• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Hehe =)

Has anyone been expecting a 'high profile' game? From what I've been following, most people expect heavy re-use of World's content, re-arranged into a new mix. Nothing I'd call 'high profile'.

After Capcom's history with Switch so far, a real effort MH has never been on the table imo.
Theres been some speculation about bringing back the portable series of Monster Hunter again. Making a custom version just for the Switch. Its all relative, but that would be high profile in general, just like the portable serie was.

Just of out curiousity, what would you define as real effort in this regards?

Oct 25, 2017
A 78 pages feature in Famitsu magazine this week. No, it's not for the latest Monster Hunter game or anything. No, just for the Final Fest (Splatoon 2).

It's already rare for a game to get such a huge feature, but for a mere in-game event...

Nintendo sure has been making a bigger deal out of this one than the Splatoon 1 final Splatfest.
Wonder if sales will go up this week since it's their last chance to participate.
(I think Splatfest is this weekend?)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone been expecting a 'high profile' game? From what I've been following, most people expect heavy re-use of World's content, re-arranged into a new mix. Nothing I'd call 'high profile'.

After Capcom's history with Switch so far, a real effort MH has never been on the table imo.
that's what Portable 3rd was, which was the best selling game until World

Elma4Smash

Banned
Jul 15, 2019
What you describe is high profile.
That would sell 3-4M copies in Japan.

Oh, you're strictly talking about sales, right? Can't blame you considering the thread.

I meant 'high/low profile' in terms of the effort Capcom actually puts into the development of such a hypothetical Switch MH. That's where I wouldn't expect anything 'high profile'.

Hehe =)

Theres been some speculation about bringing back the portable series of Monster Hunter again. Making a custom version just for the Switch. Its all relative, but that would be high profile in general, just like the portable serie was.

Just of out curiousity, what would you define as real effort in this regards?

A proper brandnew MH that features a new town, new areas, well-written new story and lots of new monsters. And a couple gameplay features that weren't part of World (see how Tri brought underwater, or 4 brought climbing).

Simply a game that can stand on its own feet without being regarded as 'what remains of World'.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017

Next round of Capcom high profile Switch support in October.

Wild prediction: digital only, with zero features added, overpriced and will continue the path of low performing Capcom titles on Switch lately.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
A proper brandnew MH that features a new town, new areas, well-written new story and lots of new monsters. And a couple gameplay features that weren't part of World (see how Tri brought underwater, or 4 brought climbing).

Simply a game that can stand on its own feet without being regarded as 'what remains of World'.
Understood. That does essentially sound like MH6, and it would be better for Capcom to make that multiplatform instead of an exclusive to one platform, in my opinion. The Portable serie is based on the main games (2G from MH2, and Portable 3rd and TriG from MH3).

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.

Wild prediction: digital only, with zero features added, overpriced and will continue the path of low performing Capcom titles on Switch lately.

Fun fact: the blog link doesn't work (because the tweet went live 1h too early). I know it's just a silly CM mistake, but you cannot help but chuckle at how they managed to mess that one up, ha ha.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

What are the best performing Capcom titles?

MH Generations @ 1.2M early 2019
USF2 @ 500k mid 2017
RERE @ 250k early 2018

So basically everythin released after 2017 outside of the western MH port has tanked?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the best performing Capcom titles?

MH Generations @ 1.2M early 2019
USF2 @ 500k mid 2017
RERE @ 250k early 2018

So basically everythin released after 2017 outside of the western MH port has tanked?

Not at all. Capcom reported that USF2, SF30th and Mega Man 11 all sold well or met expectations. We don't have any comments/data yet about the more recent Switch ports.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Not at all. Capcom reported that USF2, SF30th and Mega Man 11 all sold well or met expectations. We don't have any comments/data yet about the more recent Switch ports.

Probably because they didnt sell all too well. Outside of USF2 (which I already mentioned) who absolutely must have shattered what they expected.. SF2 for 40$ selling more than 500k is nothing but amazing for Capcom.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Probably because they didnt sell all too well. Outside of USF2 (which I already mentioned) who absolutely must have shattered what they expected.. SF2 for 40$ selling more than 500k is nothing but amazing for Capcom.
You can't really assume bad sales out of no mention. Nintendo didn't make a comment about first week Smash sales, and that definitely didn't mean it didn't do well, for example.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
We have eShop sales for Capcom's late digital only Switch releases and they didn't light up the charts.

For Onimusha and Phoenix Wright we know sales were super low across all systems.

Last edited:

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
You can't really assume bad sales out of no mention. Nintendo didn't make a comment about first week Smash sales, and that definitely didn't mean it didn't do well, for example.

I'm not assuming it based on no mention, I am assuming it over the fact that the games hasnt been high on the e-shop, hasnt received a physical release world wide, the numbers we have from Japan is yikez at best and the fact that yeah.. it's old overpriced ports.

I will gladly eat my words if Capcom says that Ace, DD, DmC and RE1-4 sold very well. I just dont believe it.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
There is also the possibility that Animal Crossing being delayed to the end of Q1 could have pushed a higher profile MH to Q2.
Capcom decided the last moment to push MH Switch behind because or Animal Crossing? I don't see that. The two games have zero audience overlap and a a programmed Q1 release would require a reveal around TGS, close to Iceborn. With how close Capcom is to Sony and after MHXX treatment on Switch I don't see a single hypothetical scenario Capcom would do something that would create the suspicion a single sale of Iceborn would be affected.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017

Looks like in US at least, Capcom is offering a $60 triple pack with RE4 on cartridge and the other 2 as download codes.

