• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
That would be a typical Hino move some time ago and maybe the final nail in company's coffin but his moves since late last year indicate that the direction is to cut down the budget at everything.

Alright, 2D turn-based RPG for Switch it is then. Good thing it's not powerful enough for 3D games, Level-5 saved!

On a more serious note, I'm curious to see how they're going to approach PS5, after their disastrous Switch strategy (or lack thereof).

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Given their tremendous success in DS and 3DS eras, you would think Level-5 is one of those that were ready to make bank on the Switch. Their lack of presence is really crazy.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Given their tremendous success in DS and 3DS eras, you would think Level-5 is one of those that were ready to make bank on the Switch. Their lack of presence is really crazy.
I remember they wanted to bank on mobile starting with The Snack World in 2015 (this IP would surpass Yokai Watch they said) + Lady Layton and Fantasy Life, suffice to say it was the beginning of the end and they kept making awful business decisions at this point.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh a lot of Japanese Developers weren't banking on the Switch in the beginning.

Till this day I was baffled that people thought it wouldn't be a success, but apparently they thought otherwise.

Level 5 are honestly just a confusing company. They bit off more then they could chew imo. How can a company go from having healthy franchises, but to the dumps now.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Level 5 is that weird position that in the beginning didn't want to invest to Switch and now they want but they can't.

Considering other companies, far from Nintendo before, have achieved it it's another first for Hino.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
If they handled Yokai Watch better it could have really benefited so much from the Switch.

Hypothetically how much could it have sold if it weren't mismanaged so badly?

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Level 5's biggest problem is that they are developing a billion different games at once despite being actually a pretty small company with just 300 employees. That's just 100 employees more than Monolithsoft and yet Level 5 is trying to release five games a year as well as manage complicated multimedia franchises. Instead of getting their shit together they are just adding more and more stuff to their pile when they'd probably do just fine if they concentrated on two or three projects at a time.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Level 5's biggest problem is that they are developing a billion different games at once despite being actually a pretty small company with just 300 employees. That's just 100 employees more than Monolithsoft and yet Level 5 is trying to release five games a year as well as manage complicated multimedia franchises. Instead of getting their shit together they are just adding more and more stuff to their pile when they'd probably do just fine if they concentrated on two or three projects at a time.
Level 5 has stopped announcing games left and right since 2-3 years ago. They have a very limited amount of games working for a long time now that still can't release.

Qubie

Oct 25, 2017
I remember they wanted to bank on mobile starting with The Snack World in 2015 (this IP would surpass Yokai Watch they said) + Lady Layton and Fantasy Life, suffice to say it was the beginning of the end and they kept making awful business decisions at this point.
Everybody forgot Wonder Flick

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe tomorrow at around 8AM CDT/1PM GMT. We may not get famitsu data for week 29 because week 30 contains two holidays.

At least, last week's Top 10 didn't include any warning on potential delays for the release of this week's ranking (back in April, their pre-Holidays Weekly Top 10 article included a note specifying when they were going to publish the next article). So, I assume we shouldn't experience delays with the rankings. Hopefully Famitsu won't surprise us :P

ivandlspozas

Jan 28, 2019
Sorry if it has already been commented but it is already known when Famitsu will publish the numbers for week 29?

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
It's not necessary we'll get numbers tomorrow because Famitsu didn't mention a delay, there isn't official announcement that Thursday is when public weekly update is released.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Honestly if there a purchase that makes sense for Nintendo is Level5. Even if Hino and his teams go, but their IPs are very Nintendo like.
I'd love to see a scenario where Nintendo scoops up Level-5, gives them the resources to make Yokai 5 and it releases in the same year as Pokémon to a shameful comparison for the latter in terms of quality.

Also as someone who very much dislikes the concept of Yokai Watch 1-3 and Spin-Offs I'm hoping Nintendo manages to release YW4 in the west because I wanna try it. So much for the years of "hating on Level 5" I've stacked by criticizing their business model.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo buying level 5 would be a waste and unnecessary. They don't really add anything unless Nintendo thought they could resurrect all their expensive useless multi media franchises lol. Doesn't seem worth it

They could just scoop up the talent individually and save a lot of money
without the IPs, what value is level 5. they're talent isn't anything noteworthy and they're not even dead

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Bandai Namco makes the most sense to acquire Level 5

The only reason Nintendo or Sony would look into it is for development muscle which both can find elsewhere at a better value

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo buying level 5 would be a waste and unnecessary. They don't really add anything unless Nintendo thought they could resurrect all their expensive useless multi media franchises lol. Doesn't seem worth it

without the IPs, what value is level 5. they're talent isn't anything noteworthy and they're not even dead
That seems overly harsh. They made a lot of good games over the years, the talent is there. It's mostly management that sucks.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Level 5 has a few IPs people associate with Nintendo, but they aren't worth anything and L5 has nothing of value.

I'd love to see a scenario where Nintendo scoops up Level-5, gives them the resources to make Yokai 5 and it releases in the same year as Pokémon to a shameful comparison for the latter in terms of quality.

Also as someone who very much dislikes the concept of Yokai Watch 1-3 and Spin-Offs I'm hoping Nintendo manages to release YW4 in the west because I wanna try it. So much for the years of "hating on Level 5" I've stacked by criticizing their business model.
YW4 released with no multiplayer only for it to be sold months later as DLC, a limited yokai roster they announced hours before release, and really performance issues. I wouldn't expect them to shame anyone.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Nintendo isn't known for acquiring studios — they prefer to have seconda parties by means of contractual agreements — but among all development companies Level-5 is definitely not the first one they will choose. They would seek a company with competencies outside their own, like they did with Monolith Soft. I can see them buying a studios like Mercurysteam for example.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Nintendo isn't known for acquiring studios — they prefer to have seconda parties by means of contractual agreements — but among all development companies Level-5 is definitely not the first one they will choose. They would seek a company with competencies outside their own, like they did with Monolith Soft. I can see them buying a studios like Mercurysteam for example.
Nitendo buying a western team ?? In this day and age ? (It makes sense but I don't think they'll doit)

Mutley

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
Nintendo isn't known for acquiring studios — they prefer to have seconda parties by means of contractual agreements — but among all development companies Level-5 is definitely not the first one they will choose. They would seek a company with competencies outside their own, like they did with Monolith Soft. I can see them buying a studios like for example.

