• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017
So basically he looked at the numbers this week and said, "buh buh but last week!". Never mind that it was also a complete slaughter last week.
Dengeki numbers for this week is still not available.
I think mentioning last week is not so selective because 52% software unit sales are from Sony platforms so far this year.
"So far this year" could be selective because Nintendo platforms is strong in latter half of the year.
But last year 43% are from Sony platforms in W01-W27 and 38% in W01-W52.
So 52% so far this year is not bad for Sony and it's far from Nintendo domination.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I think mentioning last week is not so selective because 52% software unit sales are from Sony platforms so far this year.
"So far this year" could be selective because Nintendo platforms is strong in latter half of the year.
So 52% so far this year is not bad for Sony and it's far from Nintendo domination.

If you take out MHW you will see how pitiful PS4 software situation is.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
What do those numbers say? They say Sony sold a bunch of discounted titles from the lower depths of the sales charts.

You were talking about top 10 in a units chart. Why are you flipping to revenue now?

Again, meaningless without revenue numbers attached to them.

Who started a discussuon about units? Pretty sure it was you.

And even then, they still sold fewer by thousands.

No one is under the illusion the PS4 is neck and neck with the Switch. A top 10 is not reflective of the health of the market however.

It's hilarious that you're defending his obvious attempt to deflect what's actually going on in Japan.

Naw, he was adding obvious context so people who aren't interested in meaningless hot takes can have more info to judge. No one is under the illusion that the Switch isn't the dominant platform in Japan.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Meaningless without revenue generated.

Oct 25, 2017
XCX was on the wrong platform developed at the wrong time.
It seemingly tried to be Destiny before Destiny came out. By the time Destiny released it was probably too late to do massive changes.

I think the game design is kind of boring and tedious. The tech is amazing but it's better suited for a sequel than a port that may turn people off.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
I love it how successful Nintendo is in Japan. These threads were empty when Nintendo did bad. Glad to see these threads alive again.

Ninferno

Nov 6, 2017
Xenoblade X is a much stronger hype machine than Xenoblade 2 and Nintendo knew it. Just compare their appearances on the directs and the difference between them is really obvious. For X, its trailers often featured running around Mira, showcasing it's vastness and beauty, while for 2 you mostly got cutscenes that are anime af instead. I'm not saying 2's cutscenes are bad; they are pretty well done and we know it once we get to play the actually game. However, showing cutscene fragments really isn't that effective for trailers; nobody knows who these characters are, why they are yelling so hard, and who they are yelling at, etc.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
BotW still charting in the top 10 after being released a year and a half ago is just incredible. Never thought a Zelda title would be capable of doing that in Japan, but then again BotW shattered expectations on what a Zelda title could be.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
XCX was on the wrong platform developed at the wrong time.
It seemingly tried to be Destiny before Destiny came out. By the time Destiny released it was probably too late to do massive changes.

I think the game design is kind of boring and tedious. The tech is amazing but it's better suited for a sequel than a port that may turn people off.
Yeah I think the game was lacking in key areas but the Wii U really held that one back.

A full multiplayer focused Xenoblade X type of game will probably do huge numbers on the Switch. I'd say they need to forget about X and move on to better things with a sequel.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I have a feeling this will be the last time we'll have two 3DS games in the top 10.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
If Octopath has serious stock issues Splatoon 2 has a chance of topping the charts exactly 1 year after its debut.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I know it's unlikely but I'd bet/hope Octopath will not fall off a cliff on week 2 or 3 like most RPGs do.

I think it will join the evergreens for the next 3-6 months. stabilizing at 3k~5k, then riding the smash/pokemon wave and then disappearing after holidays.

LTD at that point: ~ 220k ~ 280k

Final LTD: ~ 320k ~350k

Why would you take it out? This would be like saying remove Nintendo games from the Switch software sales and then compare.

