• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what happened to Capcom's "Adult Masterpieces" they were pushing on Switch 2 years ago.
I just randomly thought about it since there is no more ports.

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what happened to Capcom's "Adult Masterpiece" they were pushing on Switch 2 years ago.
They still have lots of M-rated remasters blatantly missing on Switch, like DMC4 and Dead Rising 1 and 2. What's the hold up? COVID? I'm sure QLOC can whip up ports of all three fairly quickly. They've done terrific work on Switch so far.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Big test for Switch hardware summer baseline this week, 4 days weekend because of the Olympics and school holidays began.

50:50 for another Switch top 10.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Ace Attorney Trilogy had similar sales between Switch and PS4 in Japan but it won't be the same with The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles.

Switch will also have clear lead with Neo: The World Ends With You.

Feb 9, 2018
I'm still not convinced that the decline in Switch sales is because of the announcement of the OLED model. As I pointed out last week, not only have announcements of new models never had an immediate, pronounced impact on sales unless they were announced really close to release (say, 3 weeks or less), but Switch sales were already trending down before the OLED got announced. We could just be seeing a continuation of that.

switch-2021-japan-1.png

(Note: The running average carries over from 2020)

There's still a bit over two months left before the OLED releases, and if sales continue to decline in that time frame and accelerate in their decline (say, by reaching sub-40k by the start of September), then that would convince me the OLED's announcement had a significant detrimental effect on sales. But it wouldn't surprise me if the Switch's sales stabilize soon, then have a more pronounced drop in the last couple of weeks before the OLED model releases.

I think people are setting up themselves to be burned with these wild OLED model sales predictions. It's barely a upgrade and costs $50 more. After the hardcore audience upgrades their models it's gonna simply share the current switch sales with Lite and standard model (and eventually replace the standard model). It's meant to improve the margins for Nintendo. Not really expand the audience. Current Switch retains it value as it's cheaper and does the same job.
Yeah. I don't see it doing anywhere near what the Lite did to boost sales. The Switch sold just shy of 240k the week the Lite released, the second biggest week ever in absolute terms in Japan for a system when a new hardware revision dropped (the PSP the week the 2000 released was actually the biggest). I doubt the OLED model will push the Switch above 200k in its release week, though it should still do well over 100k, probably even 150k+. Given how modest of an improvement it is compared to past revisions of Nintendo systems (esp. later-life revisions), I don't see it having tremendous demand in the long run, relatively speaking. While some first-time Switch buyers might be more willing to pay a bit extra for a better screen and dock, for existing hybrid owners it doesn't really seem worth the expense of upgrading unless they can get a ridiculously good trade-in deal or they're a super-hardcore fan and money is no object (I know I'm not; the OG hybrid is more than good enough, and I play almost entire in TV mode these days anyway). I even doubt its ability to cause overall growth in sales in the long term, though I could see it eventually displacing the original hybrid model, esp. if Nintendo were to cut its price to $300/¥30k. Now, had it actually been a Switch Pro, I think it'd have a bigger impact.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Tsutaya Ranking: Week 29, 2021 (19 Jul - 25 Jul)

01./01. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD <ADV> (Nintendo) {2021.07.16} (¥5.980)
02./03. [NSW] Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin <RPG> (Capcom) {2021.07.09} (¥6.990)
03./02. [NSW] Crayon Shin-Chan: Ora to Hakase no Natsuyasumi - Owaranai Nanokakan no Tabi <ADV> (Neos) {2021.07.15} (¥5.982)
04./04. [NSW] eBaseball Professional Baseball Spirits 2021: Grand Slam <SPT> (Konami) {2021.07.08} (¥6.980)
05./05. [NSW] Minecraft <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600)
06./08. [NSW] Game Builder Garage <EDU> (Nintendo) {2021.06.11} (¥3.164)
07./06. [NSW] Mario Golf: Super Rush <SPT> (Nintendo) {2021.06.25} (¥5.980)
08./09. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980)
09./12. [NSW] Miitopia <SLG> (Nintendo) {2021.05.21} (¥4.980)
10./14. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury <ACT> (Nintendo) {2021.02.12} (¥5.980)
11./15. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980)
12./17. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! <TBL> (Konami) {2020.11.19} (¥6.300)
13./00. [PS4] Utawarerumono: Zan 2 <ACT> (Aqua Plus) {2021.07.22} (¥7.800)
14./11. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise <ACT> (Capcom) {2021.03.26} (¥7.990)
15./18. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons <ETC> (Nintendo) {2020.03.20} (¥5.980)
16./13. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200)
17./21. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics <TBL> (Nintendo) {2020.06.05} (¥3.980)
18./07. [NSW] Earth Defense Force 2 for Nintendo Switch <ACT> (D3Publisher) {2021.07.15} (¥3.618)
19./22. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.11.22} (¥5.980)
20./16. [NSW] Samurai Warriors 5 <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2021.06.24} (¥7.800)

