• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Would you say the chance of any main kiseki coming to the Switch is close to 0% ?

Or you have absolutely no idea ?
I can see them allowing older generation games if the developer that wants to do the process of porting is found.

For current gen games I give zero chances for a release on a Nintendo console in the near future even if there's interest, they'll want to maintain Sony exclusivity for a few years.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I find that interview answer of NF's really cringey. He wouldn't even react to people saying 'NF doesn't want to support Switch' if there wasn't some truth to it. They don't have the knowledge to work with Switch? How about acquiring knowledge then, just like all the developers actually developing games for Switch 🤦‍♂️ It's like he's given up on the future and has accepted that NF will slowly fade into irrelevancy ...

On another note, some more questions to you guys, because I've been following MC-threads for so long. Pls excuse my obnoxious enthusiasm:

1) So Capcom switched to a business model of releasing a few heavy hitters each year, no smaller titles. Looking at worst case scenarios: How many bomba could Capcom as company survive? Ever since they switched their strategy, I was thinking about that. When you're only releasing like 2 games per year, even one flop must hurt. How many 'hurt' would be too many?

--> This is not entirely true since Capcom's business models still thrives on catalogue sales of their legacy titles. However with BC coming and the number of games they already released, the well has dried a bit.

2) It's some time off, but what do you expect Monster Hunter World 2 to sell like? Matching the 1st game's sales? My train of thought her is that Capcom could possibly run into a Metroid Prime 2-effect here, meaning that lots of people bought the first game due to hype, but now that they know what the franchise is like, they'll stay away from the sequel.

--> Depends on the platforms and the timing.

3) Will Atlus ever open the floodgates for full, proper Switch-support?

--> When SMTV releases and they'll have their assets ready for the Switch. Expect remakes and EO games.

4) With PS5 launching next year, do you expect Japanese developers to start developing games with Switch as a base and then adding details for the PS5-version OR do you expect a full divide between developers targeting PS5 only (to make money in the west) and other (smaller) devs switching to mobile game development, with an occasional Switch-port?

---> It'll depend on the publishers and the scope of the game. Expect almost (looking at you Falcom) AA Japanese games to be on Switch. AAA games is more tricky. Regardless expect those games to target PS4 aswell for quite some time.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
It had a very slight increase with diamond/pearl and black/white sold worse than any previous entry. Not terrible sales but when you consider just how well the DS sold from both a HW and SW perspective it doesn't look all that great. They also were totally unable to take advantage of the massive wii userbase.

This gen pretty much all of Nintendo's SW is seeing significant if not record breaking sales. If pokemon stays level or drops compared to the last entries that would be a poor result IMO.

GB Pokémon Red / Green / Blue 140.074 7.936.360 Nintendo 27/02/1996
GB Pokémon Gold / Silver 1.425.768 6.088.144 Nintendo 21/11/1999
NDS Pokémon Diamond / Pearl 1.586.360 5.826.538 Pokémon Co. 28/09/2006
NDS Pokémon Black / White 2.637.285 5.490.455 Pokémon Co. 18/09/2010
GBA Pokémon Ruby / Sapphire 1.245.003 5.337.045 Pokémon Co. 21/11/2002
3DS Pokémon X / Y 2.096.050 4.557.957 Pokémon Co. 12/10/2013
3DS Pokémon Sun / Moon 1.905.107 3.918.808 Pokémon Co. 18/11/2016

Black and White also sold better than Ruby/Sapphire.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
This is pure speculation on my part, but I don't know if we will see a follow up Pokemon title/Remake in 2020. I think it would be beneficial to let the franchise breathe for a year after the Dexit controversy. Spend more time on the follow up to include more HD assets and content, maybe even provide more comprehensive DLC for Sword/Shield than we typically get for Pokemon titles in the meantime. That could help the legs in the long run compared to Sun/Moon and X/Y, both had either follow up titles or Remakes that cut the legs short.

Oct 26, 2017
This is pure speculation on my part, but I don't know if we will see a follow up Pokemon title/Remake in 2020. I think it would be beneficial to let the franchise breathe for a year after the Dexit controversy. Spend more time on the follow up to include more HD assets and content, maybe even provide more comprehensive DLC for Sword/Shield than we typically get for Pokemon titles in the meantime. That could help the legs in the long run compared to Sun/Moon and X/Y, both had either follow up titles or Remakes that cut the legs short.

Pokemon GunSword and GunShield in 2020 with all the Pokemon could be a big seller.

What was the release window again?

Q1 2020.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
2020 will be an off year for Game Freak imo. However, we'll probably get 1 or 2 spin-offs.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Capcom reusing the Portable franchise could be a smart move in Japan. MHP3rd is the best-selling entry there and the game became popular under this name.

