• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
A game is aimed at an audience and not all audiences have the same means of purchase. That's why there are variations the digital tie ratio. RPGs tend to do poor digitally because they offer little after the completion which means you get people who want to sell the game right after competing it. RPGs can also have very dedicated fans, who want to get the special edition items. Neither of these things are possible with digital versions.

RPGs have short legs because once you finish it it has little value to hold on to. Monster Hunter built its entire appeal on social multiplayer. One of these titles is a way safer digital purchase.

Well that makes sense too. Still even with RPGs I would say that digital option saves at least some sales if there retail shortages.

lol no. Japan know a bad FPS when they see one.

But Doom is one of the best shooters in years and it bombed in Japan. More like Japanese don't buy single player focused shooters. No matter the quality.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Your posts are appreciated, keep doing your thang man.

You go back and finish up side quests. The average length would be 40-60 hours. To do everything would float you closer to 80 hours
Ok, i see. Thanks for the info. Definitelly seems like a game with a good amount of content.

Early impression are not very positive.
What are the main concerns/issues?

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
https:///captain-toad-treasure-tracker-is-in-short-supply-in-japan/

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is also close to selling out in Japan according to this article.

I guess now we wait to find out how big the shipments were for toad and octopath. Makes for a pretty fun week sales wise, not sure what to expect.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
https:///captain-toad-treasure-tracker-is-in-short-supply-in-japan/

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is also close to selling out in Japan according to this article.
Could it be that they looked at the 3DS version, at least for Yodobashi? Unless i'm mistaken, the Switch version is in stock there, but the 3DS version isnt.

Big18

Jun 24, 2018
Could it be that they looked at the 3DS version, at least for Yodobashi? Unless i'm mistaken, the Switch version is in stock there, but the 3DS version isnt.
I assume they looked at the Switch version as they specifically mentioned Switch port in the article and not the 3DS. It also says that some Yodobashi's has it on stock still, but we do know so far that the Switch version outsold the Wii U version already in it's first week.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I assume they looked at the Switch version as they specifically mentioned Switch port in the article and not the 3DS. It also says that some Yodobashi's has it on stock still, but we do know so far that the Switch version outsold the Wii U version already in it's first week.
The reason why i'm wondering is because the article mention that almost all Yodobashi stores are out of stock, but unless i'm misunderstanding something, it seems that almost all Yodobashi stores has it in stock and are ready to ship the Switch version, while the 3DS version seems to be out of stock in almost every store. Maybe they got restocked in the meanwhile, that can be a possibility at least.

Grads

Oct 25, 2017
Octopath is no1 on the best sellers in the Japanese E Shop. The last non-download only game to overthrow Minecraft for1st place was Kirby.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Well that makes sense too. Still even with RPGs I would say that digital option saves at least some sales if there retail shortages.

I agree. It's undeniable digital hel0s save some sales that once were forever lost. MHW though, that digital rate was wild. Its by far the highest digital volume for a retail release in Japan.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Captain Toad being more succesful makes me happy. That game is sooo awesome. It's one of my favourite Wii U titles.

Vena

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Octo getting over Minecraft is probably indicative of a non-negligible digital share for this title. So probably pretty severe shortages vs. demand.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
So Captain Toad opening signs are promising? That's exciting. Hope it and Octopath both have strong openings. Both deserve it.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
At some point I will go through and update the Publisher Chart I had for Switch going. I've been busy and have been in the process of moving so I haven't had access to my main PC that I was doing the Excel on.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
more curious about if octopath will have jrpg legs or not, than its first week.

it still has to beat Xeno2 for my prediction to be right.

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
Why not? Bravely Default had a 165k first week shipment, Bravely Second had a 188k first week shipment. It depends on what retailers are willing to order.

well according to COMG the preorder number was not high so that's a factor.

what I hope though was SE printed more copies than retailer demands but I doubt it lol.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, its a recycled and rushed product. Poor planning for your domestic market has lasting impacts.

/shrug
No, it's because the game was probably intended to be released at the later date. They were forced to move it to this year summer because after a bad first half, with only FighterZ being a big success, they need a big summer game, and this is one of the only logical choices for summer to rush for

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do hope they'll patch that Taiko game to some sort of minimum quality level, for now I guess I'll skip, I already have the Vita version.

Oct 26, 2017
I do hope they'll patch that Taiko game to some sort of minimum quality level, for now I guess I'll skip, I already have the Vita version.

Fingers crossed that they do so and really get in there to really fix it up for the western release. They CANNOT fuck up since the series' western future will likely depend on its success.

It's one thing to rush it, it's another to leave it like that and not fix it up as much and good as they can afterward.