• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Guys. I had to sleep. I leave you all alone for a few hours and this is what you post?

eh... at least it's not about Monster Hunter.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Guys. I had to sleep. I leave you all alone for a few hours and this is what you post?

eh... at least it's not about Monster Hunter.
Now that MH is firmly back into Sony's camp and Capcom's Switch output is downright garbage, no one has any illusion about a new MH game on Switch that wouldn't be an upres of Stories

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are they from the same franchise? All the characters look pretty similar
I dont know much about the series to say but I am pretty sure SAO is not apart of that franchise, accel world however is actually apart of SAO and takes place like 100 years after SAO(its also better than Sao)

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Now that MH is firmly back into Sony's camp and Capcom's Switch output is downright garbage, no one has any illusion about a new MH game on Switch that wouldn't be an upres of Stories

My money is on a port of the PS3 version of 3rd HD. Digital only. 4000yen. With an ad saying, "We heard you wanted Monster Hunter on Switch. Here is the most popular Monster Hunter game in Japan, now on Switch" Just for the troll factor.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Not in 2023 it won't. Part of the reason the PS4 gets so much Japanese support is chasing global sales, and those will literally shut off in a year.

Games released for PS3 after PS4 was on the market.
2014: 91
2015: 69
2016: 36
2017: 5

Dragon Quest series games releases on PS3 after the PS4 was on the market: 3

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
My money is on a port of the PS3 version of 3rd HD. Digital only. 4000yen. With an ad saying, "We heard you wanted Monster Hunter on Switch. Here is the most popular Monster Hunter game in Japan, now on Switch" Just for the troll factor.
You joke but I'd absolutely love getting MH4U on Switch. Best game in the series.

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
Switch's week to week numbers have been trending down when compared to this time last year.
Whats the general consensus, whats the feeling in Japan? Is it simply a lack of software driving sales or perhaps some anticipation of a next Switch (if rumours are to be believed).

Not that these numbers are weak, theyre solid, just lower at the same time last year.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
I dont know much about the series to say but I am pretty sure SAO is not apart of that franchise, accel world however is actually apart of SAO and takes place like 100 years after SAO(its also better than Sao)
Nope. Completely different companies and everything.
Wait, hold on. I think I saw my sister watching rezero, it has a skull looking guy and his servant, or something like that, right?

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but lots of people want that one so Capcom won't.

I'm a diehard Nintendo fan but I'm absolutely fine with Crapcom's output on the system so far. They've given me a lot of ports of games I'd like and they all run decently fine portable. I also don't really care for World that much so I'm fine if it never hits Switch, though maybe having G rank in a few months will soften me just like GU did for Generations.

Oct 27, 2017
Switch's week to week numbers have been trending down when compared to this time last year.
Whats the general consensus, whats the feeling in Japan? Is it simply a lack of software driving sales or perhaps some anticipation of a next Switch (if rumours are to be believed).

Not that these numbers are weak, theyre solid, just lower at the same time last year.
I think a promotion for the switch is startibg this week? If so i beleive thats why they are low cuz people were waiting on it

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

June sucks, always has, always will. Plus anyone who plans on getting a new Switch was waiting for this week when they get a 3000¥ coupon for the eShop.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
It'll be fun to look back in this thread after 4 or 5 years when DQXII is announced. It going PS5-only would cement 3rd parties being mostly irrelevant in Japan when it comes to moving hardware. Would be interesting to see how high it could get though.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
First Day Sell-through {2019.06.27}

[NSW] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball <SPT> (Konami) (¥6.980) - 30%

[PS4] Samurai Shodown <FTG> (SNK) (¥7.200) - 50%

[PS4] [PSV] Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Syukufuku wo! Kibou no Meikyuu to Tsudoishi Boukenshatachi # <ADV> (Entergram) (¥7.980) - 60% (small shipment)

[NSW] [PS4] Jinrui no Minasama he <ADV> (Nippon Ichi Software) (¥6.980) - 40%

[PS4] Home Sweet Home <ADV> (Mastiff) (¥4.500) - 20%

Legoland

[NSW] [PS4] Puyo Puyo Champions <PZL> (Sega) (¥1.990)

_____

Super Mario Maker 2 has a big shipment.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
PREDICTION LEAGUE JULY 2019

[NSW] God Eater 3 (18 days) - 33.250
[PS4 + PSV] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2019 (11 days) - 58.555
[NSW] Rune Factory 4 Special (4 days) - 23.333
[NSW] Fire Emblem: Three Houses (3 days) - 215.555

Last edited:

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Is there a reason we are predicting three houses to be so significantly down, Fates did 353k according to game data library. Low preorders or something?

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Maybe my English is rusty, but my sentence was intended to mean that the PS4 is getting more support than comparatively it should for its performance, not that is should receive no support.
No it's not. The ps4 deserves every single 3rd party game it gets. And don't act like the rest of the world doesn't exist because once again the vast majority of devs look at it's WW performance when green lighting games for it.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Is there a reason we are predicting three houses to be so significantly down, Fates did 353k according to game data library. Low preorders or something?
I'm predicting a lower number since the art/characters will not be as appealing to some people in Japan. I don't think otome designs will attract as many people as Fates' designs did.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
I'm predicting a lower number since the art/characters will not be as appealing to some people in Japan. I don't think otome designs will attract as many people as Fates' designs did.
True. I guess I just assumed that with how majority of switch first party games have been performing, it would have held a bit better. I think it should have better legs at least

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
All this talk of how surely Squeenix would still localize some of these Dragon Quest games without Nintendo's help but here I am sitting here looking at my lack of 3DS DQ Monsters games. ;_;

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
No it's not. The ps4 deserves every single 3rd party game it gets. And don't act like the rest of the world doesn't exist because once again the vast majority of devs look at it's WW performance when green lighting games for it.
No console 'deserves' anything.

