• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
This isn't really true. EAD/EPD basically use one continuously updated codebase for all their games, modified as needed for whatever game they're making, and which has been evolving for some generations now. The Tokyo branch and the part that used to be SPD have their own tools, though, IIRC.

I see for EPD, I was more thinking about Nintendo as a whole including "2nd party" stuff and various branches, what games series does that "continuously updated codebase" (which is a more accurate term than engine btw :p) covered the past decade exactly?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Ah ofc, so it did hold decently on Geo and Tsutaya at least?

TSUTAYA Ranking Sales, 2018 ( Jul 16 - Jul 22)

BTqqPnu.jpg

GEO Ranking Sales, 2018 (Jul 16 - Jul 22)

Diq9GLDU8AAvQzo.jpg

01/ N [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun!
02/01 [NSW] OCTOPATH TRAVELER
03/03 [NSW] Mario Tennis Ace
04/04 [NSW] Minecraft
05/02 [NSW] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
06/08 [NSW] Splatoon 2
07/10 [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
08/07 [PS4] The Crew 2
09/13 [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
10/12 [PS4] Kingdom Hearts - HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix

NSW: 8
PS4: 2

【ゲオ メディア商品部メディア商品2課 バイヤー 武藤 崇史氏のコメント】
今週のランキングはSwitch「太鼓の達人 Nintendo Switch ば~じょん!」が初登場1位となりました。Switch版はライトユーザー向けとなっており、長く定番商品として販売を伸ばしてほしい作品となっております。

また、1~7位までのランキングをSwitchが独占している状況となっており、新作から旧作まで幅広いジャンルがランクインしております。

Above Mario Tennis Aces in both. You can expect something around 20k imo.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I see for EPD, I was more thinking about Nintendo as a whole including "2nd party" stuff and various branches, what games series does that "continuously updated codebase" (which is a more accurate term than engine btw :p) covered the past decade exactly?
EPD has a dedicated technology team that handles tools, libraries and environment. I think most games end up relatively customized but they do have the Bezel Engine on Switch, formerly Nintendoware on Wii/3DS/Wii U and it's also available to 3rd parties. Wii Sports and Wii Play were the first big games to use that.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
GEO Ranking Sales, 2018 (Jul 16 - Jul 22)

今週のランキングはSwitch「太鼓の達人 Nintendo Switch ば~じょん!」が初登場1位となりました。Switch版はライトユーザー向けとなっており、長く定番商品として販売を伸ばしてほしい作品となっております。

また、1~7位までのランキングをSwitchが独占している状況となっており、新作から旧作まで幅広いジャンルがランクインしております。
This week has Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! taking first place. Switch version is for casual users, and is a work that would like us to extend sales as a standard long-term product.

In addition, Switch is dominating rankings from 1st to 7th place, and a wide range of genres ranging from new to old releases are ranked in.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
In Tokyo. Walk through many convenient and department stores and used goods stores today to search for low price goods. I can't find one single copy of Octopath here, not even a download card or a used copy. This is pretty crazy.

Off topic. Prices at Akihabara Book Off are outrageous and properly defined the term "overpriced". It is worse than last time I visit one year ago. Sofmap seems to be much better in this regard.

Yeah, don't shop there unless you are pickup some light novels. 15 years ago buying games in a hidden shop in Akiba was possible, these days with all the tourists and google enabled smartphones it's pretty hard to pull off. Small bookshops in the suburbs is the way to go. Or Yahoo.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, don't shop there unless you are pickup some light novels. 15 years ago buying games in a hidden shop in Akiba was possible, these days with all the tourists and google enabled smartphones it's pretty hard to pull off. Small bookshops in the suburbs is the way to go. Or Yahoo.
Going to a hardoff tomorrow, let's see if I will have any luck. Not a collector, just want to play some old titles. I will also go to suburbs too.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Bravely Default was also OOS back then. This showed between 2nd and 3rd week especially:

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
But it's not a case of people not being interested in a discussion because it's a niche game. It's people not wanting to entertain the thought that it could have sold well given what it was, and still be a disappointment because it could have done much better given the circumstances and quality. It feels like this "it did really well worldwide, Japan isn't everything" standard exists when people don't want to talk about how a game is doing significantly less in Japan compared to the rest of the world, but doesn't exist anymore when sometimes the same people want to critique how bad a game is doing in Japan. I find it bad form for the discussion quality in these threads. They used to be a lot more interesting to post in.

