• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
PS4's YoY lead should evapourate in the next 3 weeks. Them we get to see if 2018's remaining lineup, along with KH3 anticipation, is enough to hold PS4 flat YoY

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Lol... i literally forget about YW4 there lol.O_O Is there any bigger game coming to Switch this year too there?

There's also Nintendo Labo Vehicule Kit that was announced this week. I'm interested to see how well Nintendo Labo will do during the holidays (not just in Japan but in general).

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
its not only about MH, every major franchise that was 3DS only saw an Iteration on PS4 and yet the LTD sales of it has been lurk warm at best for what other piece of hardware sell over there.
Fair enough. You quoted a guy who specifically talked about the MHW bundle, so i though when you said "this", that you were referring to the MHW bundle in specific.

Last edited:

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Kirby is going to surpass Triple Deluxe in a few weeks. Very consistent seller lately.

Taiko has a pretty good second week.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope Detroit can chart again.

Also, nice to see Japan being interested in TLOU. I wonder how the sequel will perform.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Worldwide or Japan? Because in Japan Switch is up YoY and Japan isn't an accurate metric for the rest of world because of how big Splatoon was last year.

I think worldwide is the biggest concern. But I don't see Japan up YoY there - it's 57k avg fore 2017 and 49k for 2018. It's not supposed to be going down (even if it makes complete sense it's down considering Splatoon and all, even if I would consider the anomaly the current lack of system selling software rather than the good sales coming from popular software last year).

Oct 27, 2017
Mega Man on Switch did better than expected versus PS4.

I'm curious about your expectations here.

Mega Man is by all accounts a character closer to Nintendo, being born on Nintendo systems, all the best selling Mega Man games are on Nintendo systems and the blue bomber is even a character in Smash Bros. Everything that's retro also tends to do automatically better on Switch (although that may be more true in the West than in Japan).

Unlike you, I would have find logic to see Mega Man Switch > Mega Man PS4, not to mention the dynamic of those systems and the summer being even more favorable to handheld.

That makes me a little curious about Mega Man 11 reception (also I think the teased Mega Man X9 will sell more than Mega Man 11 ^^).

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Nippon Ichi from bomba to bomba, now not even their only successful franchise performs well anymore.
The west will save it. For real this time. xD
They really need to start focusing more on new IP there rather than keep reharshing the same thing there. Their old IP is so damn stale nowadays.
They create a lot of new IP. The big problem is that those games are very small in size and usually either die off directly or with the second installment. The Witch And The Hundred Knight looked like it had potential, but died off because 2 sucked. Yomawari sold well, but the sequel didn't grow the series. And while nothing is set in stone, I wouldn't be surprised if a sequel to Labyrinth of Refrain will have a similar fate.

Nippon Ichi Software's strategy is, as someone mentioned earlier, making cheap and small experiences that turn profitable with only 5k-10k sales. This way, they don't have to bet on one big horse. That's nice, but it also means that they always have to create new IPs and can't hold onto a stable heavy-hitter like Disgaea has been for them for a long time. I don't know what the TW&HK team is doing now; that was supposed to be a mid-tier title, so if they can continue to keep releasing one bigger (mid-sized) project every year - one year Disgaea, the other year something else - and several smaller experiences, they'll be fine, especially when you take western sales in mind.

They rely a lot on NIS America now tho, so as soon as American sales start to fall off (for example because of localisation issues), the entire company will have a big problem.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

Mega Man is by all accounts a character closer to Nintendo, being born on Nintendo systems, all the best selling Mega Man games are on Nintendo systems and the blue bomber is even a character in Smash Bros. Everything that's retro also tends to do automatically better on Switch (although that may be more true in the West than in Japan).

Unlike you, I would have find logic to see Mega Man Switch > Mega Man PS4.

That makes me a little curious about Mega Man 11 reception (also I think the teased Mega Man X9 will sell more than Mega Man 11 ^^).

Preorder-wise, PS4 version was performing much better. YSO expectations had PS4 version selling much better. Sales in chains like GEO and TSUTAYA had PS4 version above.

Mega Man X was also mostly released on Sony platform iirc.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Unlike you, I would have find logic to see Mega Man Switch > Mega Man PS4, not to mention the dynamic of those systems and the summer being even more favorable to handheld.

In the West you are right, but in Japan a lot of MMX games were exclusive to Playstation. The most recent ones were all on PS1/PS2 (4 to 8).

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Terrible week. Can we expect 20-30K for Octopath next time?

I would bet we don't see Octopath ever approach 30k again (basically top 25k in a week). I think even though it's largely sold out, the demand for it in quantities needed to get close to 30k has passed.

