• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't call one game in the genre selling well a healthy genre. At least it means there's potential, but we saw how Valkyria Chronicles 4 did

It's kind of bizarre though that basically no SRPG series has attempted to mimic FE Awakening and Fates. They've just mostly continued as they were before (many FFTs inspired games for example) or their own unique takes on the genre like Valkyria Chronicles. Fire Emblem apparently even now with its success just doesn't exist to other Japanese developers.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Why we have exactly the same conversation every week
Preach.

The crazy part is that it will never end, no matter how much support plattform X receives....because a certain portion of the thread will never be satisfied unless there is parity even though there are massive differences between both relevant plattforms.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
The problem relies more at how everyone chooses to see things from his own view. Switch third party support is very clear for every notable publisher.

Square Enix - Enix fully on board, Square increasing rapidly, Eidos at zero
Koei Tecmo - Fully on board, exponential increase from previous Nintendo systems
Bandai Namco - Increase from 3DS, sees Switch as only handheld and ignores it for most PS4/XB1/PC releases
Capcom - Sharp decrease from 3DS, with the exception of Mega Man zero serious support
Sega - Increase from 3DS, Nagoshi projects are mainly the big ones that are completely absent
Atlus - Weak support so far, down from 3DS with no signs of changing that anytime soon
Level 5 - full support
Marvelous - full support
Nippon Ichi Software - full support
Spik Chunsoft - very weak support
Nihon Falcom - zero support
From Software - zero support

Many other small Japanese companies that were unknown to Nintendo before have jumped to Switch, the huge increase at output is mainly because of them.

Can we just pin this to every MC thread

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of bizarre though that basically no SRPG series has attempted to mimic FE Awakening and Fates. They've just mostly continued as they were before (many FFTs inspired games for example) or their own unique takes on the genre like Valkyria Chronicles. Fire Emblem apparently even now with its success just doesn't exist to other Japanese developers.
I think part of the problem is costs. The companies that can match FE don't seem to make SRPGs anymore, and the ones that do seem to have some other issue. Sega falls into the latter. VC might not be as expansive as 3H, but it looks the part. And they aren't going to even try with Sakura Wars even though it's more closer to 3H than anything else out there.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
FE is one franchise within the SRPG genre. It's mostly dead outside of it.

One game selling good doesn't mean the whole genre is healthy.

Sounds a bit like a certain game about hunting monsters that everyone is convinced Japanese publishers should be emulating.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
Sounds a bit like a certain game about hunting monsters that everyone is convinced Japanese publishers should be emulating.

Many tried to emulate MH formula, to no avail. I don't know why it would be smart to try to emulate a less successful formula like FE.

Yokai Watch was successful at emulate Pokemon, for a time, before the nosedive we all witnessed recently.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
The problem relies more at how everyone chooses to see things from his own view. Switch third party support is very clear for every notable publisher.

Koei Tecmo - Fully on board, exponential increase from previous Nintendo systems
Bandai Namco - Increase from 3DS, sees Switch as only handheld and ignores it for most PS4/XB1/PC releases
Capcom - Sharp decrease from 3DS, with the exception of Mega Man zero serious support
Sega - Increase from 3DS, Nagoshi projects are mainly the big ones that are completely absent
Atlus - Weak support so far, down from 3DS with no signs of changing that anytime soon
Level 5 - full support
Marvelous - full support

Many other small Japanese companies that were unknown to Nintendo before have jumped to Switch, the huge increase at output is mainly because of them.
*Whisper* What about compile heart?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Many tried to emulate MH formula, to no avail. I don't know why it would be smart to try to emulate a less successful formula like FE.

Yokai Watch was successful at emulate Pokemon, for a time, before the nosedive we all witnessed recently.

God Eater and Toukiden were plenty successful(especially the former) and their declines are almost entirely self inflicted.

Weirdly there's no shortage of games taking influence from Persona despite it being a less successful than FE.
*Whisper* What about compile heart?