Why bother buying Mercurysteam when you can just hire them for a fraction of the cost

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
On the subject of studio accusations, MS has been talking about Japanese games a lot, so I wonder if they will be announcing they acquired at least one Japan studio tomorrow.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry a bit late

COMG! preorders chart, Week 29 2020:
Each point represent one preorder at this retailer. It is a relatively small retailer located in one region so be careful when you extrapolate, especially regarding Otaku games (overrepresented) and family games (underrepresented).

1. Mobile Suit Gundam EXTREME VS Premium Sound Edition – 57 pts (+6 pts)
2. Mobile Suit Gundam EXTREME VS - 41 pts (+6 pts)
3. VVtunia - 16 pts (+1 pt)
4. The Legend of Heroes So no Kiseki - 14 pts (+4 pts)
5. Mobile Suit Gundam EXTREME VS Collector's Edition - 14 pts (+1 pt)
6. The Legend of Heroes Hajimari no Kiseki - 12 pts (+1 pt)
7. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (NSW) – 9 pts (+0 pt)
8. VVtunia Special Edition - 8 pts (+1 pt)
9. Fairy Tail (NSW) – 8 pts (+0 pt)
10. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (PS4) – 8 pts (+1 pt)
11. Watch Dogs Legion - 8 pts (+0 pt)
12. Cyberpunk 2077 – 8 pts (+0 pt)
13. Fairy Tail Guild Box (NSW) – 6 pts (+0 pt)
14. Captain Tsubasa (PS4) - 4 pts (+0 pt)
15. Fairy Tale (PS4) - 4 pts (+0 pt)
16. Assassin's Creed Valhalla - 3 pts (NE)
17. Marvel's Avengers - 3 pts (NE)
18. Jump Force Deluxe (NSW) - 2 pts (NE)
19. Medalots Classics - 2 pts (NE)
20. Azur Lane Crosswave - 2 pts (NE)

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Wouldn't Next Level Games be a better purchase if we're talking about acquiring western studios

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Acquiring someone they already have a great working relationship with makes no sense IMO. They're better off using that money to open new studios.

Oct 26, 2017
Platinum Games always felt like a perfect Monolith-esc pick-up. But for Platinum saw otherwise. Their tenure in self-publishing hasn't... gone well to say the least. Maybe they should consider an offer if Nintendo made one... 🤔

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry a bit late

COMG! preorders chart, Week 29 2020:
Each point represent one preorder at this retailer. It is a relatively small retailer located in one region so be careful when you extrapolate, especially regarding Otaku games (overrepresented) and family games (underrepresented).

1. Mobile Suit Gundam EXTREME VS Premium Sound Edition – 57 pts (+6 pts)
2. Mobile Suit Gundam EXTREME VS - 41 pts (+6 pts)
3. VVtunia - 16 pts (+1 pt)
4. The Legend of Heroes So no Kiseki - 14 pts (+4 pts)
5. Mobile Suit Gundam EXTREME VS Collector's Edition - 14 pts (+1 pt)
6. The Legend of Heroes Hajimari no Kiseki - 12 pts (+1 pt)
7. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (NSW) – 9 pts (+0 pt)
8. VVtunia Special Edition - 8 pts (+1 pt)
9. Fairy Tail (NSW) – 8 pts (+0 pt)
10. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (PS4) – 8 pts (+1 pt)
11. Watch Dogs Legion - 8 pts (+0 pt)
12. Cyberpunk 2077 – 8 pts (+0 pt)
13. Fairy Tail Guild Box (NSW) – 6 pts (+0 pt)
14. Captain Tsubasa (PS4) - 4 pts (+0 pt)
15. Fairy Tale (PS4) - 4 pts (+0 pt)
16. Assassin's Creed Valhalla - 3 pts (NE)
17. Marvel's Avengers - 3 pts (NE)
18. Jump Force Deluxe (NSW) - 2 pts (NE)
19. Medalots Classics - 2 pts (NE)
20. Azur Lane Crosswave - 2 pts (NE)

This chart really shows barren the release slate is currently.

Oct 26, 2017
Platinum just got a ton of money from Tencent, so that's not happening lol
Eh, who knows. I mean Nintendo work with Tencent in China (for better or worse). But still, that money won't last if Platinum fumble with it. Like I said, it's not rosy so far. Feels like they burnt so much goodwill right out of the gate with that horrendous kickstarter and lousy TW101 ports. The whole reveal of their Platinum 5 project thing was horrendous as well. Like, is ANYONE actually satisfied with any of this? Doesn't really seem like it to me. Frankly Platinum have been at their best with Nintendo critically. Yeah Automata happened, but SE looks like they're ready to dump them to do Nier 3 in-house. Who knows how Babylon's Fall will turn out. Didn't exactly win people over with that video a few months ago.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
This chart really shows barren the release slate is currently.

While I won't deny we need more good / great releases sales-wise for the rest of the year, this week's announcements (Ryza 2+ SMTIII) and Momotaro being dated will already generate more movement as times goes by. Actually, SMTIII already did: the charts Lelouch posted are up to last Sunday.