• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
So in Japan, there's an in-store event similar to the one for the final Splatfest for Splatoon. You can post messages of support for each team if you go at specific store, and you can get some postcards if you buy Nintendo Switch or Splatoon 2 related stuff.

The stores participating:

• Team Chaos: Joshin, Tsutaya, Yamada Denki, Yodobashi Camera
  • Team Order: Eon, Edion, Toys 'R' Us, Geo, Bic Camera
00001671_01.jpg

00001671_02.jpg

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Media Create could give first week pre-orders if public data didn't go down. Nintendo would also do if there was a Q&A at the end of month but unfortunately there isn't.

In the end we'll have to wait a few weeks to get a good idea. Let's Go will be the game that will be directly compared.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So in Japan, there's an in-store event similar to the one for the final Splatfest for Splatoon. You can post messages of support for each team if you go at specific store, and you can get some postcards if you buy Nintendo Switch or Splatoon 2 related stuff.

00001671_01.jpg

00001671_02.jpg

retailer wars. that's quite the ad campaign

Oct 25, 2017

00001671_01.jpg

00001671_02.jpg

Let the war begin.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Media Create could give first week pre-orders if public data didn't go down. Nintendo would also do if there was a Q&A at the end of month but unfortunately there isn't.

In the end we'll have to wait a few weeks to get a good idea. Let's Go will be the game that will be directly compared.
Thanks as always Chris.

Could the blog leak the numbers ?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have seen people posting this about the lack of advertisement for GE3 Switch but did they do a huge marketing push for the PS4/PC versions?

I remember the game getting a demo, same as the switch versión, youtube vídeos and little more.

They didn't do a huge marketing push but still notably bigger than for the Switch version.

In Japan it has TVCMs for a start and they had hands on events, multiple streams.

As far as I can there haven't even been previews or review codes for the Switch version.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
After that the ball was lost.

Was the ball even there to begin with?

Dengeki gave market split for first half or 2019 (Jan-Jun)

Switch - 62,4%
PS4 - 32,8%
3DS+PSV+XB1 - 4,8%

With Lite launch and the upcoming software, Switch will end with 70-80% of the market for full year.

Actually, that's Q1 of Fiscal Year (so April to June). I just checked, and for some reason GT turned 4~6月 into (January to June) when you input the full sentence.

The baseball 2019 should leak too.
(No chance for God Eater 3 though)

Right, I keep forgetting that damn baseball game isn't out yet xD

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Dengeki:

Week 27

Attack on Titan 2 FB sold 19.7% of what the original sold at launch.

Q1 FY 2018-19 (April to June)
  • Hardware: 180 000 units sold (-14.1%) / 24.1 billion Yen (-9%)
  • Software: 3 590 000 units (-21%) / 22.1 billion Yen (-27.2%)
  • Total: 46.2 billion Yen (18.7%)

Lowest the market has been in 10 years.

Chris already posted the market share bit. Though Dengeki is wondering if Switch Lite will be able to carve its own "niche" in this home console dominated market.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dengeki:

Week 27

Attack on Titan 2 FB sold 19.7% of what the original sold at launch.

Q1 FY 2018-19 (April to June)
  • Hardware: 180 000 units sold (-14.1%) / 24.1 billion Yen (-9%)
  • Software: 3 590 000 units (-21%) / 22.1 billion Yen (-27.2%)
  • Total: 46.2 billion Yen (18.7%)

Lowest the market has been in 10 years.

Chris already posted the market share bit. Though Dengeki is wondering if Switch Lite will be able to carve its own "niche" in this home console dominated market.

That seems like a weird twisted view/distinction.

If the Switch Lite sells better than PS4(and Xbox One lol) and the normal Switch sells at its current level is it really a home console dedicated market?

giphy.gif

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
For all trackers Switch is a home console. Will be fun to see what do they do from now on with the Lite. Split the hardware in two I guess. But software will probably still be tracked as home console.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
For all trackers Switch is a home console. Will be fun to see what do they do from now on with the Lite. Split the hardware in two I guess. But software will probably still be tracked as home console.
The distinction never made sense in the first place. Consoles are consoles.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I was wondering about this for NPD especially since the death of handhelds has been a long running industry narrative in that market.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

"Switch Lite has sold 10m hardware units but 100% of software sales are still generated by home consoles. We need to invest more in PS5 development!"

I was wondering about this for NPD especially since the death of handhelds has been a long running industry narrative in that market.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
God Eater 3 is getting commercials during late night anime, which would be the core of their target audience.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
Really interested in seeing how this title will do. I wonder if 100k+ LTD would be possible.
The demo changed my view of this game, so that while I hope it the best, I can't pin down my expectations. There are two things that this port has in its favor and two things it has going against it.

The good - It looks like 40-60% of the series fanbase didn't move over to the PS4, leaving a lot of potential. I also expect the Switch Lite to lift up all of traditionally handheld series, including this game, YW4, Fire Emblem and even Pokemon.

