• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
That only works if you know that 5M people looked at the 3ds games and said "that's ugly". I'm more willing to bet World would be the first time many of them even heard of Monster Hunter

You right, they probably weren't aware of the games on the 3DS. But there doesn't need to be a comparison taking place in the minds of consumers for the graphical jump to matter.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That only works if you know that 5M people looked at the 3ds games and said "that's ugly". I'm more willing to bet World would be the first time many of them even heard of Monster Hunter
If MH maintained the way it looked on 3DS, these 5M people would not hear about Monster Hunter still. MHW received huge marketing in the west because it is marketable, and graphic is the number one reason why it is marketable.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
MHW probably picked up a lot of new players (graphics snobs, and people out of the loop) and brought back a few Sony only players, as well as selling to a portion of the normal MH crowd. How many of the new players it will keep when they release the annualized edition has yet to be seen.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.

Not to mention that impressing people with graphics only really works the first time, gets increasingly difficult to pull off (especially without blowing up the budget). I honestly don't feel like that's the way Capcom will chose for future entries (excluding any potential Switch ones, obviously).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention that impressing people with graphics only really works the first time, gets increasingly difficult to pull off (especially without blowing up the budget). I honestly don't feel like that's the way Capcom will chose for future entries (excluding any potential Switch ones, obviously).
I'm sure RE Engine will give them some kind of headroom to work with since it won't be an aging engine. But at this point, World 2 would be next gen. Of course, does Capcom even have the manpower to make such a jump?

n1nt1nsu1t

Oct 29, 2017
Quick question, somewhat: What are the chances of God Eater Resurrection or the series in general coming to the Switch? What is your opinion? I vaguely remember it being mentioned as one of the possible ports to the Switch from BN in some of the discussions on the forum.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, somewhat: What are the chances of God Eater Resurrection or the series in general coming to the Switch? What is your opinion? I vaguely remember it being mentioned as one of the possible ports to the Switch from BN in some of the discussions on the forum.
Why port Resurrection to the switch when 3 is on the way? Bamco would rather port nothing at all

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure RE Engine will give them some kind of headroom to work with since it won't be an aging engine. But at this point, World 2 would be next gen. Of course, does Capcom even have the manpower to make such a jump?
Sure, even with MHW lots of assets were outsources....will be the same for MHW and the jump isnt nearly as big as 3DS to PS4/XBO was.
They will be fine....at least development wise.

n1nt1nsu1t

Oct 29, 2017
Why port Resurrection to the switch when 3 is on the way? Bamco would rather port nothing at all
i guess, i just feel they would do like they did with Dark Souls and port a series that was never on Nintendo platform in general. They have to start somewhere, even if the new entry is coming out soon. In fact that could possibly help gauge the potential of GE3 on the Switch.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
One of last updates for New Gundam Breaker before its price falls below 2000 yen.

Currrently reached 75% off, last week the range at amazon was 60->70%

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i guess, i just feel they would do like they did with Dark Souls and port a series that was never on Nintendo platform in general. They have to start somewhere, even if the new entry is coming out soon. In fact that could possibly help gauge the potential of GE3 on the Switch.
Bamco wasnt responsible for porting Dark Souls, that was From's decision

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
The title YSO predictions undersestimate for next week might not be Octopath Traveler but Captain Toad.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The title YSO predictions undersestimate for next week might not be Octopath Traveler but Captain Toad.

Do you think that Octopath might face some supply issues at launch ? I am asking because of this big retailer that ran out of outline stock yesterday.

Great for Captain Toad, it had excellent legs on the WiiU so it bodes very well for the title and the series in general.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think that Octopath might face some supply issues at launch ? I am asking because of this big retailer that ran out of outline stock yesterday.
A single retailer chain covering online preorders a week before release will have as much impact as PS4 having tight supply for a few weeks after Monster Hunter launch.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
A single retailer chain covering online preorders a week before release will have as much impact as PS4 having tight supply for a few weeks after Monster Hunter launch.

You can't buy a PS4 digitally tho.

