• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
It's not as clear-cut as you're arguing. First, many people might still buy Splatoon 2 without playing it online, especially young kids (which, I suspect, are the bulk of late sales); second, your data about NSO subscription are relative to all Switch owners rather than new Switch ones that are cumulating week after week--Splatoon 2 and other evergreen sales mostly come from new owners.

The presence of a correlation doesn't imply causation, especially because it is such a short term correlation. Indeed, I already proved that the launch of NSO happened along with the end of Splatoon 2 bundles and the end of Summer which likely impacted sales.

The fact that Splatoon 2 is selling around 5k units two years after release is nothing unexpected, rather it is an obvious result considering how much sales the game has cumulated. Smash is already selling less than Splatoon 2, launch aligned: because it has already achieved a critical sales mass. Two years from release Smash is going to sell less than how it's selling now.
There's no point with arguing with Zakatana about this. He'll just lie about the data, lie about his past claims, and lie about what others are saying and then accuse you of being the liar. He did this to me last time. He's already doing similar things in this thread.

Watch the video. Reggie is not only taken out of context, but misquoted, too. The context was a question whether Smash Bros was coming to Switch. It was very early in the system's life and Reggie was afffirming that they always plan to bring their main franchises to the system. It had nothing to do with sequels on the same platform. His actual quote is, "The philosophy that Nintendo has from a devlopement standpoint, is that for every platform, we want to have AT LEAST one of our classic franchises..." (emphasis added). He doesn't rule out sequels. In fact, the two series he specificially uses as examples, Mario and Zelda... even though he states each having "one great" experience... are both franchises that have frequently seen multiple sequels.

Even in this thread, those arguing "only one game a system" can't do it without making an exemption. For every franchise that only sees one game per system, there are just as many franchises that see multiple games. We don't know which category Nintendo views Splatoon in, but (in my opinion) there's better evidence that there will be a sequel.

Like?

Zelda?
Mario Kart?
Kirby?
Super Mario Party?
1-2 Switch?
Super Mario Odyssey?
Mario Tennis?
Pokemon?

Only ones that deviate a bit are titles with relatively great sales for the title/ip, but not in the absolute term, i.e. less than 3M worldwide)

So Xenoblade, Mario+Rabbids, maybe Yoshi and if you really want to push it DKC:TF

...btw MM2 sold 80k more than MM3DS without even counting digital which had the 2games voucher offer and the 3000¥voucher bundle pushing it together with a much bigger adoption rate for digital purchases for Switch compared to the 3DS' (and WiiU) ecosystem.
This is a repeat of silly argument from the past thread and an example to how charts with no numbers are screwing up the conversation. Japanese sales for the MM series were already great, making up 1/3 of it total sales. Growth from "great" can only be better. Western sales for the series were relatively weak. Growth from weak sales should be expected and doesn't indicate greatness. FW sales in Japan were about 6 times more than FW sales in the UK... but UK sales are said to be great, while Japan sales are only good. It doesn't make sense.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watch the video. Reggie is not only taken out of context, but misquoted, too. The context was a question whether Smash Bros was coming to Switch. It was very early in the system's life and Reggie was afffirming that they always plan to bring their main franchises to the system. It had nothing to do with sequels on the same platform. His actual quote is, "The philosophy that Nintendo has from a devlopement standpoint, is that for every platform, we want to have AT LEAST one of our classic franchises..." (emphasis added). He doesn't rule out sequels. In fact, the two series he specificially uses as examples, Mario and Zelda... even though he states each having "one great" experience... are both franchises that have frequently seen multiple sequels.

Even in this thread, those arguing "only one game a system" can't do it without making an exemption. For every franchise that only sees one game per system, there are just as many franchises that see multiple games. We don't know which category Nintendo views Splatoon in, but (in my opinion) there's better evidence that there will be a sequel.