Even if there was absolutely no stock issues - the drop off for the second week is typically quite large is it not? And third week and beyond would just keep decreasing - putting it below 20k naturally without stock issues. Unless any of the BDs sold 25k+ after their first two weeks, which I'm not sure of.

But it'll be interesting to see what happens. I wonder what some of the more dramatic examples of a game being sold out for a few weeks after release then getting restocked have obtained in increased sales. Has there been games that have gone like 150k > 15k > 20k > 75k or whatever before?

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
I know, but even in JP the game did more than OK.

No need to spin the non event that was the Japanese re-release with unrelated markets.

That it didn't have any notable impact this time, suggests that while the Hype campaign worked earlier this year, without such a big push a console MH just isn't as appealing. Personally I think the next console only version of MH will see notable decline in Japan compared to MHW (which already was notably weaker than MHp3rd, MH4, MHX), people in Japan simply prefer to play these games on portables and ad hoc with their friends, instead of just online.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Megaman is not the same as X though. X starting exploding its popularity during X4 and X5 which is all due to PS era

The west will save it. For real this time. xD

They create a lot of new IP. The big problem is that those games are very small in size and usually either die off directly or with the second installment. The Witch And The Hundred Knight looked like it had potential, but died off because 2 sucked. Yomawari sold well, but the sequel didn't grow the series. And while nothing is set in stone, I wouldn't be surprised if a sequel to Labyrinth of Refrain will have a similar fate.

Nippon Ichi Software's strategy is, as someone mentioned earlier, making cheap and small experiences that turn profitable with only 5k-10k sales. This way, they don't have to bet on one big horse. That's nice, but it also means that they always have to create new IPs and can't hold onto a stable heavy-hitter like Disgaea has been for them for a long time. I don't know what the TW&HK team is doing now; that was supposed to be a mid-tier title, so if they can continue to keep releasing one bigger (mid-sized) project every year - one year Disgaea, the other year something else - and several smaller experiences, they'll be fine, especially when you take western sales in mind.

They rely a lot on NIS America now tho, so as soon as American sales start to fall off (for example because of localisation issues), the entire company will have a big problem.

NISA is their big money maker now. And i don't see it stopping anytime soon especially when they had put their hand on that big Switch localization pies. I do feel that the reason why their sequel keep dieing is the same problem Bravely Default to Second faced. They thought just by giving the same thing again to fans it will be enough when fans would want bigger scope and content vs the first one. If they are able to up the quality of the second title much more vs the first one. I can see them grow it bigger.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Collar x Malice seems to have retained all of its audience from the original. Excellent!

Miserable opening from Disgaea though. I know it's made for the west but still, it seems dead in Japan. Maybe the mobile game will do something.

They really need to start focusing more on new IP there rather than keep reharshing the same thing there. Their old IP is so damn stale nowadays.

They make plenty of new IP's, like Closed Nightmare the other week that bombed even more than this lol.
Even Witch and Hundred Knight which received loads of investment failed to make any impact (or profit).

Ah, thanks a bunch. Interesting that former staff from MV, who seem to have developed most recent Digimon games, ended up on a Digimon (unless they've been working exclusively on Digimon since WC was created?).

Witchcraft made an average Mahouka tie-in for Vita alongside the terrible Idol Death Game TV lol.

Media Vision do a lot of work for hire, but plenty of other studios have been tackling Digimon recently (such as B.B Studio). Media Vision have just done it best lol.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NISA is their big money maker now. And i don't see it stopping anytime soon especially when they had put their hand on that big Switch localization pies. I do feel that the reason why their sequel keep dieing is the same problem Bravely Default to Second faced. They thought just by giving the same thing again to fans it will be enough when fans would want bigger scope and content vs the first one. If they are able to up the quality of the second title much more vs the first one. I can see them grow it bigger.
they're gonna run out of shit to localize now that other companies like Spike Chunsoft established their own western branches. NISA can't make much money when the games they put out from NIS are low-budget looking titles that have to fight among indie titles (I know NIS aint indie, but I dont think their low end games do much to separate themselves from the indie aesthetic).

hence why I think NIS should invest more into mid-budget games.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In 2 weeks it's obon. It had better go past 50k.

Obon does not seems to be that hype in sales number anymore though nowadays i think. It feels like another Silver Week incoming lol.

Collar x Malice seems to have retained all of its audience from the original. Excellent!

Miserable opening from Disgaea though. I know it's made for the west but still, it seems dead in Japan. Maybe the mobile game will do something.

They make plenty of new IP's, like Closed Nightmare the other week that bombed even more than this lol.
Even Witch and Hundred Knight which received loads of investment failed to make any impact (or profit).

