• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Did we talk much about Labo #3 here?
I think we all expect it to do better than Robot, but did we say much otherwise.

I wonder if it can compete with variety pack.
What it has going for it at the moment is perhaps the most appealing "game".
we'll see.

That real maple syrup be a blessing fam
probably true, but I'm trying to give up pancakes atm

Last edited:

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Predictions:

Switch: 2.55M
Mario Odyssey: 11.2M
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 10.5M
Breath of the Wild: 9.2M
Splatoon 2: 6.9M
1-2 Switch: 2.6M
Kirby Star Allies: 2.1M
ARMS: 2M
Xenoblade 2: 1.4M
Donkey Kong Country TF: 1.2M
Labo Variety: 1.1M
Mario Tennis Aces: 1M

vala

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey
11.17 million pcs.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
10.35 million pcs.
The Legend of Zelda:
Breath of the Wild
9.32 million pcs.
Splatoon 2
6.76 million pcs.
1-2-Switch
2.45 million pcs.
ARMS
2.01 million pcs.
Kirby Star Allies
1.89 million pcs.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
1.42 million pcs.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
1.40 million pcs.
Mario Tennis Aces
1.38 million pcs.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey
11.17m (+ 760k)

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
10.35m (+ 1.13m, nothing else is even close)

Zelda BOTW
9.32m (+ 840k)

Splatoon 2
6.76m (+740k wow close to Odyssey)

1-2 Switch
2.45m (+ 160k)

ARMS
2.01m (+ 160k, even with 1-2)

Kirby
1.89m (+630k)

Xenoblade 2
1.42m (+110k)

....DK: TF ( + 1.40 million. DK wins)

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Being down when last year was sold out it's definitely not good.
Still, they are still aiming to 20M sold this year. All the faith in at the end of the year.

Oct 26, 2017
Still, they are still aiming to 20M sold this year. All the faith in at the end of the year.

Labo Gun will guide them to victory.

Wonder if they'll release Labo Robot sales numbers, lol.

Poor Miyamoto's new game... In development hell forever and then releases and, uhh, yikes.

Oct 27, 2017
Last year also had the BotW and MK hype along with heavy stock shortages. Nintendo even said that they anticipated the first half of this year to be a bit lower in comparison, they're hedging all their bets on Fall and Winter.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
highlights (if my math is correct!):
19.67 million for lifetime switch sales
1.9 million for Q1 2018
86.93 million total software sales
17.96 million software in Q1 2018
Mario odyssey still the best selling game at 11.17 - 2 and a bit million below Galaxy
Mk8d passes 10 million
Donkey kong at 1.4 - wii u at 1.2 as of dec 2014
Tennis at 1.38

Last edited:

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
yeah we didn't a thread about MK8 passing 10m

If anything "deserved" a thread it was new Labo sales information.

but no one make one lol

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It being sold out last year doesnt mean that it didnt have strong sales....this was right after the launch (BotW still pushing) and they dropped Mario Kart in the beginning of that quarter. Meanwhile there was no massive release this year during that period.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I was close to throwing out a crazy prediction that Mario Tennis would outdo DK.
guess it's good that I didn't since DK won, but dang, it ended up being close.

both did higher than I thought. DK finally getting good sales again.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
yeah they do need to sell a dang lot but I don't doubt smash/pokemon will shoot it into the stratosphere and I'm not willing to count out Labo just yet

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hardware sales being down is definitely worse than I anticipated, I thought we'd see modest growth of around 10% this quarter. Still this quarter won't matter that much for their hardware target.

Nintendo needs around 82M units of software sales to reach their FY goal of 100M. I remember when they came out with their targets people were more skeptical of their software sales target.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
ARMS sold 2 million ya'll

2 million for a 3d fighting new IP

Considering there was talk of it getting basically no new shipments after the first shipped number we got id say that's even more impressive.

It's not a break out success like splatoon but it has continued to have decent legs under the radar like many switch titles.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not something worth celebrating at all, being an AAA new IP from Yabuki's team, this was supposed to be much more than just 2m
Sold more (or probably will sell more) than every Pikmin, almost every Metroid game, probably every single F-Zero game, more than most Starfox titles. Just because Yabuki does not mean they expect 10 million sales. That's just moronic thinking

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Switch Q1 was definitely weaker with respect to last year in terms of software. Last year the hardware was sold-out, though.