Top 20

NSW - 19
PS4 - 1

GEO stores: Week 29, 2021 (Jul 19 - Jul 25)

01./01. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD <ADV> (Nintendo) {2021.07.16} (¥5.980)
02./02. [NSW] Crayon Shin-chan: Ora to Hakase no Natsuyasumi - Owaranai Nanokakan no Tabi <ADV> (Neos) {2021.07.15} (¥5.982)
03./04. [NSW] eBaseball Professional Baseball Spirits 2021: Grand Slam <SPT> (Konami) {2021.07.08} (¥6.980)
04./05. [NSW] Minecraft <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600)
05./03. [NSW] Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin <RPG> (Capcom) {2021.07.09} (¥6.990)
06./00. [PS4] Utawarerumono: Zan 2 <ACT> (Aqua Plus) {2021.07.22} (¥7.800)
07./09. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980)
08./07. [NSW] Mario Golf: Super Rush <SPT> (Nintendo) {2021.06.25} (¥5.980)
09./10. [NSW] Game Builder Garage <EDU> (Nintendo) {2021.06.11} (¥3.164)
10./11. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980)

Top 10

NSW - 9
PS4 - 1

"This week, due to the influence of the 4 consecutive days holidays from July 22 to July 25, many major Switch titles ranked in. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword HD and Crayon Shin-chan: Ora to Hakase no Natsuyasumi - Owaranai Nanokakan no Tabi are maintaining the ranking as were last week. In addition, eBaseball Professional Baseball Spirits 2021: Grand Slam and Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin which released in July are ranked in and these two titles are likely to be the protagonists of summer.
At new releases, Utawarerumono: Zan 2 ranked in 6th place making it the only PS4 title in top 10.
Although it is out of the ranking, sales of Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: The Official Video Game are increasing due to the special demand for the Olympics."

Utawarerumono Zan 2 sales much be made up entirely of preorders.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
PayPay (a digital currency payment system very popular in Japan) recently (on the 25th) had a festival where participating stores rewarded buyers with cash back. Joshin and Yamada Denki as well as some smaller electronics retailers participated. For people with the right conditions they could get up to 37% cash back on purchases. And for PayPayMall (kind of like Amazon with many retailers but all payed through PayPay) had both Switch and Switch Lite tied as the most popular buys from last week.

If I was in the market to buy a Switch, I would have bought then, maybe a few people were waiting to buy knowing about this promotion.

I felt it was a slow month unless big releases were planned. Do we have some data?

June is our slow month, no holidays, all rain, all work.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
I felt it was a slow month unless big releases were planned. Do we have some data?

It's not a coincidence that a lot of big releases are scheduled for July. It's because it's a good month to release games because summer holidays increase average sales.

Yo-kai Watch for 3DS were released in July, Splatoon 2, Dragon Quest XI (and IX), and many others.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
It's not a coincidence that a lot of big releases are scheduled for July. It's because it's a good month to release games because summer holidays increase average sales.

Yo-kai Watch for 3DS were released in July, Splatoon 2, Dragon Quest XI (and IX), and many others.