I'll have to be honest, I think you're right in saying that MC threads' quality has declined in the past few months, heck I'd say starting from 2017, going back to GAF's last months. I feel that these threads have gotten way too much focused on people trying to "GOTCHA!" each other, without enough meaningful conversations. Basically, a fight between extremistic positions due to one side starting hyperbolising facts and feelings and the other reacting accordingly because they felt the NEED to do that, thus leading to the current situation where it's far from unusual to see users not being capable enough of having conversations, even if based on facts. I feel that the current situation, while not (usually) reaching the peaks from past MC threads, is worse due to how constant this behaviour is. Is it due to Nintendo now doing very well, thus bringing more fans "uproaring" about their success, even "aggressively" as a reaction to years and years where some Sony fans mocked at them? Is it due to several people, as duckroll mentioned, insisting so many times that Japan doesn't matter, the West/Asia/Mars will save whatever game starts underperforming in Japan...right in the thread about Japanese sales? Is it due to the forum expanding, however by attracting more "similarly-minded" people, thus mostly resulting in the noise getting louder and louder, with conversations being less and less of a factor? It's probably a combination of several elements, potentially not just in Media Create threads, but I feel something should be done about it.

I'll certainly try to participate more in these threads, with facts / numbers / I hope good starting points of conversations, and hopefully other people will follow. Better MC threads mean more people who can be interested in joining them, a better environment overall. I hope things get better, it just sucks to see the threads going like this nowadays.

Sorry for the excessive answer, but it's something I wanted to express for a while.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The reappearance of the Kingdom Hearts games higher in the charts points to there being good interest in KH3 I would imagine.

Dolgan

Oct 28, 2017
I think KH3 will sell more than most people were expecting a few months ago. There definitely seems to be some hype. Might sell as much as the PS2 titles, if they can convince people, that you don't need to play the prequels.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I'll have to be honest, I think you're right in saying that MC threads' quality has declined in the past few months, heck I'd say starting from 2017, going back to GAF's last months. I feel that these threads have gotten way too much focused on people trying to "GOTCHA!" each other, without enough meaningful conversations. Basically, a fight between extremistic positions due to one side starting hyperbolising facts and feelings and the other reacting accordingly because they felt the NEED to do that, thus leading to the current situation where it's far from unusual to see users not being capable enough of having conversations, even if based on facts. I feel that the current situation, while not (usually) reaching the peaks from past MC threads, is worse due to how constant this behaviour is. Is it due to Nintendo now doing very well, thus bringing more fans "uproaring" about their success, even "aggressively" as a reaction to years and years where some Sony fans mocked at them? Is it due to several people, as duckroll mentioned, insisting so many times that Japan doesn't matter, the West/Asia/Mars will save whatever game starts underperforming in Japan...right in the thread about Japanese sales? Is it due to the forum expanding, however by attracting more "similarly-minded" people, thus mostly resulting in the noise getting louder and louder, with conversations being less and less of a factor? It's probably a combination of several elements, potentially not just in Media Create threads, but I feel something should be done about it.

I'll certainly try to participate more in these threads, with facts / numbers / I hope good starting points of conversations, and hopefully other people will follow. Better MC threads mean more people who can be interested in joining them, a better environment overall. I hope things get better, it just sucks to see the threads going like this nowadays.

Sorry for the excessive answer, but it's something I wanted to express for a while.

Its more that now that Nintendo is once again dominating Japan, some,people have this need to dismiss any success Nintendo has, which often escalates into them getting banned/warned for Console warring.
And anybody calling such people out for their Trolling/ Concern trolling are just dismissed as Nintendo Defence force, so the quality of discourse gets even lower.

Hard to have a conversation, if anybody having an opinion that is not negative about Nintendo is dismissed as Fanboys defending Nintendo.

Oct 26, 2017
I can't help but bring up that Splatoon 2 sold WAY more than MHW, on a system with a smaller install base, and is a much more recent IP (only 3 years old in its second entry as opposed to 14 years for MH), and I believe Switch passed MHW very quickly IIRC. I believe MHW was a sub-2m when we last had numbers.

I just find that amusing. Why did Splatoon 2 sell so much more than MHW? Curious to hear thoughts about this.

Switch is a handheld yeah, but still, I wonder if there were other reasons as well.

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
I can't help but bring up that Splatoon 2 sold WAY more than MHW, on a system with a smaller install base, and is a much more recent IP (only 3 years old in its second entry as opposed to 14 years for MH), and I believe Switch passed MHW very quickly IIRC. I believe MHW was a sub-2m when we last had numbers.

I just find that amusing. Why did Splatoon 2 sell so much more than MHW? Curious to hear thoughts about this.