ARMS keeps selling---I guess we will see some new characters sooner or later.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
By what criteria? Look, it's not a Splatoon like mega-hit, but it is a hit none the less, and Nintendo is likely happy with these numbers.
There is a reason why they stopped giving meaningful supports for the game and only focused on small online events
Sold more (or probably will sell more) than every Pikmin, almost every Metroid game, probably every single F-Zero game, more than most Starfox titles. Just because Yabuki does not mean they expect 10 million sales. That's just moronic thinking
And no, comparing it to F Zero and Pikmin don't prove your point any bit

Oct 27, 2017
it'll get a sequel eventually, but not "soon".

By soon, I mean around late summer 2019. It's done well enough for the team to pursue more of it, and given Splatoon 2's short development time while making many improvements over the original, Yabuki and the team can heavily build on ARMS in a similar time frame.

There is a reason why they stopped giving meaningful supports for the game and only focused on small online events

Doesn't mean it's a failure though. If anything, it only further proves my theory that the team is already working on a sequel, because any changes made to the gameplay would be better done in a new game.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
It being sold out last year doesnt mean that it didnt have strong sales....this was right after the launch (BotW still pushing) and they dropped Mario Kart in the beginning of that quarter. Meanwhile there was no massive release this year during that period.

Last year with 1,97m wasn't strong either.
1,88m is weak, no matter how we look at it.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And no, comparing it to F Zero and Pikmin don't prove your point any bit
You're also the one implying that Splatoon 2, a game still selling to this day and sold over 6.5 million copies in less than a year, which can barely scrape up a year and a half of content support before "closing its doors" must mean it's a failure?

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't mean it's a failure though. If anything, it only further proves my theory that the team is already working on a sequel, because any changes made to the gameplay would be better done in a new game.
I was not saying it was a failure, I was saying it's not worth celebrating. The game was treated as a big summer title of the first year of the switch, having large marketing from nintendo, it should be more than 2 million after a year on the market. Sure, it didn't bomb, or being a failure, but it is disappointing
You're also the one implying that Splatoon 2, a game still selling to this day and sold over 6.5 million copies in less than a year, which can barely scrape up a year and a half of content support before "closing its doors" must mean it's a failure?
And when did I say any of these? Can I have a source of what I said about these things

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
By soon, I mean around late summer 2019. It's done well enough for the team to pursue more of it, and given Splatoon 2's short development time while making many improvements over the original, Yabuki and the team can heavily build on ARMS in a similar time frame.
no way imo.

Splatoon 2 was a different team and is a franchise with supernova potential. Getting a sequel out was a priority for Nintendo in Japan. Especially somewhat near launch. No such incentive exists for ARMS

Oct 27, 2017
I was not saying it was a failure, I was saying it's not worth celebrating. The game was treated as a big summer title of the first year of the switch, having large marketing from nintendo, it should be more than 2 million after a year on the market. Sure, it didn't bomb, or being a failure, but it is disappointing

Nintendo never goes into a new concept, let alone a new software IP thinking its going to be a massive hit, especially at launch. Splatoon and the Switch itself completely blew their expectations out of the water, meanwhile stuff like ARMS, Nintendo Labo, 1-2 Switch all sold as expected. These games had decent marketing campaigns, but were never intended to be massive sellers on launch. ARMS was successful enough for Nintendo to continue perusing the property, with the Dark Horse comic and the fact that they still regularly promote the game, despite no more updates.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

IMO, Arms would have been far more successful had it launched this year rather than last. Being sandwiched between MK8D and Splatoon 2 didn't help it's overall sales.

Oct 27, 2017
no way imo.

Splatoon 2 was a different team and is a franchise with supernova potential. Getting a sequel out was a priority for Nintendo in Japan. Especially somewhat near launch. No such incentive exists for ARMS

ARMS has a whole lot of room for improvement from a gameplay perspective, and Yabuki has already gone on record saying he wants to make a sequel. If Yabuki wants a sequel soon, Nintendo will let him do it. The fact that the game is no longer getting updates leads me to believe that ARMS 2 is coming much sooner than anyone expects.