Yeah, I remember; many big games were released from mid-July to exploit Summer holidays in August especially. This year we didn't get many big releases and sales were slower. But there are many factors that might explaining lower sales.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
It would be funny honestly if the hardware jumped up close to 100k or so during a non major release week after back to back weeks of 100k+ Releases

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
I'm still not convinced that the decline in Switch sales is because of the announcement of the OLED model. As I pointed out last week, not only have announcements of new models never had an immediate, pronounced impact on sales unless they were announced really close to release (say, 3 weeks or less), but Switch sales were already trending down before the OLED got announced. We could just be seeing a continuation of that.

switch-2021-japan-1.png

(Note: The running average carries over from 2020)

There's still a bit over two months left before the OLED releases, and if sales continue to decline in that time frame and accelerate in their decline (say, by reaching sub-40k by the start of September), then that would convince me the OLED's announcement had a significant detrimental effect on sales. But it wouldn't surprise me if the Switch's sales stabilize soon, then have a more pronounced drop in the last couple of weeks before the OLED model releases.

Yeah. I don't see it doing anywhere near what the Lite did to boost sales. The Switch sold just shy of 240k the week the Lite released, the second biggest week ever in absolute terms in Japan for a system when a new hardware revision dropped (the PSP the week the 2000 released was actually the biggest). I doubt the OLED model will push the Switch above 200k in its release week, though it should still do well over 100k, probably even 150k+. Given how modest of an improvement it is compared to past revisions of Nintendo systems (esp. later-life revisions), I don't see it having tremendous demand in the long run, relatively speaking. While some first-time Switch buyers might be more willing to pay a bit extra for a better screen and dock, for existing hybrid owners it doesn't really seem worth the expense of upgrading unless they can get a ridiculously good trade-in deal or they're a super-hardcore fan and money is no object (I know I'm not; the OG hybrid is more than good enough, and I play almost entire in TV mode these days anyway). I even doubt its ability to cause overall growth in sales in the long term, though I could see it eventually displacing the original hybrid model, esp. if Nintendo were to cut its price to $300/¥30k. Now, had it actually been a Switch Pro, I think it'd have a bigger impact.
I'm curious if they've stabilized as Chris has mentioned that demand has been met in 2021 in a way that was not in 2020.

Regarding the OLED's impact, I think it'll be popular enough to improve sales through the holidays, and that's it. My theory is that the only reason they haven't discontinued the OG already is bc they don't have nearly enough capacity for the OLED alone so they're trying to clear out inventory before transitioning everyone over.

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like eBaseball is already experiencing Amazon discount but looks like this is in response to price match or undercut another retailer:
unknown.png

Me thinks a PS4 version would have definitely been worthwhile.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like eBaseball is already experiencing Amazon discount but looks like this is in response to price match or undercut another retailer:
unknown.png

It is a bit on the higher-end, but it's still in the range of the typical discounts that Amazon.co.jp apply to games.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
unknown.png

Momotaro also all along has bigger discounts on Amazon than most Nintendo 1st party.
Anyways first baseball game begins tomorrow, so it should likely receive some boost for several days. The other 2 olympic games are also seeing boosts already.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
You do realize that lately your record is as a counter Guarana, whenever you said something like this lately Switch went even lower...

I'm not expecting it though, I'm not stating it as a guess. It happened not too long ago with new releases and NSW was doing 70k+ and then no releases following week and it just went up to 85k.

Im in the 60k-70k boat at the moment hoping for it to pick up but it's too soon to think about.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
(Taiwan)
Media Create Sales Week 28, 2021 (12 Jul - 18 Jul)

01./00. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD (Nintendo) {2021.07.16}
02./01. [NSW] Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin (Justdan) {2021.07.09}
03./03. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.31}
04./04. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Nintendo) {2021.02.12}
05./00. [NSW] Mario Golf: Super Rush (Nintendo) {2021.06.25}

Top 5

NSW - 5

(South Korea)
Media Create Sales Week 28, 2021 (12 Jul - 18 Jul)

01./00. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD (Nintendo) {2021.07.16}
02./03. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.18}
03./04. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20}
04./00. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield (Pokemon Co.) {2019.11.15}
05./01. [NSW] Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin (Capcom) {2021.07.09}