The bad - I think everyone is expecting a GE3 Burst early next year. They claimed that they weren't planning that before, but this is Bandai Namco [the other thing this port has against it ;) ]. For all we know they announce GE3 Burst next week as PS4 exclusive.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Now we have 3 categories:
1. The traditional/dedicated home console (ps4, XB1)
2. The traditional handheld (Vita, 3ds, switch lite)
3. The hybrid console (switch)

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Ain't it funny how in these threads there were arguments about whether the Switch was a home console or a handheld and that the Switch had to sell as much as the previous Nintendo home console and handheld combined otherwise it's a failure?

Now the Switch brand has both home console and handheld-only devices. Not much concern now regarding those two things.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Legs happen through used market and digital sales which are both more significant on the PS4 than on the Switch. And this has always been true so I'm not sure why you're just now choosing to be depressed about it.

GEO Stores said:
Second-hand software sales - Jan/Jun 2019

01. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
02. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
03. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: BOTW
05. [NSW] Splatoon 2
07. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
08. [NSW] Super Mario Party
10. [NSW] Monster Hunter Double Cross

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
To be fair he is probably correct about the Digital sales. We just don't have any reliable data on it.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
The demo changed my view of this game, so that while I hope it the best, I can't pin down my expectations. There are two things that this port has in its favor and two things it has going against it.

The good - It looks like 40-60% of the series fanbase didn't move over to the PS4, leaving a lot of potential. I also expect the Switch Lite to lift up all of traditionally handheld series, including this game, YW4, Fire Emblem and even Pokemon.

The bad - I think everyone is expecting a GE3 Burst early next year. They claimed that they weren't planning that before, but this is Bandai Namco [the other thing this port has against it ;) ]. For all we know they announce GE3 Burst next week as PS4 exclusive.

Sad thing is I could definitely see BN doing something like that, lol. After all they announced the Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 Deluxe Edition exclusively for PS4 soon after the Switch version released iirc, which funny enough had no impact on its sales.

I also think that the Switch Lite will likely result in a boost for all handheld-oriented series as you said. Pokemon especially should benefit since it's releasing after the Lite launches which gives it enough time for that audience to build up (on top of the foundation Let's Go built).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair he is probably correct about the Digital sales. We just don't have any reliable data on it.
At this point, with Western, Asian and used markets all going against preconceived notions of complete PS4 domination when data has come out, I don't think this is fair position.The benefit of the dought has squarely swing the other direction now and I'd wager Switch digital sales are also surprisingly competitive. Especially now with the voucher system.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
At this point, with Western, Asian and used markets all going against preconceived notions of complete PS4 domination when data has come out, I don't think this is fair position.The benefit of the dought has squarely swing the other direction now and I'd wager Switch digital sales are also surprisingly competitive. Especially now with the voucher system.

The voucher system may indeed swing things around but historically (in those few times a company will share a digital number) the share on Nintendo platforms seems lower than the PS4. But yeah, it's all speculation without any real data.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The voucher system may indeed swing things around but historically (in those few times a company will share a digital number) the share on Nintendo platforms seems lower than the PS4. But yeah, it's all speculation without any real data.
Historically doesn't mean much if it's reflecting Wii U and 3DS. Ask any indie dev.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
SE Needs to threaten to play hard ball with Sony in regards to FF14 at this point. Either allow cross play, or they'll just drop the PS4 version entirely and focus on PC (Their best market) and Switch/XB1. Unlike Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are completely dependant on third party sales to keep them relevant, so I dont know why they don't leverage that more.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
SE Needs to threaten to play hard ball with Sony in regards to FF14 at this point. Either allow cross play, or they'll just drop the PS4 version entirely and focus on PC (Their best market) and Switch/XB1. Unlike Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are completely dependant on third party sales to keep them relevant, so I dont know why they don't leverage that more.
Wasn't there a thread where they said xbox didn't allow communication with cross systems in crossplay, which would be impossible for an MMO?

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
How many games on average would fit on the switch?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
God Eater 3 is getting commercials during late night anime, which would be the core of their target audience.

I stand corrected I guess.

Its funny these comments back to back in a thread about it being out though: https://www.resetera.com/threads/co...on-the-switch-today-yay.128760/#post-22712023

That shows how in effective they have been.

They are doing free DLC updates over time so they might actually not do a Burst release.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

Yes but:
  • digital sales are not exclusive to Sony platforms;
  • legs on digital channels happen mostly because of promotions and discounts hence they rely on pre-existing userbase;
  • what are examples of PS4 games that had big legs on digital channels?
;)

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So Switch Lite Pokémon is still available on Amazon after more than a day. Seems like a large shipment for that sku, then (or no one is buying it, but that's unlikely)

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
How many games on average would fit on the switch?
Switch does not have mandatory installs of physical games so it is not a valid comparison.

Except in extreme cases, like the games with only half the game on the cart, you cannot be a physical only gamer and run out of space on a Switch, but you can on the PConsoles.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
There is another option, it is so far out that Amazon doesn't have a specific amount and so can keep orders open.