• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody in this thread ever cared for the Xbox One version that would sell 50k across the whole continent, but many sure spent months calling Capcom stupid for ignoring the Asian PC market

Par for the course.
Exactly.

The pieces of the puzzle are coming together anyway. No Xbox version were probably happening, Spencer convinced them it was viable worldwide, they kept it PS4 only in Japan. Maybe it doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

edit: Since we're having fun, with the news of the PC version coming to every relevant regions, I'm gonna say the game might go to 15M sold when all is said and done.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
People talked about the Xbox version? At least in Japan. There was more confusion over the PC version with confusing exclusivity talk around the translation for China that left some thinking it was possible in the future and others thinking it wasn't?

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I've always said that the no Xbox in Japan could simply be a change of direction for Capcom, who has tended to release the Xbox versions, when they exist, in Japan. The future will tell us about that. It could also be an isolated case of that sort of decision making. (In which case we will be forever confused)

And it could be the hallmark of some sort of exclusivity deal. (In which case we will probably always or long be in the dark).

Don't think the PC news changes any of that, really.

The point is "lol Xbox in Japan" was said back then too--it doesn't suddenly become salient. And it continues to ignore Capcom's release history. I think you need to posit one of the three things I'm suggesting to explain it (only one of which is an exclusivity deal).

Last edited:

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
A console exclusivity deal would prevent a hypothetical Switch version to release in Asia.

And what prevents this hypothetical Switch version from releasing in America and Europe since there is already an XB1 version there? Oh right, Capcom themselves said it's technically not feasible but would that prevent the tin foil hats wearers from the "Blame Sony" campaign for all the Switch 3rd party woes? I don't think so.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
And what prevents this hypothetical Switch version from releasing in America and Europe since there is already an XB1 version there? Oh right, Capcom themselves said it's technically not feasible but would that prevent the tin foil hats wearers from the "Blame Sony" campaign for all the Switch 3rd party woes? I don't think so.

Capom porting World over to Switch just for the West would not make sense.

Taking World assets and making a portable line of games makes a lot more sense. Which is what they are in all likelihood doing.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

It is business as usual nothing more, I am not blaming Sony/Capcom it was a smart and successful move. It is the only Capcom game not releasing on X1 in Japan and that's the reason imo.

A Monster Hunter game releasing only in the West on Switch wouldn't financially make sense because of opportunity costs.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
And what prevents this hypothetical Switch version from releasing in America and Europe since there is already an XB1 version there?
that Japan is a massive market for the Switch, they cared enough that even got into that loophole to having to use Stream to "deliver" RE7 to Switch over there.

Nov 2, 2017
ERA survey:
1) MH5 will be Switch exclusive and sell less or close to MHW?
2) MH5 will launch on XB1/PS4/Switch/PC and sell 10 M in the first month?
3) Can Capcom launch MH5 on 4 machines at the same time?
4) MHW2 will ignore the Switch?

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently there are no more preorders for Octopath Traveler at Yodobashi Camera. Don't know how common this is, so I can't comment
https:///octopath-traveler-is-so-popular-it-has-sold-out-on-yodobashi-camera/

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Yet again the same Monster Hunter discussion that we had for the past year and more? Time escape thread

Splatoon2.jpg

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
So the whole Asian exclusive shit is gonna die now right? Fuck what an excessively exhausting discussion over somethung that did not matter in the end.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I've kind of had in my head 100K FW/200K LTD for a while. Seems like a reasonable expectation? I might be lowballing it a bit.
That seems fair i think.

A console exclusivity deal would prevent a hypothetical Switch version to release in Asia.
Thats true, but people were using "no PC version for the asian market" as an arguement/proof for an exclusive deal being in place, and now we know that this isnt the case at least. But any deal regarding console exclusivity is anyone's guess.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Apparently there are no more preorders for Octopath Traveler at Yodobashi Camera. Don't know how common this is, so I can't comment
https:///octopath-traveler-is-so-popular-it-has-sold-out-on-yodobashi-camera/
Well, it's definitely a bad sign, at the very least. I do hope it means it's overperforming, I'm rooting for this game to be a giant success on the scale of Persona 5 worldwide.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
JAPANESE RETAILER SELLS OUT OF OCTOPATH TRAVELER PRIOR TO LAUNCH

Well this is a bit of good news for Square-Enix. Yodobashi Camera, a rather large game retailer in Japan, has completely sold out of their Octopath Traveler online allotment. If you want to snatch up the game in Japan from an online retailer, Yodobashi Camera is no longer an option. I can't wait to see what this game pulls in for its first-week sales.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3131...ells-out-of-octopath-traveler-prior-to-launch

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Well this is a bit of good news for Square-Enix. Yodobashi Camera, a rather large game retailer in Japan, has completely sold out of their Octopath Traveler online allotment. If you want to snatch up the game in Japan from an online retailer, Yodobashi Camera is no longer an option. I can't wait to see what this game pulls in for its first-week sales.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3131...ells-out-of-octopath-traveler-prior-to-launch
It begins.