Plus it is a JRPG without any ongoing support, lost sales at launch might not be recovered because of the 2nd hand market.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
GEO Ranking Preorders

company06.jpg

~ 1.200 stores

About ranking:
- N is the title that was not ranked in within last ranking
- Games close to release date and games for which reservation reception has ended in Geo are not published in the ranking
- The ranking of the title is ranking by the total number including other models and bonus version
- Hardware order of multi titles is in order of hardware release date

01/01 [PS4] Winning Eleven 2019 - August 30
02/02 [PS4] Spider-Man - September 07
03/04 [NSW] Taiko Drum Master: Nintendo Switch Version! - July 19
04/05 [NSW] Pro Yakyuu Famista Evolution - August 02
05/06 [NSW] SaGa : Scarlet Grace - Hiiro no Yabô - August 02
05/06 [PS4] SaGa : Scarlet Grace - Hiiro no Yabô - August 02
06/07 [PS4] Red Dead Redemption 2 - October 26
07/ N [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 - October 12
08/08 [NSW] Warriors Orochi 3 - September 27
08/08 [PS4] Warriors Orochi 3 - September 27
09/09 [NSW] Super Mario Party - October 05
10/29 [PS4] Yakuza 3 - August 09
11/ R. [NSW] NBA 2K19 - September 11
11/ R. [PS4] NBA 2K19 - September 11
12/10 [PS4] Kingdom Hearts III - January 25
13/19 [3DS] Etrian Odyssey X - August 02
14/11 [PS4] Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker - August 30
15/20 [3DS] WarioWare Gold - August 02
16/12 [PS4] Conan Outcasts - August 23
17/32 [NSW] Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and The Millionaires' Conspiracy DX - August 09
18/13 [PS4] Friday The 13th: The Game - August 02
19/16 [NSW] Rockman X Anniversary Collection 1 + 2 - July 26
19/16 [PS4] Rockman X Anniversary Collection 1 + 2 - July 26
20/17 [NSW] Dragon Quest X All in One Package - July 26
20/17 [PS4] Dragon Quest X All in One Package - July 26
20/17 [WIU] Dragon Quest X All in One Package - July 26
21/18 [NSW] Makai Senki Disgaea Refine (limited edition) - July 26
21/18 [PS4] Makai Senki Disgaea Refine (limited edition) - July 26
22/31 [PS4] Bullet Girls Phantasia - August 09
22/31 [PSV] Bullet Girls Phantasia - August 09
23/33 [PS4] Fire Pro Wrestling World - August 09
24/36 [NSW] Okami HD - August 09
25/21 [NSW] LEGO: The Incredibles - August 02
25/21 [PS4] LEGO: The Incredibles - August 02
26/22 [PS4] Battlefield 5 - October 19
27/23 [NSW] FIFA 19 - September 28
27/23 [PS4] FIFA 19 - September 28
28/24 [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV: The End of Saga - September 27
29/25 [PS4] Code Vein - September 27
30/27 [PS4] Disaster Report 4 Plus: Summer Memories - October 25
31/28 [PS4] Utawarerumono Zan - September 27
32/26 [PS4] Anthem - February 22
33/39 [PS4] Shadow of the Tomb Raider - September 14
34/30 [NSW] My Hero Academia: One's Justice - August 23
34/30 [PS4] My Hero Academia: One's Justice - August 23
35/35 [NSW] STEINS; GATE ELITE - September 20
35/35 [PS4] STEINS; GATE ELITE - September 20
35/35 [PSV] STEINS; GATE ELITE - September 20
36/34 [NSW] Little Dragons Cafe - August 30
36/34 [PS4] Little Dragons Cafe - August 30
37/37 [NSW] SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy - September 06
37/37 [PS4] SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy - September 06
38/38 [PS4] ANUBIS ZONE OF THE ENDERS : M∀RS - September 06
39/ N [PS4] 428: Shibuya Scramble - September 06
40/39 [PS4] Soul Calibur VI - October 18

PS4: 33 (+2)
NSW: 17 (-1)
3DS: 2 (-1)
PSV: 2 (=)
WIU: 1 (=)

- Games close to release date and games for which reservation reception has ended in Geo are not published in the ranking:
03/02 [NSW] Octopath Traveler - July 13
14/14 [NSW] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - July 13
14/14 [3DS] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - July 13
15/15 [PS4] Mary Skelter 2 - July 12

Last edited:

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
So with the caveats that 1- this includes all retail releases, even ones that didn't chart on famitsu 1st week and 2- there will obviously be more 2018 announcements in the next few months, by my count Switch is up to 92 retail releases for 2018 from Japanese publishers (including games already released and those announced for 2018).

