• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I thought it was later?

Did Toukiden release later? I might have got them mixed up.

Definitely a positive sign then, even if the overall result is still a little meh.

Nah, they both launched simultaneously on February 19th, 2015. Toukiden 2 was also a simultaneous release on July 28th, 2016. However, Toukiden Kiwami was a late port on PS4 (Vita version released August 2014, PS4 version was April 2015, so a comparable gap between GE3 PS4 and Switch).

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, they both launched simultaneously on February 19th, 2015. Toukiden 2 was also a simultaneous release on July 28th, 2016. However, Toukiden Kiwami was a late port on PS4 (Vita version released August 2014, PS4 version was April 2015, so a comparable gap between GE3 PS4 and Switch).

That must have been what I was thinking of.

Id say GE3 did better because unlike a lot of other late Bamco ports, there was already an audience built there with the previous release of MHXX.

Hopefully whatever is next, be it GE4 or a spinoff, releases day and date on Switch.

I'm not sure it's that specific. Sword Art Online seemed to do surprisingly well considering how old that games was(and it had a Vita version).

At this point I'm pretty inclined to say in general Switch definitely has an audience for Bamco's bread and butter teen focused anime games.

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
GE2:RB PS4 sold badly. It also looked like this on PS4 and was released on an userbase of 1.15M (some people always like to talk about userbase differences until it doesn't fit an specific narrative).

god-eater-2-rage-burst-wallpaper-5.jpg

30k on Switch would be an unremarkable debut but it's not like this result will decide if GE4 releases on Switch. If GE4 exists it will probably release day and date with other versions.

flohen95

Nov 4, 2017
GE2:RB PS4 sold badly. It also looked like this on PS4 and was released on an userbase of 1.15M (some people always like to talk about userbase differences until it doesn't fit an specific narrative).

30k on Switch would be an unremarkable debut but it's not like this result will decide if GE4 releases on Switch. If GE4 exists it will probably release day and date with other versions.

With Bandai Namco I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
God Eater is a series that sells nothing outside Japan. I have some overseas data for God Eater 3 and the game tanked ultra hard so for Bandai Namco's own sake we can almost surely bet unless they want to lose money that if there is a future God Eater entry it will be released simultaneously day one on Switch too.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
God Eater is a series that sells nothing outside Japan, I have some overseas data for God Eater 3 and the game tanked ultra hard so for Bandai Namco's own sake we can surely bet that if there is a future God Eater entry it will be released simultaneously day one on Switch too.
It failed to hit the top 40 individual formats and even the Switch top 20 the week it released in the UK lol, and that's in one of the slowest weeks of the year. That should mean it hardly did more than 100 units, if that. It's a bomba extraordinaire in the West.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure you will have ever seen me make that argument about anything other than the multi-million seller stuff.

In fact I copped a lot of flack for arguing that it wasn't a good sign if Nintendo platforms were relying purely on having a larger userbase when DQB2 came out and sold more on PS4.

dxspace

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure you will have ever seen me make that argument about anything other than the multi-million seller stuff.

In fact I copped a lot of flack for arguing that it wasn't a good sign if Nintendo platforms were relying purely on having a larger userbase when DQB2 came out and sold more on PS4.

The Switch outsold the PS4 long after DQB2 came out.

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
It failed to hit the top 40 individual formats and even the Switch top 20 the week it released in the UK lol, and that's in one of the slowest weeks of the year. That should mean it hardly did more than 100 units, if that. It's a bomba extraordinaire in the West.

My comment was regarding what it sold on PlayStation 4, although I admit that my comment may be seen bold as ridiculous as this can sound after what happened lately and also because gaming is one of the few business where companies make decisions that are blatantly detrimental to their own interests.

Last edited:

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019

Ah, I remember that thread. Was amusing to say the least.

But arguing installbases for a game that will launch sub 50k is also funny.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
My comment was regarding what it sold on PlayStation 4, although I admit that my comment may be seen bold as ridiculous as this can sound after what happened lately and also because gaming is one of the few business where companies make decisions that are detrimental to their own interests.
Oh, even the PS4 release was abysmal? Man, that's truly awful, then. The game must be hurting quite a bit now that it's Japanese sales have basically been halved.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
You're right that multiplatform would make sense for such game. BUT: Then the Switch would be excluded again, because do you really think Capcom would risk a single sale from people saying 'well, MHW2 isn't as good as the first one because the Switch held it back'? That's why I think any Switch MH needs to be exvlusive. And It's why I don't expect any 'high profile' release, quality-wise. :(
I understand. A "portable" version could still be a high profile release though, also quality wise. For example, it was a very big deal when MHP3rd released, and its the best selling MH game so far by a good margin (as far as Japan goes at least). Its a good quality release. If Capcom brings such type a MH game to the Switch, it will be seen as a big deal and good support.

