• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think going full action (by full action you guys mean more KH, than DMC right? cause the latter would be a bad idea imo) would necessarily improve xenoblade sales automatically.
Based on the early artwork it definitely seems like it will resonate more with an international audience (as would a focus on action combat), and perhaps even the japanese audience as well.

I'm actually getting some botw vibes from this. Cottamn is that beautiful :p

Monolith-Soft_08-20-17_001.jpg

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the early artwork it definitely seems like it will resonate more with an international audience (as would a focus on action combat), and perhaps even the japanese audience as well.

I'm actually getting some botw vibes from this. Cottamn is that beautiful :p

Monolith-Soft_08-20-17_001.jpg

I don't really care about concept art tbh.
That picture has been making people go crazy.

I don't get...any vibes from it. It's a picture.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, concept art is generally a reflection of their artistic vision for the game.

And that's some damn sweet art.
it's cool. And if that is the MC's costume or design, I'm definitely down.

But for getting vibes, BOTW's defining features are non-linear open world, and physics based tools for dungeon solving and overworld interaction in general. (stuff like equipment, rpg mechanics, sound design, graphics, etc come after)

that art doesn't indicate those two being there or not being there.
shrug

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to my hell.

Think this thread must be sweating too, seems like many in here had their brains melt over the weekend.
Yeah. Seeing these salary men wearing their suits under this weather, I feel sorry for them. I was a white collar so I totally understand how they feel. At least most of them don't need to wear full suits.

And this thread is certainly wild.

Btw, I also don't feel like those concept arts indicate everything. The overall tone may be close to the game, but I am afraid the character designs may not be like the woman from the art.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
TSUTAYA Ranking Sales, 2018 ( Jul 16 - Jul 22)

11/09 [PS4] Zanki Zero
16/14 [PS4] Winning Eleven 2018 (new price version)

BTqqPnu.jpg

NSW: 11
PS4: 6
3DS: 3

Last edited:

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Yeah. Seeing these salary men wearing their suits under this weather, I feel sorry for them. I was a white collar so I totally understand how they feel. At least most of them don't need to wear full suits.

And this thread is certainly wild.

Btw, I also don't feel like those concept arts indicate everything. The overall tone may be close to the game, but I am afraid the character designs may not be like the woman from the art.
For me the ultra-light coolbiz suits, even with a jacket, are actually cooler than denims for example.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Tsutaya with the all Nintendo top 10

This is going to get interesting.

Also, to stay on topic, who here agrees that Magical Chase is Quest's best game and needs a modern release?

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I don't really care about concept art tbh.
That picture has been making people go crazy.

I don't get...any vibes from it. It's a picture.
Just the art style being more western fantasy, and not going deeper into Xeno2/FE "anime" direction is enough to get a lot fans more hyped for this. Then there's the part where it's a pretty cool art.

Last edited:

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Just the art style being more western fantasy instead of going deeper into Xeno2/FE direction is enough get a lot fans more hyped for this. Then there's the part where it's a pretty cool art.

Dunno art is just art for me until I see something real.

Using FE I'm sure you could find art that makes it look mature or western? or less girl bait. Doesn't mean it is.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's 37 right now but feels about 42. Sitting at my ward office filling out paperwork before going to the office. The AC is very weak in here but better than nothing.

40 kinda happens like several time last month lol. I just hide inside the office to avoid the heat.

Even my doge is hiding in his cage from the heat lol.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
25k would be a very good third week for Octopath considering the supply issues. The road to 200k (physical) is looking good.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Attack on Titan season 3 just started today. We'll see if it has some kind of effect on the games.
Only the Switch version is still hanging in the top 50.

Oct 26, 2017
Attack on Titan season 3 just started today. We'll see if it has some kind of effect on the games.
Only the Switch version is still hanging in the top 50.

Here's Famitsu's LTD for all versions as of Week 25:

36./00. [NSW] Attack on Titan 2 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2018.03.15} (¥7.800) - 62.414 / NEW
40./00. [PS4] Attack on Titan 2 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2018.03.15} (¥7.800) - 57.536 / NEW
76./00. [PSV] Attack on Titan 2 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2018.03.15} (¥6.800) - 27.902 / NEW

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
"Easily" outsell bd? Wasn't that like 340k?