CH is hilarious because they were quite clearly happy to ignore Switch completely until Sony started censoring their games.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly there's no shortage of games taking influence from Persona despite it being a less successful than FE.
that's not weird since RPGs are a more accessible and popular genre than SRPGs. they got the formula down well enough that there are plenty of budget persona clones

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Nintendo having 5% of Cygames' stock while having no Switch games is downright bizzare.

It's not like they are pushing Dragalia Lost that much either. Oh well... maybe they wanted some of that Priconne money.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo having 5% of Cygames' stock while having no Switch games is downright bizzare.

It's not like they are pushing Dragalia Lost that much either. Oh well... maybe they wanted some of that Priconne money.

Nintendo is also Bandai Namco's 8th largest shareholder...

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
What are these many FFT-inspired games I apparently missed? I need them. Pretty much all SRPGs I've seen lately have been super, super light on the strategy/tactics. And with FE3H mostly doing away with the weapons triangle and other traditional FE staples it lost one of the main reasons that tactics were actually crucial in past FE games.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Owning a minority stake in a different company is a sign of trust in that company, and the purchase usually happens alongside a project deal in Japan. Nintendo's 5% in Cygames is a sign of trust toward their development capabilities for Dragalia Lost. Nintendo and DeNA also bought minority stakes in each other when they signed the deal for five mobile games and the Nintendo Switch Online + MyNintendo environment. Owning a small portion of a company means you trust in their skills and in their management and vision. To really change the vision of the company, you need a much bigger stake and basically 'own' the company. For Nintendo, it also means they're betting on multiple horses. If the Switch or any of their console systems failed/fails, they're still invested in other businesses who aren't dependent on the success of Nintendo's own systems. Nintendo's 5% stake in Cygames doesn't mean Cygames can't/won't release games for other platforms anymore, and Nintendo (let alone the other shareholders) shouldn't want that either.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What are these many FFT-inspired games I apparently missed? I need them. Pretty much all SRPGs I've seen lately have been super, super light on the strategy/tactics.

In general lines FFT kind of became the default template for most SRPG series that only started after it. Even something like Disgaea is clearly derived from it when you look at the general map and class/unit design style, even if art-wise it's completely different and there's the focus on huge power leveling. The upcoming Digimon Survive for example likely won't take after it as far as unit/class design goes since it has to follow digimon conventions there, but the map design (and so for example size of ally and enemy teams) seems clearly influenced by it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Level 5 - full support
Marvelous - full support

Nagoshi representing SEGA at the switch reveal event and then all his projects skipping switch is weird. Think he mentioned working on something specifically for switch at the show.

Wonder if some publishers got cold feet between the reveal event and launch, cancelling everything before the system launched...which would be weird since it was a success out the gate.

Atlus is usually slow, not sure what/when their first major 3DS title launches.
Wikipedia says they released an enhanced DS game year 1 and then Etrian Odyssey a year and a half later.
The P team trying their hardest not to support switch with vita getting more support.
Guess SMTV isn't cancelled yet, but probably won't remain exclusive

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
CH is hilarious because they were quite clearly happy to ignore Switch completely until Sony started censoring their games.

Which makes me wonder of the real impact of Sony censoring on the japanese market. I remember reading about it was "awful" because it would kill many devs and games.

It goes without saying that Sony being less leniant about their censoring policies is the absolute right thing to do, but what about the real impact when it comes to sales and all those "concern" ? I feel like there is mostly none impact whatsoever and it's just a win-win situation for everyone, except a handful of people. I hope Nintendo will do the same too.

Wonder if some publishers got cold feet between the reveal event and launch, cancelling everything before the system launched...which would be weird since it was a success out the gate.

I think this theory never made a lot of sens. The truth is elsewhere.

Wait what ? Why should SMTV get canceled or goes multi ? What did I miss ?

Last edited:

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Nagoshi representing SEGA at the switch reveal event and then all his projects skipping switch is weird. Think he mentioned working on something specifically for switch at the show.

Atlus is usually slow, not sure what/when their first major 3DS title launches.
Wikipedia says they released an enhanced DS game year 1 and then Etrian Odyssey a year and a half later.
The P team trying their hardest not to support switch with vita getting more support.

