• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea the new Smash was called "Special" in Japan. o_o

DiCqR4_U8AAZRll.jpg

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Eighty hours? I thought it was closer to 40 hours.

60 hours would be a quicker playthrough based on what I've seen in the preview threads. It's got a lot of content to it... based on the OT normal times are probably closer to 80 hours (people generally seem to be taking 20 hours for each of the four chapters), with some people tracking even slower, more towards 100 hours.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Right, haha. I'm really interested to see the numbers on Wednesday so we get a better idea of the shipment and sell-through. I feel like a lot of people underestimated the game since it seems to be selling out worldwide, and not just in Japan.
It definitelly seems to be stronger demand that first expected indeed. I expect 100k+ in Japan the first week. I'm more curious to see the western sales (we know about 11k-12k (i think) for the UK so far)).

60 hours would be a quicker playthrough based on what I've seen in the preview threads. It's got a lot of content to it... based on the OT normal times are probably closer to 80 hours (people generally seem to be taking 20 hours for each of the four chapters), with some people tracking even slower, more towards 100 hours.
How does the extra content work in this game? I mean, do you have to start a new game to do the extra content, or can you go back and finish the side quests(?) after beating the game?

Ultimate sucks as a subtitle. Makes me think I am buying shaving accessories.
Well, the game seems to be razor sharp with content at least hehe ;)

Always "answering" with these useless questions. To make a different example, price drops aren't a new concept either, but competitors can react to pricedrops with their own pricedrops.
Did you have a follow up reply to this? If you have any issue with me asking questions sometimes, and maybe feel that i'm critizing you because of that, then please let me know instead, either in these threads or send me a PM. I dont think theres any need to call questions for useless, that feels rude to me. Its better if you let me know instead because i dont wish to fight with anyone. I want to have a good tone with people even if might ask questions sometimes that might seem though to answer. I just wanted to say that. Thanks :)

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Wolf 2 is undecided, too. It sold very badly in the UK, but then in Spain it sold more than half of what the PS4 version sold in 3 weeks, and double of XB1 version in 3 weeks. My bet is he's using UK to extrapolate worldwide performance again, despite ample evidence that the UK market is an outlier for Switch.

Wait a minute, I know this is off topic but this is the first I've heard of these Spain numbers. Is that saying more than half of PS4s lifetime sales in 3 weeks or more than half of the first 3 weeks' sales?

Also, what's the source on that?

I'm very interested in how Wolf 2 is doing, it seems to be doing surprisingly well on the US eShop at least.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Wait a minute, I know this is off topic but this is the first I've heard of these Spain numbers. Is that saying more than half of PS4s lifetime sales in 3 weeks or more than half of the first 3 weeks' sales?

I'm very interested in how Wolf 2 is doing, it seems to be doing surprisingly well on the US eShop at least.
I have no idea what the PS4 and Xbox One version of Wolfenstein 2 sold, but one guy in the PAL charts last week posted the spanish numbers for Wolfenstein 2 in its first week:

XX (NE) NSW Wolfestein 2: The New Colossus - 1,600 / NEW

https://www.resetera.com/posts/10190295

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Stock issues are lost sales only if the game was bad to the point where its word of mouth would die after two weeks. It's not the case for Octopath, so it's merely delayed sales.

Stock issues absolutely have the potential to cause lost sales.

In my experience living in Japan, if people want the game and can't find a new copy, most have no qualms with buying used. Even if it is almost the same price. It helps that many used copies are in immaculate condition.

But so far, at least in my town, used copies are also not plentiful.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Did you have a follow up reply to this? If you have any issue with me asking questions sometimes, and maybe feel that i'm critizing you because of that, then please let me know instead, either in these threads or send me a PM. I dont think theres any need to call questions for useless, that feels rude to me. Its better if you let me know instead because i dont wish to fight with anyone. I want to have a good tone with people even if might ask questions sometimes that might seem though to answer. I just wanted to say that. Thanks :)

Your posts are appreciated, keep doing your thang man. Dude was just being obnoxious and you should ignore him.

Stock issues are lost sales only if the game was bad to the point where its word of mouth would die after two weeks. It's not the case for Octopath, so it's merely delayed sales.

This isn't true. It's a well known that RPGs don't have much time to get the bulk of their sales before the used copies hit the market.

How does the extra content work in this game? I mean, do you have to start a new game to do the extra content, or can you go back and finish the side quests(?) after beating the game?

You go back and finish up side quests. The average length would be 40-60 hours. To do everything would float you closer to 80 hours

Last edited:

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Y

This isn't true. It's a well known that RPGs don't have much time to get the bulk of their sales before the used copies hit the market.

Games with a large appeal don't have any problem selling new copies as the word of mouth will be large enough to not let the second hand market gain the upper hand. Games with limited appeal and rather small word of mouth are affected by the second hand market the most. Usually this is the case with a lot of RPG releases in Japan. Octopath Traveler may have a larger appeal than a lot of other RPG's so it really isn't clear if the second hand market will kill the sales of this game.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Half of the first 3 weeks of PS4 performance in 1 week for Switch version.