So we're talking like near 400k now?
Eh
Bravely Default came out in Oct 2012, at the end of 2012 MC had it at 283k. In 2013 it sold another 25k, ending the run at 308k. I think >300k is definitely achievable for Octopath, given how it hasn't even had a holiday run yet, has excellent word of mouth, there's still nothing like it on the market or platform today, and the initial demand is certain as strong or stronger than Bravely Default (opened at about 140k without stock problems).

The rest of the sales were boosted by the For the Sequel re-release which sold about 59k. But that's a re-release marketed for sequel hype, so whatever.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Bravely Default came out in Oct 2012, at the end of 2012 MC had it at 283k. In 2013 it sold another 25k, ending the run at 308k. I think >300k is definitely achievable for Octopath, given how it hasn't even had a holiday run yet, has excellent word of mouth, there's still nothing like it on the market or platform today, and the initial demand is certain as strong or stronger than Bravely Default (opened at about 140k without stock problems).

The rest of the sales were boosted by the For the Sequel re-release which sold about 59k. But that's a re-release marketed for sequel hype, so whatever.
Oh ok. I guess I could see 300k.
I'm just keeping my expectations in check

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Engines don't get copypasted from one project to another, especially if the two projects are made by two entirely different teams and said engine hasn't been used many times and isn't well documented (which is closely related to the previous point)

Monolith's staff and EPD's don't shuffle between each other and BotW engine was only made for that particular game, future Nintendo games might be using it in the future but it's far from being certain, not to mention that historically it doesn't seem to have been Nintendo's mantra to use similar engine for different type of games, they are even experimenting with UE4 right now.

This isn't really true. EAD/EPD basically use one continuously updated codebase for all their games, modified as needed for whatever game they're making, and which has been evolving for some generations now. The Tokyo branch and the part that used to be SPD have their own tools, though, IIRC.

HPH

Oct 25, 2017
Switch lineup is looking really solid for this month. Taiko and Minecraft legs will be very interesting to look at.. Minecraft especially could be in the charts for a long time.

Based on YSO predictions Megaman X collection is also heading for a solid debut on PS4. Mega Man 11's performance will be very interesting this fall. I'm hoping it will perform well so that we get more original Mega Man games!

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

For the Sequel sold around 100k units, eShop sales included. It sold more than 80k at retail.

Also, Bravely Default faced stock issues too. It had a 85%+ sellthrough at launch and was sold-out during the second week.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Well for one, I'd have laid out a plan as I said. Having a schedule to reference and know what to look forward to goes a long way to keep someone playing. Without any knowledge of what you're going to get, there's nothing really giving you reason to "stick to it" and you don't have any reason to give the company any sort of benefit of the doubt since they won't tell you anything.

MH as a whole has issues with GaaS unless they really plan well/provide very different forms of content like 'raids' of some variety, because while things like Jho are great, they're content for all of about 30 minutes. The only content beyond the monster is grinding the monster and I don't really consider that meaningful content.

But if you have this and you have a competent content roll out plan that you present to the players, you could string something like: monster -> monster -> big monster event to prep for/hard event -> monster -> monster, etc. It gives you something to grind for in prep, rather than just grinding for the sake of grinding because they added Jho and you want to look like Jho. (This is just an example.)

Not their current plan of: ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Its fair enough about wanting a roadmap showing upcoming content, but do you think this would make much difference in sales post launch? Capcom has provided a steady release schedule with additional content for MHW, so they've uphold their words on this even if there isnt a roadmap showing it. If anyone doubted that they would release content post launch like they said, then Capcom showed that they delivered as promised. I might be missing something, but these are the things that i can think of that were added later on: Street Fighter 5 content, Mega Man content, Devil May Cry content, Devil Jho, Kulve Taroth, Lunastra and soon upcoming Behemoth from Final Fantasy. I dont think thats too bad in about ~6 moths.

Monster Hunter in general have always been about grinding for material/gear, so i would say that this is meaningful content in its own. But what would raids content be like in Monster Hunter? What (and why) would you be grinding for in preperation for something else? How would this work? Honest question, i'm interested to hear how such idea would work. It could be cool if they made something like this.

The more time that passes with an unengaged audience, the more a DLC will struggle to bring any one back. This is normal audience behavior as people move on to other games, and lose interest in going back. This is why DLC doesn't usually arrive 1+ years after the fact unless its a very healthy GaaS.
That can be the case indeed, but for Monster Hunter, it doesnt seem to have been any problem so far at least. No other MH games have gotten as much post launch content as MHW, but G-releases have always sold well. I always thought that one of the main reasons for this is because people are hungry for new content.

