• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo has already said they plan on releasing first-party stuff on 3DS beyond 2019. They have at least one announced title for 2019 (the Mario & Luigi 2 remake), and they still have to bring over Yo-kai Watch 3 and Yo-kai Watch Busters 2. The 3DS isn't dead, and it most certainly isn't dead and buried.

Atlus is definitely bringing this one over (unlike EOX).

Software and hardware sales are showing that is dying faster than Nintendo thought. In 2019 will be buried.

Nintendo 3DS

Q1FY2018 (Apr - Jun 2018):
Hardware: 0,36M (Goal: 4M)
Software: 2,95M (Goal: 16M)

Hardware per regions:
Japan: 60k / 24,76M
Americas: 200k / 25,37M
Europe and others: 100k / 22,76M

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
It'll still be a viable platform, is what I'm saying. And Persona fans will definitely be in for it.
3DS is still viable enough to bring the game to the west, but making the newest spin off of a growing franchise exclusive to a platform that's decidedly end of life limits its potential audience for sure. It's going to reach the most loyal fans of EO and Persona, but has almost no room to grow beyond that. But I suppose Atlus's okay with (although I also believe they didn't expect 3DS to drop off quite as quickly in their target audience).

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seven years in we are asking if the fans of Atlus RPGs own a 3DS ?
The system is still selling and even if the sales slow down in the next months, this doesn't mean all consoles out here vanish suddenly.

Plenty of people still own a 3DS and Atlus won't have to do much to get the spotlight because it's gonna be one of the final relevant 3DS releases.
Does the title not matter for Atlus fans? Sorry if I sound uneducated but I'm not really into Atlus games. PQ2 is just a spin-off and the main games are never on Nintendo platforms, right? So do all Atlus and/or Persona fans own all devices Atlus makes games for?

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Software and hardware sales are showing that is dying faster than Nintendo thought. In 2019 will be buried.

Nintendo 3DS

Hardware per regions:
Persona Q2 doesn't need new hardware units flying off the shelves to be successful, not unlike all the other Atlus 3DS games that have been successful before. They even have FeMC in there - the fans will be there.

With the installed base it has, the 3DS will still be able to support some releases well into 2019.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm more interested in EOX and EMD2 than PQ2, but I'll take whatever we get at this point!

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the last atlus 3DS game released worldwide was what deep strange journey. By all accounts that game seems to have been a success.

Strange Journey Redux/Deep Strange Journey indeed seems to be at least a decent seller, but that's the exception rather than the norm amongst the recent Atlus 3DS releases. Radiant Historia Chronology bombed (30k LTD, utterly pointless), Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 bombed (less than 50k LTD, less than half of what the first game did). Etrian Odyssey X's numbers are still to be seen but all we can conclude from what seem to be its successful launch is that the EO crowd is very loyal and hasn't moved on from 3DS yet. However, Persona Q2 relies on more than just the EO crowd and just doing similar numbers would put it under bad light compared to the big success of the first game (almost 300k LTD).

I don't see Persona Q not being massively down compared to the first game's performance. Releasing a 3DS game in 2019 is foolness, and altough I'm pretty sure it's going to be localized because there's no real reason not to capitalize on the few left 3DS players, it's definitely not going to do well in the west.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Strange Journey Redux/Deep Strange Journey indeed seems to be at least a decent seller, but that's the exception rather than the norm amongst the recent Atlus 3DS releases. Radiant Historia Chronology bombed (30k LTD, utterly pointless), Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 bombed (less than 50k LTD, less than half of what the first game did). Etrian Odyssey X's numbers are still to be seen but all we can conclude from what seem to be its successful launch is that the EO crowd is very loyal and hasn't moved on from 3DS yet. However, Persona Q2 relies on more than just the EO crowd and just doing similar numbers would put it under bad light compared to the big success of the first game (almost 300k LTD).

I don't see Persona Q not being massively down compared to the first game's performance. Releasing a 3DS game in 2019 is foolness, and altough I'm pretty sure it's going to be localized because there's no real reason not to capitalize on the few left 3DS players, it's definitely not going to do well in the west.
Oh, don't get me wrong - it'll definitely sell less than the original. But it's still a game that has more going for it than all of the other games you've mentioned. The EO crowd will buy it as who knows when we'll get another game like this and what form it will take, and the Persona diehards will also pick it up no matter the platform.

