• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really interested to see how FE3H is received in Japan. Hoping it has good WOM because I'm loving it personally.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
So taking Omega out of the title results in the PS4 version being 2000 yen cheaper than the Switch version? Gotta pay that boob tax I guess.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Perverts really don't fuss much over ¥2000, but the pro-Sony group will prefer the PS4 version even though it lacks some features they probably wish it had.

Oct 25, 2017
2000 yen cheaper for less lewd stuff and no portability. Its a bigger discount compared to the international release, where OLL is $59.99/€59.99 and LL is $49.99/€49.99.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
This multiplat combo pretty much incapsulates the majority of their current gen lineup until recently. As seen with God Eater 3 and DBF they will also port games that had no PSV version.
Just looking at 2019 Bandai Namco multiplatform announcements

without Switch SKU
Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris
Tales of Arise
Elden Ring
One Punch Man: A Hero Nobody Knows

with Switch SKU
SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays
Rad
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Remastered
Jumanji: The Video Game
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4

From the four high profile games that also have big sales potential Switch got only one and that's mainly because Koei Tecmo is involved.

Last edited:

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018

with Switch SKU
Rad

From the four high profile games that also have big sales potential Switch got only one and that's mainly because Koei Tecmo is involved.
Remember Switch isn't even getting Remastered, just the PS3 port.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
If Level 5 hadn't embraced Switch as company's major platform maybe it wouldn't get neither that.

I guess you have to count your blessings where you can. PS3 port > no port.

And the cherry on top is that at least in Europe the Switch version is more expensive than the PS4 version (10 euros difference between both SKUs).
That's beyond ridiculous. I really almost feel that the 'Switch Tax' meme is something companies just use to milk an extra 10 bucks from consumers for shits and giggles.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
This turned to be a mediocre to bar year year between Switch and Bandai Namco multiplatform announcements. Right when there were signs they would finally catch up they fell even more behind. Tales was the critical point, since it skipped Switch it's unlikely there will be improvement next year too.

It appears when they talked for ramping Switch support up they were only thinking for Vita scale releases. Not that everything that doesn't land on Switch is higher budget, Sword Art Online and One Man Punch don't belong in that category.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017

without Switch SKU
Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris
Tales of Arise
Elden Ring
One Punch Man: A Hero Nobody Knows

with Switch SKU
Rad

That most of BandaiNamco still haven't adjusted to day and date releases for Switch and that they'll likely continue with starting Switch ports after the original is done isn't a secret and a different point from what I was trying to say. With Harada at an even higher position and his mindset of having flashy games for the sake of the Western market, as stated in an Interview with Monolithsofts Takahashi shortly before Tales oft Arises announcement, it's not like he is particularly interested in pushing Switch SKUs. But it still needs to be pointed out that he had no problem with PS3 to PSP ports of Tekken and Soul Calibur games.

BandaiNamco is porting their current gen catalog at a fast pace to Switch on top of a select few exclusive games and it's an interesting coincidence that games with Haradas more hands on involvement haven't been ported yet, while they are doubling down on a niche and almost Japan exclusive IPs such as SRW.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
The line of thinking that Bandai Namco is giving Switch late ports is off too.

The number of PS4/XB1/PC projects that have released on Switch later is very limited, it's 10-20% of their output every year.

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what will happen with God Eater IP and if Bandai Namco thinks the late port on Switch was worth it.

We already have Japanese numbers where it shows a very mediocre performance (not much above 50.000 lifetime sales?) as with most late releases and in the West is tanking as hard as on PlayStation 4 selling in major European markets 200 - 300 units in its first week (UK, Spain, Italy).

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Full priced late direct ports will be tougher sellers on Switch as time passes, especially if they had already very low sales at other systems. There are many alternative options comparing to 1-2 years ago.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Bandai Namco's expectations in Europe regarding Ni No Kuni on Switch are near zero because I don't see a time line where it will sell at 60 euros. At least in Japan and the US there seems to be price parity.

n1nt1nsu1t

Oct 29, 2017
BandaiNamco is porting their current gen catalog at a fast pace to Switch on top of a select few exclusive games and it's an interesting coincidence that games with Haradas more hands on involvement haven't been ported yet, while they are doubling down on a niche and almost Japan exclusive IPs such as SRW.

i agree. He hasn't been very supportive of anything with the Switch, even with it's rapid growth. IMO he needs to get off his high horse

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
The line of thinking that Bandai Namco is giving Switch late ports is off too.

The number of PS4/XB1/PC projects that have released on Switch later is very limited, it's 10-20% of their output every year.

Putting current gen games with a PSV version in the "doesn't count" category isn't helping anyone. The combination of easier to port and the type of games supposedly fitting the Switch audience more lead to this low risk strategy. But that's no reason to ignore the actual output. It's also not like no one is pointing out that they are doing a bad job with more recent and upcoming games, Switch is clearly an afterthought for bigger projects.

Code Vein seems to be in the same boat as God Eater 3 and the new Sword Art Online game isn't something that can be excluded either at this point.