Source:
Spain:
Week 26, 2018 - All Formats (Units)

01 (NE) NSW Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy - 9,300 / NEW
02 (01) NSW Mario Tennis Aces - 8,300 / 23,300
03 (02) PS4 FIFA 18 - 5,800 / 705,000
04 (NE) PS4 The Crew 2 - 4,300 / NEW
05 (05) NSW Super Mario Odyssey - 4,200 / 270,000

XX (NE) NSW Wolfestein 2: The New Colossus - 1,600 / NEW
XX (NE) PS4 MXGP Pro - 350 / NEW

Looks like the Vandal guy will share Spanish numbers on the website some summer weeks, even without podcast.
Hobby Consolas published its cumulative sales after 3 weeks:

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (ALL) - 4,395

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PlayStation 4) - 3,137
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Xbox One) - 754
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PC) - 504

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Wolf 2 is undecided, too. It sold very badly in the UK, but then in Spain it sold more than half of what the PS4 version sold in 3 weeks, and double of XB1 version in 3 weeks. My bet is he's using UK to extrapolate worldwide performance again, despite ample evidence that the UK market is an outlier for Switch.

Yeah using UK as the benchmark for anything Nintendo is not ideal by any means. Had no idea it sold that well in Spain - late port outside of holiday season.. that's not hald bad at all. However, comparing to the Xbox market in spain is no good either.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Ah wow, thanks. I hope we get some NPD numbers for that too.

Wolf 2 releases this month in Japan IIRC, no one expects it to have any sort of success there, right?
Japan, definitely not (look at how Doom did there). Sadly I doubt it will do good numbers in NPD either... Which will be more fuel for the naysayers (unjustified, since this game is not an indication of anything) .

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Ah wow, thanks. I hope we get some NPD numbers for that too.

Wolf 2 releases this month in Japan IIRC, no one expects it to have any sort of success there, right?

Code:
PS4    Doom    6.274    8.636    Bethesda Softworks    19/05/2016
SWI    Doom    2.369    2.369    Bethesda Softworks    01/03/2018

PS4    Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus    3.564    3.564    Bethesda Softworks    23/11/2017
I'd say it might do 1k. Which might mean it won't enter the top 30 for Famitsu, so we won't know its exact number.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Shoutout to Arthands for finding this:

Supposedly says the next shipment is scheduled for August.

Welp if true.

Edit: For balance:
If Google Translate isn't failing me (I know), that's a tweet from the Twitter account of a single store. I'd be grateful is anyone can confirm this by properly translating its profile description

https://twitter.com/g1983?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1018866340663255040&ref_url=https://s9e.github.io/iframe/twitter.min.html#1018866340663255040
If it's just that single store, then it could very well be that nationwide restocks are due earlier.

Last edited:

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Watching retail in Japan screw up this badly after the recent stint of massive bombs makes me think they've lost the read of the market.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
If Google Translate isn't failing me (I know), that's a tweet from the Twitter account of a single store. I'd be grateful is anyone can confirm this by properly translating its profile description

https://twitter.com/g1983?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1018866340663255040&ref_url=https://s9e.github.io/iframe/twitter.min.html#1018866340663255040

It's just one video game store, located in Sapporo (opened in 2004, from the looks of it).

Besides, the website makes it pretty clear this is no chain: https://shop.1983.jp/shop/shop.cgi?...81%40%93%FC%89%D7&FF=0&price_sort=&pic_only=1

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
First anecdotal from retailers for Pokemon preorders is that version almost everyone preffers is the one bundled with Pokeball.

There is a very big rise of price in that case comparing to previous entries, from 4.980 yen to 9.980, more than double.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
First anecdotal from retailers for Pokemon preorders is that version almost everyone preffers is the one bundled with Pokeball.

There is a very big rise of price in that case comparing to previous entries, from 4.980 yen to 9.980, more than double.
In which case it may be a smart thing that they opened pre-orders so early, since this way they might be better able to estimate the interest for the pokeball, and possibly manufacture more in time for the release, if necessary (?)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Has pokemon always been that much cheaper in japan? Let's Go is 60 american for us

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon standard edition went from 4.980 at 3DS to 5.980 at Switch. Pokeball Plus costs 4.980 if you buy it separately. Since so far majority prefers Pokeball too, the bundle is the only way to go for a 1.000 yen save.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Daedalus: The Awakening of Golden Jazz (?), a new game in the Jake Hunter series, out this year on Switch, PS4, PC. Something about a new concept. Kinda surprising they're having two games from the same series the same year.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201807/17160822.html

If anyone was still wondering why Mew is a Poké Ball plus exclusive ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I wonder, is any tracker, or possibly Nintendo themselves gonna release sales numbers for the Pokeball ?

Its a accessory/controller, but i would love to know the attachrate to the games.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Watching retail in Japan screw up this badly after the recent stint of massive bombs makes me think they've lost the read of the market.

Kind of sad to see the last Gundam beeing way overshipped leading to significant price drops to bargain bin prices in one hand and on the other hand games like Octopath Traveller suffering from shortages.

Oct 27, 2017
Shoutout to Arthands for finding this:

Supposedly says the next shipment is scheduled for August.

Welp if true.

Edit: For balance:

If it's just that single store, then it could very well be that nationwide restocks are due earlier.

I'm sure that can be expedited. I'm not even sure if they'd know more than a general estimate. There's no way they've blown through 2 weeks worth of shipments in a few days...right?

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
More anecdotal.

Sanki Zero hype is literally at zero. Despite coming from Danganronpa creators and good word of mouth it failed to find an audience.

There is hype for Taiko on Switch. If the game is good the first Switch entry could the heights of first 3DS entry.

Big18

Jun 24, 2018
https:///captain-toad-treasure-tracker-is-in-short-supply-in-japan/

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is also close to selling out in Japan according to this article.