Again, I'll freely concede that its still lacking a lot of the major impact releases, but the volume for year 2 is pretty high.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
Switch physical games, Japan, Summer (49 games)
June 07: Little Nightmares
June 08: Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
June 14: GOD WARS: Great War of Japanese Mythology
June 21: The Misshitsu Kara no Dasshutsu: 35 Fateful Enigmas
June 21: THE Mahjong
June 21: Minecraft
June 22: Mario Tennis Ace
June 28: Ys VIII : Lacrimosa of Dana
June 28: Death Mark

July, 15 games
July 12: Shining Resonance Refrain
July 13: Octopath Traveler
July 13: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
July 19: Sonic Mania Plus
July 19: Taiko Drum Master: Nintendo Switch Version!
July 19: Closed Nightmare
July 19: 不思議の幻想郷TOD -RELOADED-
July 26: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou
July 26: Rockman X Anniversary Collection 1&2
July 26: Dragon Quest X All in One Package
July 26: Rocket League
July 26: Makai Senki Disgaea Refine
July 26: Waku Waku Doubutsu Land
July 26: Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai: Library Party
July 26: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

August, 15 games
August 02: SaGa : Scarlet Grace - Hiiro no Yabô
August 02: Code of Princess EX
August 02: Pro Yakyuu Famista Evolution
August 02: LEGO: The Incredibles
August 09: Okami HD
August 09: Waku Waku Sweets: Amai Okashi ga Dekiru kana?
August 09: Jake Hunter Detective Story: Prism of Eyes
August 09: Darkest Dungeon
August 09: Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires Conspiracy DX
August 23: My Hero Academia: One's Justice
August 30: Psyvariar Delta
August 30: Little Dragons Cafe
August 30: Tennis World Tour
August 30: Blade Strangers
August 30: World End Syndrome

September, 10 games

September 06: Hakuoki Shinkai: Fuukaden
September 06: SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy
September 11: NBA 2K19
September 13: Code: Realize ~Bouquet of Rainbows~
September 20: STEINS; GATE ELITE
September 20: ニル・アドミラリの天秤 色ドリ撫子 (Nil Admirari no Tenbin: Teito Genwaku Kitan)
September 20: Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland DX
September 20: Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland DX
September 20: Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland DX

September 21: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna: The Golden Country

Switch physical games, Japan, Fall (19 games)

September, 8 games
September 25/28: FIFA 19
September 27: Dragon Ball FighterZ
September 27: Warriors Orochi 3
September 27: The World Ends with You: Final Remix
September 27: NORN9 LOFN
September 27: Labyrinth of Refrain : Coven of Dusk
September 27: Valkyria Chronicles 4
September 27: MotoGP 18

October, 7 games
October 04: WORK × WORK
October 04: Sumikko Gurashu: Atsumare! Sumikko Town
October 04: Rockman 11: Gear of Destiny!!
October 05: Super Mario Party
October 25: Beyblade Burst: Battle Zero
October 25: Nora to Oujo to Noraneko Heart HD Version
October 25: Yomawari: The Long Night Collection

November, 3 games
November 01: Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists

November 16: Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu
November 16: Pokémon Let's Go, Eevee

December, 1 game
December 07: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Switch physical games, Japan, Winter (1 game)

February 28: Darius: Cozmic Collection

Last edited:

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
I love that the PR for the Work x Work delay doesn't even mention the usual "quality reasons". Just "various circumstances". Don't even want to admit they're avoiding Death Day, September Edition ;)

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I love that the PR for the Work x Work delay doesn't even mention the usual "quality reasons". Just "various circumstances". Don't even want to admit they're avoiding Death Day, September Edition ;)
Yeah, I saw that note. I can even imagine their face when looking at the release schedule "What the heck....?", then make the switch. Pun intended.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
The snarky evil part of me is enjoying people on the stock thread "this is a disguised switch port begging" or "you think you are cleaver for making this thread after complaining in the Nintendo one"

For most of the thread it has gonne the way i expected to be fair

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Creating a thread in bad faith, history of platform wars
They are right about the second part though lol
Lol, nah, stock threads are cancer, I made for the the sake of comparing people reaction to stock drops from nintendo to any other company, so far, thread has delieverd as I expected

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
What was the novelty factor?