From the PS4/PSV pool they are porting almost a whole generation worth of games output that is actually worth porting within a few years, basically the best of SAO, Digimon, SRW, and they are doing this at notable pace. It's not like there is an unlimited selection of viable games left, going forward I doubt they will limit themselves to this 'category" of games, that's like expecting them to stop working on Switch ports in the mid term of the generation.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what will happen with God Eater IP and if Bandai Namco thinks the late port on Switch was worth it.

We already have Japanese numbers where it shows a very mediocre performance (not much above 50.000 lifetime sales?) as with most late releases and in the West is tanking as hard as on PlayStation 4 selling in major European markets 200 - 300 units in its first week (UK, Spain, Italy).

Well, numbers doubling when considering PS4+Switch launch aligned is something at least!

Seriously, don't know what Namco should do with the franchise: a Switch/PS4 simultaneous release would've helped, but I'm not sure if that would've solved the problems the game witnessed, especially how the West flat out ignored the fact it came out (twice). I'd say they should try at least one more time with the current framework, but this time starting the project as a PS4/Switch/XBO/PC game, ramping up both the content (IIRC, the amount of monsters is smaller compared to other games in the series - granted, that didn't stop MH:W from selling as well as it did) and the advertising (no, I'm not talking about the Switch version alone; the PS4 original release didn't feel *that* promoted either. Probably, the product itself / pre-launch tracking discouraged Namco from putting more effort there). But yeah, don't have any specific advice, unfortunately.

Hopefully the Switch version can leg out a bit more: 75% is a bit steeper than I hoped for the second week, but it's not the kind of second-week drop that crashes any hope for mid-long term legs (80+%).

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
Lite targets mostly children respectively their parents who don't want to pay the price for the big Switch when Pokemon releases, but even for this target group the big Switch has many advantages, like the ability to play coop games. Of course handheld only gamers and people who are not able/willing to buy the big Switch at the higher price will buy the Lite too, but after launch the Lite Switch will probably only satisfy a relatively small fraction of the Switch market.

You're mostly right, excpect for the last sentance imo. Children, Nintendo handhelds enthousiasts and people who cares about value (like, not wanting to pay more for gimmick you won't use) are a quite big market though and the Switch Lite is directly targeted at them. I still stand by my prediction of Switch Lite overtaking the OG model very quickly.

To be fair, I've seen plenty of Metroid fans with a grudge against Nintendo.

I don't have a grudge against Nintendo, even if I'm not their biggest fan. But yes, as a Metroid fan, there are some reasons to be upset. It has nothing to do with my takes on sales topic in general though, there are just my honest opinions.

Are you kidding me? I was about to quote and tell them that they better not get banned because I want to see how all of their spicy predictions and takes they amassed ever since they started posting will be disproven.

It seems your wish has been granted.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like Japanese devs are mostly working on next gen titles because its the perfect time to invest in new IP or re invent existing IP. A 3 to 4 year development cycle for big games means a lot of resources are already being used for next gen development and quite frankly that might be hurting Switch support. There aren't that many porting studios in Japan.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
It's good to see many users finally recognize how the initial barren (and it's a compliment) third party switch support wasn't just a matter of them being slow as usual to transit from a gen to another
And how once the console proved itself being successful, it was/is already too late for various projects, being them preparing next gen projects (cross between ps4 and 5)

Unfortunately, nintendo was unable imho to properly sell the switch as the next big thing, prior to its release

JustALurker

Feb 12, 2019
It feels like Japanese devs are mostly working on next gen titles because its the perfect time to invest in new IP or re invent existing IP. A 3 to 4 year development cycle for big games means a lot of resources are already being used for next gen development and quite frankly that might be hurting Switch support. There aren't that many porting studios in Japan.
Do you think many are thinking that it's not worth making a switch version of games when the other 3 platforms have a large enough install base? If you think about it, for 4 years developers did fine without a 4th console and maybe they don't see the need to add the switch to their plans.

I don't really agree with the idea but it's a possibility as to why games from Bandai Namco and Capcom miss the system (some are difficult because of technical limitations, though some miss out for no good reason).

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
It's good to see many users finally recognize how the initial barren (and it's a compliment) third party switch support wasn't just a matter of them being slow as usual to transit from a gen to another
And how once the console proved itself being successful, it was/is already too late for various projects, being them preparing next gen projects (cross between ps4 and 5)

Unfortunately, nintendo was unable imho to properly sell the switch as the next big thing, prior to its release

What specifically are you talking about besides the current discussion on Namco? It is an absolute fact that the "barren" 3rd party support Switch received in its first year has dramatically changed. Its literally not up for debate. You seem to ignore announcements and trends until a game misses the Switch and then you make these incredibly broad statements arguing that your initial opinion (which again, was basically saying Switch 3rd party support was always going to be awful) has been proved correct.

