• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
You know why I'm here
Takashi Tezuka
dx1kpyv_d.jpg

Z6eU7ZP.gif

Nice hold for the GOAT. It should have great sales, and with Switch Lite coming everyone will scramble to play this.
P.S. パワーオーブ!!!

You better be ready. You're in for a looooooong ride

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
If the game remains alive until September, maybe.

I'm worried about Fire Emblem Three Houses sales. It's an handheld IP, so I could imagine that people who planned to buy it will wait until Switch Lite (and then, maybe don't buy it or buy it used).

Wont stop people who have a Switch already, I'm sure the first couple of weeks will be unaffected. In fact, I think we might see a big jump in September as a big bonus to it's sales.

I wouldnt worry.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Will the PS4 beat the PS3 LTD?

They are getting closer each week and at this point PS3 still had a bit of life left. With the PS5 on the horizon the PS3 might very well overtake the PS4.

To me it depends on how expensive PS5 will be and how aggressive Sony will be with PS4 price during its late gen phase. I mean launch aligned I believe PS3 was already 25k yen by 2012 so PS4 is currently more expensive (especially with Pro putting average selling price well above 30k).

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
That eshop bonus promotion is really helping with Switch sales. I wonder how many new buyer put the coupon towards an online membership to take advantage of the voucher promotion.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Surprisingly great week for switch this week. Must be more of a boost from vouchers than from SMM2. Speaking of which, -58% is good but slightly more than I expected.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that two of the big evergreens - Minecraft and SSBU - didn't seem to get a bump from this Switch spike. Is it possible that this suggests to us that the voucher is going towards those two more than other titles?

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
To me it depends on how expensive PS5 will be and how aggressive Sony will be with PS4 price during its late gen phase. I mean launch aligned I believe PS3 was already 25k yen by 2012 so PS4 is currently more expensive (especially with Pro putting average selling price well above 30k).
Sony can't be very aggressive with PS4 price cut for the simple reason PS5 will start from even worse position.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ah, so you're committing to this one. Looking forward to it.
MM2 will never leave the charts for years, are you committed for every single week?
You'll be here much longer than the Kingdom Hearts guy...
You better be ready. You're in for a looooooong ride
The GOAT demands commitment, we Maker gang already sold our souls, now it has given us the gift of Lite, which added 10 years to our life. 10 years of more sales updates!

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Sony can't be very aggressive with PS4 price cut for the simple reason PS5 will start from even worse position.
They can definitely be more aggressive with the 500 GB model. Keep in mind that in North America that model has been discontinued for quite awhile. At the very least a 5k yen permanent cut for both slim models to put their price closer to what they are in the US as currently Sony is fleecing its customers in Japan by comparison.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think the lite is just a strategy to get in the price conscious consumer. Its not going to sell more than Switch so I don't expect a big impact. It will probably add 20/30k weekly to the baseline though. Its will reach a completely different market.
If supply holds up, I don't think the Switch will dip below 100k a single week in 2019 after the Lite launch. This product is specifically made for Japan with the side bonus of attracting parents for holiday gifts in other markets.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
They can definitely be more aggressive with the 500 GB model. Keep in mind that in North America that model has been discontinued for quite awhile. At the very least a 5k yen permanent cut for both slim models to put their price closer to what they are in the US as currently Sony is fleecing its customers in Japan by comparison.
I think he meant that there is a risk of putting the PS4 at a significantly lower price than the PS5 since it could slow down adoption of next gen.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Another potential week for 10/10 Switch is next one. There are no new PS4 releases and FFXIV will drop like a rock. It depends on whether PS4 AOT2 can hold enough for being in top 10.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I think the reason Sony wont drop price on PS4 too much is that if they do, eventually PS5 will have to compete with a much much cheaper PS4 for that ever shrinking home console market in japan.

Why buy a 40k PS5 if there is a 20k PS4 aviable, and most early games will be on both anyway(if the backcompat holds up) ?

That could hurt PS5 adoption in japan a lot, which is really not what is needed.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I think the reason Sony wont drop price on PS4 too much is that if they do, eventually PS5 will have to compete with a much much cheaper PS4 for that ever shrinking home console market in japan.