I've watched the video when it released. I'm the one who made the summary on the article. I didn't imply that franchises can't get multiple entries on the same system, as that's obviously not the case as proven by Zelda or Mario depending on the system. There's however a logic for each of those games, as well as time matters. Zelda BOTW is getting a sequel in late 2020 at the earliest, which is three years after support on Zelda BOTW ended (second DLC released). By late 2020 and after a run of over three years on the market, sales of Zelda BOTW will be low enough so that releasing a new game doesn't cannibalize pointlessly potential sales. It'll be the same for the inevitable second 3D Mario the Switch will get.

It's part of the same argument why it's unlikely that another Mario Kart will release on Switch as long as MK8D sells as much as it does. Splatoon 2 will end its free support in July 2019. If we were to apply the same delay between multiple entries on the same system as usual, we're looking at summer/late 2022 at best. But on top of that, Splatoon is hardly on the same spot as Zelda since it's a multiplayer game that doesn't immediately die out once you've seen all the content. It'll keep selling over the years, just like Mario Kart does.

There's in my opinion nothing that indicates that Splatoon 3 will release next year or anytime soon. It's even debatable if it'll be on Switch at all.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Speaking of Splatoon 2, which has been destroyed by Nintendo Switch Online™️, seems like it's getting one final promotional push with the final Splatfest.

Was featured during Nintendo's e3 tournaments and is even getting a Tetris 99 crossover.
Not sure if that'll showcase in a final boost this month.

Narratively it's clearly setting something up.
That the next story content is set in a world split in a world of chaos and a world of order (kind of like Splatoon 1 set up Callie and Marie in the sequel)
I'm sticking to my Splattershots here, pretty sure this is all leading up to Splatoon 3 to be released 2020.

Don't think there's much they can/will do to turf war, but I imagine they'll add a new mode along with a new campaign.

So, what do we expect the Splatoon team to try out?
Or in other words, what do we think would help improve Splatoon's reach?
Salmon Run, Splatoon's take on hoard mode, was the main new addition to Splatoon 2.
Don't think people care too much about hoard mode now a days, what's popular now is:
  • Battle Royal - it's really popular but also really crowded. Worked out for CoD, issue would be if switch could handle it.
  • Cooperative Hunting - might require all the efforts of single player content but it would likely work and be pretty popular if done right.
  • Hero Shooter - seems like these aren't as popular anymore, but Nintendo's always a bit behind.
Or they might wait for one of these on Splatoon 4 on switch 2, or whatever.

A release next year would benefit from one or two new models combined with a price drop to bring in a whole new market as well as a more established NSO userbase. New hardware can enhance the game, perhaps enabling voice chat more easily out the box.

They have a lot of assets and an engine they can use which might not transition well towards a next gen switch 3-4 years from now, so it would be a smart/efficient use of resources. If it's out next year it'll give Splatoon 3 a similar life to Splatoon 1 and 2 while they prepare for the next gen Splatoon 4.

I guess the issue with including a hunter or a battle royal mode is the amount of work required for such a mode, perhaps in place of a single player campaign like CoD?
Both would require a large-ish map which the engine might not be suited for.
Battle royal with paint would likely be a nightmare with at least 30 different colors unless it's divided in squid squads. Maybe using a water gun for solo?

Cooperative Hunting mode would probably take the place of both single player and salmon run.
You already fight tough enemies together in salmon run so expanding on that concept should work.

As for the story, I don't think the results of the final Splatfest will matter too much. They likely already have the idea in the works and wouldn't let something as volatile as Splatfests ruin it.
Kind of like them knowing that Marie was more popular than Callie so they wouldn't have had them switch places in case Callie came out on top due to wins. (Or they might rig it, dunno)

I already patented Splatoon 3 for 2020 since more than a year now. And yes, I still agree it'll happen.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Just asking, couldn't be the Splatoon new story just be a new paid DLC?