The numbers are the numbers. Big games take big pie. Since forever.

while I agree with your point, MHW is just one single game in an ocean of bombs and sad software sales, Switch has many evergreens, with niche games doing better than they'd do elsewhere

imagine people saying some years ago, "WiiU software is doing great numbers, just look at Splatoon!", that wouldn't be accurate

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still think Xenoblade X has a better selling point in the current market than Xenoblade 2. it was just unfortunate to come first and on the Wii U.
  • open world
  • custom character
  • co-op online play
all it needed was to follow through on the "explore the world with friends" thing that was hinted at in the early showings of the game and a proper social space and it could have easily been the Switch's big service RPG. I do think Monolith Soft realizes this and is aiming for that in their next game.

mv.jpg

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
while I agree with your point, MHW is just one single game in an ocean of bombs and sad software sales, Switch has many evergreens, with niche games doing better than they'd do elsewhere

MHW pulls up the average the same way all big games do. There is 0 reason to pull it from the total sales. PS4 hasn't been hot this year on new releases though I agree.

imagine people saying some years ago, "WiiU software is doing great numbers, just look at Splatoon!", that wouldn't be accurate

Point was never PS4 is doing great software wise though. The point was PS4 still encapsulates a large portion of the software market. Which it does.

Just look at the the prices of PS4 software on the front page. If unit sales are in favor of PS4 so far this year so is revenue. Especially as MH:W makes huge chunk of the total software for this year for PS4 and it was very expensive game (8980 yen).

I don't know why you are expected to provide a link for revenue but your taking dude at face value that all PS4 sofrware this week was discount price. You're wasting your time fam.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017

So I refer to overall sales.
"MHW!" "Splatoon!" "Top10 Evergreens!" are not gonna work.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I still think Xenoblade X has a better selling point in the current market than Xenoblade 2. it was just unfortunate to come first and on the Wii U.
  • open world
  • custom character
  • co-op online play
all it needed was to follow through on the "explore the world with friends" thing that was hinted at in the early showings of the game and a proper social space and it could have easily been the Switch's big service RPG. I do think Monolith Soft realizes this and is aiming for that in their next game.

mv.jpg

Yeah, Xenoblade X's was actually similar to Destiny or Anthem, only without a mature service model and probably made with Anthem's lunch budget. I don't know if Monolith will ever attempt something like that again but I goddamn hope X has some continuation.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Xenoblade X could never be a big service game because Xenoblade X isn't good enough to draw casual people in. Shit is obtuse as hell. Monolith needs to make a straight action RPG and streamline the fuck out of it before we can even talk about them making something the average person that makes Destiny, the Division or soon to be Anthem huge titles.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's a fair point that PS4 is still a large portion of the software market. It's not reflected in the top 10 or 20, but the userbase is still larger than the Switch hence lots of titles selling at small numbers.

Of course... This won't last much longer with the Switch userbase growing, big switch releases, and the accumulation of more Nintendo evergreens.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fair point that PS4 is still a large portion of the software market. It's not reflected in the top 10 or 20, but the userbase is still larger than the Switch hence lots of titles selling at small numbers.

Of course... This won't last much longer with the Switch userbase growing, big switch releases, and the accumulation of more Nintendo evergreens.
Switch software is already above PS4 software according to Dengeki

Oct 25, 2017
Just look at the the prices of PS4 software on the front page. If unit sales are in favor of PS4 so far this year so is revenue. Especially as MH:W makes huge chunk of the total software for this year for PS4 and it was very expensive game (8980 yen).
Those are just the official retail price numbers. Sales data doesn't take into account discounted prices (for instance, New Gundam Breakers still showing the launch price despite being less than 80% off for the past two weeks).

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Why would you take it out? This would be like saying remove Nintendo games from the Switch software sales and then compare.

No, it wouldn't. First of all, I agree that sales are sales, but excluding a single game can't be compared to the exclusion of a prolific publisher with several games. While I wouldn't exclude games I also think he made an interesting point, MHW selling similar to all other first half of 2018 PS4 games combined is very telling. It's no secret that a lot of games didn't perform that great this year, be it Dissidia or the hyped DBFighterz among others. So looking at software sales besides MHW isn't a bad idea to get some perspective.

Point was never PS4 is doing great software wise though. The point was PS4 still encapsulates a large portion of the software market. Which it does.
It also got most games, it's not really surprising that it isn't irrelevant, especially with MHW. Due to this year beeing very frontloaded and no game in the second half of the year coming anywhere close to MHW, the portion will become less and less in the coming months, with Switch having a more clear dominant portion.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Those are just the official retail price numbers. Sales data doesn't take into account discounted prices (for instance, New Gundam Breakers still showing the launch price despite being less than 80% off for the past two weeks).

Well even in these cases even games that bomb have probably pretty high average selling price because PS4 software is generally so frontloaded (First week sales being huge amount of the total).

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

It's not really the same.

