• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ideally nobody should care about how many copies OT sells at launch.

It will have legs and word of mouth will carry it. That happens a lot on Switch.
It's a JRPG. First week sales is absolutely important. And I have no faith in it having the kind of word of month that carries its leg in Japan. This games is not Xenoblade, nor Nier Automata.

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough. I just think novelty sounds more like a negative thing rather than something positive. Kinda like saying that Zelda: Breath of the Wild sold so well because of the novelty of being open world. But maybe that isnt the intention.

Nope, not nearly the same, test-account. The first Zelda was open world game. Furthermore, Zelda:Breath of the Wild isn't that is "open word" in just having a massive world but having a game where you can do just about anything in any order the player desiere. I could be wrong, I can't recall any console game that let the player rush the final boss after completing the tutorial area. Two, Nintendo's franchises aren't even remotely in the same place as Capcom's franchises currently are.

I would say definitelly. Selling 8-10 million at ~$60 for one year is better than selling 3 million a year at ~$40. Now, i expect MHW2 to decline by several of millions, but it has a good margin to get down to 3 million a year. I cant see MH on consoles dropping down to being "irrelevant" in the upcoming years. Adding a Switch SKU might soften the decline as well. It shall be interesting to see how they manage to keep the release schedule though, if they have enough manpower to keep it a yearly franchise or not at this point in time.

I dont know about production costs. Depends on how many people who are working on it. Is there any info on this?

At least in the U.S., Monster Hunter World have been on sale numerous times below the price point of $60 USD. I can imagine it was the same in other countries.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I think the Switch will be about flat this week but up next. There are likely some old-sckool fans who will jump in for Octopath.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I'm still surprised that the switch managed to somehow sell 50K this week after only being bumped to 48K with Mario tennis and minecraft. So I'm really not sure what to expect. The switch seems to be on an upswing at the moment but I'll play it safe and say it has a slight drop this week before going back above 50K next week.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, not nearly the same, test-account. The first Zelda was open world game. Furthermore, Zelda:Breath of the Wild isn't that is "open word" in just having a massive world but having a game where you can do just about anything in any order the player desiere. I could be wrong, I can't recall any console game that let the player rush the final boss after completing the tutorial area. Two, Nintendo's franchises aren't even remotely in the same place as Capcom's franchises currently are.
I think maybe you misunderstood my point. I wasnt comparing the two franchises up towards each other in that sense. I'm only making comparison to something being seen as a novelty factor. Pablo Mesa said that a bigger reason for why Monster Hunter World sold so well was because of the novelity factors of better graphics and Monster Hunter being on consoles. And that is something that will wear off until the next game, and then people wont be as excited for it. Just like we can say that Zelda: Breath of the Wild has a novelty factor of being open world, something that is a fresh take on the serie, and when the next Zelda game comes (which clearly will be open world as well), its not something as fresh anymore.

Its not that important to the point that the first Zelda game from the 80s is technically open world because this isnt what Zelda games are known for in more recent time. Nintendo changed the formula with Breath of the Wild and took Zelda in a new direction. In the same vein that the first Monster Hunter game was a console game with higher production value. Later on, MH games were mostly known for being a portable franchise, then Capcom made a console game again, which changed things up a bit. Many people had been waiting for this for years, so it was a new thing for the MH franchise again.

Yeah, think Breath of the Wild is one of the most open world game out there when it comes to freedom to what to do :)

EDIT: I rewrote my post to make it a bit shorter.

At least in the U.S., Monster Hunter World have been on sale numerous times below the price point of $60 USD. I can imagine it was the same in other countries.
Yep, thats true. The same goes for other Monster Hunter games as well, at least in the US.

Last edited:

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Some retailers have already received flyers and posters for Pokemon and Smash. Apparently marketing push will start big from Friday. It's the first time out of system launches Nintendo will open preorders for 2 big games the same day and so soon before release.
I feel so bad for retailers on Friday in Japan

Those two preorders, plus Octopath and Captain Toad and Splatoon amiibo

Also the new Pokémon movie's release day.

Everything is happening

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It helps by not releasing the game unfinished or unpolished

You're saying that Bamco isn't actually allocating "additional" time and resources to it?

tenor.gif

Jan 1, 2018
With switch sales growing every week since the week of May 7th's bottom at 31,720, and PS4 mostly staying level, I predict this week will be
NSW 51k
PS4 19k

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Last edited:

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Neither Captain Toad nor Octopath are gonna be massive megahit games anyway. It's a solid week for Switch, but don't expect anything crazy.
I mean, clearly Pokémon and Smash are the drivers of in-store madness, yeah, which is what Joe was referring to.

Edit: Just consider this:

Nintendo Life said:
Based on figures from Media Create and as reported by Siliconera, 260,000 copies of the two versions were reportedly pre-ordered in just two days; that's impressive by any marker.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
With Code Vein missing 2018 after other games like KH3. What games can push PS4 sales this year? Year on year decline has become even more likely. Ironically in a year that saw its most selling game with MHW. The nth CoD, nth Battlefield, ToV port and nth Yakuza? are the most notable games that come to mind without taking a closer look, a lineup which really is quite weak for Japan, when it comes to pushing hardware this year in its current point in its lifecycle.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
With Code Vein missing 2018 after other games like KH3. What games can push PS4 sales this year? Year on year decline has become even more likely. Ironically in a year that saw its most selling game with MHW. The nth CoD, nth Battlefield, ToV port and nth Yakuza? are the most notable games that come to mind without taking a closer look, a lineup which really is quite weak for Japan, when it comes to pushing hardware this year in its current point in its lifecycle.

Nothin.

Code Vein wasn't going to push hardware sales anyway.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Black Ops IIII, Cold Steel IV and Yakuza 3 remastered imo.