• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
10-20% is the range of discounts at retailers. Big chains can move closer to high limit. If you don't buy only physical vouchers is the way to go.
I see. How about smaller retailers? Do they also do 10-20% discount?

Lower price and the Playstation audience.
Understood. I guess there were arguements on both sides why each version would do better than the other. How much is that game expecting to sell in total by the way?

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
(Taiwan)
Media Create Sales Week 30, 2019 (22 Jul - 28 Jul)

01./00. [NSW] Doraemon: Story of Seasons (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.07.25}
02./00. [NSW] Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Nintendo) {2019.07.26}
03./00. [NSW] Fishing Spirits: Nintendo Switch Version (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.07.25}
04./00. [NSW] Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: The Official Video Game (Sega) {2019.07.24}
05./02. [NSW] Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order (Nintendo) {2019.07.19}

(South Korea)
Media Create Sales Week 30, 2019 (22 Jul - 28 Jul)

01./00. [NSW] Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Nintendo) {2019.07.26}
02./00. [NSW] Doraemon: Story of Seasons (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.07.25}
03./00. [PS4] Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: The Official Video Game (Sega) {2019.07.24}
04./02. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 (Nintendo) {2019.06.28}
05./00. [NSW] Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: The Official Video Game (Sega) {2019.07.24}

[/b]
Dat asia PS4 relevance!

Kidding aside, strong switch showing in both SK and Taiwan

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
First Fire Emblem game translated in korean right? Glad to see it on the charts. I was a bit surprised to see so little korean streamers play the game on Twitch, so I don't know if it really is that big of a hit but certainly better than the 3DS titles.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
According to the link, Doraemon is super popular in Taiwan, and sales of the game show its strength.
In Korea, PS4 sports games are very popular, that's why the Olympic is higher than Switch.

Additionally, Rune Factory 4 doesn't have neither Korean nor Chinese language options (language update coming this fall), so the game didn't chart.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Mario + Rabbids
Octopath Traveler
Super Bomberman R
Fitness Boxing
None of which sold much more than 200K in JP or so right? WW I agree. In JP Square Enix kneecapped Octopath retail supply, Fitness has sold 40-60K (great unexpected sales for it, but still small). I'd say Bomberman was the biggest hit of those in JP.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
None of which sold more than 200K in JP or so right? WW I agree. In JP Square Enix kneecapped Octopath retail supply, Fitness has sold 40-60K (great unexpected sales for it, but still small). I'd say Bomberman was the biggest hit of those in JP.

The only one which didn't sell >200k is Fitness Boxing but it might arrive there sooner or later incl. digital.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
The only one which didn't sell >200k is Fitness Boxing but it might arrive there sooner or later incl. digital.
Ah M&R sold a bit more than I thought. I'm not including digital unless there's publisher data we can use there.

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle 86.956 213.453 Nintendo 18/01/2018
Octopath Traveler 109.579 193.780 Square Enix
Fitness Boxing 39.752 Imagineer
Super Bomberman R [All Versions] 39.609 179.605

I'd even argue Octopath disappointed in JP at retail (thanks to shortages). Largely it's smaller titles exceeding expectations, thus resulting in decent but by no means large sales on Switch. this is a problem largely on the 3rd parties though.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Ah M&R sold a bit more than I thought. I'm not including digital unless there's publisher data we can use there.

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle 86.956 213.453 Nintendo 18/01/2018
Octopath Traveler 109.579 193.780 Square Enix
Fitness Boxing 39.752 Imagineer
Super Bomberman R [All Versions] 39.609 179.605

I'd even argue Octopath disappointed in JP at retail (thanks to shortages). Largely it's smaller titles exceeding expectations, thus resulting in decent but by no means large sales on Switch. this is a problem largely on the 3rd parties though.

You are very much including digital when using data from gamedatalibrary, famitsu digital estimates that is.

But all these titles are north of 200k at retail except Fitness Boxing, what are the latest data from Famitsu gamedatalibrary could use besides weekly top 30 btw? Because Bomberman and Fitness Boxing all have outside of chart legs to some degree.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
You are very much including digital when using data from gamedatalibrary, famitsu digital estimates that is.

But all these titles are north of 200k at retail except Fitness Boxing, what are the latest data from Famitsu gamedatalibrary could use besides weekly top 30 btw? Because Bomberman and Fitness Boxing all have outside of chart legs to some degree.
I removed the Famitsu digital estimates there from gamedatalibrary, so no I wasn't including digital. Platform specific pages have them split out.

