• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah but if you exclude

Fire Emblem, I mean, it's niche, it doesn't matter

Marvel isn't a Nintendo game

DQB2 in the west? Irrelevant

Mario Maker 2? An enhanced port

Astral Chain is the usual filler that won't reach 500k WW

Daemon X Machina is bad

Animal Crossing was delayed to 2020

Pokémon is not made by Nintendo

Luigi doesn't even have a date yet

Nintendo rarely makes games.
I'm taking the bait.
GTA V may not have been a brand new game when it launched on current-gen platforms, but it prints Take-Two an astronomal amount of money, so they don't care. Same goes for Nintendo. It's about revenue and hardware sales, and they get that this way.

chibi_robo

Dec 4, 2018
Yeah but if you exclude

Daemon X Machina is bad

wtf lol

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but if you exclude

Daemon X Machina is bad

It's sad that I've actually seen this being said and not as a joke lol

JustALurker

Feb 12, 2019
I know this is looking far ahead but why do people think that Ni No Kuni won't do well when it launches? It has the benefit of launching on NSW + PS4 and it's coming out a few weeks after the movie. Wouldn't the movie help boost game sales in Japan?

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but if you exclude

Daemon X Machina is bad

I think i've seen almost all of them, but Fire Emblem being niche when the two latest games have sold over 500k in Japan? Or is that an arguement for the western sales?

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
With Switch and Switch Lite everything is setup for a strong Monster Hunter-type titles to be released on Switch. I think by next fall we will have at least two mayor players who will try there luck with new Action-Hunting type games on Switch. Expect Square Enix to be one of them.

MH "clones" from Japan really dried up a few years ago. There is GodEater and Project Awakening by Cygames but that's basically it right now. Personally I would like to see a new single player focused Phantasy Star "Online" game and Nintendos own interpretation of the genre. With Platinums expertise in action games, it's really surprising they haven't produced a "hunting" game yet.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Wow, how long is that promo lasting? Sony promos only lasted a few weeks or maybe a month so that's where I expected for this case. Is this a full summer promo?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, how long is that promo lasting? Sony promos only lasted a few weeks or maybe a month so that's where I expected for this case. Is this a full summer promo?

I think they've been doing similar promos in Europe too. No idea how long they will last but they've been going for a while.

It's probably a way for them to both keep up momentum of the base Switch despite the Lite announcement and get rid of the stock of the old Switches that are being replaced with a newer version later this year.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I think they've been doing similar promos in Europe too. No idea how long they will last but they've been going for a while.

It's probably a way for them to both keep up momentum of the base Switch despite the Lite announcement and get rid of the stock of the old Switches that are being replaced with a newer version later this year.

They have been more aggressive this whole year in terms of marketing/deals compared to last year.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017

In the official site it says limited promotion that will last until they run out of coupons.
It always seemed a summer promotion to me, I think at least it will last until the last day of Obon (18th of August).

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
First Day Sell-through {2019.07.11}

[NSW] God Eater 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.800) - 40%

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Media Create Sales: Week 27, 2019 (Jul 01 - Jul 07)

01./01. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.06.28} (¥5.980)
02./00. [PS4] Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2019.07.02} (¥4.200)
03./03. [NSW] Yo-kai Watch 4: We Are Looking Up at the Same Sky <RPG> (Level 5) {2019.06.20} (¥5.980)
04./02. [NSW] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball <SPT> (Konami) {2019.06.27} (¥6.980)
05./00. [NSW] Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2019.07.04} (¥7.800)
06./00. [PS4] Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2019.07.04} (¥7.800)
07./07. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980)
08./06. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200)
09./00. [NSW] Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980)
10./00. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980)

Top 10

NSW - 8
PS4 - 2

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Nintendo eShop Sales: July 4th to July 10th, 2019

Nintendo eShop – Nintendo Switch

01./New. – Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Nintendo) [26.7.2019]