I think Atlus is well aware of the fact that this game won't be able to do much even in Japan, but once the 3DS is gone they won't even have a place to release games like this on, so they might as well do it and take advantage of those who are really still craving for more of this type of game.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
I remember one year that Atlus released two Etrian Odyssey games on the same year, and sales declined (I think it was Mystery Dungeon and EO2 remake, being the second the one afected).
Too many games for the same fanbase in a short time can be counterproductive sometimes.

See when too many persona dance games released a few months ago.

Oct 25, 2017
Does the title not matter for Atlus fans? Sorry if I sound uneducated but I'm not really into Atlus games. PQ2 is just a spin-off and the main games are never on Nintendo platforms, right? So do all Atlus and/or Persona fans own all devices Atlus makes games for?

The original Persona Q sold very well on the 3DS, which would seem to answer the question of if the Persona audience is on the system or not.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
At least Atlus was smart enough not to release a 3DS game in 2019, the decline at sales would be even bigger. Now Nintendo remains to date Luigi's Mansion and 3DS is done in Japan, Mario & Luigi is an irrelevant title whenever it comes out.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Date for persona Q2 looks to be quite good when seen in a vacuum, right before the last big push for 3DS. But it's right between two huge Switch titles, Pokémon and Smash.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least Atlus was smart enough not to release a 3DS game in 2019, the decline at sales would be even bigger. Now Nintendo remains to date Luigi's Mansion and 3DS is done in Japan, Mario & Luigi is an irrelevant title whenever it comes out.
i really could see luigi mansion and mario and luigi being a dual release like sushi strikers or captain toad. in fact im surprised wario ware isnt a dual release. 3ds market is just not healthy anymore

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy

Nintendo 3DS

Hardware per regions:

To be honest both Switch and 3DS were undershipped last quarter, real sales aren't looking so low.
Still, by 2019 i see 3DS pretty much gone.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
That said I'll use a following post to illustrate another trend that I'm noticing in the past year in the mobile market - the quickening pace of games from China (Knives Out, Azur Lane etc) and Korea (Lineage II) which have appeared and have become moderate to big hits. With these games success more will certainly make the localisation trip over, and like Azur Lane will pick up famous voice actors to speed up their adoption.
Girls Frontline is performing very well at the moment too, though that one is still close to launch.

Identity V is also doing quite well for being a mobile knock off of Dead By Daylight.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has already said they plan on releasing first-party stuff on 3DS beyond 2019. They have at least one announced title for 2019 (the Mario & Luigi 2 remake), and they still have to bring over Yo-kai Watch 3 and Yo-kai Watch Busters 2. The 3DS isn't dead, and it most certainly isn't dead and buried.

Atlus is definitely bringing this one over (unlike EOX).
*M&L 3

well luigi mansion could be an enhanced port of the GC game. mario and luigi could be the same game with high res assets

too many resources for both.

The point of Luigi's mansion is so they can use Dark Moon Assets.

The point of M&L is that they can reuse assets for the 4th straight game.

they're not trying to spend extra money on HD sprites. (personally I thinki the M&L sprites would look fine on my switch but nintendo doesn't seem to be into that.)

Oct 29, 2017
well luigi mansion could be an enhanced port of the GC game. mario and luigi could be the same game with high res assets

The M&L BIS remake is entirely pixel art. There are no high-res assets to draw from with a potential Switch remake.

On the same topic, Alphadream are gonna have a nightmare of a time transitioning to the Switch. I'm really not sure how they're gonna pull it off TBH. They already needed help from Good Feel to get Dream Team and Paper Jam out on 3DS... I can't see them being able to carry on with pixel art in the HD era unless they take the Octopath Traveller route (which I reckon would actually be really cool, but would still mean enoumous growing pains regardless).

I think they'll probably try to go the full 3D cel-shaded route instead though; it's just a more realistic option than continuing with the insane animation they pump into the M&L games, especially with them having to make the jump to HD; alongside very heavy outsourcing.