Being on PS4/XB1, as a full fledged console AAA title.

What investors are probably wondering about is if the Home Console audience will continue to buy MH at the same pace and same numbers as the 3DS audience has been, meaning multiple revisions of the same game, always releasing at full price every year.

Yes selling 8m copies once is great, but is it greater than selling 3 million copies every year for 3+ years, probably with a lower cost of production for the games.

MHW was a breakout hit, and its natural to wonder if Capcom can keep making breakout hits again and again.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
1 week delay for Work x Work is because Furyu thinks they can get more from potential buyers if they run away from end of September release rush.

It will likely be a small difference at sales but since the shipment will be sent to retailers before September 30 and quarter financials won't be affected it doesn't matter to try.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough. I just think novelty sounds more like a negative thing rather than something positive. Kinda like saying that Zelda: Breath of the Wild sold so well because of the novelty of being open world. But maybe that isnt the intention.

What investors are probably wondering about is if the Home Console audience will continue to buy MH at the same pace and same numbers as the 3DS audience has been, meaning multiple revisions of the same game, always releasing at full price every year.

Yes selling 8m copies once is great, but is it greater than selling 3 million copies every year for 3+ years, probably with a lower cost of production for the games.

MHW was a breakout hit, and its natural to wonder if Capcom can keep making breakout hits again and again.
I would say definitelly. Selling 8-10 million at ~$60 for one year is better than selling 3 million a year at ~$40. Now, i expect MHW2 to decline by several of millions, but it has a good margin to get down to 3 million a year. I cant see MH on consoles dropping down to being "irrelevant" in the upcoming years. Adding a Switch SKU might soften the decline as well. It shall be interesting to see how they manage to keep the release schedule though, if they have enough manpower to keep it a yearly franchise or not at this point in time.

I dont know about production costs. Depends on how many people who are working on it. Is there any info on this?

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Fair enough. I just think novelty sounds more like a negative thing rather than something positive. Kinda like saying that Zelda: Breath of the Wild sold so well because of the novelty of being open world. But maybe that isnt the intention.

I would say definitelly. Selling 8-10 million at ~$60 for one year is better than selling 3 million a year at ~$40. Now, i expect MHW2 to decline by several of millions, but it has a good margin to get down to 3 million a year. I cant see MH on consoles dropping down to being "irrelevant" in the upcoming years. Adding a Switch SKU might soften the decline as well. It shall be interesting to see how they manage to keep the release schedule though, if they have enough manpower to keep it a yearly franchise or not at this point in time.

I dont know about production costs. Depends on how many people who are working on it. Is there any info on this?

Production costs are 100% higher for basically any game on PS4 than for a game on 3DS.
Just think about the assets, which are made in 1080p and even 4k, compared to the 240p assets on 3DS.

From what we know MHW began development 3 years before the 2017 announcement, which means a devtime of 4 years in total, with an additional year of "brainstorming" that apparently led to targeting PS4/XB/PC.

8 Million at 60$ would have to offset the increased dev costs that HD development brings with it, while also having to pay for the monstrous(heh) marketing budget they spent(since remember that World got a worldwide marketing push, which the 3DS titles never got).

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Some retailers have already received flyers and posters for Pokemon and Smash. Apparently marketing push will start big from Friday. It's the first time out of system launches Nintendo will open preorders for 2 big games the same day and so soon before release.
___

Amazon.jp starts summer sales promotion at 12 July and ends at 16.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some retailers have already received flyers and posters for Pokemon and Smash. Apparently marketing push will start big from Friday. It's the first time out of system launches Nintendo will open preorders for 2 big games the same day and so soon before release.
___

Amazon.jp starts summer sales promotion at 12 July and ends at 16.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Captain Toad gonna have a 50k+ debut watch. It's a game that seems difficult to determine first week because it's demographic it's going for isn't gonna preorder it significantly.

