Media Create Sales: Week 27, 2019 (Jul 01 - Jul 07)

Oregano

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, they both launched simultaneously on February 19th, 2015. Toukiden 2 was also a simultaneous release on July 28th, 2016. However, Toukiden Kiwami was a late port on PS4 (Vita version released August 2014, PS4 version was April 2015, so a comparable gap between GE3 PS4 and Switch).
That must have been what I was thinking of.

Id say GE3 did better because unlike a lot of other late Bamco ports, there was already an audience built there with the previous release of MHXX.

Hopefully whatever is next, be it GE4 or a spinoff, releases day and date on Switch.
I'm not sure it's that specific. Sword Art Online seemed to do surprisingly well considering how old that games was(and it had a Vita version).

At this point I'm pretty inclined to say in general Switch definitely has an audience for Bamco's bread and butter teen focused anime games.

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
GE2:RB PS4 sold badly. It also looked like this on PS4 and was released on an userbase of 1.15M (some people always like to talk about userbase differences until it doesn't fit an specific narrative).

30k on Switch would be an unremarkable debut but it's not like this result will decide if GE4 releases on Switch. If GE4 exists it will probably release day and date with other versions.

flohen95

Nov 4, 2017
GE2:RB PS4 sold badly. It also looked like this on PS4 and was released on an userbase of 1.15M (some people always like to talk about userbase differences until it doesn't fit an specific narrative).

30k on Switch would be an unremarkable debut but it's not like this result will decide if GE4 releases on Switch. If GE4 exists it will probably release day and date with other versions.
With Bandai Namco I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Bruno MB

Oct 25, 2017
God Eater is a series that sells nothing outside Japan. I have some overseas data for God Eater 3 and the game tanked ultra hard so for Bandai Namco's own sake we can almost surely bet unless they want to lose money that if there is a future God Eater entry it will be released simultaneously day one on Switch too.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
God Eater is a series that sells nothing outside Japan, I have some overseas data for God Eater 3 and the game tanked ultra hard so for Bandai Namco's own sake we can surely bet that if there is a future God Eater entry it will be released simultaneously day one on Switch too.
It failed to hit the top 40 individual formats and even the Switch top 20 the week it released in the UK lol, and that's in one of the slowest weeks of the year. That should mean it hardly did more than 100 units, if that. It's a bomba extraordinaire in the West.

Oregano

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure you will have ever seen me make that argument about anything other than the multi-million seller stuff.

In fact I copped a lot of flack for arguing that it wasn't a good sign if Nintendo platforms were relying purely on having a larger userbase when DQB2 came out and sold more on PS4.

dxspace

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure you will have ever seen me make that argument about anything other than the multi-million seller stuff.

In fact I copped a lot of flack for arguing that it wasn't a good sign if Nintendo platforms were relying purely on having a larger userbase when DQB2 came out and sold more on PS4.
The Switch outsold the PS4 long after DQB2 came out.

Bruno MB

Oct 25, 2017
It failed to hit the top 40 individual formats and even the Switch top 20 the week it released in the UK lol, and that's in one of the slowest weeks of the year. That should mean it hardly did more than 100 units, if that. It's a bomba extraordinaire in the West.
My comment was regarding what it sold on PlayStation 4, although I admit that my comment may be seen bold as ridiculous as this can sound after what happened lately and also because gaming is one of the few business where companies make decisions that are blatantly detrimental to their own interests.

Last edited:

IronTed

Jun 6, 2019

Ah, I remember that thread. Was amusing to say the least.

But arguing installbases for a game that will launch sub 50k is also funny.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
My comment was regarding what it sold on PlayStation 4, although I admit that my comment may be seen bold as ridiculous as this can sound after what happened lately and also because gaming is one of the few business where companies make decisions that are detrimental to their own interests.
Oh, even the PS4 release was abysmal? Man, that's truly awful, then. The game must be hurting quite a bit now that it's Japanese sales have basically been halved.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
You're right that multiplatform would make sense for such game. BUT: Then the Switch would be excluded again, because do you really think Capcom would risk a single sale from people saying 'well, MHW2 isn't as good as the first one because the Switch held it back'? That's why I think any Switch MH needs to be exvlusive. And It's why I don't expect any 'high profile' release, quality-wise. :(
I understand. A "portable" version could still be a high profile release though, also quality wise. For example, it was a very big deal when MHP3rd released, and its the best selling MH game so far by a good margin (as far as Japan goes at least). Its a good quality release. If Capcom brings such type a MH game to the Switch, it will be seen as a big deal and good support.

Yeah, i dont think Capcom will include the Switch version if that means that the other versions will be compromised because of that. But who knows what they will do in terms of multiplatform for MH going forward, only time will tell :)

Elma4Smash

Jul 15, 2019
Honestly, after playing the demo of GE3 ... it's just not a very good game. Moving your character feels cheap, like in many of these cheap anime game efforts like the SAO-games. Now sales might not always be tied to quality, but when I compare GE3 to MH (any of them, not just World), it's obvious to me why it's not a big seller. I love GE3's aesthetics, and it surely has a better story and more engaging characters than MH. But when the base quality isn't there, people won't flock to it.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
While I'm sure it won't chart in the July NPD charts, and it may possibly end up being an overall bomba in the West, you simply can't say that just based on the UK. Selling super badly in the UK does not mean "bomba extraordinaire in the West".

Oregano

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, after playing the demo of GE3 ... it's just not a very good game. Moving your character feels cheap, like in many of these cheap anime game efforts like the SAO-games. Now sales might not always be tied to quality, but when I compare GE3 to MH (any of them, not just World), it's obvious to me why it's not a big seller. I love GE3's aesthetics, and it surely has a better story and more engaging characters than MH. But when the base quality isn't there, people won't flock to it.
It's definitely not as good as Monster Hunter.

I always laughed when people were claiming GE2/Toukiden/Soul Sacrifice/Freedom Wars were all superior to MonHun.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I agree the weekly « but the west! » or « It’s all about Asia » crowd is awfully silent

Let’s avoid painting wide brushes about the sales talk here, because it quite obviously goes both ways

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I agree the weekly « but the west! » or « It’s all about Asia » crowd is awfully silent

Let’s avoid painting wide brushes about the sales talk here, because it quite obviously goes both ways
That has nothing to do with the topic at hand. And there's no both ways here, no need to take it personal.

People were doing comparisons with two games and missing relevant information in this specific case, when there have been plenty of times where people have been quick to point it out similar comparisons with much smaller userbase differences.

I have zero interest in "taking sides" here. You can see it if you read my full post again.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
That has nothing to do with the topic at hand. And there's no both ways here, no need to take it personal.

People were doing comparisons with two games and missing relevant information in this specific case, when there have been plenty of times where people have been quick to point it out similar comparisons with much smaller userbase differences.

I have zero interest in "taking sides" here. You can see it if you read my full post again.
You brought up the « when it doesn’t suit them people forget about userbases » and what I’m telling you is that it’s a line brought up against Switch support more than in favor of it to justify ones line of thoughts.

I don’t think GE underperforming has as much to do with userbase as with the game’s reputation proper

I mean to follow up on why you said Burst could have underperformed, MHXX sold upwards of 300k and that’s an upresed 3DS game