PS4 software ecosystem in Japan is pretty dire. In the first half of 2018 sales were heavily concentrated towards ONE game (not one publisher). You have one game selling almost 3m, and then the second-best selling game below 300k units. MHW is an outlier. Nintendo games are not outliers: they are the norm on Switch. All Nintendo games are selling very well, as data show.

I'm not discounting the relevance of MHW. I'm just saying that if you want to analyze PS4 software data you must put data within a framework, give some context.

Yeah the majority of the software unit sales is MHW. Since no million sellers were released by Nintendo in the first half it's not at all surprising that the PS4 has the software market-share ratio it does.

What I was saying is that outside MHW PS4 had pretty dire software sales.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
After Captain Toad numbers Nintendo might start thinking if creating a Switch version for Luigi's Mansion will be better than going only with 3DS at this point of its life.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

It would in that it's an arbitrary barrier to put around a comparison about total software sales.

First of all, I agree that sales are sales,
That's really all that needs to be said. Sales are sales. The comparison was that total software sales show PS4 is still quite relevant in the market. You don't subtract the biggest game of the year and go "but everything else did poorly!!". PS4's place in the market is hit driven and for AAA productions.

While I wouldn't exclude games I also think he made an interesting point, MHW selling similar to all other first half of 2018 PS4 games combined is very telling. It's no secret that a lot of games didn't perform that great this year, be it Dissidia or the hyped DBFighterz among others.

It says MHW performed crazy well for one. It also says PS4 is a place where games are going to struggle selling 500k+. These are fine observations but its still not really reflective of a total software comparison. PS systems for the last 2 gens get a shit ton of releases with most being medium sized hits at best.

It's not really the same.

PS4 software ecosystem in Japan is pretty dire. In the first half of 2018 sales were heavily concentrated towards ONE game (not one publisher). You have one game selling almost 3m, and then the second-best selling game below 300k units. MHW is an outlier. Nintendo games are not outliers: they are the norm on Switch. All Nintendo games are selling very well, as data show.

I'm not discounting the relevance of MHW. I'm just saying that if you want to analyze PS4 software data you must put data within a framework, give some context.

What I was saying is that outside MHW PS4 had pretty dire software sales.

See my response above.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
MHW pulls up the average the same way all big games do. There is 0 reason to pull it from the total sales. PS4 hasn't been hot this year on new releases though I agree.

I don't know why you are expected to provide a link for revenue but your taking dude at face value that all PS4 sofrware this week was discount price. You're wasting your time fam.
Yeah why backup a factual statement you make with facts. Fam.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After Captain Toad numbers Nintendo might start thinking if creating a Switch version for Luigi's Mansion will be better than going only with 3DS at this point of its life.
Luigi's Mansion Duology on Switch to lead up to Next Level's Luigi's Haunted Town

Cut it, print it, Nintendo

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
They're probably far in development of a new one, but it does make sense to warm up the audience with a Switch remake. That game will do good numbers.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
They are likely preparing LM3 for the Switch - don't see them going multiplattform with LM. They already knew when it was announced that it would perform better on Switch ....they still deliver these games only on 3DS so that people don't get rid of their 3DS consoles.

Then again you never know with Nintendo ...potential sales onlf Switch versions were never the issue ...pretty much everything would sell better on Switch at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
Well even in these cases even games that bomb have probably pretty high average selling price because PS4 software is generally so frontloaded (First week sales being huge amount of the total).
I mean there's a logical difference in revenue between frontloaded games that are later discounted and keep selling and frontloaded games that retain their price and keep selling.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch and Nintendo will easily dominate the PS4 the rest of the year software and hardware wise. Monster Hunter World gave the PS4 a very strong head start.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They'll never get a sale out of me for that game on 3DS, but it would be a day 1 on Switch. I imagine this decision was made long before it was known the Switch would take over like this. Either that or they simply dont care and just see it as a way of continuing to provide support to the 3DS.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
To be fair pretty much every bigger bomb has been also shitty game (Dissidia, Dynasty Warriors, Gundam).

Well, pitiful software sales are also linked to poor performance of many games during late 2017. Games like GT and MnG could have kept selling well in 2018 but they underperformed big time. Overall there wasn't much high-profile offer, true, but games like VC4 could have done more and PS4 wasn't able to assimilate missing PSV userbase from games like SRT and Persona Dancing.

Nintendo is already converting Super Mario Maker to a full-fledged sequel as we speak.