I'm feeling confident it'll be the next Wii U game to do more than expectations.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Production costs are 100% higher for basically any game on PS4 than for a game on 3DS.
Just think about the assets, which are made in 1080p and even 4k, compared to the 240p assets on 3DS.

From what we know MHW began development 3 years before the 2017 announcement, which means a devtime of 4 years in total, with an additional year of "brainstorming" that apparently led to targeting PS4/XB/PC.

8 Million at 60$ would have to offset the increased dev costs that HD development brings with it, while also having to pay for the monstrous(heh) marketing budget they spent(since remember that World got a worldwide marketing push, which the 3DS titles never got).
Oh, sure, i dont doubt that its more expensive. I was wondering more about the size of the teams etc., because that is a big factor when it comes to costs. For example, 100 people working on a game regardless of the platform is still 100 people working. Depends on how much work that goes into each game. I think it would be interesting to compare the size of the teams if info is available on that. Sorry for not being more clear on that.

funtastrophe

Oct 25, 2017
Captain Toad gonna have a 50k+ debut watch. It's a game that seems difficult to determine first week because it's demographic it's going for isn't gonna preorder it significantly.

I'm feeling confident it'll be the next Wii U game to do more than expectations.

WII U Captain Toad held up pretty nicely initially due to being released in the holiday season:

WIU_CaptainToad.png

Are you suggesting that it'll debut at 78% or more above the Wii U version's first-week but then trail off, or do you think it will also have substantial legs? For kicks, I jumped through some hoops to throw together first-week comparisons of other years-later ports on Switch from Wii U (hopefully I didn't flip some of the numbers -- I kind of did it in a rush).

Mario Kart 8: 12% lower
Pokken Tournament: 23% lower
Minecraft: 173% higher
Hyrule Warriors: 64% lower
Tropical Freeze: 148% higher
LEGO City Undercover: 71% lower

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Oh, sure, i dont doubt that its more expensive. I was wondering more about the size of the teams etc., because that is a big factor when it comes to costs. For example, 100 people working on a game regardless of the platform is still 100 people working. Depends on how much work that goes into each game. I think it would be interesting to compare the size of the teams if info is available on that. Sorry for not being more clear on that.

The team sizes are not know as far as i know.

Only thing i could find is that apparently it took a team of 50-70 people 18 months just to test the seamless transition on the map.

Also keep in mind that team size is not the only factor in dev costs.
Time spent developing matters too, which is a big part of why MHW was most likely so expensive. 4 Years of devtime is a lot for a big team.
Beyond the costs of the devs, there are also other expensive things to keep in mind, such as the motion capture tech they used in MHW.

Funny Face

Dec 5, 2017
Do we have an idea what the Wii U version of Captain Toad sold (shipped) worldwide? The only number I'm seeing is from VGChartz which I believe it totally unreliable.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Since Nintendo ports it Captain Toad on Wii U must be million or very close to million seller worldwide.

Oct 25, 2017
Octopath Prediction
Printer Paper 8 X 11: 83,500

Felt it was going to have a hard time to 100K opening week before YSO predictions, will be happy to be proven wrong in my negative prediction.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
The team sizes are not know as far as i know.

Only thing i could find is that apparently it took a team of 50-70 people 18 months just to test the seamless transition on the map.

Also keep in mind that team size is not the only factor in dev costs.
Time spent developing matters too, which is a big part of why MHW was most likely so expensive. 4 Years of devtime is a lot for a big team.
Beyond the costs of the devs, there are also other expensive things to keep in mind, such as the motion capture tech they used in MHW.
I see. Would be interesting to know how many people worked on the different games. I guess they expanded with MHW at least.

Sure, in the end, its how many work hours in total that determine the final cost. So having more people working, and working more hours in total, that will definitelly be more expensive, indeed. I just mean that its technically possible to put aproximately the same work hours a year into a e.g 3DS game and a PS4 game. Depends on how much work they put into it. But again, i dont doubt that MHW was a more expensive game, just to point that out, no doubt. On this topic, i think its also an investment by Capcom for future titles. The team gets more experienced with working with HD assets, and they probably had to make the leap to HD some time anyway.

Last edited:

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Not just 3 million, 3 million+ plus an extra million from the west altho thats like every other year with lower costs