• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Octopath was an expected drop but I can't help but think SE fucked up for the long term here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 games rarely have legs so I am happy to see Detroit performing well. Maybe it can inspire some JP publishers that struggle to find new ideas for their games.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Octopath was an expected drop but I can't help but think SE fucked up for the long term here.

Without knowing the digital numbers, it is still hard to say.

If a big part of people wanting the game finally bought the game digitally it could even have a positive effect : less used copy filling the 2nd-hand market and therefore potentially bigger legs.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So are we to assume that none of the Sonic Mania plus charted?
No one cares about Sonic in Japan.

The original Mania did surprisingly okay there last year, at least on Nintendo Switch. According to Nintendo themselves, Mania was Japan's 22nd best-selling Switch eShop game in 2017, and surveyed players liked it enough for it to land #17 on a poll of the most-recommended games on the platform.

With that in mind, you'd think the Mania Plus re-release would had at least charted somewhere this week, especially considering its budget price and included bonus content (which even included the soundtrack and a special reversible cover, unlike other territories).

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda is outlegging both Kirby and Odyssey.

This shows the uniqueness of Breath of the Wild and also the overcrowding of platforms on Switch.
Kirby and Odyssey have both had totally respectable legs, though- I don't think there's any danger of overcrowding.

Zelda's legs are astonishing, but we shouldn't use that game's performance as a stick to beat others with.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Any chance of Taiko coming to the US?

The logo for the english version was datamined few days ago

taikodrumnfun2_thumb.png

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/07/2...m-n-fun-logo-datamined-from-japanese-version/

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Gonna to be interesting to see when S-E can restock enough Octopath so the sales actually go up week on week. If they can even restock it in time to make that happen that is.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do wonder what it is that keeps the Vita over 4k weekly.

Also, it's too bad that it will probably never reach 6 million.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
Top 12 Nintendomination. Simply incredible.
Also dem Zelda legs. Splatoon 2 killing it as always and OT drop expected given the shortages.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo top 10 is pretty impressive. Not sure how long it's been since it last happened. Octopath is currently #1 on the eShop even in the US, in any case I imagine SE is ecstatic over the results.
I recall them diverting some studios to work on more switch software so maybe those games would get a boost thanks to the strong result.
Thankfully happened early on so SE can act on it instead of Bravely Default's "lets make some low budget top down JRPGs for other platforms"

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Swan song for 3DS next week. There are still a few games coming this year but nothing has a specific date after 2 August. Luigi's Mansion and Persona Q2 are the only remarkable.

Etrian Odyssey X has the power to top 100k LTD, WarioWare will open low but 50k+ are possible in the end. Minecraft bundle could move some units.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Those WoW Zelda bumps are incredible. I'm really happy to see that.

Regarding Octopath, what's the usual ratio of physical to digital in Japan? Would people there just get it digitally if it's not restocked fast enough?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Regarding Octopath, what's the usual ratio of physical to digital in Japan? Would people there just get it digitally if it's not restocked fast enough?

For Switch it's like 10% at best. We haven't had an Octopath situation since Xenoverse 2 though

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

Historically they usually buy used, however with such high demand, and used prices still being high, the digital ratio is probably higher than usual.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
S-E YOU FOOLS

Otherwise, the authorities are on their way because Nintendo is killing it.

Oct 27, 2017
06./05. [NSW] Minecraft <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 16.265 / 138.051 (+8%)

The road to 1 million begins!

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I think xenoblade x and xenoblade 2 both had higher than typical digital sales according to famitsu's estimates.

I think so for X. 2 I'm pretty sure is around 10% though.

Less than 10% seems low for major titles. I imagine the genre and file size has much to do with it; botw's digital attach rate is probably pretty Garbo due to it being a launch title and being rather large

Digital just isn't big in Japan. On PS4 its like 15%

Christo750

May 10, 2018
For Switch it's like 10% at best. We haven't had an Octopath situation since Xenoverse 2 though
That low?? That's wild.

Historically they usually buy used, however with such high demand, and used prices still being high, the digital ratio is probably higher than usual.
It interests me that Japan tends to prefer handhelds but still goes physical with games. Convenience & travel seem to be the appeal but they'd prefer to carry around all those little cards. Not saying it's bad, in fact at launched I loved it; it's just digital made more sense to me over time due to not having much room to store boxes and game cases.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Since sell outs were widespread last week Famitsu might show a little different numbers for Octopath Traveler.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
next week Octopath numbers should be great, i guess a slighly decrease maybe since this week had shortages?

Good numbers all around.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Well it's weird then that last holiday season when Sony bundled every PS4 with Everybody's Golf download code those sales were not counted. Or when back in a day Sony bundled download codes of Bloodborne with every PS4 for a while.

That was a game for free, not a bundle.
Hardware should have a price increase to be considered a bundle for the trackers,