02./01. – Super Mario Maker 2 (Nintendo) [28.6.2019]
03./05. – Human: Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) [28.12.2017]
04./12. – Sky Ride (Mutan) [24.8.2017] (currently on sale)
05./09. – Futari de! Nyanko Dai Sensou! (Ponos) [20.12.2018]
06./03. – Super Mario Maker 2 Limited Edition (Nintendo) [28.6.2019]
07./06. – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo) [07.12.2018]
08./New. – PixARK (Spike-Chunsoft) [04.7.2019]
09./11. – Minecraft (Mojang / Microsoft Japan) [21.6.2018]
10./10. – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
11./00. – Overcooked! Special Edition (Team17) [12.10.2017] (currently on sale)
12./13. – Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) [28.04.2017]
13./02. – Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu (Konami) [27.6.2019]
14./07. – Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the Necrodancer feat. The Legend of Zelda (Spike-Chunsoft) [14.6.2019]
15./14. – Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) [21.07.2017]
16./New. – God Eater 3 (Bandai-Namco) [11.7.2019]
17./15. – Cuphead (StudioMDHR) [18.4.2019]
18./New. – Fire Emblem: Three Houses + Expansion Pass (Nintendo) [26.7.2019]
19./04. – Yo-kai Watch 4 (Level-5) [20.6.2019] (pre-purchase and launch discount)
20./00. – Stardew Valley (Chucklefish) [11.1.2018]

Nintendo eShop – Nintendo 3DS

01./00. – Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns (Marvelous) [23.6.2016] (currently on sale)
02./01. – The Battle Cats POP! (Ponos) [31.5.2015]
03./02. – Pokémon Crystal Version (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [26.1.2018]
04./03. – Dragon Quest III (Square-Enix) [24.8.2017]
05./00. – Story of Seasons (Marvelous) [24.7.2014] (currently on sale)
06./04. – Adventure Bar Story (Rideon Japan) [25.6.2014] (was on sale)
07./05. – Mercenary Saga 3 (Rideon Japan) [05.10.2016] (was on sale)
08./06. – Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS (Microsoft Japan) [14.9.2017]
09./00. – Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning (Marvelous) [28.3.2013] (currently on sale)
10./00. – Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns+ (Marvelous) [14.12.2017] (currently on sale)

Last edited:

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Legs happen through used market and digital sales which are both more significant on the PS4 than on the Switch.

Neither used sales nor digital sales are very different on Switch and PS4.

It's just a pity that we don't have much reliable digital sales data for Switch. Especially now with the Voucher and eShop coupons, that will probably have (had) an impact on physical sales of many of the games this year.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Wii U ports are big sellers.
They publish a ton each year, at least one retail game a month on average. They might have missed a month or two earlier this year, but in the span of a month they have Mario Maker, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Fire Emblem, and they're publishing DQB2 in the west
And between January and late June, they only had New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, Yoshi's Crafted World and Labo VR Kit. The fact that they have two games by month between July and November don't mean they had one game by month before that.

About Wii U ports, it depends. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, but Bayonetta is the second worst selling Switch game published by Nintendo in Japan (only Sushi Strikers did worst) and if Pokken, Donkey Kong Country and Captain Toad did fine for remastered, their numbers aren't amazing.

Really, one major release by quarter is the more accurate description of how Nintendo works:
Q1 2017: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Q2 2017: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Q3 2017: Splatoon 2
Q4 2017: Super Mario Odyssey
Q1 2018: Kirby Star Allies
Q2 2018: Mario Tennis Aces
Q3 2018: /
Q4 2018: Super Mario Party, Pokémon Let's Go and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Q1 2019: New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Q2 2019: Super Mario Maker 2

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
About Wii U ports, it depends. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, but Bayonetta is the second worst selling Switch game published by Nintendo in Japan (only Sushi Strikers did worst) and if Pokken, Donkey Kong Country and Captain Toad did fine for remastered, their numbers aren't amazing.

Pokkén did amazing. It sold over 300k units. As a remaster it vastly outsold the original. Same for Donkey Kong Country, which doubled the original's sales. Captain Toad also sold pretty well considering it was also releasing on 3DS. Such games are also long sellers so watch keep them selling.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I'm lost, what's the point of this argument? Is it legs don't matter? Sony releases more games than Nintendo? Nintendo doesn't release enough games? Legs don't matter? Sorry, having trouble following.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Neither used sales nor digital sales are very different on Switch and PS4.

