline entry, one that started as Versus13 on PS3 and an episode of a Remake befire the launch of next gen systems. Tales of will see its first non PS3/crossgen entry at the very tail end of the generation. It's not like they'll be able to churn out much more games next generation.

Will be interesting to see how Falcom will perform in the market with the increasing demands in production values, smaller target audience (no Sony handheld) and maybe smaller games output. They are quite small after all, even Monolithsoft seems to be bigger now.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Just consider that the output has slowed down in general and even more so for the bigger IPs considerably and you'll realize that betting/building your ecosystem on Japanese 3rd Party "AAA" isn't exactly a guarantee for success. This generation Final Fantasy will see only one mainline entry, one that started as Versus13 on PS3 and an episode of a Remake befire the launch of next gen systems. Tales of will see its first non PS3/crossgen entry at the very tail end of the generation. It's not like they'll be able to churn out much more games next generation.

Will be interesting to see how Falcom will perform in the market with the increasing demands in production values, smaller target audience (no Sony handheld) and maybe smaller games output. They are quite small after all, even Monolithsoft seems to be bigger now.

This is actually one of the reasons why i want the Switch to be the primary platform for japanese games. Building a game that maxes out the Switch capabilities is alot faster and cheaper than making a game that maxes out the PS4s capabilities.

I don't mind them going all out every once in a while for something like a mainline Final Fantasy/Resident Evil, but that definitely should not be a japanese publishers primary strategy.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta admit, I am failing to find excuses for certain JP games skipping Switch, even if the port would have been 360p shitshow, it would sell. There might be something fundamentally broken between some 3rd party pubs and Nintendo.

Side off, but Falcom going bigger budget and engine on mostly PS systems, can they sustain that?
If they got acquired by Sony and told "here is $$$$ and marketing, now make us some premiere JRPG", then okay, but on their own?

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like Nintendo's 3rd party relations team in japan is either really bad or doesn't exist? Their western branch seems to work pretty well, but they're being upstaged by Phil's trips to Japan*.

Like I hope Nintendo isn't holding grudges against Capcom instead of trying to get their support to an acceptable rate. If Namco is upset, try and fix that.

Phil Spencer part is not serious, lol

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is actually one of the reasons why i want the Switch to be the primary platform for japanese games. Building a game that maxes out the Switch capabilities is alot faster and cheaper than making a game that maxes out the PS4s capabilities.

I don't mind them going all out every once in a while for something like a mainline Final Fantasy/Resident Evil, but that definitely should not be a japanese publishers primary strategy.

The issue for something like the Tales team is that after Arise they will have to do a massive leap in production values again or they will be back to square one.