These remakes are probably being made to try to buy themselves some time to prepare for the jump. It must be enourmously difficult for them to adapt now...

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
The M&L BIS remake is entirely pixel art. There are no high-res assets to draw from with a potential Switch remake.

On the same topic, Alphadream are gonna have a nightmare of a time transitioning to the Switch. I'm really not sure how they're gonna pull it off TBH. They already needed help from Good Feel to get Dream Team and Paper Jam out on 3DS... I can't see them being able to carry on with pixel art in the HD era unless they take the Octopath Traveller route (which I reckon would actually be really cool, but would still mean enoumous growing pains regardless).

I think they'll probably try to go the full 3D cel-shaded route instead though; it's just a more realistic option than continuing with the insane animation they pump into the M&L games, especially with them having to make the jump to HD; alongside very heavy outsourcing.

These remakes are probably being made to try to buy themselves some time to prepare for the jump. It must be enourmously difficult for them to adapt now...

I think it'll go 3d, and they'll get more help. Either from Good Feel or someone else.
I just hope it won't lose too much of its personality

Nintendo should put resources into it though imo.
I've been saying for over a year, whatever M+R can do, a well-received M&L can do better. 5m would be achieveable

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll go 3d, and they'll get more help. Either from Good Feel or someone else.
I just hope it won't lose too much of its personality

Nintendo should put resources into it though imo.
I've been saying for over a year, whatever M+R can do, a well-received M&L can do better. 5m would be achieveable
Mario and Luigi has had lots of 3D elements already. hell, the characters were the only things that were still sprites. I'm not too worried about the series' personality

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Mario and Luigi has had lots of 3D elements already. hell, the characters were the only things that were still sprites. I'm not too worried about the series' personality
well, the sprites were the main thing I meant with that statement.

but yeah, you're right. 90% of the game is 3D, so hopefully the transition to Switch is fine.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
The 3DS is still somewhat selling, but really what do we know about its software sales for the new stuff? Apart from Pokémon. The only thing we know for sure is that MK7 still has legs and became the best selling 3DS game, which leads me to believe that people are buying those kind of games with their new 3DS, not the new stuff.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

With octopath being this huge success i could definately see then try to do a M&L in that style

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*M&L 3

too many resources for both.

The point of Luigi's mansion is so they can use Dark Moon Assets.

The point of M&L is that they can reuse assets for the 4th straight game.

they're not trying to spend extra money on HD sprites. (personally I thinki the M&L sprites would look fine on my switch but nintendo doesn't seem to be into that.)
Are you sure luigis mansion would be such a hige task. Wind waker hd was developed in 6 month.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure luigis mansion would be such a hige task. Wind waker hd was developed in 6 month.
but Wind Waker HD was developed in house. While Luigi's Mansion is grezzo.
it would depend on how much work was put into it of course. But to make for an acceptable HD switch game...

With octopath being this huge success i could definately see then try to do a M&L in that style
can't see it. It's been going more 3D in look and assets.
...and that would basically be paper mario style, which already nailed the 2dhd look for mario

also, I don't get all the "with the success of octopath ____" posts lol. I think it's a good look for square and other's mid tier rpgs going forward, but I see applied to random games.
why would mario and Luigi get anything from octopath? There's no real connection there. You could argue M+R's success a bit.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
DjzN5tAU8AAWvPl.jpg

DjzN5tBUYAAwyHb.jpg

DjzN5tCV4AEw3vZ.jpg

Zelda-Master-Works.png

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
4/5 stars difficulty for YSO. Pre Obon week, there are a few releases that can enter top 3 but nothing big at sales.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
How can S-E be so weird with their OT restocks?
I mean, it can't be just cartridge productions difficulties, there must be some kind of manager decision or at least logistic decisions here. I don't know.. maybe S-E wants to force digital sales? The game is flying off the shelves and yet the restocks always low. .

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
How can S-E be so weird with their OT restocks?
I mean, it can't be just cartridge productions difficulties, there must be some kind of manager decision or at least logistic decisions here. I don't know.. maybe S-E wants to force digital sales? The game is flying off the shelves and yet the restocks always low. .

