• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
I doubt it, most likely we will have one early September or late August at the earliest
I thought that thinking stemmed from expectation of when preorders for Pokémon and Smash were expected, now Chris is talking about preorders opening this week.
Edit: thought, thinking; expectation, expected, I could have probably phrased that better.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking Red Dead Redemption 2 could potentially be bigger than any of those, but I'm not sure how anticipated it is in Japan.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Thanks.

Might as well predict the Switch then.

~47k.

I'm gonna be conservative and say that lightning won't strike twice in a row. There's a chance it might drop to 45k as well.

Looking forward to getting reckt.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Thanks.

Might as well predict the Switch then.

~47k.

I'm gonna be conservative and say that lightning won't strike twice in a row. There's a chance it might drop to 45k as well.

Looking forward to getting reckt.
Lightning's struck 7 times in a row, actually:
KJ3b1wF.png

NSW had a fantastic June in Japan.

Q1 is up by 58.104 units, +12% (correct me if my math is off)

I think we'll see 51k, a notch up from the week before.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
The named games remind me of PS4s first years, when Western 3rd parties had basically a free path due to Japanese developers not beeing ready. Kind of a curios situation that a similar situation is happening in PS4s fith year this time due to games getting delayed.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
The named games remind me of PS4s first years, when Western 3rd parties had basically a free path due to Japanese developers not beeing ready. Kind of a curios situation that a similar situation is happening in PS4s fith year this time due to games getting delayed.

How this is different from pretty much any year? it has been like this since PS4 launched. Bigger Japanese games in Q1 and the usual western heavy hitters in holiday season. 2016 holiday season is pretty much sole exception with FF XV.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
How this is different from pretty much any year? it has been like this since PS4 launched. Bigger Japanese games in Q1 and the usual western heavy hitters in holiday season. 2016 holiday season is pretty much sole exception with FF XV.

A big part of the best selling Japanese games on PS4 released during Q3/Q4 (DQXI, Metal Gear Solid V, Persona 5, Yakuza 6 ...)

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
A big part of the best selling Japanese games on PS4 released during Q3/Q4 (DQXI, Metal Gear Solid V, Persona 5, Yakuza 6 ...)

Fuck. I guess my memory is starting to play tricks on me (alarming as I am only 26 lol). Still it has been pretty much one bigger japanese game per last half of the year outside of 2016. Last year was pretty damn dry too after DQXI.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
There's also "big" games that failed to perform. GT Sport being a good example.

After GT6 who really expected it to sell that well (in japan) ? In west GT6 had an excuse of generational transition and PS3 sw sales dropping off the cliff but in Japan PS3 still moved almost peak levels of sw in 2013 so GT6 bombing that way was pretty clear sign about the state of the franchise in Japan.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
Last week was pay day week, so I would say Switch will be a bit down, around 45k is my prediction. But in COMG it looked like it was up WoW (at least a lot of evergreens went up in sales), so maybe it does better.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017

I don't think it's a good idea to reduce the discussion to just two quarters. Last year for example PS4 had DQ11 in July and it would be silly to exclude important games just because it isn't a end of year holiday title. While games like Gran Turismo and Minna no Golf sold under expectations these games shouldn't be ignored, we also shouldn't act like there haven't been years with better lineup after the first quarter.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
After GT6 who really expected it to sell that well (in japan) ? In west GT6 had an excuse of generational transition and PS3 sw sales dropping off the cliff but in Japan PS3 still moved almost peak levels of sw in 2013 so GT6 bombing that way was pretty clear sign about the state of the franchise in Japan.
2nd GTs per platform are always a drop in Japan and GT6 was actually a less severe drop that GT2 or GT4 were. GT6 sort of sold as expected in Japan, it was the west where it truly bombed.

I don't think anyone expected GTS to do amazing but I also don't think most expected it to undersell even GT6 by 150k. How badly it did was definitely a bit surprising and beforehand it was also usually listed as a notable platform tentpole.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about H2 PS4 games, couldn't Spiderman be fairly big? Red Dead too, and of course CoD. Not sure if they're really system seller though.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
So the Switch might have a better 3rd party line-up than the PS4 for the rest of the year and significantly better if we only take into account JP publishers.