It's just a pity that we don't have much reliable digital sales data for Switch. Especially now with the Voucher and eShop coupons, that will probably have (had) an impact on physical sales of many of the games this year.
You can see this clearly happened this week - Switch is up from last week significantly, yet (contrary to all similar cases in the past) nearly all evergreens are down from last week, and the few that are up are by single digit percentage. There is no sensible explanation for this except the vouchers and the digital offer.

Last edited:

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
This about what this voucher lets you do... You can get a Switch, and then get the 2 game ticket for the cost of 7000¥ which is about the price of a single game after tax. It's really a good and tempting deal.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Pokkén did amazing. It sold over 300k units. As a remaster it vastly outsold the original. Same for Donkey Kong Country, which doubled the original's sales. Captain Toad also sold pretty well considering it was also releasing on 3DS. Such games are also long sellers so watch keep them selling.
They all did amazingly well for a remaster and for a Pokken/Donkey Kong/Captain Toad game, but they're small in comparison to Nintendo bigger franchises.

I'm lost, what's the point of this argument? Is it legs don't matter? Sony releases more games than Nintendo? Nintendo doesn't release enough games? Legs don't matter? Sorry, having trouble following.
There is more new releases that sell more than 200k on PlayStation 4 (7 since the beginning of the year) than on Switch (currently only one, New Super Mario Bros U. Deluxe, but Super Mario Maker 2 and Yokai-Watch 2 will do more than that), so it's normal than games have less legs on PlayStation 4 than on Switch.

It's just two different markets. On PlayStation 4, games sell well, but in a short time, at least in physical (I think most sales after the first two/three months are in digital). On Switch, there is more games that continue to sell for years, sometimes for an entire generation. But it doesn't mean a market is better than another, especially for third party publishers.

Kriegshand

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think Nintendo has a a Q&A for last quarter which means they won't share first week ww sales for Fire Emblem.

Switch doesn't look to have been affected a lot from Lite announcement, the big slowdown should happen in September.

Yup, next meeting is in October, but we'll have data via the million-sellers list then.

Maybe if the game really does well we'll get a PR or even a celebration tweet, but not counting on that. Been a while since Nintendo last paraded sales data.

The next IR-Event is on July 30th. There will be a presentation by the president and an Q&A as always. There is a chance that Fire Emblem numbers are talked about in the presentation although they are not part of the reported quarter. Nintendo also did this for Mario Odyssey.

oracion

Jan 7, 2018
Tokyo
The next IR-Event is on July 30th. There will be a presentation by the president and an Q&A as always. There is a chance that Fire Emblem numbers are talked about in the presentation although they are not part of the reported quarter. Nintendo also did this for Mario Odyssey.
Nintendo doesn't explain April-June quarter as always.Earnings release only.

dKtD37x.jpg

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Really, one major release by quarter is the more accurate description of how Nintendo works:
Q1 2017: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Q2 2017: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Q3 2017: Splatoon 2
Q4 2017: Super Mario Odyssey
Q1 2018: Kirby Star Allies
Q2 2018: Mario Tennis Aces
Q3 2018: /
Q4 2018: Super Mario Party, Pokémon Let's Go and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Q1 2019: New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Q2 2019: Super Mario Maker 2
Why would you put Mario Tennis there but not Arms or 1-2 Switch ?

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
They all did amazingly well for a remaster and for a Pokken/Donkey Kong/Captain Toad game, but they're small in comparison to Nintendo bigger franchises.

Every single IP is small compared to Nintendo bigger franchises which are the biggest franchises in Japan nowadays.

Selling 300k+ units is still an amazing result especially when such result is achieved by a remaster. Not all games can sell 1m+ units. There exist filler games and their sales are perfectly fine.

Was Yoshi doing these numbers expected? It's kinda bad no, especially as compared to a relatively low effort Kirby which still sold a lot.

Kirby is the biggest Nintendo IP in Japan outside Mario, Smash, Splatoon and Pokémon. Yoshi tend to sell well but I agree its performance is nothing special. Woolly World sold way more in Western markets (relatively to other games) so that might be the case too. I think Yoshi suffered too much competition from Mario and Kirby, though. I would put it at the end of the year but Nintendo had to move Fire Emblem so they needed to fill the Spring gap.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There is more new releases that sell more than 200k on PlayStation 4 (7 since the beginning of the year) than on Switch (currently only one, New Super Mario Bros U. Deluxe, but Super Mario Maker 2 and Yokai-Watch 2 will do more than that), so it's normal than games have less legs on PlayStation 4 than on Switch.