Because they seemingly took the decision to ship copies as soon as they get them from Nintendo, instead of stockpiling them (which would require several days without any stock in stores at all). Or maybe they're indeed stockpiling for a major restock and are simply shipping small amounts in the mean time to avoid days without anything at all. Official Twitter account did mention small shipments at first, iirc.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo 3DS

Hardware per regions:

Wow - the way you have presented those figures is incredible. Putting Q1 numbers in against full year hardware / software goals (without pointing that out) just to mislead and make your point seem better :/

They've sold about 10% of their hardware target for 3DS in Q1 - they sold about 10% of their hardware target for Switch Q1 - and changed nothing in regard to full year forecasts. So presumably its near enough in line with their targets.

Now software sales are slowing quicker and the target is looking a few million off but try to present your figures in an unbiased way please!

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wow - the way you have presented those figures is incredible. Putting Q1 numbers in against full year hardware / software goals (without pointing that out) just to mislead and make your point seem better :/

They've sold about 10% of their hardware target for 3DS in Q1 - they sold about 10% of their hardware target for Switch Q1 - and changed nothing in regard to full year forecasts. So presumably its near enough in line with their targets.

Now software sales are slowing quicker and the target is looking a few million off but try to present your figures in an unbiased way please!
I'm afraid you're just reading bias into it, my friend. I think it was clear to just about everyone that the goal was for the FY, none of that was aimed at misleading anyone.

As to the percentages you mention: that's true, but 3DS has no software to speak of to buttress sales, while Switch obviously does. 3DS being down 62% in Q1 YOY doesn't bode well for it when there's nothing to push it in the remaining quarters (most importantly: no Pokémon) and the goal is to only be down 33% by the end of the FY.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm afraid you're just reading bias into it, my friend. I think it was clear to just about everyone that the goal was for the FY, none of that was aimed at misleading anyone.

As to the percentages you mention: that's true, but 3DS has no software to speak of to buttress sales, while Switch obviously does. 3DS being down 62% in Q1 YOY doesn't bode well for it when there's nothing to push it in the remaining quarters (most importantly: no Pokémon) and the goal is to only be down 33% by the end of the FY.

I'm not saying the premise is necessarily wrong as I agree it will be down on their forecast but historically is 10% of full year sales in Q1 that unusual for Nintendo? Yes they have no big software drivers but theyll just discount and and bundle it to get there. Its still doing good numbers in the US (up yoy) and can easily do 2+ million if priced + bundled heavily during the holidays there. Dont think 4 million will be far off

Also you headline the data as Q1 then randomly put in full year targets so I found it misleading, mayb no one else did but seems a poor way to present it

Was probably overly harsh tho so apologies for the tone

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm not saying the premise is necessarily wrong as I agree it will be down on their forecast but historically is 10% of full year sales in Q1 that unusual for Nintendo? Yes they have no big software drivers but theyll just discount and and bundle it to get there. Its still doing good numbers in the US (up yoy) and can easily do 2+ million if priced + bundled heavily during the holidays there. Dont think 4 million will be far off

Also you headline the data as Q1 then randomly put in full year targets so I found it misleading, mayb no one else did but seems a poor way to present it

Was probably overly harsh tho so apologies for the tone
I think comparing with 3DS last year is insightful: the system shipped 0.95M in Q1 and ended up at 6.4M for the FY. They managed to do so wit games like Dragon Quest XI and Pokémon USUM. Benji over at the NPD thread noted that Pokémon was the major driver of the holiday success (the noted NPD December thread where 3DS sold 750k units). The lack of those major titles, as well as a dearth of other smaller titles is going to be unsurmountablr in the end imo. I think pricing would need to dive well below 100 dollars (or equivalent currency) to make up enough to reach the forecast.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Week 32, 2018 (Aug 6 - Aug 12)

new releases

{2018.08.07}
[NSW] Overcooked! 2 _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Team 17) (¥2.546)
[NSW] Dead Cells _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Motion Twin) (¥2.296)

