• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
The NDS and the GB/GBC are the best selling video game consoles in Japan, followed by the 3DS.

Yes ? I never said the opposite. Facts are : GB/GBC and NDS sold better in the US than in Japan. They also sold better in Europe than in Japan. The situation is the same for the Nintendo Switch. Nintendo has strictly no reasons to designed a Nintendo Switch Lite specifcally for Japan when Nintendo handhelds have been more popular elsewhere (in sheer numbers).

If you can sell 8m Switch Lite in Japan and 10m in the US, why would you design your console for Japan first ? It doesn't matter what country is the most handhelds focused, what matters is the numbers of consoles sold at the end of the day. That's what I would call actual common sens.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
It's interesting that they're doing a dragon quest special edition of the regular switch, I thought at first it may be to deplete stock to make way for the replacement but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Got to get people locked in the tv mode so they buy the slime controller.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Well, there's 25 weeks left, so if the majority are 100k+ weeks (holidays are likely way more than 100k in that case), then 4.5M seems easily beaten.
This would be past the Lite launch, I think sales will be hurt in the meantime.
Despite Nintendo handhelds being more popular everywhere than Japan, outside of the 3DS ? Reads more like a weird opinion than common sens to me.

Handhelds being more popular in Japan doesn't mean the Switch Lite was designed for it. Nintendo handhelds are popular in the US and Europe too. The NDS, the GBA and the GB sold more in EUR or the US than they sold in Japan. Nintendo sold most of their handhelds consoles in the US and in EUR, outside of the 3DS. Same for the Nintendo Switch. Nothing indicates the Switch Lite is aimed at Japan "specifcally", regardless of Japan market knowledge. The Switch Lite is designed for every market where handhelds are popular and where they sell : US, EUR and Japan.
Marketshare-wise, Nintendo handhelds are more popular in Japan than in the rest of the world. Switch Lite will be popular everywhere, but it should provide a bigger boost in Japan.

Top selling HW in Japan:
1. DS - 32,990,000
2. Gameboy - 32,470,000
3. 3DS - 25,180,000
4. PS2 - 21,454,325
5. PSP - 19,632,197
9. GBA - 16,960,000
13. Switch - 8,230,000

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's interesting that they're doing a dragon quest special edition of the regular switch, I thought at first it may be to deplete stock to make way for the replacement but that doesn't seem to be the case.
No, it looks like the OG Switch will.live alongside the new lite Switch.

I wonder if the OG will see a price drop to 25k yen, too. It should be feasible in terms of cost to do so, considering they can make a Switch lite for 20k yen.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe we'll get only one Switch Lite LE this year.
Luigi's Mansion 3 should get one as well. Or a late Mario Maker 2 one.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Marketshare-wise, Nintendo handhelds are more popular in Japan than in the rest of the world. Switch Lite will be popular everywhere, but it should provide a bigger boost in Japan.

Top selling HW in Japan:
1. DS - 32,990,000
2. Gameboy - 32,470,000
3. 3DS - 25,180,000
4. PS2 - 21,454,325
5. PSP - 19,632,197
9. GBA - 16,960,000
13. Switch - 8,230,000
You're right, I wasn't thinking straight back there. Sorry!

Jan 2, 2018
Yes ? I never said the opposite. Facts are : GB/GBC and NDS sold better in the US than in Japan. They also sold better in Europe than in Japan. The situation is the same for the Nintendo Switch. Nintendo has strictly no reasons to designed a Nintendo Switch Lite specifcally for Japan when Nintendo handhelds have been more popular elsewhere (in sheer numbers).

If you can sell 8m Switch Lite in Japan and 10m in the US, why would you design your console for Japan first ? It doesn't matter what country is the most handhelds focused, what matters is the numbers of consoles sold at the end of the day. That's what I would call actual common sens.

I don't think Nintendo designed the Lite with the mindset "Japan first", but I argue that Japan has an audience that's more interested in a handheld-only Switch.

To the other point, I misunderstood you. Yes, in raw numbers those consoles sold more in the US, in the largest market for video games.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think the market will decide otherwise, Japan and worldwide. You can't beat that 100$ cut and better form-factor argument.
That's actually why I think the OG model should drop to 25k yen: so that it can maintain its position as a more feature complete version without a 10k yen difference in price. A 5k yen difference should make it a bit more attractive in comparison to the Lite sku.

Oct 25, 2017
"what proof is there that japan, the market where 3DS outperformed the PS4 3:1, likes handhelds??"
Not sure, gotta look into it some more.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I have a b
Are you expecting 100k+ weeks for the majority of the year post Lite launch pending supply?