The dlc was great but did nothing for the sales of the base game.
My guess, dating from April last year and based on fact that updates were stopping in December, was that they started working on splatoon 3 around April-May 2018, for a tentative release in 2020. 2021 is the farthest I it happening.
Moreover, at that time I also said that a switch pro would release in 2020, and would need a strong software push; Splatoon, zelda, Mario and Mario kart 9 are exactly the games I expected to release within the first year of that new hardware, that is during the year 2020-2021. I still believe that.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
I've watched the video when it released. I'm the one who made the summary on the article. I didn't imply that franchises can't get multiple entries on the same system, as that's obviously not the case as proven by Zelda or Mario depending on the system. There's however a logic for each of those games, as well as time matters. Zelda BOTW is getting a sequel in late 2020 at the earliest, which is three years after support on Zelda BOTW ended (second DLC released). By late 2020 and after a run of over three years on the market, sales of Zelda BOTW will be low enough so that releasing a new game doesn't cannibalize pointlessly potential sales. It'll be the same for the inevitable second 3D Mario the Switch will get.

It's part of the same argument why it's unlikely that another Mario Kart will release on Switch as long as MK8D sells as much as it does. Splatoon 2 will end its free support in July 2019. If we were to apply the same delay between multiple entries on the same system as usual, we're looking at summer/late 2022 at best. But on top of that, Splatoon is hardly on the same spot as Zelda since it's a multiplayer game that doesn't immediately die out once you've seen all the content. It'll keep selling over the years, just like Mario Kart does.

There's in my opinion nothing that indicates that Splatoon 3 will release next year or anytime soon. It's even debatable if it'll be on Switch at all.
If you knew Reggie wasn't claiming a one game rule, then why did you bring up that article and then quote it like Reggie did cite the rule?

Also, how are BotW's sales low enough to not cannibalise sales (but Splatoon 2's are not) when it has been selling comparable to Splatoon in Japan recently and better than it worldwide. The two games are literally next to each other in this week's chart, and their positions reversed from last week. BotW has shipped 4 million more units worldwide than Splatoon 2, having shipped 660k more than it in the last reported quarter.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon 3 so soon would feel like such a waste of resources for Nintendo when 2 is still very active. And careful not to milk that franchise too quickly. If the sequel is as iterative as 2 was, I don't think it'll go over that well.

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that "so soon" and "it's still selling" are referring to a game that's speculated to be over a year away at the very least.
It's still selling, and it'll continue to do so for another year+. But support has been cut and won't sell as well as a new release would.

Just a bit weird to see people go "this franchise sell too well, don't release a timely sequel"

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
That April Fools Joke / concept that Mike Inel did once for Splatoon Island (don't search by it's name unless you want to be outraged) for Android and iOS could be fun and carry the Splatoon momentum until the next main game.

Or Nintendo could just make a dancing/singing spin off for Switch and tries to match the audience there. That's because I can't see a new Splatoon game in the next three years or so.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that "so soon" and "it's still selling" are referring to a game that's speculated to be over a year away at the very least.
It's still selling, and it'll continue to do so for another year+. But support has been cut and won't sell as well as a new release would.

Just a bit weird to see people go "this franchise sell too well, don't release a timely sequel"
I'm already not happy that they cut the support. It's insane to me to have a game so succesful and just planning on day 1 to stop after two years. Thank god other companies don't think that way.

The thing is, Nintendo's internal resources already feel stretched as it is. EPD's output is at a record low and to think that so much of these precious (human) resources will go to a quick and iterative sequel is annoying. I think they could get away with it with Splatoon 2 because of the Wii U, but I was really hoping for a substantial sequel at the beginning of next gen.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm already not happy that they cut the support. It's insane to me to have a game so succesful and just planning on day 1 to stop after two years. Thank god other companies don't think that way.

The thing is, Nintendo's internal resources already feel stretched as it is. EPD's output is at a record low and to think that so much of these precious (human) resources will go to a quick and iterative sequel is annoying. I think they could get away with it with Splatoon 2 because of the Wii U, but I was really hoping for a substantial sequel at the beginning of next gen.
Outside of Octoexpansion, all Splatoon 2 content is free with no other way to monetize the game. They could maybe change things up with like a battlepass or something,

As for EPD, they blew their load on Switch's first year. MK8D, BOTW+DLC, Mario Odyssey, ARMS, and Splatoon 2. It's a lot of content and probably meant all of their teams wouldn't have something to show for the next few years, but 2020 should be when we start seeing the second wave of EPD games. BOTW2 is already announced, probably between 2020 and 2021. 3D Mario Team is probably pretty far into whatever project they're working on. Mario Kart team hasn't put out anything since ARMS which had very little post release support.