{2018.08.08}
[3DS] Picross e9 _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <PZL> (Nintendo) (¥462)
[3DS] Block-a-Pix Color _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <PZL> (Rainy Frog) (¥462)

{2018.08.09}
[PSV] CharadeManiacs # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.300)
[PSV] CharadeManiacs (Limited Edition) <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.300)
[PSV] CharadeManiacs (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥5.800)
[PSV] Bullet Girls: Phantasia <ACT> (D3Publisher) (¥6.980)
[PSV] Bullet Girls: Phantasia (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (D3Publisher) (¥6.463)
[PSV] Darkest Dungeon <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) (¥4.800)
[PSV] Darkest Dungeon (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) (¥4.500)
[NSW] Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaire's Conspiracy DX <ADV> (Level 5) (¥5.980)
[NSW] Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaire's Conspiracy DX (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Level 5) (¥5.980)
[NSW] Waku Waku Sweets: Amai Okashi ga Dekiru Kana? <ACT> (Sonic Powered) (¥4.980)
[NSW] Waku Waku Sweets: Amai Okashi ga Dekiru Kana? (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Sonic Powered) (¥4.980)
[NSW] Okami HD # <ADV> (Capcom) (¥2.990)
[NSW] Okami HD (Kou Shirabe) <ADV> (Capcom) (¥3.990)
[NSW] Okami HD (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Capcom) (¥2.769)
[NSW] Jake Hunter Detective Story: Prism of Eyes <ADV> (Arc System Works) (¥5.370)
[NSW] Jake Hunter Detective Story: Prism of Eyes (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Arc System Works) (¥4.991)
[NSW] Darkest Dungeon <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) (¥4.800)
[NSW] Darkest Dungeon (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) (¥4.500)
[NSW] Flashback _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (3goo) (¥1.900)
[NSW] Shinsengumi Amazing: Hoteru Karada to Koien _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (D3Publisher) (¥1.185)
[NSW] World Conqueror X _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <SLG> (Circle Entertainment) (¥925)
[NSW] Chalk Dash Carnival _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Sat-Box) (¥740)
[NSW] Hikkuri Gaeru _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ETC> (Mutan) (¥740)
[NSW] Draw a Stickman: Epic 2 _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ETC> (Hitcents) (¥736)
[NSW] Pirate Pop Plus _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Rainy Frog) (¥462)
[NSW] SubaraCity _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <PZL> (Flyhigh Works) (¥462)
[NSW] Tetjis _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ETC> (SilverStar) (¥462)
[PS4] Fire Pro Wrestling: World # <SPT> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥5.800)
[PS4] Fire Pro Wrestling: World (New Japan Wrestling Premium Edition) <SPT> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥9.800)
[PS4] Fire Pro Wrestling: World (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| # <SPT> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥5.800)
[PS4] Fire Pro Wrestling: World (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (Digital Deluxe Edition) <SPT> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥9.800)
[PS4] Yakuza 3 <ADV> (Sega) (¥3.990)
[PS4] Yakuza 3 (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Sega) (¥3.990)
[PS4] Jake Hunter Detective Story: Prism of Eyes <ADV> (Arc System Works) (¥5.370)
[PS4] Jake Hunter Detective Story: Prism of Eyes (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Arc System Works) (¥4.991)
[PS4] Bullet Girls: Phantasia <ACT> (D3Publisher) (¥7.980)
[PS4] Bullet Girls: Phantasia (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (D3Publisher) (¥7.389)
[PS4] Darkest Dungeon <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) (¥4.800)
[PS4] Darkest Dungeon (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) (¥4.500)
___

YSO predictions

01. [PS4] Yakuza 3 < 35k (average 30k) [week 1]
02. [PS4] Fire Pro Wrestling: World < 30k (average 25k) [week 1]
02. [NSW] Splatoon 2 < 30k (average 25k) [week 56]
03. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe < 25k (average 20k) [week 68]

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That's quite a rise for Splatoon 2, considering last week was 20k. Is it usual for HW to go up in the week before Obon, perhaps?

Edit: Wait, this is Obon already, right? In that case, it's not so that good of a number imo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
3DS is so small percentage at Nintendo's revenue that Switch can easily cover the loses if software forecast is missed again.