I think this drastically improves 2020's chances of being the biggest Switch year in Japan as well.
I expect huge holidays and higher baseline for the rest of the year.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
"what proof is there that japan, the market where 3DS outperformed the PS4 3:1, likes handhelds??"
Not sure, gotta look into it some more.
That's not really his argument. His argument is that Switch is already seen as a handheld and therefore Lite won't raise the baseline all that significantly. Which I think is still incorrect since we know that 3DS faltered massively at 25k yen but succeeded massively at 15k yen, showing that the price majorly influence sales numbers.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017

The US and Europe are comparatively larger markets though. Japan pulls a higher market share for Nintendo handhelds than any other videogame console. Look at the 3DS for a super clear example of that. Even the DS, which was a monster worldwide, had ~20% of its sales come from Japan.

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017

Do you realize that Japan is a single country that only have less than half the population than the United States and Europe with is collection of like 20 plus countries right with a total population exceeding 400 million people.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
Do you realize that Japan is a single country that only have less than half the population than the United States and Europe with is collection of like 20 plus countries right with a total population exceeding 400 million people.

I never said Japan wasn't important. Maybe read what I wrote before jumping to your gun ?

Outside of weird assumptions, nothing indicates the Switch Lite was designed "spefically" for Japan, period.

The US and Europe are comparatively larger markets though. Japan pulls a higher market share for Nintendo handhelds than any other videogame console. Look at the 3DS for a super clear example of that. Even the DS, which was a monster worldwide, had ~20% of its sales come from Japan.

I agree on everything, but that still doesn't mean Switch Lite is aimed at Japan particularly, in comparison to US or EUR.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe we're now arguing whether a 10k yen price cut and new form factor will raise the baseline of a system significantly. Especially one whose success has been limited because of price and form factor specifically for years.

Anyways. Didn't expect to see the Switch increase to 75k this week, would've expected that last week if anything. SMM2 second week drop is pretty good and should remain pretty stable after next week. I'm interested to see how the Switch's weekly sales are affected by the Lite announcement. I do think there is still a market for the OG Switch since it has features that the Lite doesn't, so that's probably why Nintendo felt safe enough to announce it this far out.

I do think it's interesting how Switch's upcoming lineup reflects 3DS 2013 as well.
Link's Awakening = A Link Between Worlds
Luigi's Mansion 3 = Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Pokemon Sword/Shield = Pokemon X/Y
Fire Emblem: Three Houses = Fire Emblem Awakening (2013 in the west)
Yokai Watch 4 = Yokai Watch
Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission = Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission
Dragon Quest XIS = Dragon Quest VII
Animal Crossing: New Horizons = Animal Crossing: New Leaf (2013 in the west)

It really seems like Nintendo waited to release new mainline entries in some of their more handheld-oriented series (2D Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and AC especially) to coincide with the revision. The 3DS XL launched a year prior in 2012, alongside titles like NSMB2 (which could be equated to Super Mario Maker 2 now), Kid Icarus Uprising, Resident Evil Revelations, Paper Mario Sticker Star, as well as Fire Emblem Awakening, Bravely Default, and AC New Leaf in Japan.

Personally I think Nintendo will strike gold with the Switch Lite, and like the 3DS XL I see it becoming the more popular version, in Japan anyway. In the west I think the OG Switch will reign supreme except maybe in the holiday period.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
If Animal Crossing wasn't delayed, Switch would have chances to take the crown of best selling December from 3DS.

With the big December game missing it's still a possibility but a small one, Pokemon alone can't do the carrying.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
Damn, I forgot about that sweet Animal Crossing + Switch Lite combo. If this isn't massive, I'm lost.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think Nintendo will strike gold with the Switch Lite, and like the 3DS XL I see it becoming the more popular version, in Japan anyway. In the west I think the OG Switch will reign supreme except maybe in the holiday period.
That's what should happen. After holidays, OG Switch will become the leading SKU again at west.

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reason why Nintendo chose the color it did for the Switch Lite? Why Yellow, Turquoise and Gray? Do the colors mean anything in Japan like the Neon Red and Neon Blue Joy-Cons with the original Switch?

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I think Switch Lite is more important for Japan than for the US. I think the percentage of Switch Lite in Switch sales will be bigger in Japan than in the US.

If Switch Lite count for 50% of Switch sales in Japan, but only for 20% of Switch sales in the US, Switch Lite could sell more in Japan.

And I think the opposite is true for Switch "Pro", which can even be bigger in Europe than in Japan.

I wonder if the OG will see a price drop to 25k yen, too. It should be feasible in terms of cost to do so, considering they can make a Switch lite for 20k yen.
Switch Lite has:
  • No dock.
  • No joy-cons grip.
  • No HD rumble.
  • No IR camera.
  • Built-in controls.
And it's smaller. So I doubt the price difference between the two Switch is only 50k yens.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
I hope Famitsu splits the original Switch and the Lite in their hardware sales. They are doing it recently for other systems, but they are weird sometimes.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any reason why Nintendo chose the color it did for the Switch Lite? Why Yellow, Turquoise and Gray? Do the colors mean anything in Japan like the Neon Red and Neon Blue Joy-Cons with the original Switch?
Maybe they're saving the other colors for special editions (I'm not looking to buy a Lite right now, but if the inevitable [in my mind] Link's Awakening Switch Lite is a cool shade of green with awesome Zelda decals... SOLD)

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Seems pretty big for a port, isnt it?