So, anyways, if they release Splatoon 3 next year that'll probably give them like 3 years for the next Splatoon game on the Switch successor which is probably enough.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
44./85. [NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit (Nintendo) {2018.04.20} - 820 / 258,186

Why did it get a bump? Did anything notable happen or was it just random?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Having no ways to monetize more the game makes the Splatoon 2 support logical. If it had had MTX or lootboxes they would have supported it more time

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
The playerbase of Splatoon still remained active after the Splatfest ended, hell the playerbase of the first game still was fairly active after the second game came out.

It feels like a segment of ERA wants Splatoon to be getting continous content. I wonder if they would be ok with Splatoon having lootboxes?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like people forgot that multiplayer games carried on for years without gaas for years, especially Nintendo games before the beginning of this gen and late last gen, you can get on splatoon 1 right now and find games

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I like it when Nintendo only makes 1 game in a franchise for an entire generation, Splatoon 3 as a year 1 game for the switch successor would be perfect for me, Splatoon 2 is already loaded with content even without new updates.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
The playerbase of Splatoon still remained active after the Splatfest ended, hell the playerbase of the first game still was fairly active after the second game came out.

black ops 2 still has tons of players online, that doesn't mean there's an actual playerbase. majority of people move on pretty quickly into the next thing. they can't wait 6-7 years for the new game.

I like it when Nintendo only makes 1 game in a franchise for an entire generation, Splatoon 3 as a year 1 game for the switch successor would be perfect for me, Splatoon 2 is already loaded with content even without new updates.

splatoon 3 will be out by 2020 if you ask me.

Oct 25, 2017
But when do they do that?
Animal Crossing, maybe? Probably had to cancel the Wii U One with amiibo festival and welcome amiibo/happy home designer taking its place.

Feel free to skip if you personally don't want it.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
black ops 2 still has tons of players online, that doesn't mean there's an actual playerbase. majority of people move on pretty quickly into the next thing. they can't wait 6-7 years for the new game.

splatoon 3 will be out by 2020 if you ask me.
That is a oxymoron if i ever seen one, majority of people dont always stick around regardless if theres gaas or not, hell sakurai mentioned this exact thing when talking about DLC for smash

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

People have been using this to claim that Switch wont get a Mario Kart game too. I have no idea where it comes from. Like it was just made up on the spot for this specific generation. I thought people dropped it though, when the Zelda sequel announcement happened while its literally still on the charts.

But I guess people do like they always do, dismiss anything that disagrees with their prediction and hold steady anyway. Im still holding that I think we get a late gen MK for the Switch sometime after the new hardware models are available in a year or two.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
...basic reading of the market ?

Why put the funds to develop & release a new entry if the previous game is still selling truckloads at full price ? This has been Nintendo's motto since decades. And of many publishers.

Because games doing well today wont always continue selling excellently in the future? And because maybe you are reading far to much into using the word "truckloads" for games that are moving 5-8k a week in freaking Japan perhaps? I laugh at this notion as there are countless examples of games having long tails and still getting sequels despite it. Some of you all confuse "What you would do" in that situation with what these companies are going to do.

Like I said, last time we had this conversation on this forum I was told no chance neither MK or Zelda got a sequel, and now ones on the way. And everyone that claimed it wouldnt because of "basic reading of the market" is nowhere to be found. And the first Zelda is still charting post announcement.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
So, why is there such a big discrepancy between Mario Maker 2's numbers in the trackers? Is it because one counts Amazon, another doesn't, or one includes digital/download cards and another doesn't?