Yeah, i dont think Capcom will include the Switch version if that means that the other versions will be compromised because of that. But who knows what they will do in terms of multiplatform for MH going forward, only time will tell :)

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
First a God Eater 4 must exist.

Code Vein is the next game they seem to expect a lot.

Elma4Smash

Banned
Jul 15, 2019
Honestly, after playing the demo of GE3 ... it's just not a very good game. Moving your character feels cheap, like in many of these cheap anime game efforts like the SAO-games. Now sales might not always be tied to quality, but when I compare GE3 to MH (any of them, not just World), it's obvious to me why it's not a big seller. I love GE3's aesthetics, and it surely has a better story and more engaging characters than MH. But when the base quality isn't there, people won't flock to it.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
While I'm sure it won't chart in the July NPD charts, and it may possibly end up being an overall bomba in the West, you simply can't say that just based on the UK. Selling super badly in the UK does not mean "bomba extraordinaire in the West".

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, after playing the demo of GE3 ... it's just not a very good game. Moving your character feels cheap, like in many of these cheap anime game efforts like the SAO-games. Now sales might not always be tied to quality, but when I compare GE3 to MH (any of them, not just World), it's obvious to me why it's not a big seller. I love GE3's aesthetics, and it surely has a better story and more engaging characters than MH. But when the base quality isn't there, people won't flock to it.

It's definitely not as good as Monster Hunter.

I always laughed when people were claiming GE2/Toukiden/Soul Sacrifice/Freedom Wars were all superior to MonHun.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I agree the weekly « but the west! » or « It's all about Asia » crowd is awfully silent

Let's avoid painting wide brushes about the sales talk here, because it quite obviously goes both ways

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I agree the weekly « but the west! » or « It's all about Asia » crowd is awfully silent

Let's avoid painting wide brushes about the sales talk here, because it quite obviously goes both ways

That has nothing to do with the topic at hand. And there's no both ways here, no need to take it personal.

People were doing comparisons with two games and missing relevant information in this specific case, when there have been plenty of times where people have been quick to point it out similar comparisons with much smaller userbase differences.

I have zero interest in "taking sides" here. You can see it if you read my full post again.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
That has nothing to do with the topic at hand. And there's no both ways here, no need to take it personal.

People were doing comparisons with two games and missing relevant information in this specific case, when there have been plenty of times where people have been quick to point it out similar comparisons with much smaller userbase differences.

I have zero interest in "taking sides" here. You can see it if you read my full post again.
You brought up the « when it doesn't suit them people forget about userbases » and what I'm telling you is that it's a line brought up against Switch support more than in favor of it to justify ones line of thoughts.

I don't think GE underperforming has as much to do with userbase as with the game's reputation proper

I mean to follow up on why you said Burst could have underperformed, MHXX sold upwards of 300k and that's an upresed 3DS game

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I guess when the Switch is outselling PS4 software 2 to 1 and PS4 hardware 6 to 1, a late port of GE3 selling 30k is the current straw to grasp onto.

I agree it's underwhelming. But not really surprising.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017

I remembered that episode a bit differently, so I looked it up in the archives. You were getting flack for your argument, but userbase size was the least of your problems. ;)

LOL... I happened to spot you in the archives, too. You were defending the PS4 about GE3 poor sales by claiming it look like a Vita game. At least you're consistent.

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
30k is shit for God Eater 3. But Bamco is shit for launching this fucking half a year later as per their usual late to Switch bullshit so why would anyone care about this under performance? The West wont save this because no one gives a fuck about God Eater here and in a H2 as packed as the Switch has, who wants to waste money on this bullshit? There are a million better options out there at this point.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

I don't remember you making that argument in regards to DQB2, I do remember you saying that the Switch version should have done substantially better than the PS4 version because the Dragon Quest audience had been nurtured on Nintendo platforms. That's what you were getting slack for.

Also this when DQB2 legged past the PS4 version:

My point will still stand six weeks from now, and six months from now because the gap is never going to be substantial between the two SKUs.