Last edited:

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
GEO Ranking Sales, 2018 (Jul 16 - Jul 22)

Diq9GLDU8AAvQzo.jpg

01/ N [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun!
02/01 [NSW] OCTOPATH TRAVELER
03/03 [NSW] Mario Tennis Ace
04/04 [NSW] Minecraft
05/02 [NSW] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
06/08 [NSW] Splatoon 2
07/10 [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
08/07 [PS4] The Crew 2
09/13 [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
10/12 [PS4] Kingdom Hearts - HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix

NSW: 8
PS4: 2

【ゲオ メディア商品部メディア商品2課 バイヤー 武藤 崇史氏のコメント】
今週のランキングはSwitch「太鼓の達人 Nintendo Switch ば~じょん!」が初登場1位となりました。Switch版はライトユーザー向けとなっており、長く定番商品として販売を伸ばしてほしい作品となっております。

また、1~7位までのランキングをSwitchが独占している状況となっており、新作から旧作まで幅広いジャンルがランクインしております。

Last edited:

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
GEO Ranking Sales, 2018 (Jul 16 - Jul 22)

Diq9GLDU8AAvQzo.jpg

01/ N [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun!
02/01 [NSW] OCTOPATH TRAVELER
03/03 [NSW] Mario Tennis Ace
04/04 [NSW] Minecraft
05/ N [NSW] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
06/08 [NSW] Splatoon 2
07/10 [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
08/07 [PS4] The Crew 2
09/13 [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
10/12 [PS4] Kingdom Hearts - HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix

NSW: 8
PS4: 2

【ゲオ メディア商品部メディア商品2課 バイヤー 武藤 崇史氏のコメント】
今週のランキングはSwitch「太鼓の達人 Nintendo Switch ば~じょん!」が初登場1位となりました。Switch版はライトユーザー向けとなっており、長く定番商品として販売を伸ばしてほしい作品となっております。

また、1~7位までのランキングをSwitchが独占している状況となっており、新作から旧作まで幅広いジャンルがランクインしております。
Was captain Todd released a week late at GEO? :p

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
ComG! Week Sales, 2018 (Jul 16 - Jul 22)

DirDll9VsAAHFeo.jpg

01/ N [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! - 95 pt
02/03 [NSW] Minecraft - 36 pt (+7 pt)
03/02 [NSW] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 21 pt (-41 pt)
04/05 [NSW] Mario Tennis Ace - 18 pt (-15 pt)
05/ N [NSW] Touhou Genso Wanderer: Reloaded (limited edition) - 16 pt
06/ N [NSW] Touhou Genso Wanderer: Reloaded - 16 pt

07/11 [PS4] Zanki Zero - 15 pt (+5 pt)
08/06 [3DS] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 13 pt (-5 pt)
09/12 [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 12 pt (+2 pt)
10/07 [NSW] Splatoon 2 - 11 pt (-6 pt)
11/08 [PS4] Mary Skelter: Nightmares 2 (limited edition) - 8 pt (-7 pt)
12/10 [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Moon - 8 pt (-3 pt)
13/09 [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Sun - 8 pt (-5 pt)
14/01 [NSW] Octopath Traveler - 7 pt (-108 pt)
15/16 [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 7 pt (=)
16/ R. [PS4] Minecraft - 6 pt
17/ N [PS4] Closed Nightmare - 5 pt
18/ R. [PS4] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 - 5 pt
19/ R. [NSW] Rockman Classics Collection 1+2 - 5 pt
20/15 [NSW] Kirby Star Allies - 5 pt (-2 pt)

NSW: 12
PS4: 5
3DS: 3

ComG! Week Sales, 2018 (Jul 09 - Jul 15)
https://www.resetera.com/threads/me...018-jul-02-jul-08.54668/page-16#post-10426234

Last edited:

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
In Tokyo. Walk through many convenient and department stores and used goods stores today to search for low price goods. I can't find one single copy of Octopath here, not even a download card or a used copy. This is pretty crazy.

Off topic. Prices at Akihabara Book Off are outrageous and properly defined the term "overpriced". It is worse than last time I visit one year ago. Sofmap seems to be much better in this regard.