But based on historical precedent, no it did not 'deserve' every single 3rd party game it got.

PS4 was and is by far the least successful platform in history in Japanese sales to get a main line Dragon Quest release. Every other console in history that got one had the highest userbase. Every single other one, in the entire history of the series.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
No console 'deserves' anything.

But based on historical precedent, no it did not 'deserve' every single 3rd party game it got.

PS4 was and is by far the least successful platform in history in Japanese sales to get a main line Dragon Quest release. Every other console in history that got one had the highest userbase. Every single other one, in the entire history of the series.

It's crazy to think how angry SQEX shareholders would have been if DQXI had be released on PS4 only. Without a 3DS version, the game would have sold at most 2m in Japan.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018

Some Japanese devs would rather make console exclusive games for the PS4 and die on the platform than explore new territory. That's what people mean when they say the PS4 doesn't deserve this much support. Not all games do well on the platform despite its install base. You're speaking as a Sony fan when you say it deserves "every 3rd party game it gets". That is not true. This extends to other Sony platforms like the Vita too. The "why won't people buy a Vita" slide from the Danganronpa devs are a prime example. You've been asking about potential Level-5 ports to the platform despite the HUGE MISMATCH in audience as well. You've to accept that, no, the PS4 doesn't deserve every 3rd party game it gets. A lot of things fail on it, and it weird as fuck that some Japanese devs would rather die on the platform than support other ones.

Edit: Furthermore, indies sell a lot of more on PC and Switch. PS4 sales usually make for a meager amount of the total. If we follow you logic, then the poor sales on the platform shouldn't have justified the ports. A lot of indies should just be Switch + PC then. You're opening the pandora's box.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Nintendo eShop Sales: June 20th to June 26th, 2019

Nintendo eShop – Nintendo Switch

05./11. – Yo-kai Watch 4 (Level-5) [20.6.2019] (pre-purchase and launch discount)
02./09. – Super Mario Maker 2 (Nintendo) [28.6.2019]
03./01. – Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the Necrodancer feat. The Legend of Zelda (Spike-Chunsoft) [14.6.2019]
04./New. – Muse Dash (X.D. Network) [20.6.2019]
05./04. – Timberman VS. Edition (Forever Entertainment) [01.11.2018] (currently on sale)
06./08. – Overcooked! 2 (Team17) [07.8.2018] (was on sale)
07./06. – Human: Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) [28.12.2017]
08./New. – My Friend Pedro (Devolver Digital) [20.6.2019]
09./New. – Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu (Konami) [27.6.2019]

10./02. – Doraemon Story of Seasons (Bandai-Namco) [13.6.2019]
11./11. – Futari de! Nyanko Dai Sensou! (Ponos) [20.12.2018]
12./14. – Minecraft (Mojang / Microsoft Japan) [21.6.2018]
13./12. – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
14./13. – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo) [07.12.2018]
15./15. – Dead Cells (Motion Twin) [07.8.2019] (was on sale)
16./00. – Sky Ride (Mutan) [24.8.2017] (currently on sale)
17./03. – Cuphead (StudioMDHR) [18.4.2019]
18./18. – Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) [28.04.2017]
19./19. – Stardew Valley (Chucklefish) [11.1.2018]
20./00. – Sly the Spire (Humble Bundle) [06.6.2019]

Nintendo eShop – Nintendo 3DS

01./01. – The Battle Cats POP! (Ponos) [31.5.2015]
02./02. – Pokémon Crystal Version (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [26.1.2018]
03./03. – Dragon Quest III (Square-Enix) [24.8.2017]
04./06. – Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS (Microsoft Japan) [14.9.2017]
05./04. – Animal Crossing: New Leaf – Welcome amiibo (Nintendo) [23.11.2016]
06./05. – Dragon Quest II (Square-Enix) [10.8.2017]
07./07. – Dragon Quest (Square-Enix) [10.8.2017]
08./08. – Bike Rider DX (Spicysoft) [26.12.2012]
09./10. – Ice Station Z (Wobbly Tooth) [05.4.2017]
10./00. – EarthBound (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [04.3.2016]

Last edited:

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
DQ11 did nothing outside of Japan on PS4 and PC and looks like it's headed for another nothing performance on Switch.

Looks like based on what? It's getting heavier promotion by Nintendo than Sony/SE did last year, it has Hero Smash tie in and DQIX did more than 1M in the west in about half a year I believe. Nintendofans do like the franchise.

I would be very surprised if it performed 'nothing' on the Switch in the west.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Not really that surprising to see publishers not exactly pushing more significant Switch development, even though I disagree with the notion that they aren't supporting Switch. Two generations of relative irrelevance during N64 and GameCube generation gave Sony enough time to built partnerships. It also helped that due to their uncompetetive 1st Party offerings they needed and were also willing enough to moneyhat publishers more often and "generously" than Nintendo wanted to and more than Sega was able to.

Harada built his career mostly with Tekken, a series that was strongly pushed by Sony during PS1 and PS2. With Haradas recent promotion he has even more say at Namco to what overall strategy the company should follow. Nagoshi also has a leading position at Sega, in a recent interview he pointed out that he would have hated to work at Nintendo as an employee after his experience with F-ZeroGX on top of this Nintendo declined bis initial pitch for Yakuza. Sony also was a major shareholder of SQEX until very recently. It may sound petty but yes there may be a certain bias influencing top managing decisions.