QUOTE="Lite_Agent, post: 10996030, member: 8334"]Ah, thanks a bunch. Interesting that former staff from MV, who seem to have developed most recent Digimon games, ended up on a Digimon (unless they've been working exclusively on Digimon since WC was created?).

Witchcraft made an average Mahouka tie-in for Vita alongside the terrible Idol Death Game TV lol.

Media Vision do a lot of work for hire, but plenty of other studios have been tackling Digimon recently (such as B.B Studio). Media Vision have just done it best lol.[/QUOTE]

Witch and Hundred Knights 2 flop even with all investment is tx to the game sucking right? I remember that it kinda go t bad review in Japan there. I still believe giving more investment in budget for the sequel is the only way to go there as there is a limit on how much u can churned out new and interesting IP there.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I would bet we don't see Octopath ever approach 30k again (basically top 25k in a week). I think even though it's largely sold out, the demand for it in quantities needed to get close to 30k has passed.

Even if there was absolutely no stock issues - the drop off for the second week is typically quite large is it not? And third week and beyond would just keep decreasing - putting it below 20k naturally without stock issues. Unless any of the BDs sold 25k+ after their first two weeks, which I'm not sure of.

But it'll be interesting to see what happens. I wonder what some of the more dramatic examples of a game being sold out for a few weeks after release then getting restocked have obtained in increased sales. Has there been games that have gone like 150k > 15k > 20k > 75k or whatever before?
That's assuming that the demand for Octopath isn't much larger than the demand for Bravely Default, which is still an assumption as of right now.

Several Dragon Quest titles did that, also due to stock issues in select weeks.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

The first BD had stock issues too (less severe than Octopath) and sold 30k in 3rd week, it did 145k->39k->31k.

Demand seems to be still strong since the game charted #1 on Amazon yesterday when stock came back but digital has probably already took a part of those sales. Hopefully they'll manage to stock it during the week-end so we'll have the game up in next week MC thread.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Quite surprised MMX PS4 outperformed the Switch version.
Is it because of the download card for part 2 possibly? I know Japan likes their physical games.

TongPoo

Jul 14, 2018
But they got stocks yesterday !

I didn't last long, game charted #1 on Amazon and then went out of stock ...
Didn't notice that! Thanks for pointing it out. Well, that makes sense since it is the no.2 best seller on AmazonJP now. I do hope they will be ready before Obon, or that's definitely missed opportunities.

Hopefully the cover art is pretty enough that people will keep the game instead of selling it after beating the game too. At least that's for me, I just can't sell such a piece of art!

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
PSP Monster Hunter Freedom 3 [All Versions]: 4.840.930
PSP Monster Hunter Freedom 3: 4.502.846
PSP Monster Hunter Freedom Unite [All Versions]: 4.226.265
3DS Monster Hunter 4: 3.897.628
3DS Monster Hunter Generations: 3.136.563
PS4 Monster Hunter: World: 2.801.967
3DS Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: 2.716.440
3DS Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: 2.667.398
PSP Monster Hunter Freedom Unite: 2.453.132
3DS Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate [All Versions]: 1.941.106

not too shabby.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
they're gonna run out of shit to localize now that other companies like Spike Chunsoft established their own western branches. NISA can't make much money when the games they put out from NIS are low-budget looking titles that have to fight among indie titles (I know NIS aint indie, but I dont think their low end games do much to separate themselves from the indie aesthetic).

hence why I think NIS should invest more into mid-budget games.

Hence why NISA is "stealing games" and porting them to Switch.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I wonder if lack of local multiplayer is what's killed mhw legs in Japan. The used market is too strong and players have less incentive to keep their copy.

Also. I wonder if the stupid half physical MMX collection hurt sales on Switch. I'm certainly not buying it because of it...

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Quite surprised MMX PS4 outperformed the Switch version.
Is it because of the download card for part 2 possibly? I know Japan likes their physical games.
While Switch is dominating right now....the PS4 is still the system with the bigger installed base. Also looking at the current SW charts you can see that Switch owners are picking up alot of diffrent titles per week. On Switch it was one of many solid selling titles this week.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
do you guys think an all-switch Top 20 is possible??

if so, when? what games could fill the list?

Because of new releases, it would be near impossible.

I would say that week 50/51 (Christmas week) is a good bet for the most Switch games. Especially on Dengeki since Pokemon and YW should both be splited in two.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I was about to ask where Warioware Gold was, I had no idea it was launching later in Japan. Why?

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
do you know where I can sales data for the series?

Not trying to spin anything, I just believe that MHW did very well, but I have no data to corroborate this feeling.

It did very well compared to the MH console releases on the PS2, Wii, PS3 and WiiU. But it wasn't close to the sales of mainline portable entries in Japan.

But as you said the rest of the world made up for this downfall.