• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Y'all talking about an ARMS 2 and here I am hoping they skip that and go straight to ARMS 3. The more arms the better!

/s.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
See my other post right above here :) Why not include digital only games when talking about total software sales?
I guess that they don't make a very large contribution to the bottom line yet. If your selling a million download only games a week and you getting 3 dollar commission on average, that means 3 million a week for around 13 weeks contributing 39 million while at the same time it would almost double the software shipment number from 18 million to 31 million.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that they don't make a very large contribution to the bottom line yet. If your selling a million download only games a week and you getting 3 dollar commission on average, that means 3 million a week for around 13 weeks contributing 39 million while at the same time it would almost double the software shipment number from 18 million to 31 million.
Yeah, that could be, but wouldnt they seperate those things in their earning reports in that case? I just checked the .pdf from Nintendo and they do actually mention how much they made from digital content in Q1. Its 18.5 billion yen, or about 166 million US dollars.

It also says "Software sales units include both packaged and downloadable versions of software" as a note to the 17.96 million units of software sales. I read that as both package/retail copies and download only versions.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that could be, but wouldnt they seperate those things in their earning reports in that case? I just checked the .pdf from Nintendo and they do actually mention how much they made from digital content in Q1. Its 18.5 billion yen, or about 166 million US dollars.

It also says "Software sales units include both packaged and downloadable versions of software" as a note to the 17.96 million units of software sales. I read that as both package/retail copies and download only versions.
It means both digital and retails sales of games that have a retail presence. It doesnt count digital only.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
There were restocks at many retailers for Octopath Traveler today. If copies last until tomorrow and don't disappear again wee can say this will be a good week.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It means both digital and retails sales of games that have a retail presence. It doesnt count digital only.

I believe it was figured out that it means digital and retail sales of games that either have a retail version, or have a retail version planned/announced for the future. So Minecraft sales would be on there from last year because it was planned to have a retail version.

The number of available SKUs wouldn't add up otherwise.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
LOL. People now saying ARMS didn't sell well. It's still selling and has amazing numbers for a 3d 1v1 fighter. I'd like to have seen some predictions ahead of time.

Right, look that, from oscar lemaire (WW shipments, physical + digital)

Dja-RNdXsAE4JRc.jpg

https://twitter.com/oscarlemaire/status/1024215269827330049

:p

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Using Street Fighter 5 as comparison isn't doing Arms any favors for its performance.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Not sure if already known/posted here (maybe it was discussed in the other thread), but Digimon World seems to be developed by Witchcraft (never heard of them?):

Richmond, UK – 30th July, 2018: BANDAI Namco Entertainment Europe and WITCHCRAFT announce a brand-new adventure/tactical RPG for PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC Digital - Digimon Survive.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Updated Japanese numbers for Splatoon 2, Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey at next quarter, all of them will break 1m ww at 6 months period, maybe Kirby too.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I remember some people saying ARMS wouldn't be able to sell more than it's initial shipment. The game did get it's share of negativity, but I'm glad it was able to sell more than 2 million and it can only go up from there. Best character designs I have seen from Nintendo in recent times.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Lol I remember some people saying ARMS wouldn't be able to sell more than it's initial shipment. The game did get it's share of negativity, but I'm glad it was able to sell more than 2 million and it can only go up from there. Best character designs I have seen from Nintendo in recent times.
Yeah, it's good to see that the game is doing well.

Why not? Nintendo's made sequels on the same console before. There's no reason ARMS can't get a Switch sequel.
I mean, while I could theoretically see EPD Kyoto getting away with launching ARMS 2 in 2020 or so, it's more likely that they'll save it & MK9 for the next system.

Oct 27, 2017
Genuine question, have they made sequels of multiplayer games on the same console before?

Not traditionally, but ARMS stopped receiving updates months ago, and given that Nintendo's gone on record to say that their games need to have more constant updates, it leads me to believe that ARMS 2 is coming much sooner than everyone thinks.

