• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
when the thread and fearmongering started Nintendo was still up, so what is your point?
I'm sorry? Capcom's stock has doubled in value and at worst is set to underperform lofty expectations (hence the hit today) while Nintendo is at best flat (unhappy shareholders), at worst on a downward trend (panicked shareholders). Why are you arguing this?

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I think MHW could run on Switch; but I also think that since they are developing a new entry in the franchise as we speak, it probably didn't make sense to release MHW on Switch, as porting it would have involved reworking the game significantly as it's not greatly optimized to begin with.
Had they known earlier that the Switch would be a success, I believe they would have released MHW on it as well; they made a lot of money but could have made even more.

People tend to forget or, possibly, don't know how business works.

It's 2014. You're Sony. You're working with Capcom to start bringing the MH franchise on your platforms. You don't know anything (or almost anything) about future Nintendo plans nor you know whether Xbox One will be a successful venture worldwide (well, there were already some data on it but it was early). You want to secure the franchise to allow PS4 to succeed big time---especially in Asia, because at that time 70-80% of sales were coming from there. Now, how would you approach the agreement? It seems natural to require a console exclusivity clause in Asia, because: 1. it was the main MH market; 2. PS3 struggled in Asia more than elsewhere so PS4 needs something to drive sales over there; 3. you don't know whether the new Nintendo platform would allow a porting of the game nor whether Xbox One would gain traction in Asia.

A firm like Sony must forecast all possibilities when agreeing on marketing and advertising expenses. It seems that a console exclusivity clause in Asia was pretty easy to obtain as Capcom wanted to focus on Western markets.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I'm sorry? Capcom's stock has doubled in value while Nintendo is at best flat (unhappy shareholders), at worst on a downward trend (panicked shareholders). Why are you arguing this?
cause you are moving goal post from
"is 11% down with a reason, worthy of a thread" to "doesnt matter they still on green" when we had a 15 Pages when Nintendo down trend started after LG

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
cause you are moving goal post from
"is 11% down with a reason, worthy of a thread" to "doesnt matter they still on green" when we had a 15 Pages when Nintendo down trend started after LG
I didn't make that thread or any of those arguments so not sure who you think you're taking to. I explained why I think Nintendo's decline is worth talking about. Are you having the discussion with me or with these strawmen?

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Merrill Lynch Japan considering MHW sales as "risk" is interesting.
I'm guessing they're thinking more in terms of this fiscal year's sales?

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A near 12% drop in one day is of course thread worthy. Kinda crazy that the stock went down so much just because of one game. Capcom still have Remake2 and DMC5 this fiscal year, which, from what I see, generated lots of positive buzz since announce. How do investors feel about those games?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The excitement for MHW seems to have died off in general. MHW and Mega Man 11 are the only original games from Capcom in 2018, but I guess that's normal for them.

A near 12% drop in one day is of course thread worthy. Kinda crazy that the stock went down so much just because of one game. Capcom still have Remake2 and DMC5 this fiscal year, which, from what I see, generated lots of positive buzz since announce. How do investors feel about those games?
Devil May Cry isn't as popular as you would be led to believe.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Devil May Cry isn't as popular as you would be led to believe.
I never believed it's very popular. But DMCV seems to have a high chance to become the highest selling DMC game ever, shouldn't investors be pleased with that? Of course not every Capcom game will sell like MHW.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I never believed it's very popular. But DMCV seems to have a high chance to become the highest selling DMC game ever, shouldn't investors be pleased with that? Of course not every Capcom game will sell like MHW.
This is assuming the investors know that and we don't even know if the game is releasing during the current FY. All Capcom has said is "Spring".
Dmc isn't that popular but RE is though
Of course.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty sad how Capcom made great game (and it sold really well at launch) but don't manage to fully harness its sales potential because of their shitty post release support. If MH:W had been Ubisoft game it would had sold already few extra millions on back of great post release content.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I wonder if the drop is so big because some shareholders were expecting a switch port along with PC and just thought capcom was being coy
per another article I linked on the thread, it seem they are disappointing by the lack of legs MH:W had, 3DS games kept selling/ charting longer.

this also kinda of goes with my view that World sold so massively mainly on the novelty factor :/

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The long-term performance of MH on PS4/Xbox/PC was always going to be more interesting.