That April Fools Joke / concept that Mike Inel did once for Splatoon Island (don't search by it's name unless you want to be outraged) for Android and iOS could be fun and carry the Splatoon momentum until the next main game.

Or Nintendo could just make a dancing/singing spin off for Switch and tries to match the audience there. That's because I can't see a new Splatoon game in the next three years or so.

I definitely think that Splatoon is due for a spin-off. The series is certainly big enough for it, and there's a lot of potential genres for it to Branch out into.

Just imagine a Splatoon themed Style Savvy game!

Oct 25, 2017
People have been using this to claim that Switch wont get a Mario Kart game too. I have no idea where it comes from. Like it was just made up on the spot for this specific generation. I thought people dropped it though, when the Zelda sequel announcement happened while its literally still on the charts.

But I guess people do like they always do, dismiss anything that disagrees with their prediction and hold steady anyway. Im still holding that I think we get a late gen MK for the Switch sometime after the new hardware models are available in a year or two.
Yeah, Mario kart is another one where people get weirdly aggressive about the thought of a MK9 on switch.
Theyre probably due for a game by mid 2021 at the latest, be it arms 2 or MK9

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I definitely think that Splatoon is due for a spin-off. The series is certainly big enough for it, and there's a lot of potential genres for it to Branch out into.

Just imagine a Splatoon themed Style Savvy game!
Yeah a full waifu game, music or dance games, and a single playr spinoff where you actually play as the idols. So many possibilities.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So what will happen if a splatoon 3 or MK9 doesn't come out in 2020 or 2021, y'all gonna extend it?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
So what will happen if a splatoon 3 or MK9 doesn't come out in 2020 or 2021, y'all gonna extend it?

I haven't looked into Splatoon. But for me, I always predicted a mainline mario kart for this generation. So....as long as the Switch doesn't have a successor is how much time Nintendo has to get one out.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
There were people claiming there wouldn't be another Zelda for Switch? Why? It's a story driven game, Nintendo releases multiple story driven games in a series on a single console. They don't release multiplayer focused games more than once per console, except for Mario Party. But I'm sure that's only because people break their copies out of frustration.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Wouldn't the shortages and bad mini/pro release schedule timing sabotage the summer games coming out? Fire Emblem, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Astral Chain? Hard to build up momentum of your platform if you cut it off at its knees yourself. They'd be better off releasing the pro version in late August just in time for Astral Chain to be the premiere graphical showcase for the console instead of leaving it behind for all the September games like DQ11, Links Awakening, Daemon X Machina, Etc

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Wouldn't the shortages and bad mini/pro release schedule timing sabotage the summer games coming out? Fire Emblem, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Astral Chain? Hard to build up momentum of your platform if you cut it off at its knees yourself. They'd be better off releasing the pro version in late August just in time for Astral Chain to be the premiere graphical showcase for the console instead of leaving it behind for all the September games like DQ11, Links Awakening, Daemon X Machina, Etc
Yeah that's what I've been thinking. So much seeming running down of stock worldwide which could harm the game push coming.

Maybe it's all caused by the manufacturing diversity plan due to tariffs etc?

There were people claiming there wouldn't be another Zelda for Switch? Why? It's a story driven game, Nintendo releases multiple story driven games in a series on a single console. They don't release multiplayer focused games more than once per console, except for Mario Party. But I'm sure that's only because people break their copies out of frustration.
So they don't release multiplayer focused games more than once per console, except for when they do. See also Wii Sports Resort.

Arms could get a sequel too and nobody would blink, and it's multiplayer focused.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's what I've been thinking. So much seeming running down of stock worldwide which could harm the game push coming.

Maybe it's all caused by the manufacturing diversity plan due to tariffs etc?

So they don't release multiplayer focused games more than once per console, except for when they do. See also Wii Sports Resort.