The switch is about 30,000 more than the PS4 SKU right now and I know you later clarified that for you "substantial" means that Switch SKU must outsell the PS4 version 3 to 2. But this was back in the PS4 had a higher install base than the Switch so I am not sure what point you are making.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
I can see Namco saying "See? Our late port policy is working. That's why we didn't announce Tales of Arise and Dragon Ball RPG,etc for Switch yet. Wait and beg for them and you will see them later on".

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I wonder if Capcom had a meeting with Nintendo before the launch of the Switch Lite and asked Nintendo not to put any extra RAM in the hardware so they don't feel more pressure to support the system.

;)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Capcom had a meeting with Nintendo before the launch of the Switch Lite and asked Nintendo not to put any extra RAM in the hardware so they don't feel more pressure to support the system.

;)
I wonder if a cpu boost would even help a Monster Hunter World port

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017

;)
They begged Nintendo not to let it run RE5's title screen, but Nintendo was like, "Nah." Poor Capcom.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I wonder if a cpu boost would even help a Monster Hunter World port

Witcher 3 has proved that if Capcom really wanted Monster Hunter World on the Switch they could do it. It would probably look terrible and cost a lot of money to port, but they could do it if they really wanted to. CPU boost or no. They clearly don't have any desire to port it to the Switch.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
I think it's better for everyone's Mental Health to forget that Capcom is even supporting the Switch.

Better: Just consider that Nintendo is alone in the market and their games are competing with each other, because people are too reactive over 3rd party support, but there's nothing as good as a failure for teaching some lessons.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
If GE3 has good WOM it might have some legs and crawling past 100k.

The franchise is new to Nintendo platforms. GE2RB sold more on PS4 but PS4 likely had a lot of people coming from PSP and PSV where the audience was.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GEO stores: Week 28, 2019 (8 Jul - 14 Jul)

01./01. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.06.28} (¥5.980)
02./00. [NSW] God Eater 3 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.07.11} (¥6.800)
03./05. [NSW] Yo-kai Watch 4: We Are Looking Up at the Same Sky <RPG> (Level 5) {2019.06.20} (¥5.980)
04./04. [NSW] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball <SPT> (Konami) {2019.06.27} (¥6.980)
05./03. [PS4] Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2019.07.04} (¥7.800)
06./02. [NSW] Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2019.07.04} (¥7.800)
07./10. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World [Best Price] <ACT> (Capcom) {2018.08.02} (¥4.990)
08./09. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200)
09./14. [NSW] Minecraft <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600)
10./08. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980)

Top 10

NSW - 8
PS4 - 2

"Super Mario Maker 2 ranked 1st for 3 consecutive weeks. We have been maintaining strong sales since the release week.
God Eater 3 ranked in 2nd place. It has made a strong start despite the title was already released on PS4.
In addition, it is speculated that Switch titles are improving rankings because of the influence of Nintendo Switch Lite announcement and three days weekend holidays."
Looking good for GE3SW

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
I can see Namco saying "See? Our late port policy is working. That's why we didn't announce Tales of Arise and Dragon Ball RPG,etc for Switch yet. Wait and beg for them and you will see them later on".
Actually... I think you might be right.

Looking over GDL, 30k would make GE3 Bandai Namco's best opening for a late Switch port. Infact, you'd have to look at to Nintendo's WiiU games or MHXX to find any other late port doing significantly better. Most others have opened under 20k.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
While I'm sure it won't chart in the July NPD charts, and it may possibly end up being an overall bomba in the West, you simply can't say that just based on the UK. Selling super badly in the UK does not mean "bomba extraordinaire in the West".
Well, the info that Bruno gave nominates it for the title bomba extraordinaire. I just gave an extra example (for even as bad as the UK is for Japanese software, selling 100 units or so is a special kind of bad).

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Well, the info that Bruno gave nominates it for the title bomba extraordinaire. I just gave an extra example (for even as bad as the UK is for Japanese software, selling 100 units or so is a special kind of bad).
Maybe we are not talking about the same thing. I am talking specifically about the Switch version. Bruno was talking about the PS4 version, and that is what he had information about. I seriously doubt Bruno presently has information about GE3 Switch performance besides UK (and perhaps EU).

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Maybe we are not talking about the same thing. I am talking specifically about the Switch version. Bruno was talking about the PS4 version, and that is what he had information about. I seriously doubt Bruno presently has information about GE3 Switch performance besides UK (and perhaps EU).
I know and I did not realise that when I responded to Bruno. But I don't have high hopes for the Switch, either. It's not likely imo that games that bomb extraordinarily like GE3 often find good performance on other systems: PS4 is not a bad platform for Japanese games by any means in the West.