I don't think a TGS or pre-TGS announcement is realistic with Iceborne coming out 9/6.

Capcom announced RE6 a few days before releasing RER on 3DS. I think they might announce something as it targets a different platform.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, it's impossible for MH Switch to come out in Q1 2020, mainly because Capcom has no other major release planned for the current FY. It doesn't mean it doesn't exist, though, due to Ichinose's tease back in March and Zell's own "confirmation". It doesn't mean it can't be announced this year either.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I find that interview answer of NF's really cringey. He wouldn't even react to people saying 'NF doesn't want to support Switch' if there wasn't some truth to it. They don't have the knowledge to work with Switch? How about acquiring knowledge then, just like all the developers actually developing games for Switch 🤦‍♂️ It's like he's given up on the future and has accepted that NF will slowly fade into irrelevancy ...
I get the notion that hes mostly adressing the negative things around it, like the comments about that NF doesnt like the Switch or anything like that. There doesnt have to be any truth to that. And his reaction is normal to something like that this. It seems more to me that he just wanted to set the record straight, and answered in the context of being asked about the Switch and brining their content to other platforms. Wouldnt you also set the record straight if someone said something about you that wasnt true?

Otherwise, yeah, they probably could get that knowledge if they really wanted to. I think they're talented and would be able to work with the Switch as well, so i agree with that. Maybe he ment that they dont know at the current point in time and dont want to invest time and money into doing that, not that they're not able to do it if they really wanted.

EDIT: Rewrote some of my post for easier reading.

Last edited:

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
At this point, it's impossible for MH Switch to come out in Q1 2020, mainly because Capcom has no other major release planned for the current FY. It doesn't mean it doesn't exist, though, due to Ichinose's tease back in March and Zell's own "confirmation". It doesn't mean it can't be announced this year either.
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Ultimate for Nintendo Switch is not a major release *sips tea*

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Capcom gonna revive the Monster Hunter Portable brand by making it exclusive to the Switch Lite

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I say release the next Detective Pikachu title and either a Mystery Dungeon or Ranger game to bide time. I'm feeling burned out by Pokemon and I didn't even get Let's Go or Ultra Sun/Moon.
How can you feel burned out by something you essentially didnt participate in for at least 2 years ?

Between USUM in 2017, and now the only Pokemon games that released were USUM, Lets Go, Pokemon Quest and Detective Pikachu.

With both Quest and Pika being such small sidegames, where its impossible to even burn out.

Unless you mean the Franchise on its whole, in which case you are out of luck, since there will always be something Pokemon releasing, no matter the time.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
BMX XXX x MH crossover?

giphy.gif

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
The Splatoon 2 Famitsu thing looks like it's basically going to go through the entire history of the game, from when it was first shown in the October 2016 Switch reveal to the Final Fest

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
How can you feel burned out by something you essentially didnt participate in for at least 2 years ?

Between USUM in 2017, and now the only Pokemon games that released were USUM, Lets Go, Pokemon Quest and Detective Pikachu.

With both Quest and Pika being such small sidegames, where its impossible to even burn out.

Unless you mean the Franchise on its whole, in which case you are out of luck, since there will always be something Pokemon releasing, no matter the time.
Eh, just a personal thing.

Pokemon has plenty of side hustles so that the main game series can skip a year without the franchise losing visibility or importance.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
For the Zell rumor to be correct, the game would have to come out by March so we're cutting it pretty close here.

Zell is obviously very correct about Nintendo but I'm not as sure about his Capcom sources.
Zell himself said that he wasn't sure of that window release and at the same time confirmed MH Switch does exists according to him at least.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to believe Monster Hunter Switch is out at Q1 2020 you also have to believe it will be a low profile game and not what you expect.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to believe Monster Hunter Switch is out at Q1 2020 you also have to believe it will be a low profile game and not what you expect.
Yup. Capcom said they didn't have any major releases planned for this FY in their Financial Release. We could still see a spin-off or an announced game for later in 2020.

Elma4Smash

Banned
Jul 15, 2019

Has anyone been expecting a 'high profile' game? From what I've been following, most people expect heavy re-use of World's content, re-arranged into a new mix. Nothing I'd call 'high profile'.

After Capcom's history with Switch so far, a real effort MH has never been on the table imo.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone been expecting a 'high profile' game? From what I've been following, most people expect heavy re-use of World's content, re-arranged into a new mix. Nothing I'd call 'high profile'.

After Capcom's history with Switch so far, a real effort MH has never been on the table imo.
What you describe is high profile.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017

That would sell 3-4M copies in Japan.