Why buy a 40k PS5 if there is a 20k PS4 aviable, and most early games will be on both anyway(if the backcompat holds up) ?

That could hurt PS5 adoption in japan a lot, which is really not what is needed.
You might even be optimistic there

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The eShop voucher is doing its work for Switch hardware sales!

58% drop is good for Mario Maker. It will be a steady seller over the summer.

Only 22.260 units sold for Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers is a disappointing number. A comparison to the previous expansion:
Code:
03./00. [PS4] Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.06.20} (¥3.800) - 29.328 / NEW <80-100%>
07./00. [PS4] Final Fantasy XIV: The Complete Edition {Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn \ Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward \ Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood} <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.06.20} (¥5.800) - 6.211 / NEW <60-80%>
Total: 35.539

05./00. [PS4] Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.06.23} (¥4.104) - 35.830 / NEW <40-60%>
12./00. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.06.23} (¥4.104) - 8.509 / NEW <40-60%>
16./00. [PS4] Final Fantasy XIV: The Complete Experience {Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn \ Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward} <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.06.23} (¥6.264) - 4.726 / NEW <40-60%>
Total: 49.065

Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle sold 33.944 units across PS4 and NSW. I'm surprised the better-selling version is on Switch. It's a 49% drop compared to the launch sales of the original Attack on Titan 2 release, which is worse than I expected after the GEO report, but I guess it makes sense.

A 75% drop for Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu is a bit higher than expected. Usually it's around 70% for the second week. Let's see what word of mouth will do for its sales throughout the summer. I hope this will become a 150k+ seller, and I hope Konami will include the Switch in its platform line-up for Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2020.
The original switch version of AOT2 outlegged the PS4 iirc so it was only natural

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
40k would equate to about 400 American Dollars right ?

If PS5 is more expensive than that, even the current pricepoint of PS4 sounds more attractive at least early on, till more PS5 exclusive games release.
Yes.

Given the specs, general consensus is more around a 500$ console at launch.

Neither Sony, nor Microsoft want to have a less powerful machine this gen.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
I want to believe that it's a pre-Fire Emblem bump instead post-SMM2 bump.

From what we've seen of Fire Emblem Three Houses, I really doubt it.

I'm also very curious as to which games will get the biggest bump when the Switch Lite is out.

It's up in the air at this point and a hard guess. It will be very interesting indeed. I'm curious to see how much untapped potential the Switch has in Japan.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I think he meant that there is a risk of putting the PS4 at a significantly lower price than the PS5 since it could slow down adoption of next gen.
That's a really good point. They won't want to kneecap the PS5 debut in Japan. Will require some interesting strategies for sure, wonder what the end result will be.

EDIT: Also it's really amusing to see a Vita game in the top 5 of Amazon Japan's video game rankings.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
This is the 3rd best week of the year for Switch by the way, after W1 and W2.

I wonder if it's the worst week of the year for PS4 on the other hand, I don't have a datasheet for it tho.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that would put PS5 launch price into PS3 territory, which i cant see going down well with sales momentum after the first wave that will pay any price regardless.
PS3 had two SKUs at launch, one priced at 499$ and one at 599$.

The 499$ SKU lacked several components like an HDMI output.

So yeah, a price point between the PS4 and the PS3.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
What ? Consensus is that the game is going to be great.

What ?
From what i have seen its been a pretty good reception, with even the most ardent haters of modern FE being optimistic since it seems to be inspired by FE4.

On Era maybe, on the rest of internet, I've seen constant bashing of the game. Many says it looks ass and unappealing and that it's even more "animey" than Awakening.

I wouldn't go that far myself, but it doesn't look that appealing imo. It has a nice launch window and it's still Fire Emblem, but I don't know...

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
In terms of Japan FE hype, obviously not the best measuring stick, but on Pixiv pretty much all recent artwork using ファイアーエムブレム tag is FEH and/or Fates. Should I be using a different tag for 3 Houses artwork?

What sort of good signs are we seeing out of Japan for 3 Houses' hype?