Jan 2, 2018
Looks like in US at least, Capcom is offering a $60 triple pack with RE4 on cartridge and the other 2 as download codes.

We also have a special bundle coming to North American retail – Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 5, and Resident Evil 6 will all be included in the Resident Evil Triple Pack! This pack brings together all three games in one convenient place, with Resident Evil 4 on a cartridge and Resident Evil 5 and 6 included as a digital download voucher. You can grab this pack for $59.99 beginning October 29th.

"This pack brings together all three games in one convenient place." - Yes, very convenient that you have to download 5 and 6.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
That's still 2/3 digital. We know Switch digital releases will be more expensive than PS4. If Capcom tries something similar for Japan, that's the best comparison:

[PS4] Resident Evil Value Pack {Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster \ Resident Evil HD Remaster \ Resident Evil 4 \ Resident Evil 5 \ Resident Evil 6} <ADV> (Capcom) (¥8.100)

Out from September 2016, all games on disc.

Elma4Smash

Banned
Jul 15, 2019
Understood. That does essentially sound like MH6, and it would be better for Capcom to make that multiplatform instead of an exclusive to one platform, in my opinion. The Portable serie is based on the main games (2G from MH2, and Portable 3rd and TriG from MH3).

You're right that multiplatform would make sense for such game. BUT: Then the Switch would be excluded again, because do you really think Capcom would risk a single sale from people saying 'well, MHW2 isn't as good as the first one because the Switch held it back'? That's why I think any Switch MH needs to be exvlusive. And It's why I don't expect any 'high profile' release, quality-wise. :(

MH Tri port incoming.

... I'd kinda like that 🙈 Tri was the last challenging MH where you sometimes had to quit a mission accepting the secondary objective because you realized it wasn't gonna work out.

"This pack brings together all three games in one convenient place." - Yes, very convenient that you have to download 5 and 6.

I always laugh when I see threads on resetera praising Capcom. It's really a situation where you have to divide into 'Capcom Super Saiyan' that makes all the best games, and 'Capcom Yamcha' that makes ... Switch-games. :/ The latter deserving nothing but criticism if not open mockery.

Hell, I think EVERY Capcom-game released on Switch can be associated with some type of shenanigans occurring attached to its released.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I always laugh when I see threads on resetera praising Capcom. It's really a situation where you have to divide into 'Capcom Super Saiyan' that makes all the best games, and 'Capcom Yamcha' that makes ... Switch-games. :/ The latter deserving nothing but criticism if not open mockery.

Hell, I think EVERY Capcom-game released on Switch can be associated with some type of shenanigans occurring attached to its released.
The duality of Capcom. Lots to be bitter about with Capcom's abysmal Switch support as of late, but they have been making some great games for the other platforms.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

check their blog, there are more details about the release.

i think 30$ is reasonable for a 360/PS3 game. and there will be a physical release for 4/5/6 together.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
it's 20$ for the exact same games on PS4/One

For us, consumers, it sucks. but from their perspective, this is a higher profile release on Switch due to its nature than the other systems, plus its a new game for Nintendo's platform, but an old game for PS4/XOne, so if there are new customers, it will be a good value for them.

the physical release is better value though, it appears they at least listened a little to criticism.

Oct 25, 2017
Trilogy pack is good, at least.
3 games for presumably $60 is a better value than the 3 for $90.
Will probably go on sale eventually too

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
i think 30$ is reasonable for a 360/PS3 game. and there will be a physical release for 4/5/6 together.
There's no excuse for Capcom's late overpriced Switch digital ports. The only thing they achieve is turning even more potential customers away from them. It's not 2017 anymore, there are better options out there.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still waiting for the Disney Afternoon Collection...it's that late.

That game should have been on Switch day and date with the other versions. The collection came out shortly after the Switch's launch and would have sold amazingly. Not to mention it's a collection of games that have a history with a Nintendo console. The Afternoon Collection not coming out on Switch perfectly sums up the relationship of Capcom with the Switch: weird decisions followed by more infuriating decisions.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that slightly worse than GE2 Rage Burst did on PS4?

Not a great debut, it will need to show legs(not unlikely).

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rage Burst did 32k FW/55k LTD on PS4.

Thanks, I was trying to google it but it just kept bring up results for the original GE2 result.

That's lower than I remembered so I think the Switch version of GE3 will do better than that which is probably a good sign considering GE2 Rage Burst's original version sold more than GE3's original version.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That was a day and date release with the VITA version, though.
According to GDL, GE2: Rage Burst launched at 32k on PS4. It wasn't a late port as GE3 is on Switch, although it launched alongside the far more popular PSV version.

Wait, I thought it was later?

Did Toukiden release later? I might have got them mixed up.

Definitely a positive sign then, even if the overall result is still a little meh.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Id say GE3 did better because unlike a lot of other late Bamco ports, there was already an audience built there with the previous release of MHXX.

Hopefully whatever is next, be it GE4 or a spinoff, releases day and date on Switch.