Its really terrible cherry picking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Really, let's not go back to what was predicted for Switch inside Media Create threads, from sales to first and third party support.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019

It's not that much on Nintendo imo. The hybrid concept was a novelty, which makes it a though thing to sell to publishers and the Wii U failure was far too recent, far too big. I doubt Nintendo could have done anything in this case, it was bound to happen. I also doubt big it will change in the future.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
What specifically are you talking about besides the current discussion on Namco? It is an absolute fact that the "barren" 3rd party support Switch received in its first year has dramatically changed. Its literally not up for debate. You seem to ignore announcements and trends until a game misses the Switch and then you make these incredibly broad statements arguing that your initial opinion (which again, was basically saying Switch 3rd party support was always going to be awful) has been proved correct.

Its really terrible cherry picking.

I agree. Ignores every positive announcement but jumps out of the woodwork the second he sees the opportunity to be "concerned". The Switch was supposed to have almost no 3rd party support, according to some experts in moving goalpostology. Disingenous to a ridiculous degree.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
You're mostly right, excpect for the last sentance imo. Children, Nintendo handhelds enthousiasts and people who cares about value (like, not wanting to pay more for gimmick you won't use) are a quite big market though and the Switch Lite is directly targeted at them. I still stand by my prediction of Switch Lite overtaking the OG model very quickly.

I don't have a grudge against Nintendo, even if I'm not their biggest fan. But yes, as a Metroid fan, there are some reasons to be upset. It has nothing to do with my takes on sales topic in general though, there are just my honest opinions.

It seems your wish has been granted.

Welcome back. Please behave and don't get yourself banned until at least the Christmas season because that's when I expect Mario Maker 2 to reach a million copies sold at retail in Japan. :)

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think many are thinking that it's not worth making a switch version of games when the other 3 platforms have a large enough install base? If you think about it, for 4 years developers did fine without a 4th console and maybe they don't see the need to add the switch to their plans.

I don't really agree with the idea but it's a possibility as to why games from Bandai Namco and Capcom miss the system (some are difficult because of technical limitations, though some miss out for no good reason).

In the ideal situation a couple of good Japanese porting studios would help a lot but as it stands right now big budget games from Japanese publishers will most likely skip Switch with a few exceptions here and there because of a lack of resources.

Medium budget games though should make it over more often than not because regardless of platform count, mid budget games are a good fit for Switch just like AAA games are a good fit for PS/Xbox. I still don't understand why a game like Nier Automata isn't ported over. That game would have sold well.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
It is an absolute fact that the "barren" 3rd party support Switch received in its first year has dramatically changed. Its literally not up for debate.

Being better than first year doesn't mean it's good for everyone though. Many people complain that Switch third-party support isn't where they want it to be.

Welcome back. Please behave and don't get yourself banned until at least the Christmas season because that's when I expect Mario Maker 2 to reach a million copies sold at retail in Japan. :)

Even if it does happen, it's not like it's really important in the end. I'm more interested in seeing wether or not Pokemon will decline further in Japan, because that's the biggest release of this year for Switch. That and wether or not Switch Lite will overtake the OG model in Japan by a wide margin. Mario Maker 2 barely matters this year.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense for Sega to change Sakura Taisen to an ARPG. There's clearly just no market for SRPGs any more.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Switch has gotten nearly all the mid size and small publishers entirely onboard. Nintendo's problem now is with the 5 largest publishers and their inconsistent support.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Why we have exactly the same conversation every week
The problem relies more at how everyone chooses to see things from his own view. Switch third party support is very clear for every notable publisher.

Square Enix - Enix fully on board, Square increasing rapidly, Eidos at zero
Koei Tecmo - Fully on board, exponential increase from previous Nintendo systems
Bandai Namco - Increase from 3DS, sees Switch as only handheld and ignores it for most PS4/XB1/PC releases
Capcom - Sharp decrease from 3DS, with the exception of Mega Man zero serious support
Sega - Increase from 3DS, Nagoshi projects are mainly the big ones that are completely absent
Atlus - Weak support so far, down from 3DS with no signs of changing that anytime soon
Level 5 - full support
Marvelous - full support
Nippon Ichi Software - full support
Spik Chunsoft - very weak support
Nihon Falcom - zero support
From Software - zero support

Many other small Japanese companies that were unknown to Nintendo before have jumped to Switch, the huge increase at output is mainly because of them.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The problem relies more at how everyone chooses to see things from his own view. Switch third party support is very clear for every notable publisher.

Square Enix - Enix fully on board, Square increasing rapidly, Eidos at zero
Koei Tecmo - Fully on board, exponential increase from previous Nintendo systems
Bandai Namco - Increase from 3DS, sees Switch as only handheld and ignores it for most PS4/XB1/PC releases
Capcom - Sharp decrease from 3DS, with the exception of Mega Man zero serious support
Sega - Increase from 3DS, Nagoshi projects are mainly the big ones that are completely absent
Atlus - Weak support so far, down from 3DS with no signs of changing that anytime soon
Level 5 - full support
Marvelous - full support
Nippon Ichi Software - full support
Spik Chunsoft - very weak support
Nihon Falcom - zero support
From Software - zero support

Many other small Japanese companies that were unknown to Nintendo before have jumped to Switch, the huge increase at output is mainly because of them.
Nothing to add here, it is a good summary.