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
The original switch version of AOT2 outlegged the PS4 iirc so it was only natural

Yes, it did (source: Famitsu's weekly Top 30s / 2018 Top 100 - retail only)

[NSW] Attack on Titan 2 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2018.03.15} (¥7.800) - 28.099 / 80.471
[PS4] Attack on Titan 2 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2018.03.15} (¥7.800) - 28.807 / 63.136
[PSV] Attack on Titan 2 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2018.03.15} (¥6.800) - 12.323 / 23.556

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
On Era maybe, on the rest of internet, I've seen constant bashing of the game. Many says it looks ass and unappealing and that it's even more "animey" than Awakening.

I wouldn't go that far myself, but it doesn't look that appealing imo. It has a nice launch window and it's still Fire Emblem, but I don't know...

On Era and where the fandom is. People bashing the game aren't probably interested in it in the first place. I get that visuals are not great, but Fire Emblem games never had great visuals.

However, it seems to be the most ambitious Fire Emblem game in terms of scope and narration. Gameplay, Music and the worldbuilding are on point and explain the hype.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
SE needs to find a way to get FFXIV on Switch. The game could really resurge on handheld in Japan.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Woah, wasn't expecting this Switch HW bump! Not bad at all
Good hold for SMM2 and nice to see a multiplatform third party game released date&day on Switch perform...slightly better than the PS4 version. Water is wet, I presume

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
On Era and where the fandom is. People bashing the game aren't probably interested in it in the first place. I get that visuals are not great, but Fire Emblem games never had great visuals.

However, it seems to be the most ambitious Fire Emblem game in terms of scope and narration. Gameplay, Music and the worldbuilding are on point and explain the hype.

Fire Emblem on GBA had nice graphics, for the time.

We'll see then. What do you expect for first week in Japan ?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem on GBA had nice graphics, for the time.

We'll see then. What do you expect for first week in Japan ?
I am expecting it to become the best selling Fire Emblem game Worldwide. So 3m+ WW.

Japan is complicated because of how enticing the voucher offer is here (you save more than in the West, and the game is already #2 on the eshop). So I am going to make my bet on its two first months. We'll get official numbers by Nintendo on October 31st.

So something like 500k for FE:TH first two months according to Nintendo.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
My bet about FE is that it will be the best selling game in the West for the franchise, but will be down compared to Fates and Awakening in Japan.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't think the sales will bomb, but if I were making decisions I wouldn't have announced until September. Maybe the feature differences and the 3000¥ voucher and upcoming games will be enough.
Yeah, i would do the same. I just think that even if the weekly sales go down to maybe... 15k-20k in the upcoming weeks, i expect the sales to basically explode once the Switch Lite is released, since many would then have hold off buying a Switch until that point in time :) If the Switch sales keeps around 50k-60k until the Switch Lite is released, i expect a smaller "explosion" of sales. That 10k yen pricedrop however will still likely boost the sales quite noticeably regardless though.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

Given the specs, general consensus is more around a 500$ console at launch.

Neither Sony, nor Microsoft want to have a less powerful machine this gen.
40k would equate to about 400 American Dollars right ?

If PS5 is more expensive than that, even the current pricepoint of PS4 sounds more attractive at least early on, till more PS5 exclusive games release.
With the specs and other tech they are shooting for, I don't see either Xbox Scarlet or PS5 launching for less than $500. I think there will be higher-end models that will be $600+ to make up for whatever loss they take at a $500 entry level. If that turns out to be true, the first few years of PS5 are going to be grim in Japan.

Reasonably sized SSDs are still really expensive.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it did (source: Famitsu's weekly Top 30s / 2018 Top 100 - retail only)

[NSW] Attack on Titan 2 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2018.03.15} (¥7.800) - 28.099 / 80.471
[PS4] Attack on Titan 2 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2018.03.15} (¥7.800) - 28.807 / 63.136
[PSV] Attack on Titan 2 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2018.03.15} (¥6.800) - 12.323 / 23.556
It was smart of koei to get in so early on switch

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Was this week the official start of the Summer vacations in Japan? I feel like I remember reading that in the last thread. Could that explain the Switch bump this week vs last week?

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Reaction is similar to 2DS it feels like. I wonder if PSP go or GB micro had similar responses way back when?