Arms could get a sequel too and nobody would blink, and it's multiplayer focused.
Wii sports can be easily explained by the 1st one being a literal demo and the second one being an actual game.
ARMS, who knows, its more a tradtional-esque 3D fighter, as in not traditional at all but its appeal isnt indicative of the type of multiplayer game that MK, smash and splatoon is.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil

Zelda broke a lot of conventions of their traditional approach with Breath of the Wild, but I didn't though that they would make a direct sequel. I was expecting something else for Switch, like maybe a game passing in another era, where the Triforce would be the main focus again. But looking how Breath of the Wild is, and looking back at Majora's Mask, a sequel feels "natural", if we put all the scrapped ideas again on the table.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think everyone was predicting or atleast hoping there was gonna be a BOTW sequel, because they spent like 5 years making the engine and assets. If there was one game to majoras mask, it was this one

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
First Day Sell-through {2019.07.04}

[NSW] [PS4] Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.800) - 30%

[PS4] Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥4.200) - 60%

[NSW] [PS4] PixArk <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥5.500) - 20%

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Nintendo tends to avoid making games that replace previous entries on the same console. Since a large number of Wii players got Wii Sports for free, there wasn't much harm releasing a sequel, even taking this into consideratio Wii Sports resort only shares 2 games with the original, minimizing overlap.

Are there any clear examples of Nintendo making games that replace the previous entry on the same console? I can't think of any.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
So, what do we expect the Splatoon team to try out?
Or in other words, what do we think would help improve Splatoon's reach?
Salmon Run, Splatoon's take on hoard mode, was the main new addition to Splatoon 2.
Don't think people care too much about hoard mode now a days, what's popular now is:
  • Battle Royal - it's really popular but also really crowded. Worked out for CoD, issue would be if switch could handle it.
  • Cooperative Hunting - might require all the efforts of single player content but it would likely work and be pretty popular if done right.
  • Hero Shooter - seems like these aren't as popular anymore, but Nintendo's always a bit behind.

• 2D turn based Splatoon for Japan
  • 3D Open World Splatoon with big monsters to hunt for the West

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Wii sports can be easily explained by the 1st one being a literal demo and the second one being an actual game.
ARMS, who knows, its more a tradtional-esque 3D fighter, as in not traditional at all but its appeal isnt indicative of the type of multiplayer game that MK, smash and splatoon is.
Wii Sports is not a demo, WTF is that.

Anything can happen. The 'rules' are not real.

N64 and Gamecube only got one main Mario platformer each. It was the 'rule' at that point, home consoles get one main Mario game, handhelds get ports and spinoffs. Then DS got an original 2D game, and Wii got two 3D games and a 2D one. 3DS got an original 3D game by the main team, and Wii U got a new 2D game and a multiplayer sequel to the 3DS game.

Every console got a new Mario Kart from SNES onward. Except the Game Boy/GBC. And we're in year 3 of the Switch and it hasn't gotten one, it got a port, which is the first time for that too.

N64 got two Zeldas, Gamecube got three Zeldas, Wii got one and a Gamecube port, Wii U got one (shared with Switch) and two remakes, 3DS got one and two remakes, Switch got a Wii U port, a GB remake coming and has a second main one coming.

Every console got a new Animal Crossing from N64 onward (although Gamecube was an N64 port)... except GBC, GBA... Until the Wii U.

Every Nintendo console got a Metroid. Until N64/GBC got none. Gamecube then got two 3D Metroids, GBA got two 2D Metroids. DS got no 2D game but got a spinoff of the 3D series. Wii got one 3D Metroid and a hybrid 2D/3D one, 3DS got a 2D Metroid and a 3D multiplayer spinoff, Wii U got no Metroids.

Every Nintendo console from SNES onward got an F-zero - SNES, GBA, N64, Gamecube. Then none did.

These 'rules' are nothing of the sort, they're vague trends and almost all have major exceptions.

Last edited:

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
A majority of the Wii Sports copies were given away for free. Not a demo, but they weren't concerned about loosing sales of a game most regions weren't selling.

Oct 25, 2017
Thought it would've been smart for a late June release since it would avoid such a scenario.
But I guess they had other plans.

Late August/early September launch works too, I guess. Nothing between the end of July and the very end of August which should give them time to finish off stock and announce these things