Top 5

NSW - 5

gnn.gamer.com.tw

MediaCreate 7 月 12 日~7 月 18 日一週銷售排行榜 《薩爾達傳說 禦天之劍 HD》稱霸三地

巴哈姆特 GNN 與日本遊戲業界分析公司 MediaCreate 合作,每週定期刊載由 MediaCreate 調查與統計的日本、台灣與韓國地區家用遊樂器主機遊戲軟體的一週銷售排行榜,供玩家參考。 ※ 編按:因日本上週連假,統計資訊較晚釋出 《薩爾達傳說 禦天之劍 HD》 進入暑期後連續幾週都有多款新上市遊戲入榜,當週表現最突出的是經典 HD 化登場的《

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
unknown.png

I agree with a PS4 version being a good idea, and possibly a PS5 upgrade patch since they will likely be supporting the game for the upcoming 2 years.

I am also gutted that I bought this at full price digitally on launch day and could have got a nice discount. Oh well, the game checks out and is really fun to play 4 players locally. Already in my 2nd season of Star Player and enjoying every bit of it.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
gnn.gamer.com.tw

MediaCreate 7 月 12 日~7 月 18 日一週銷售排行榜 《薩爾達傳說 禦天之劍 HD》稱霸三地

巴哈姆特 GNN 與日本遊戲業界分析公司 MediaCreate 合作,每週定期刊載由 MediaCreate 調查與統計的日本、台灣與韓國地區家用遊樂器主機遊戲軟體的一週銷售排行榜,供玩家參考。 ※ 編按:因日本上週連假,統計資訊較晚釋出 《薩爾達傳說 禦天之劍 HD》 進入暑期後連續幾週都有多款新上市遊戲入榜,當週表現最突出的是經典 HD 化登場的《

Nice pic choice, Gamer.

Feb 9, 2018
I'm curious if they've stabilized as Chris has mentioned that demand has been met in 2021 in a way that was not in 2020.

Regarding the OLED's impact, I think it'll be popular enough to improve sales through the holidays, and that's it. My theory is that the only reason they haven't discontinued the OG already is bc they don't have nearly enough capacity for the OLED alone so they're trying to clear out inventory before transitioning everyone over.
@Bolded. That's what I'm thinking. October should be better than last year, definitely. For the 4-week period of Oct. 4 - 31, I think it ought to do at least 400k in total. During the Nov.+Dec. period, the Switch might be up slightly (Pokemon BD&SP is the big holiday release, but since the previous three remakes—FR&LG, HG&SS, and OR&AS—did hardly anything to boost sales, we shouldn't expect a big spike the week it releases, though there's a non-zero chance one could happen). But after the holidays, I think the OLED will have exhausted its potential to grow sales. I think 2021 will be a slower year overall than 2020 aside from the release weeks of certain high-profile games, namely the Arceus game, BotW2, and Splatoon 3.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think their point is that maybe they asked for a Switch entry and were refused by Bamco.
I don't think Bamco outright refuses anything other than their internal stuff. that's why I mentioned "random". there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why some external games make it and some don't. the only reason I can see making sense is if the developer makes the call on their own provided they have the resources (or they just don't want to port the game)

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I don't think Bamco outright refuses anything other than their internal stuff. that's why I mentioned "random". there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason why some external games make it and some don't. the only reason I can see making sense is if the developer makes the call on their own provided they have the resources (or they just don't want to port the game)
There have been anime games that missed the Switch before. That One Punch Man game did, I'm sure there must be others.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
If it's like the.Hack situation, then they could have been waiting to port to switch, but when the game bombed Bamco refused.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Well we know they're saying no to a late port of .Hack.

I was going to joke that they have something against games developed in Fukuoka but the NNK2 port is a thing...

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
When it comes to Bamco, the only thing that is certain is that there won't be a Switch version day 1. What and when said games comes it's a mystery. NNK2 is coming almost 4 years after its initial release date.

Oct 25, 2017
TBF Gotta enjoy the free Stadia money while it lasts. No Switch version is head-scratching, but a 2-years old port of a game that wasn't even well received(IIRC) isn't much to lament. Switch should have been there from the start.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I'm in the camp that at least on the Bandai side of the company the developer has a lot of say where their game ends up and who they want their audience to be. World Seeker was their first HD project outside of ports or co-development. Maybe wanted to make a splash and make it "big boy console" exclusive.