It is because it is not a port :p

But yeah, it is getting a big push and I hope it'll pay.

Chris1964 Puzzle & Dragons Gold was announced today for Switch with a Winter release window, what's the potential of the franchise right now and could it be a notable holiday release ?

Last edited:

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Switch Lite has a price advantage against the Switch but the Switch is undoubtably a better version. I don't think it will be outsold by the lite version at all. Now if a pro model comes out too then both Switch and pro will handily outsell the light version. There are a lot of A class games on Switch that benefit from a larger screen.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
The fuck happen to Switch sales lol
those are some good sales
Attack on Titan down a lot compared to the previus entry...

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey I just realized that Level 5 has actually ended up with a game launching alongside the Switch Lite.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
That's actually why I think the OG model should drop to 25k yen: so that it can maintain its position as a more feature complete version without a 10k yen difference in price. A 5k yen difference should make it a bit more attractive in comparison to the Lite sku.

A price cut like that makes the lite look like a terrible deal IMO. I really thought the original model was getting a price cut this year but can't see it now. Makes me wonder if we'll see a regular switch SKU retailing for less than $299 in the near future or even at all. Feel like the pro will just be a way to kee the price high.

I think the lite will sell wel but I don't like that it's potentially holding back the original model from moving on price.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
Amazon JP usually starts new preorder at 9am right? I want to camp at the right time to snatch that Pokemon Switch Lite on Friday lol.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
This thread: PS4 should get a price cut to raise its baseline.

Also this thread: A 33% cheaper model won't raise Switch's baseline.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy

I agree Japan will see a bigger boost but it's not only about portability, it's also about what market is more price sensitive.

It is more an expended release than a new entry. Owners of Attack on Titan 2 can buy the expansion directly.

So numbers are pretty good overall imo.

Oh alright good to know.

I hope Famitsu splits the original Switch and the Lite in their hardware sales. They are doing it recently for other systems, but they are weird sometimes.

"some times" ?

Oct 25, 2017
AoT is actually a pretty cool game. Looks and runs like butt when it launched. Not sure if Koei tecmo went to improve it with the DLC.
Seems to be doing fine since it's not really marketed as a 3rd/new entry

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Wow those are good Switch hardware numbers but yikes at PS4 hardware. Is it going to sell below 10k for the rest of the year except when it gets medium and large games? Also I feel like Yokai Watch won't reach to 300k

I do wonder if Switch sales will decrease over time now after the Lite announcement

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland

Its almost like entire continents(aka NA/Europe) are bigger markets than one singluar country...
Yes DS etc sold better in Europe than in Japan( about twice as much), but Europe also has a population that is 6-7 times bigger than the one in japan.

Comparative to market size, there is no place on earth were Handhelds are as popular than Japan.

Is it really that hard to get that a handheld only revision might be designed for the country where handhelds are king.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I can't believe we're now arguing whether a 10k yen price cut and new form factor will raise the baseline of a system significantly. Especially one whose success has been limited because of price and form factor specifically for years.

Anyways. Didn't expect to see the Switch increase to 75k this week, would've expected that last week if anything. SMM2 second week drop is pretty good and should remain pretty stable after next week. I'm interested to see how the Switch's weekly sales are affected by the Lite announcement. I do think there is still a market for the OG Switch since it has features that the Lite doesn't, so that's probably why Nintendo felt safe enough to announce it this far out.

I do think it's interesting how Switch's upcoming lineup reflects 3DS 2013 as well.
Link's Awakening = A Link Between Worlds
Luigi's Mansion 3 = Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Pokemon Sword/Shield = Pokemon X/Y
Fire Emblem: Three Houses = Fire Emblem Awakening (2013 in the west)
Yokai Watch 4 = Yokai Watch
Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission = Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission
Dragon Quest XIS = Dragon Quest VII
Animal Crossing: New Horizons = Animal Crossing: New Leaf (2013 in the west)

It really seems like Nintendo waited to release new mainline entries in some of their more handheld-oriented series (2D Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and AC especially) to coincide with the revision. The 3DS XL launched a year prior in 2012, alongside titles like NSMB2 (which could be equated to Super Mario Maker 2 now), Kid Icarus Uprising, Resident Evil Revelations, Paper Mario Sticker Star, as well as Fire Emblem Awakening, Bravely Default, and AC New Leaf in Japan.

2019 is definitively looking to be to switch what 2013 was to 3DS, even the Lite release shortly before the new Generation of Pokemon lines up with XY getting the 2DS goodness, even if Switch Lite is not yet quite as cheap.

But think of the Future, a Switch Lite being priced with a game for 120-150 at Holiday 2020 could be a bombshell.