Switch is a handheld yeah, but still, I wonder if there were other reasons as well.

MHW has sold nearly 3M

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017

Well, not to be glib, but I think the evidence is there that Splatoon is the biggest new IP in Japan in a while and it really isn't much more complicated than that?

Oct 26, 2017
But are you right, or WAY right? because those caps seemed important.

Well, it's funny. If MHW is at 3m, then either Splatoon 2 is like 500k over at retail only, or 500k under including digital (can't remember if digital was that high).

So... WAY higher... or WAY lower? You decide! :P

Well, not to be glib, but I think the evidence is there that Splatoon is the biggest new IP in Japan in a while and it really isn't much more complicated than that?

Oh it is. But MH4/MH4G and MHX had no issues doing multi-millions and those were pretty recent. So it's not like MH is less popular or anything.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

Didn't World have an insanely high digital rate, it's at 2.8 million iirc.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
There's really no need to compare them that way. Splatoon is the biggest new thing to happen to the gaming landscape in Japan (that's not on mobile anyway) in a long long time. MHW opened in huge numbers despite the odds being stacked against it. Both are amazing success stories.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017

Games on Nintendo platforms have more legs and aren't so frontloaded.

World would still probably be charting if it was on Switch. I think the reason Capcom is still planning to release future MH games on Switch (according to them) is probably because they want sustained sales.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

As far as I know, pretty much every game that has 3D rendering since the N64. There's also the Nintendoware/Bezel platform mentioned above, which showed up a little more than a decade ago, but I don't know how much it was used, or if it's not actually just a branch of their standard codebase.

Oct 27, 2017
Because Nintendo has cultivated the brand way better than Capcom has MH. The fact that the series even blew up like it did on a dud of a console like the Wii U adds more to this fact. Also, I have no doubt we'll be getting another big content upgrade before the holidays

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I miscalculated because I totally forgot about MHW's digital performance.

Splatoon is a big ass franchise now. It was already a top 10 franchise (well top 20ish) on WiiU. On a not dead system its rolling. It's not too surprising its going toe to toe with Monster Hunter.

Because Nintendo has cultivated the brand way better than Capcom has MH. The fact that the series even blew up like it did on a dud of a console like the Wii U adds more to this fact. Also, I have no doubt we'll be getting another big content upgrade before the holidays

MH has been popular (not just popular but like mega popular) for well over a decade. We can't seriously be sitting here saying Capcom hasn't expertly cultivated the MH brand. That is insanity.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has built a lot on Splatoon franchise last years. It has entered top 3 in Japan with Animal Crossing and Pokemon and when all of them are out on Switch we'll see the exact order.

If Animal Crossing maintains the power it had on 3DS it will be Animal Crossing > Splatoon > Pokemon but there's always the possibility Splatoon comes on top since it will cross 5m in the end.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Switching gears a little. Wii U yielded Splatoon and Mario Maker which could very well be Nintendo staples forever and ever amen. But if I were heading software development at Nintendo there would be new Nintendogs, Wii Fit and Toon Zelda games in the works to make use of hits from consoles past. When did Toon Link star in his last game? Spirit Tracks? Let the starting lineup sit it out for a bit.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Switching gears a little. Wii U yielded Splatoon and Mario Maker which could very well be Nintendo staples forever and ever amen. But if I were heading software development at Nintendo there would be new Nintendogs, Wii Fit and Toon Zelda games in the works to make use of hits from consoles past. When did Toon Link star in his last game? Spirit Tracks? Let the starting lineup sit it out for a bit.

Mario Maker has potential to be goat. That was my most played WiiU game. All will ve right in the world when we get a new one.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

Nintendogs feels like it would hit home with mobiles. I am not sure it would be a hit on the Switch like it was on the DS.

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Maker was rumored for year one so it's odd that it never appeared.
Mario Maker Deluxe or NSMBU+MMDX would be big, I think so I hope the NSMBU rumor isn't completely accurate.

2D Mario team hasn't put out anything since early 2017, I think.
Online enabled co-op Mario would be a big sell for the online service and Mario Maker with proper level sharing would be pretty big too.
Toon link was in triforce Heroes. Or at least his design was despite Nintendo insisting it's the same Link as LBW.
Nintendogs would make a ton of money...on mobile.
It's not a franchise people would drop $60 for, but for free on mobile people would buy a ton of items for their pets.
Don't think Wii Fit would do well either. Despite being a massive success on Wii, it did poorly even by Wii U standards. They have it away for like $30 if you bought a peripheral too and I'm pretty sure people didn't bite.