It's just two different markets. On PlayStation 4, games sell well, but in a short time, at least in physical (I think most sales after the first two/three months are in digital). On Switch, there is more games that continue to sell for years, sometimes for an entire generation. But it doesn't mean a market is better than another, especially for third party publishers.

That's because all of PS4's big releases were concentrated in the one quarter. Switch will almost certainly end up with more games selling 200k+ by the end of year which won't stop the legs of older games.

PS4 hasn't had a "big" release since Days Gone but legs are pretty much nonexistent for everything released earlier so it's not just newer games stopping legs on PS4.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I just realized, is Nintendo going to make an official Pokemon console bundle?

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

SMM2 and YW4 are already over 200k :>

PS4 was very frontloaded this year with a ton of heavy hitters, with the Switch it's vice versa.

In the end of the year we're probably looking at a tie of 200k sellers and a sounding victory for the Switch 500k+ sellers.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Why would you put Mario Tennis there but not Arms or 1-2 Switch ?

Because I probably shouldn't have included Mario Tennis ha ha ha. It did less than all other major releases from Nintendo (it is below 500k, Kirby at 800k and all others games are at 1M+).

2018 was a strange year, because Nintendo released only one game which has sold more than 500k between January and September (Kirby Star Allies, in March) and then three million sellers in three months (Super Mario Party, Pokémon Let's Go and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate). 2019 is more like 2017, even if we have two million sellers in Q4 (Luigi's Mansion 3 and Pokémon Sword & Shield) and I don't know how to count Link's Awakening and Fire Emblem Three Houses (will they sell more than 500k in Japan LTD? Will Link's Awakening be a million seller in Japan alone?).

You're right, sorry. I used Game Data Library, which hasn't added last week sales.

In the end of the year we're probably looking at a tie of 200k sellers and a sounding victory for the Switch 500k+ sellers.

I don't know for the first part (the tie for 200k sellers), but it will be interesting to see. How much 200k sellers had Switch and PlayStation 4 in 2018?

Last edited:

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Are million sellers the only games considered major releases now?

Was Yoshi doing these numbers expected? It's kinda bad no, especially as compared to a relatively low effort Kirby which still sold a lot.

It's certainly not an outstanding result but compared to Woolly World, which sold ~100k on Wii U and ~150k on 3DS, it's doing well. It could even outsell both versions combined in the long run, and in the process also outsell Yoshi's New Island (~250k). We'll just have to see how its legs hold up throughout the year. I think it will do quite well during the holidays.

How GOD EATER 3 sold on PS4/Vita?

It didn't have a Vita version, but according to Game Data Library it sold roughly 250k on the PS4.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Are million sellers the only games considered major releases now?

It's certainly not an outstanding result but compared to Woolly World, which sold ~100k on Wii U and ~150k on 3DS, it's doing well. It could even outsell both versions combined in the long run, and in the process also outsell Yoshi's New Island (~250k). We'll just have to see how its legs hold up throughout the year. I think it will do quite well during the holidays.

It didn't have a Vita version, but according to Game Data Library it sold roughly 250k on the PS4.

GDL includes Famitsu digital asstimates for LTDs. IIRC, the latest update on its LTD had it at around 210k, I'll check later.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland

PS4 was very frontloaded this year with a ton of heavy hitters, with the Switch it's vice versa.

PS4 hasn't had a "big" release since Days Gone but legs are pretty much nonexistent for everything released earlier so it's not just newer games stopping legs on PS4.
No, it's that you have more choices on PlayStation 4. If you buy a PlayStation 4 nkw and want a Call of Duty, you have the choice between seven games. If you buy a Switch now and want a multiplayer shooter, you have Splatoon 2 and that's all.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Only 8 out of 10 spots in the top 10? The decline continues...

Edit: Sword > Shield in the ranking, all is right in Japan.

Not that it should matter for total sales but this time they have screwed up with the Sword/Shield naming. Sword will likely outsell Shield by a huge margin. I mean come on Sword wolf >>>>> shield wolf.

I have pre-ordered Shield because I am an idiot and I feel bad for shield wolf. Also it will probably easier to get the missing Pokémon when everyone has Sword.