• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Taiko bad impressions are probably exagerated and the casual audience of this game will probably don't care.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm? That seems weird.

A Guitar Hero game that reused a lot of good songs would have been destroyed in 2010.

I think it doesn't matter because the PS4/PSV entries weren't very popular.

It's kind of like how Wii U ports haven't really sold like ports for the most part, because the Switch userbase is much more vast and receptive to these kinds of games.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Maybe it has those same songs because they are popular songs?
Yeah, the only 30 or so popular ones that exist amongst the series' hundreds upon hundreds of previously released songs.

Nobody will care for the selection of songs being on PS4/PSV before if it's a good one.
This will be the first Taiko game I won't buy in a very long time, so you're wrong out of the gate. I care, and I bet a lot of others do as well.

Taiko is becoming increasingly shameless with their constant platform switching and songs recycling.

Resetti

Oct 25, 2017
TBH, I don't see anything wrong with the motion control.

Yeah it looks good enough on the video.
I've seen multiple complains about motion control though, maybe it's like the case of Arms where people are holding the controllers wrong? Not sure.
But you can certainly see the long loading time from the video.

It's a taiko game so I don't know if these are enough to be the deal breaker for the casual audience, I guess we'll see.

Edit: Apparently Kirby has a character skill that makes it easier to handle the timing of hitting the drum, so that could've helped.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
This will be the first Taiko game I won't buy in a very long time, so you're wrong out of the gate. I care, and I bet a lot of others do as well.
Ig
Taiko is becoming increasingly shameless with their constant platform switching and songs recycling.
"Nobody" was an exaggeration. If direct Wii U to Switch ports don't have big affect at sales reused assets from low selling entries on Sony systems will have even less.

That's not the problem this game has to face.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
When does this come out? Never followed MC closely but kinda hyped for Octopath numbers lol

8 hours.

With mass sell outs of the game I'm assuming somewhere in the 95-100k range. YSO said 80ish with less than 90 and I figure the number they give isn't reflecting 100% sell through expectation.

Low preorders for this game was weird to me though. It has shown well the entirety of its marketing campaign.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
This Taiko doesn't even have ANY Precure songs despite previous Nintendo Taiko games having them.

While I already pre-loaded the game and all song list is indeed garbage.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
The Switch Taiko game with 80% of its track list recycled from the PS Vita and PS4 games is a rushed mess?

Whodda thunk

PSV and PS4 games sold around 100k each. Very limited audience. Casual gamers will not care.

Taiko bad impressions are probably exagerated and the casual audience of this game will probably don't care.

True. The first DS Taiko was also pretty bad but sold like 700k units. The first Wii game was also pretty disappointing.

Hmm? That seems weird.

A Guitar Hero game that reused a lot of good songs would have been destroyed in 2010.

The game sold 100k on PS4. Switch audience is much more heterogeneous and this will likely be a new game for them.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
My guess is 90k OT, 40k El Capitan Todd

Wouldn't be surprised if both are lower though due to under shipping.

As to Switch, I'll be bold and say 55k (will probably be lower), PS4 I would guess 17k.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Wii U > Switch FW

(higher LTD)
Mario Kart 8
Pokkén Tournament

(lower LTD)
Bayonetta 2
Hyrule Warriors

Switch > Wii U FW
Donkey Kong Country
Captain Toad?

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
It's funny, for all the campaigning of people like Jim Sterling that pre-order culture is anti-consumer and there's no advantage to doing so, if more people had pre-ordered Octopath then we might not be seeing these shortages/more people would have been able to get the game they wanted.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, for all the campaigning of people like Jim Sterling that pre-order culture is anti-consumer and there's no advantage to doing so, if more people had pre-ordered Octopath then we might not be seeing these shortages/more people would have been able to get the game they wanted.

1) Nothing wrong with preordering a game you want.
2) If it's not a AAA game, preorder to avoid missing out. There's plenty of niche games that probably wouldn't get a second shipment from retailers.

Aside from Octopath Traveler, this has happened before with retailers even in the west not having a lot of copies of a particular game at launch like Bayonetta 2 (Wii U) that people on the old forum accused Nintendo of undershipping/artificial scarcity when 1) You should've preordered, 2) it's the sequel to a game that sold the majority of its 1 million copies in bargain bins.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I don't really think this is entirely true. More preorders would mean a higher initial shipment, sure, but games sell out because of word of mouth. That's not something that preorders would fix, because people who buy the game because their friends got it and rave about it on the week of release itself are not going to have been people who preordered the game anyway.

The problem isn't preorders, the problem is unique to games on cart/cards, because of the delay in manufacturing more units. There is a lack of agility in restocking quickly, something that disc games don't suffer from at all.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Probably not a big one. It's still just Octopath, not a big IP.
Two of my friends bought a Switch for this game, without any input by me about the Switch nor the game. If my Dutch friends are crazy enough to do that, I think there might be some surprises for the upcoming Japanese data. Apparently it is a big IP for some. Value is in the eye of the beholder.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Any

blog-leaks.jpg

?

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
Captain toad Wii U, first week:

M-C:
07./00. [WIU] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker <ADV> (Nintendo) {2014.11.13} (¥3.996) - 28.025 / NEW

FAM:
07./00. [WIU] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker <ADV> (Nintendo) {2014.11.13} (¥3.996) - 29.985 / NEW <40-60%>

DGK:
08./00. [WIU] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Nintendo) {2014.11.13} - 26.995 / NEW

Oct 26, 2017
Captain toad Wii U, first week:

M-C:
07./00. [WIU] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker <ADV> (Nintendo) {2014.11.13} (¥3.996) - 28.025 / NEW

FAM:
07./00. [WIU] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker <ADV> (Nintendo) {2014.11.13} (¥3.996) - 29.985 / NEW <40-60%>

DGK:
08./00. [WIU] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Nintendo) {2014.11.13} - 26.995 / NEW
What is the LTD? Thanks