Nevertheless something being slightly north of 200K vs. < 200K doesn't really make a difference to my argument. They did fine, but I wouldn't call them "big" surprises. When 3rd party games like Ace Attorney, MHStories, Snack World, etc. easily cleared 300K on 3DS, and some were considered disappointing by their publishers, I'd like to see when Switch actually has 3rd party titles selling like that. Minecraft continues to do incredibly though I agree.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Octopath Traveler shipments in Japan were at least 330k at the end of March and the game keeps selling.

Taiko has recovered too after the last disappointing entries on 3DS, Wii U and PS4.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Neither Capcom is so crazy to develop Monster Hunter World 2 exclusively for PS5/XB4/PC if it comes out in the next 3 years.

I wouldn't expect anything big from Japanese publishers on PS5 skipping PS4 until its 2nd/3rd year at market.

That was the case with PS3/PS4 and at least in Japan PS5 starts from worse position.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Neither Capcom is so crazy to develop Monster Hunter World 2 exclusively for PS5/XB4/PC if it comes out in the next 3 years.

I wouldn't expect anything big from Japanese publishers on PS5 skipping PS4 until its 2nd/3rd year at market.
Yep.

My prediction is Q1 2023 for the start of exclusively next gen big JP games.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is it possible that streaming will really catch on in Japan? They're more into portable gaming, right? So if you can stream your PS5 games to your phone, tablet, etc. then it would surely do better than the PS4 has done, right? That's not a high bar given how poorly the PS4 has sold, but it's something.

Capcom is not going to make MHW2 exclusive to next gen consoles. Maybe they would make it exclusive to the PS5 in Japan, but not worldwide. And that scenario is too dumb to even happen. Maybe if Sony pays enough to Capcom

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I removed the Famitsu digital estimates there from gamedatalibrary, so no I wasn't including digital. Platform specific pages have them split out.

Nevertheless something being slightly north of 200K vs. < 200K doesn't really make a difference to my argument. They did fine, but I wouldn't call them "big" surprises. When 3rd party games like Ace Attorney, MHStories, Snack World, etc. easily cleared 300K on 3DS, and some were considered disappointing by their publishers, I'd like to see when Switch actually has 3rd party titles selling like that. Minecraft continues to do incredibly though I agree.

You used the 200k threshold to begin with and now it doesn't matter anymore.

Octopath shipped 300k+ units in Japan according to Square Enix report and I'd say it was a pretty big success for a new IP in the 2D jRPG genre.

Mario+Rabbids is also above 200k.

Bomberman definitely shipped 200k+ on Switch including the budget version which is still selling.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
According to the link, Doraemon is super popular in Taiwan, and sales of the game show its strength.
In Korea, PS4 sports games are very popular, that's why the Olympic is higher than Switch.

Additionally, Rune Factory 4 doesn't have neither Korean nor Chinese language options (language update coming this fall), so the game didn't chart.
Right, was going to ask if Doraemon was particularly popular in Taiwan or something. Hope Bamco shares ww data once it's available in EU / NA.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has seperated Europe from Others at sales spreadsheet for all Fiscal Years of Switch. When mainland China rolls in we will get an idea how big it can go.

At Asian counties Media Create tracks so far things don't look very different from Japan.

Last edited:

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know why Media Create is tracking those two countries in particular? And can we hope for mainland China rankings one day?

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Nintendo has seperated Europe from Others at sales spreadsheet for all Fiscal Years of Switch. When mainland China rolls in we will get an idea how big it can go.

At Chinese counties Media Create tracks so far things don't look very different from Japan.

Damn, you're right, I didn't even notice. Guess that "Others" category is getting too big to be slumped in with Europe. It accounts for half of JP sales during Q1, which is not too shabby.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
China is chaotic. It's unknown if the profit from subscriptions will be enough to cover the cost.

Other Asian countries could be added if there's interest.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris

Oh right my bad, still worth mentioning for those checking there though, if you only use the research function you will get a number made of retail + digital estimates (both coming from Famitsu)

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Even Famitsu did the unbelievable to combine tracked physical with internet polled digital for 2018 top sellers in Japan.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Is it possible that streaming will really catch on in Japan? They're more into portable gaming, right? So if you can stream your PS5 games to your phone, tablet, etc. then it would surely do better than the PS4 has done, right? That's not a high bar given how poorly the PS4 has sold, but it's something.

Capcom is not going to make MHW2 exclusive to next gen consoles. Maybe they would make it exclusive to the PS5 in Japan, but not worldwide. And that scenario is too dumb to even happen. Maybe if Sony pays enough to Capcom
If streaming takes off in Japan there won't be any reason to buy a PS5.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Do we know why Media Create is tracking those two countries in particular? And can we hope for mainland China rankings one day?

One of the reason because we don't have Media Create numbers anymore is because they were expanding to Asia and other markets.
The reason is easy, nobody is tracking these countries and they are becoming bigger. It's a chance for them to become the first tracker company.

More countries tracked by them, but no public data anymore.

Last edited:

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, I guess that's true. I thought for a second that you would need to own a PS5 to stream, but I guess that would not be the case. PS5 is dead on arrival in Japan sadly.

We still don't know what the PS5 will look like or how much it will cost or what sort of SW it will offer. It's an uphill battle but declaring it dead already is more than a little premature.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Octopath Traveler shipments in Japan were at least 330k at the end of March and the game keeps selling.

Taiko has recovered too after the last disappointing entries on 3DS, Wii U and PS4.

330K is better than I thought it'd be. I don't feel like it's charted on the physical charts in forever. Has it been a lot on the digital side?

I hadn't realized how Taiko's 2nd and 3rd 3ds entries declined so much. Taiko Switch has a long way to go to catch the first 3ds Taiko ~200-250K to go).

Last edited:

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
330K is better than I thought it's be. I don't feel like it's charted on the physical charts in forever. Has it been a lot on the digital side?

I hadn't realized how Taiko's 2nd and 3rd 3ds entries declined so much. Taiko Switch has a long way to go to catch the first 3ds Taiko ~200-250K to go).

The game had massive shortages hence it skewed significantly towards digital.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
330K is better than I thought it's be. I don't feel like it's charted on the physical charts in forever. Has it been a lot on the digital side?

330k is the minimum, but the range is up to 420k in Japan.
We know that because overseas sales were 1.08m by Dec 31st, and 1.17m by March 31st acording to Nintendo reports.
And Square Enix announced 1.5 million sales (including Japan) in February.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
From 2018 eShop top sellers we know Taiko digital sales aren't insignificant in Japan and BN announced ww shipments topped 600k in May.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Besides, if that PR is to be believed, they're planning to keep supporting Drum 'n Fun instead of releasing a new game, so it should keep selling in the long run.

Unless that PR is bs and they announce a new game around TGS like they usually do.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Besides, if that PR is to be believed, they're planning to keep supporting Drum 'n Fun instead of releasing a new game, so it should keep selling in the long run.

Unless that PR is bs and they announce a new game around TGS like they usually do.

They would release a Taiko game on a competing platform if that were a reasonable option.

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know why I'm here.

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!​

KH3 has left Tracker. With this... KH3 has gone to its chamber of sleep.

Tracker (Dengeki): 757,446
Superior Tracker (Famitsu) + ST Digital (better than nothing): 838,927 + 130,731
ST Road to 1 million: 969,658

So close to 1m.

I would like to take this time to thank...

Tensaiya Nomura

44416.jpg

for this amazing journey. From January to July, KH3 stayed in the charts and I was able to bring joy to the lives of many here (Even before that with 2.8 and 1.5+2.5 reentering the charts back in Feb 2018). A true tensai. While KH3 wasn't able to reach 1m, a Final Mix release will clearly get that remaining 30k. With that said...

KH will return one day...
and so will I.

giphy.gif

Thank you all for your time.​

Rob2K19 what will be your next game ?

I only posted this hard for KH (favorite game series). I did post for other games I really liked such as .hack//GU once in a while. So either KH3 Final Mix for that 1m goal or the next new KH game. I might make an exception for FF7R because Nomura, the characters appeared in KH, and its my favorite FF game. With that said... the one true successor to Rockman releases on September 26. ;)

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Famitsu:

Nintendo Switch/36613台(累計:862万9628台)
プレイステーション4/6028台(累計:702万9568台)
プレイステーション4 Pro/4026台(累計:122万6691台)
Xbox One X/35台(累計:16326台)
Xbox One S/13台(累計:90808台)
Newニンテンドー2DS LL(ニンテンドー2DS含む)/2311台(累計:164万5050台)
Newニンテンドー3DS LL/299台(累計:588万2697台)
プレイステーション Vita/115台(586万2120台)

Fire Emblem: 35k
SMM2: 36k