Last gen on 3DS they were able to drop a game pretty much every year and have it sell around 3m copies. Will be interesting to see what the can achieve per year post MHW release on these console and with what kind of products.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
per another article I linked on the thread, it seem they are disappointing by the lack of legs MH:W had, 3DS games kept selling/ charting longer.

this also kinda of goes with my view that World sold so massively mainly on the novelty factor :/
Yea that sounds accurate, I wonder what was their plan from this time forward, I dont see a MHW G going over well with the Western audience

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Was wrong about the release of MHW on PC in Japan. It was strange how they never talked about it, is coming out so long after the PS4 version, and they didn't follow their standard release methods in Japan. But glad to see that it is coming out.
One of the producers mentioned back in January that the reason why the PC version is coming out later is because its the first PC release for the team, and they wanted to put extra work into it to make sure that it was done right. They wanted to finish the console versions first, then focus on the PC version. https://www.destructoid.com/monster...-up-about-the-pc-version-s-delay-481894.phtml

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

Easily. Including PC sales DMC4 is at around 3.4 million. Include SE sales its close to 4.4 million.

DMC5 is primed to match or break that lifetime.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
It's really werid how Capcom has been slow with post-launch support.

You'd think G-rank would have dropped around the time the "too easy" criticism started getting traction with the longtime players.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
This is assuming the investors know that and we don't even know if the game is releasing during the current FY. All Capcom has said is "Spring".

You must have missed the PR release from Capcom after DMCV and RE2 were revealed that those two are the major titles they have planned for release this FY. But of course, since MHW, they no longer give sales forecasts for their major titles.

The only general factor is that a major title is something expected to be a million seller.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
In Japan atleast people in this thread were talking about lapsed psp/ps2 owners getting interested in this one because they skipped out on Wii/3DS
I can see that as a unreliable group but I dont think we have any idea how large that base is
That might be, but i think he was talking about a novelty factor of the game itself. In Japan, MHW sold relatively close to other MH titles, so i'm not sure if its easy to say who bought it. Based on previous sales, theres already enough of an audience to reach ~3 million sales at least.

"OMG MH:W WITH GRAPHICS"
"OMG MH ON CONSOLES" (frontier and ports seems non existent)
"MH:W Is like Dark Souls with Dinosaurs!!"
Do you think tons of Monster Hunter fans and extra people bought the game just because of the better graphics and being on console, and now that they've had that "fix", they wont have any interest in the upcoming MH games? Honest question. "Being like Dark Souls" is nothing new though, that factor has always been there.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
It's pretty sad how Capcom made great game (and it sold really well at launch) but don't manage to fully harness its sales potential because of their shitty post release support. If MH:W had been Ubisoft game it would had sold already few extra millions on back of great post release content.

From what I've seen, post-launch support is the same as 3DS entries, but with the addition of a new monster every once in a while.

Find that amusing with how they've said they wanted to compete with western AAA. They will have to realise that "open world maturez game with fancy grafx" doesn't really cut it anymore for being a successful AAA, especially in the multiplayer space (and your example of Ubisoft is point on, especialyl as they have thousands of developers around the world working on games, which is something Capcom doesn't really have).

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
JAPANESE RETAILER SELLS OUT OF OCTOPATH TRAVELER PRIOR TO LAUNCH

Well this is a bit of good news for Square-Enix. Yodobashi Camera, a rather large game retailer in Japan, has completely sold out of their Octopath Traveler online allotment. If you want to snatch up the game in Japan from an online retailer, Yodobashi Camera is no longer an option. I can't wait to see what this game pulls in for its first-week sales.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3131...ells-out-of-octopath-traveler-prior-to-launch

This isn't just regular starvation.

This is advanced starvation.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Maybe, just maybe, MH will have sustained global appeal due to improvements in visuals. You know, the first thing most people notice about any given game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, just maybe, MH will have sustained global appeal due to improvements in visuals. You know, the first thing most people notice about any given game.
That only works if you know that 5M people looked at the 3ds games and said "that's ugly". I'm more willing to bet World would be the first time many of them even heard of Monster Hunter