Wasn't Nagoshi kinda butthurt about Nintendo rejecting Yakuza? Not surprising if his projects are skipping the platforms. And it'll be a riot if SMTV is multi-platform while Persona 5 remains exclusive. I think Atlus can say goodbye to their fan base on Nintendo platforms.

brutaka3

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding Bamco, I think is Harada wanting the games on the high-end console and nothing else, even if the game could run on Switch. Mostly the same as Nagoshi. I didn't understood why Sakura Taisen wasn't coming, but when I saw Nagoshi at the last presentation I said: "Oh, that's the reason".

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
What are these many FFT-inspired games I apparently missed? I need them. Pretty much all SRPGs I've seen lately have been super, super light on the strategy/tactics. And with FE3H mostly doing away with the weapons triangle and other traditional FE staples it lost one of the main reasons that tactics were actually crucial in past FE games.
I've had a time to think about it, and really the weapon triangle is not actually that tactical. By the end of most fire emblem games, you can safely ignore it's affects on you while taking advantage of it to just make enemies enter a meat grinder.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Nagoshi kinda butthurt about Nintendo rejecting Yakuza? Not surprising if his projects are skipping the platforms. And it'll be a riot if SMTV is multi-platform while Persona 5 remains exclusive. I think Atlus can say goodbye to their fan base on Nintendo platforms.
Nintendo never rejected Yakuza (as far as I'm aware). the 1+2 ports on the wii u bombed, so they noped out of any future game on Nintendo systems

brutaka3

Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Omega Labyrinth is very niche series but I hope nobody believes PS4 will have big advantage at sales over Switch with Labyrinth Life, if it has advantage at all, because it's cheaper or fanbase is connected to Sony or anything else.

Oct 26, 2017
Sakura Wars is at 200k views and only 116 dislikes.

People aren't really reacting negatively to the change.

Not sure if this will be good, but people aren't really against the idea.

Oct 26, 2017
So zero support. A game that came out on Switch 5 months later for no apparent reason.

I mean, if one game means zero support i'll take it lol
Pretty sure there is a reason if the game skipped Nintendo Switch day one, maybe because the port was outsourced to Virtuos unlike the PS4/One and PC version that were made by QLOC? And like i said, Dark Souls Remastered is a Namco Bandai product at the end, FS only collected royalities and nothing more.

And i don't know what do you expect to see from From when all their games post-Dark Souls 3 entered in production one year before NSW release or they are PS4 exclusives like Deraciné.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
If we start counting games from previous generatios as serious effort Capcom will turn into one of Switch major publishers.
#
And i don't know what do you expect to see from From when all their games post-Dark Souls 3 entered in production one year before NSW release or they are PS4 exclusives like Deraciné.
Who mentioned the reasons, you can list as many as you want and be reasonable or not, the support will remain zero.

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Regarding Bamco, I think is Harada wanting the games on the high-end console and nothing else, even if the game could run on Switch. Mostly the same as Nagoshi. I didn't understood why Sakura Taisen wasn't coming, but when I saw Nagoshi at the last presentation I said: "Oh, that's the reason".
Tekken 7 runs 720p in Xbox One for unexplained reasons, maybe they just don't program well.

Oct 26, 2017
Arguing about From Software's lack of Switch support is kind of weird.

Sekiro is a wildly successful game so it worked out fine and the game struggles badly on the base PS4 (at least in its first month when I played it, maybe it was patched since) so it probably would have been hard to port.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I've had a time to think about it, and really the weapon triangle is not actually that tactical. By the end of most fire emblem games, you can safely ignore it's affects on you while taking advantage of it to just make enemies enter a meat grinder.
By end game, yes. But most of the game is not end game and you must be weary of the weapon triangle for most of the game. Whereas very very early in FE3H you can get access to large AoE heals and large AoE buff that gives +5 movement which basically takes away anything that could be considered a challenge. For players such as myself who love hard challenging SRPGs there hasn't been much of anything in awhile that could compare with FFT.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Can we just pin this to every MC thread
Like I said it won't make a difference it someone sees only what he wants to see.