Funny when we think about some discussions earlier this year.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about H2 PS4 games, couldn't Spiderman be fairly big? Red Dead too, and of course CoD. Not sure if they're really system seller though.

No reason why these games - including Spiderman - wouldnt be relatively big ( for a western PS4 title).
They def. wont have much competition from jpn publishers looking at the release schedule.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
2nd GTs per platform are always a drop in Japan and GT6 was actually a less severe drop that GT2 or GT4 were. GT6 sort of sold as expected in Japan, it was the west where it truly bombed.

I don't think anyone expected GTS to do amazing but I also don't think most expected it to undersell even GT6 by 150k. How badly it did was definitely a bit surprising and beforehand it was also usually listed as a notable platform tentpole.

Unit wise drop was smaller between GT5 and 6 than with 3 and 4 but percentage wise far bigger. Also GT5 already sold way less than GT4 so for me it wasn't that surprising that same trend continued with GT6 and Sport. Sim racers are simply dead in Japan and the little GT still sells is on the back of remaining brand power.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Last week was pay day week, so I would say Switch will be a bit down, around 45k is my prediction. But in COMG it looked like it was up WoW (at least a lot of evergreens went up in sales), so maybe it does better.

You are on a strange pay cycle. Most dispatch and baito employed people get paid on the 25th, and people with full time employment tend to get paid on the 15th. I get paid on the 15th, but since it is on a Sunday, I'm getting paid Friday. Just in time for Octopath (which I already paid for in advance)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Unit wise drop was smaller between GT5 and 6 than with 3 and 4 but percentage wise far bigger. Also GT5 already sold way less than GT4 so for me it wasn't that surprising that same trend continued with GT6 and Sport. Sim racers are simply dead in Japan and the little GT still sells is on the back of remaining brand power.
This doesn't really change anything I said though. People still expected GTS to be a notable PS4 title and only really discounted it afterward when it failed to do as much as expected. It doing bad wasn't a surprise, just how badly it did wasn't what the expectation was though.

Although like GT6 it's the game's western sales that are the bigger issue. I sort of wonder what the future holds for PD all things considered.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
You are on a strange pay cycle. Most dispatch and baito employed people get paid on the 25th, and people with full time employment tend to get paid on the 15th. I get paid on the 15th, but since it is on a Sunday, I'm getting paid Friday. Just in time for Octopath (which I already paid for in advance)

Haha I surely get paid here around the 28th but I'm in Spain so no idea really, sorry! :P I just remember hiska-kun sayin it was pay day week and I think also some kind of Summer bonus, so that's why I made the observation.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls too, though that's not exactly something that the PS4 didn't get this year.

But it's something to add to the big pile of games still to come to Switch this year.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Haha I surely get paid here around the 28th but I'm in Spain so no idea really, sorry! :P I just remember hiska-kun sayin it was pay day week and I think also some kind of Summer bonus, so that's why I made the observation.

No worries, thought you might be in Japan. Japan likes to pay on days ending in 5. It's weird. They also like to pay close to a month after you do the work. So your typical part timer will work say June 1st-30th, then the company calculates it all on July 15th, then they deposit it in your account or give you cash on the July 25th.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
We'll have a better idea after the Q3 Nintendo Direct. Bandai Namco might have one surprise or two for example.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I want next week sales for Octopath and beginning of August for Scarlet Grace...

That Gamescom is gonna be fun for the Switch also.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't really change anything I said though. People still expected GTS to be a notable PS4 title and only really discounted it afterward when it failed to do as much as expected. It doing bad wasn't a surprise, just how badly it did wasn't what the expectation was though.

Although like GT6 it's the game's western sales that are the bigger issue. I sort of wonder what the future holds for PD all things considered.
Do you remember what the average prediction was for GT Sports compared to what it did?

As for the next GT game, i expect them to go the more traditional route and call it GT7, with more focus on single player/offline content.