I mean, while I could theoretically see EPD Kyoto getting away with making ARMS 2 in 2020 or so, it's more likely that they'll save it & MK9 for the next system.

But there's no real reason not to make a sequel now, especially since Nintendo is relying more on content updates to support their games now. I believe ARMS 2 is coming simply because the game no longer gets updates.

It stopped getting character/stage/ARMS updates, yes. But since the end of said updates, we've gotten new modes & even an extension on Party Crash support.

Last update IIRC was back around March or April, and was possibly already finished prior to that. As for Party Crashes, they don't cost much to run, thus they're a cheap way of keeping the game on life support until the next entry arrives, which again, will be much sooner than everyone thinks.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Not traditionally, but ARMS stopped receiving updates months ago, and given that Nintendo's gone on record to say that their games need to have more constant updates, it leads me to believe that ARMS 2 is coming much sooner than everyone thinks.
It stopped getting character/stage/ARMS updates, yes. But since the end of said updates, we've gotten new modes & even an extension on Party Crash support.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Clearly we need a crossover between ARMS and Splatoon.

ARMS 8.
Hedlok already has 6 arms, just give him two more!

And I continue to assert that the only way ARMS 2 will hit the (current) Switch is if it introduces a new gameplay mechanic that changes the dynamics of the meta, even if I can't think of what it could be. If it's just new characters/stages and a few game modes, it'd be easier to introduce that as DLC and avoid splitting the player base.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
And I continue to assert that the only way ARMS 2 will hit the (current) Switch is if it introduces a new gameplay mechanic that changes the dynamics of the meta, even if I can't think of what it could be. If it's just new characters/stages and a few game modes, it'd be easier to introduce that as DLC and avoid splitting the player base.
I think what TheMisterManGuy is mainly saying is that Nintendo would stand to gain more by making a bigger impression up-front with ARMS 2 having a ton of more content (story mode, more characters, etc.) than they would adding more to the original game. With that said, I do agree that Nintendo may avoid splitting the player-base unless there's a huge mechanical change that they want to introduce.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It does not make sense to do an ARMS 2 in Switch. Any. If people are so desperate for a story mode and look for a narrative where it fit, they should ask for an octoexpansion.

Armsexpansion.

Oct 26, 2017
Arms seems like Pikmin in that EPD should probably just outsource those games because they're not as popular as Mario and Zelda and Animal Crossing and Splatoon.

Oct 27, 2017
I think what TheMisterManGuy is mainly saying is that Nintendo would stand to gain more by making a bigger impression up-front with ARMS 2 having a ton of more content (story mode, more characters, etc.) than they would adding more to the original game. With that said, I do agree that Nintendo may avoid splitting the player-base unless there's a huge mechanical change that they want to introduce.

Not necessarily that. You see, ARMS is a great game, but it's more a great proof-of-concept than a game with serious longevity. It plays well and looks great, but it being a first entry, it feels somewhat rough. A sequel has a chance to make a ton of refinements and improvements to the gameplay. Like making the ARMS travel speeds faster, doubling the arena sizes to compensate for it, adding special abilities for each character/ARM using simple Joy-Con gestures, a deeper combo system, and a host of other technical and gameplay improvements/changes/additions that could really make ARMS blossom not just in the FGC, but also among casual gamers.

Arms seems like Pikmin in that EPD should probably just outsource those games because they're not as popular as Mario and Zelda and Animal Crossing and Splatoon.
Lol why? EPD is more than capable of making anything they want. They're not strictly a Mario and Zelda house.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
As Chris said here, many stores have received octopath units today (big stores and small stores) but i saw almost very low quantities only, examples:

GEO store
(New article) has arrived Limited in number Please visit us as soon as possible
DjaD_p5U8AAepFJ.jpg

Another GEO store
This item will be sold out very quickly, hurry before it runs out
DjZc1uRUYAIgW69.jpg