Nov 2, 2017
that looks like the devs said "what if we took GF's bad level design, and added fifty billion fucking people at once"
Is a half million $ game. it would be amazing if it supports that kind of online game.
Developer talks about Switch and Unity Engine:
"In general, it's a problematic console", he said about the machine."In the end Switch is very limited at the hardware level; we do not have access to tools of a lower level, but we adapt to what we have, which is Unity. Depends on what Unity is able to squeeze from the console and in this case is not one hundred percent. You have to lower the resolution, you have to lower the FPS ... ". The idea with the Nintendo Switch version is that the development is almost parallel between PC and consoles. There will be elements where Switch advances somewhat slower, but it is guaranteed that the launch will be simultaneous on all platforms. It will not be released later on Nintendo Switch. May 2020 for all.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I mean I've always said that the no Xbox in Japan could simply be a change of direction for Capcom, who has tended to release the Xbox versions, when they exist, in Japan. The future will tell us about that. It could also be an isolated case of that sort of decision making. (In which case we will be forever confused).
The future's already set, every single Xbox One Capcom game before and after MHW released or is announced for Japan. Including upcoming games like DMC5, RE2 and MM11.

Oh right, Capcom themselves said it's technically not feasible
Capcom never said that.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The article is all the time '' We are not like Pokémon, we do different things, we are better '' so that all the time the article is like '' yes, we have a Ditto, yes, we have Nuzlocke ''.

I see them too proud at this point of development.

In fact, the interviewer highlights his cockiness.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Peru

Huh, neat. Hope it surpasses Bravely Default in Japan.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
MHW PC is confirmed for Japanand Korea. And with We Game release I'm assuming it's hitting Chinese region as well.
That's great in the end! Weird how they basically hid that fact for asia until today.
Well that's 6 months worth of discussion we'll never get back
If we counted all the hours of discussions "lost" in those threads for a MH game...
Still a console exclusive there though ;)

Great to hear as well.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
MHW just reminds us that Nintendo almost singlehandedly managed to dominate Japan again, this time with Switch.

That PS4 is trending towards a year on year decline even with a favourable start thanks to MHW and no handheld to capture the market doesn't bode too well for PlayStation as a brand in Japan for the next few years.

We are looking at a possible scenario that Sonys best selling system this gen sells as bad as PS3, while last gen they still had a system selling 20millions units with PSP.

I also think that if their next system is just another normal console, it won't perform any better than PS4 either. While for Switch, as of right now, its worst case scenario in Japan seems to be selling better than PS2 rather than records breaking DS. So not a bad outlook in Japan, atleast for Switch.

Last edited:

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
The future's already set, every single Xbox One Capcom game before and after MHW released or is announced for Japan. Including upcoming games like DMC5, RE2 and MM11.
Thought that might be the case but didn't bother to check...

Either the decision is strange or there was some sort of agreement between Sony and Capcom then, neither of which the PC version coming out says anything towards (well, except PC wasn't ruled out by Sony in the case there is exclusivity agreement). It is just a further wrinkle in the picture, especially considering Sony has often not excluded PC with exclusivity deals.

I'm guessing not revealing the PC version until so late was part of some marketing deal in Asia? Otherwise you'd think they'd have talked about it when they talked about it for other regions.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Thought that might be the case but didn't bother to check...

Either the decision is strange or there was some sort of agreement between Sony and Capcom then, neither of which the PC version coming out says anything towards (well, except PC wasn't ruled out by Sony in the case there is exclusivity agreement). It is just a further wrinkle in the picture, especially considering Sony has often not excluded PC with exclusivity deals.

I'm guessing not revealing the PC version until so late was part of some marketing deal in Asia? Otherwise you'd think they'd have talked about it when they talked about it for other regions.
PS4 doesn't consider PC as a direct competitor - take crossplay for example, PS4 allows crossplay with PC (and mobile), yet it doesn't with XB and NS.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Was wrong about the release of MHW on PC in Japan. It was strange how they never talked about it, is coming out so long after the PS4 version, and they didn't follow their standard release methods in Japan. But glad to see that it is coming out.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
Most of early MHW speculation was based on that old 4chan "leak" so many people thought there was some form of exclusivity. It didn't help that news of no exclusivity took this long to surface either.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Was wrong about there being no PC version of MHW for Asia. Oh well.

The Asian Capcom websites didn't hint at a PC version for over a year and then just reveal at the last second. Meanwhile, Steam version was listed on the western Capcom sites since E3 reveal.

Shows how unpredictable Capcom are with the decisions they make. Like releasing both MHW (PC, which had a planned Fall release) and MHGU (Switch) in August this year.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Holy shit, there's something about switch where if a publisher wants a title to sell it Will almlst always end up selling above expectations

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is a half million $ game. it would be amazing if it supports that kind of online game.
Developer talks about Switch and Unity Engine:
"In general, it's a problematic console", he said about the machine."In the end Switch is very limited at the hardware level; we do not have access to tools of a lower level, but we adapt to what we have, which is Unity. Depends on what Unity is able to squeeze from the console and in this case is not one hundred percent. You have to lower the resolution, you have to lower the FPS ... ". The idea with the Nintendo Switch version is that the development is almost parallel between PC and consoles. There will be elements where Switch advances somewhat slower, but it is guaranteed that the launch will be simultaneous on all platforms. It will not be released later on Nintendo Switch. May 2020 for all.
Coulda sworn this was 2019, but they are gonna really lose out on the switch audince which is the most important by far because the "core" Pokemon game would be out by then

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Console exclusivity agreements exist. In this case, it might well be due to a possible Switch porting. Yeah, we know Capcom decided to develop MHW on PS4/XB1 and that wouldn't be feasible on Switch, but nothing prevented them to develop a Switch version in a short timespan. Exclusivity deals exist to avoid these situations.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I think MHW could run on Switch; but I also think that since they are developing a new entry in the franchise as we speak, it probably didn't make sense to release MHW on Switch, as porting it would have involved reworking the game significantly as it's not greatly optimized to begin with.
Had they known earlier that the Switch would be a success, I believe they would have released MHW on it as well; they made a lot of money but could have made even more.