The conclusion for Switch third party support three years in is that there is a drastical increase at output from 3DS and WIi U, physical and digital, competing or surpassing Sony consoles in quantity for first time in many years.

What is strange is that this increase comes mainly from publishers connected to Sony before. Traditional bigger players that were closer to Nintendo treat Switch many times as secondary console, leaving it out of AA/AAA line like Bandai Namco or ignoring it completely like Capcom.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
By end game, yes. But most of the game is not end game and you must be weary of the weapon triangle for most of the game. Whereas very very early in FE3H you can get access to large AoE heals and large AoE buff that gives +5 movement which basically takes away anything that could be considered a challenge. For players such as myself who love hard challenging SRPGs there hasn't been much of anything in awhile that could compare with FFT.
When I said end, I meant anything past the first quarter. Like actually look at the bonuses for weapon triangle. They are nothing, especially as your units start leveling up and juicing. Heroes actually has an implementation that makes it useful.

Besides difficulty in most SRPGs collapses as you play including FFT.

Last edited:

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Nintendo never rejected Yakuza (as far as I'm aware). the 1+2 ports on the wii u bombed, so they noped out of any future game on Nintendo systems

They did reject the first entry. In regards to the first Yakuza game on PS2:

"I've never said this before, but while we released this game with Sony, I'd done presentations about it to Microsoft and Nintendo. Back then they said "No we don't want it." Now they say, "We want it!" (laughs) They didn't understand the reason why I created it." - Nagoshi

And yes, the Wii U versions did flop. Though that's not the only reason Nagoshi does not hold Nintendo platforms in high regards.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019

Level 5 - full support
Marvelous - full support

iLruJf0.gif

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
What is strange is that this increase comes mainly from publishers connected to Sony before. Traditional bigger players that were closer to Nintendo treat Switch many times as secondary console, leaving it out of AA/AAA line like Bandai Namco or ignoring it completely like Capcom.
This is because Switch is seen a new PlayStation Vita by japanese publishers, no? Project that were available on PlayStation 4/PlayStation Vita are now PlayStation 4/Switch (or will become next year), but PlayStation 4/Xbox One/PC projects aren't released on Switch.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think its that strange actually. With Sony not making another handheld and Switch being the successor to the 3DS, many of those companies sees the Switch as a platform with potential. The only strange thing i think might be why some of the AA-games arent getting a Switch version.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I know honor is a big thing in Japan and there could even be an argument for not splitting your player base. But with costs rising and market shrinking multiplatform releases, simultaneous or otherwise should be a matter of survival if you are just looking at domestic console sales.

PC and West will save the big guys but the small and mid tier companies need to make this central to how they do things.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think its that strange actually. With Sony not making another handheld and Switch being the successor to the 3DS, many of those companies sees the Switch as a platform with potential. The only strange thing i think might be why some of the AA-games arent getting a Switch version.
These companies didn't support 3DS so Switch being its successor means nothing. Even Switch being seen as 3DS successor is discussable. Sony made effort to move entire third party development from Vita to PS4 as the only reliable solution, having big cost for many traditional handheld IPs. Most of these developers jumping to Switch wasn't the expected outcome.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
These companies didn't support 3DS so Switch being its successor means nothing. Even Switch being seen as 3DS successor is discussable. Sony made effort to move entire third party development from Vita to PS4 as the only reliable solution, having big cost for many traditional handheld IPs. Most of these developers jumping to Switch wasn't the expected outcome.
Yeah, thats true, i just mean that since many of these companies supported the Vita, and Sony dropped out out the handheld space, the Switch was the only next alternative/successor in that regards. And trying out PS4 only as you mentioned might not have given a good enough result. Personally, i think thats one reason for the extra Switch support at least. And like Alandring mentioned, many of the PS3(PS4)/Vita multiplatform games are now PS4/Switch instead. I dont know what the expected outcome was a few years ago right around Switch's launch, but i though you ment that it was strange how things unfolded after the Switch was released, so i replied based on that, but maybe that isnt what you ment?

Last edited: