• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Luigi's Mansion 2 was a 3ds game and sold for $40. Luigi's Mansion 3 is the sequel yet it's selling for $60. Doesn't seem right.

Monster Hunter 4U was a 3DS game and sold for $40.

Monster Hunter World is the sequel yet it's sold for $60 (with significantly less content).

Doesn't seem right.

I can understand $60 for FE3H since there is a ton more content than past FE games. I'm not seeing that with LM3.

Game cost has never just been a function of content.

With the Switch being the successor to the 3ds and Wii U, I wish there were more games that fell into the price range of 3ds games (i.e. $40). LM3 seems like it would be perfect at that price point.

It's nice to want things. $40 would be the perfect price point for every game if I had my way.

Nothing you've described makes Luigi's Mansion 3 a budget title.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Is it due to the fact that media create stopped giving numbers? Or the summer heat? These MC threads have been going off the rails lately.
I dont think its any specific reason. I've been reading these threads since 2006 or 2007, and i feel that its been a reoccuring thing in all those years, even when we got numbers from all three trackers and regardless of seasons.

Luigi's Mansion 2 was a 3ds game and sold for $40. Luigi's Mansion 3 is the sequel yet it's selling for $60. Doesn't seem right. I can understand $60 for FE3H since there is a ton more content than past FE games. I'm not seeing that with LM3.

With the Switch being the successor to the 3ds and Wii U, I wish there were more games that fell into the price range of 3ds games (i.e. $40). LM3 seems like it would be perfect at that price point.
I think that has more to do with that $40 for a handheld game was kinda the highest price "acceptable" (not sure what i shall call it). Pokemon was also $40 and will be $60 as well (or already is, with Pokemon Go).

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight cost $15 and had like 60 hours of amazing high quality content. Does that make it a budget game?

Yeah. Lite especially is super far off. With no preorders on the OG revision, I'm not entirely sure why they announced it so soon.
I guess it was coming out in Asia (today?)

It's apparently out in at least Hong Kong and Australia today, yeah.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it does. I played Luigi's Mansion 2 and it was certainly a budget title. Just because LM3 has better graphics doesn't mean it can't still be a budget title. In LM2 you go from small room to small room trying to capture ghosts. It's very repetitive. While the gameplay is expanded in LM3 you're still stuck in these small rooms trying to solve uninteresting puzzles imo. So yeah, budget title for me.
...LM2 is certainly not a budget title for 3DS.
Sold over 5M units on 3DS too.

It's probably the nicest looking/biggest in scope first party Switch game since smash.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so Marvelous's Jet Girls will also be a cartoon. didn't Valkyrie Drive do poorly for both the game and the cartoon? so they're doing it again?

Oct 25, 2017
Biggest in scope? What? How do you figure that when FE3H just released and its scope is enormous?
Perhaps scope is not the right term, but certainly presentation.

Just because you don't like LM2 (I didn't either, it's not great) doesn't meant LM3 is budget/bad.
Luigi's Mansion is a console franchise starting on the gamecube. They changed the scope for the 3DS/handheld project, but they're bringing back a lot of elements from the first game (one large hotel vs various smaller mission based mansions)

Just an crazy way of thinking, especially in a sales thread.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Dengeki gives 200k initial shipment for Fire Emblem and Famitsu 180-230k.

Unlike Mario Maker they are in agreement, based on Dengeki we will be able to get a good estimate of digital sales from Nintendo's financials since the game isn't overshipped and there won't be stacks of unsold copies at the end of September.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
73% of the top 30 is Switch, is this a new milestone?
Raw numbers are more important that than account of titles in top 30 and Switch getting 60-70% of software market is something usual in Japan nowadays. Yearly totals won't be different and 2020 will be even more lopsided in favor of it.

apotema

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mexico
Raw numbers are more important that than account of titles in top 30 and Switch getting 60-70% of software market is something usual in Japan nowadays. Yearly totals won't be different and 2020 will be even more lopsided in favor of it.

Yeah I know, it means almost nothing it the 50th game in the list barely sells 500 copies

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
maybe people were turned off by fire emblems ugly boxart this go around and went digital

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Just a note, a lot of people forget that MGSV came out on PS3 also.

PS3 Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain 157.605 234.064 Konami 02/09/2015
PS4 Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain [All Versions] 315.288 448.554 Konami 02/09/2015
It's a good thing they forget it because Death Stranding isn't coming close to these numbers.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Just a note, a lot of people forget that MGSV came out on PS3 also.

PS3 Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain 157.605 234.064 Konami 02/09/2015
PS4 Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain [All Versions] 315.288 448.554 Konami 02/09/2015

Ah, you're right. I totally forgot about that. MGSV came closer to MGS4 sales than I remembered.

Still, without the legacy of the brand I'm not sure Death Stranding could reach those heights. Although as Gotdatmoney said, it does seem premature to judge its sales potential considering...well, we don't know much about it still. And it's a new IP. So I guess we'll see, it could be a Nier Automata situation or something like Judgment where it's still successful but not as much as the series that preceded it.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I think Death Stranding can reach those numbers, but I'm high on Kojima so that might cloud my judgement on that.
nope. also, this is probably the game Marvelous said they had to change and are expecting poorer sales as a result
I'm betting their outfits would have flown off or something from the extreme jet ski speeds.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
baseball game gonna sell more than Fire Emblem

just cancel the Switch, it's dead

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Biggest in scope? What? How do you figure that when FE3H just released and its scope is enormous?

But what's your point again?

That, being a low budget game, it won't sell well? That doesn't make any sense. There are plenty of games which costs the same and sells a lot.

Gameplay will make it or break it.

Big boobs don't sell games by itself anymore. Senran Kagura was the first console game to be actually marketed with big boobs as the main feature but from its peak it lost power and attempts to reproduce its success have failed.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Luigi's Mansion 3 has extremely high production values, especially for Switch. What am I reading here

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jet Girls is not only aiming at the traditional Marvelous fanbase but also, thanks to the innovative nature of its gameplay, at the massive Wave Race audience craving for a new game since Kinect Sports Rivals.

I expect a sizeable jump of at the bare minimum five more copies sold than what we expected prior to the reveal.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
So the 2 discount versions have given MH World an additional 80k in a year. It's not setting the charts on fire but always being on it shows the brand is still strong in Japan. I think thats all they want at this point.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
So the 2 discount versions have given MH World an additional 80k in a year. It's not setting the charts on fire but always being on it shows the brand is still strong in Japan. I think thats all they want at this point.

MH, in fact, became one of the best-selling franchises in Japan thanks to budget versions (see MHP 2nd on PSP). Every MH game gets a nice amount of sales from budget versions.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay will make it or break it.

Big boobs don't sell games by itself anymore. Senran Kagura was the first console game to be actually marketed with big boobs as the main feature but from its peak it lost power and attempts to reproduce its success have failed.
from the way they made it sound, I can't say I have much hope for the gameplay. if the gameplay was any way decent, it could stand on it's own. but Marvelous is forecasting lower sales because of the loss of lewds.

We've come so far as a civilization. Lmao.
it's all about thighs now

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
Opening stronger than Maker 2 doesn't mean anything considering your original post because Maker 2 will definitely sell more than Death Stranding in the long-run definitely having much stronger legs.

Luigi's Mansion 2 also did 1m units in Japan so the third entry could do as well.

The thing that makes DS exciting is that its opening will surprise the people that are underestimating it. So far, the game we spoke about had disappointing first week, so not much to be excited about before some months, unless another surprise happens, like Luigi Mansion 3 breaking records. I mean, we can try some hard reasoning + back&forth, those Fire Emblem numbers aren't good by any mean, even without considering optimistic and out-of-touch predictions. Legs might save it, but it will take forever to reach a decent number.

Big boobs don't sell games by itself anymore.

Good to see those games die.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
The thing that makes DS exciting is that its opening will surprise the people that are underestimating it. So far, the game we spoke about had disappointing first week, so not much to be excited about before some months, unless another surprise happens, like Luigi Mansion 3 breaking records. I mean, we can try some hard reasoning + back&forth, those Fire Emblem numbers aren't good by any mean, even without considering optimistic and out-of-touch predictions. Legs might save it, but it will take forever to reach a decent number.

I'm not underestimating Death Stranding as it might do very well but here we're talking about a game that might reach 1m sales before Christmas holidays (Maker 2). People will always forget how much Nintendo games sell during holidays and Lite is just around the corner.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I may have been sleeping but have preorders opened for Death Stranding in Japan? I dont think they have but ai couod be wrong.

Right now, I have no reason to be pessimistic or optimistic about the games sales because its still a ways out and we dont know what it actually really is.

How are any of you so sure?

Oct 25, 2017
DS should do fine. It's gotten a lot of "f*ckonami" marketing push and even if it's bad/mixed like Kojima's work for the last decade, it should still sell.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I'm not underestimating Death Stranding as it might do very well but here we're talking about a game that might reach 1m sales before Christmas holidays (Maker 2). People will always forget how much Nintendo games sell during holidays and Lite is just around the corner.
He didn't forget. He is purposefully ignoring anything that ruins his fragile argument, like the additional information we got on Mario Maker 2's sales and the vouchers. It's really getting tiring.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Death Stranding is going to do well because it stands out from the crowd. The "weirdest game ever omg!!!" marketing the game has going for it is a hell of a hook

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I may have been sleeping but have preorders opened for Death Stranding in Japan? I dont think they have but ai couod be wrong.

Right now, I have no reason to be pessimistic or optimistic about the games sales because its still a ways out and we dont know what it actually really is.

How are any of you so sure?
They have and I wouldn't say there's much of excitement so far.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Kojima definitely has some following but we have yet to see how much of it will buy its next game not named MGS.

Kojima did some games outside MGS before but they were more experimental stuffs. DS is the first not-MGS AAA game from him.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Kojima definitely has some following but we have yet to see how much of it will buy its next game not named MGS.

Kojima did some games outside MGS before but they were more experimental stuffs. DS is the first not-MGS AAA game from him.
I know he only produced it, but still I wish Boktai had been more successful. Such a cool idea.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The rollout of Death Stranding info has been just as bizarre as the game seems. We still have no idea how the game plays, what kind of genre it resembles, or anything like that and there's a little over 3 months before launch. When are they gonna share more about it?

It would be really interesting to see how well a game can sell based on Kojima's name alone though, to be honest.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The rollout of Death Stranding info has been just as bizarre as the game seems. We still have no idea how the game plays, what kind of genre it resembles, or anything like that and there's a little over 3 months before launch. When are they gonna share more about it?

It would be really interesting to see how well a game can sell based on Kojima's name alone though, to be honest.

All you need to know is that Kojima is an unparalleled visionary who is going to pull the interactive entertainment medium out of the gaming ghetto.

Kojima is the first mainstream game director in years to actually have something to say.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019

MM2 won't reach 1m before christmas holidays though. During most likely, but not before and I'm willing to take bet on that.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All you need to know is that Kojima is an unparalleled visionary who is going to pull the interactive entertainment medium out of the gaming ghetto.

Kojima is the first mainstream game director in years to actually have something to say.

1277377.jpg