Sofmap store
Since few arrival, purchase as soon as possible!
DjaN60FUUAAI_mo.jpg

Otasou horita
the number is small, please visit as soon as possible
DjZZFA4UwAA-oQi.jpg

ojamakansan
it will be sold out today, please come see us as soon as possible.
DjbX1IYU8AAY2eF.jpg

Next1nabari, seagull, ojamanagai, ojyamasaki, GEO nihonbashi, Sofmap ikebukuro and more, all received low or very low quantities, repurchase prices are always so high (i saw between 4.600/6.050 yen)

Very rare restocks yesterday, more today but low/very low quantities, we'll see tomorrow and next days, wait and see :)

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017

I think its too soon for that.

Animal crossing didnt start with a huge selling potential but sales increased significantly with later entries. Zelda has been a 5 to 7 million seller for a while now but now were looking at a potential of 20 million. Pikmin had several entries by Miyamoto and they are still interested in that IP.

They need to work on some things for ARMS but the potential is there. I think it deserves a second chance with a bigger budget.

Oct 26, 2017
I think its too soon for that.

Animal crossing didnt start with a huge selling potential but sales increased significantly with later entries. Zelda has been a 5 to 7 million seller for a while now but now were looking at a potential of 20 million. Pikmin had several entries by Miyamoto and they are still interested in that IP.

They need to work on some things for ARMS but the potential is there. I think it deserves a second chance with a bigger budget.

I don't see the potential personally but I guess they can give it another chance before deciding to mostly outsource it.

Oct 26, 2017
Since Yabuki has love for the IP I doubt that will happen. He probably has ideas on how to make the game bigger.

You may not see it, but there is definitely potential especially in the characters and the world.

I mean, it's a 1v1 game with no interesting randomization elements so anyone who isn't good at fighting games immediately gets destroyed which doesn't seem growth friendly to me and which seems wildly different from all of Nintendo's other successful multiplayer games.

We'll see how well it does if they actually include a long story mode next time though I guess.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
2,92m

This year will be down again.
I doubt it, Switch will have a strong summer inside and outside of Japan.

Since August is here next direct must not be very far and will reveal Nintendo's plans for Q3 and Q4. Anything important that will launch this Fiscal Year will be in there and many things have been hinted so far.

Oct 26, 2017
The full line up might not be clear until January, I felt like I was the only one expecting Kirby for March instead of the following FY.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Kirby was already known it didn't appear suddenly.

What has been rumoured, hinted, speculated so far for this year is:

New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
Mario Maker
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Nintendo Labo Vol.4
Fire Emblem
Nintendo 64 Mini

With the exception of Labo that will have its own spot and maybe Nintendo 64 Mini everything from these or unannounced that will come out until March will be at next direct.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
I think Metroid Prime Trilogy, Mario Maker 2, and Fire Emblem Three Houses would be a great Q4 lineup and. New Super Mario Bros DX seems like something this year in my opinion.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kirby was already known it didn't appear suddenly.

What has been rumoured, hinted, speculated so far for this year is:

New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
Mario Maker
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Nintendo Labo Vol.4
Fire Emblem
Nintendo 64 Mini

With the exception of Labo that will have its own spot and maybe Nintendo 64 Mini everything from these or unannounced that will come out until March will be at next direct.

It's weird to have two 2D mario platformer releasing in a short timeframe. I think there has been some bogus informations in the mix.

Oct 26, 2017
I think Metroid Prime Trilogy, Mario Maker 2, and Fire Emblem Three Houses would be a great Q4 lineup and. New Super Mario Bros DX seems like something this year in my opinion.

Mario Maker 2 could happen in Jan-March, but that seems REALLY close to NSMBU Deluxe in possibly late October so I think June would make more sense.

Mario Maker is more of a meme game than a platformer most of the time, but it's still fairly similar to NSMBU.

Fire Emblem looked really far away so I would guess May or June also. It looked pretty rough.

I think Prime Trilogy will come out between January and March though.