• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
All you need to know is that Kojima is an unparalleled visionary who is going to pull the interactive entertainment medium out of the gaming ghetto.

Kojima is the first mainstream game director in years to actually have something to say.

(I know you're joking)

Kojima always struck me as someone who has a fascinating way of telling stories while at the same time has an extremely impressive read of our current society and culture. I mean, the ending sequence of MGS2 is almost prophetic in describing today's political climate.

But I never really thought his games actually played all that well.

So I mean, DS might have a really cool story and setting, but at the end of the day these are still video games, and we are supposed to play them. The fact that we don't know how this game plays does not fill me with confidence.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
From next century we moved to Christmas. Small jump of time.
A 2 month Christmas sounds sweet.

The rollout of Death Stranding info has been just as bizarre as the game seems. We still have no idea how the game plays, what kind of genre it resembles, or anything like that and there's a little over 3 months before launch. When are they gonna share more about it?

It would be really interesting to see how well a game can sell based on Kojima's name alone though, to be honest.
I feel like part of it is that with Kojima, you can trust the gameplay will be good and he knows it. MGS V's gameplay is immaculate.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The rollout of Death Stranding info has been just as bizarre as the game seems. We still have no idea how the game plays, what kind of genre it resembles, or anything like that and there's a little over 3 months before launch. When are they gonna share more about it?

It would be really interesting to see how well a game can sell based on Kojima's name alone though, to be honest.
Yeah. For such a supposedly revolutionary game, it'd be nice to see what exactly makes Death Stranding so unique that it deserves its own genre.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Maker 2 shipments could be over 800k by the end of September. They will be unofficially over 1m before holidays begin but maybe retail sales will make it too.

In the end who cares if it will be over 1m before or after Christmas. 2m is the target for this game.

Last edited:

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
(I know you're joking)

Kojima always struck me as someone who has a fascinating way of telling stories while at the same time has an extremely impressive read of our current society and culture. I mean, the ending sequence of MGS2 is almost prophetic in describing today's political climate.

But I never really thought his games actually played all that well.

So I mean, DS might have a really cool story and setting, but at the end of the day these are still video games, and we are supposed to play them. The fact that we don't know how this game plays does not fill me with confidence.

MGSV played so well it redeemed the entire game though. MGS4 was kind of "fine" in that department too.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
Yeah I'm talking more about MGS1-3, haven't played MGS5. If that plays really well then I have more hope DS will too.

MGS5 is still the best open-world TPS you can play to this day, especially if you ignore everything regarding the story, the narration, the dialogues... which are downright awful.

In the end who cares if it will be over 1m before or after Christmas.

I sure don't, I just know it won't happen before Christmas. No big deal overall, MM2 isn't the story of the year.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I sure don't, I just know it won't happen before Christmas. No big deal overall.
You don't "know", you're guessing/predicting like the rest of us.

Also, first you say it won't happen this century and now you're saying it won't happen till after Christmas, claiming smug superiority even if it's just a few days late.
Seems oddly combative

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
They have and I wouldn't say there's much of excitement so far.

Interesting. Maybe we'll see an increase closer to release (or when they show something relevant)

Depends on what Sfortunato define as Christmas holidays, you should ask him too. For me, it means the usual 6 to 7 weeks rush where every games get bumped hard.

Christmas holidays spans 6-7 weeks? Like early November? :/

sfortunato what do you define Christmas holidays as?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Mario Maker 2 shipments could be over 800k by the end of September. They will be unofficially over 1m before holidays begin but maybe retail sales will make it too.

In the end who cares if it will be over 1m before or after Christmas. 2m is the target for this game.
Trolls trying to stir shit care very much. Or claim they don't care I should say

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
You don't "know", you're guessing/predicting like the rest of us.

Cool.

Also, first you say it won't happen this century and now you're saying it won't happen till after Christmas, claiming smug superiority even if it's just a few days late.
Seems oddly combative

You (and others) keep mentioning a post I got a warning for bro. Moderation judged it was inappropriate console-warring, I complied like I always do regarding Resetera's moderation, regardless of what I personally think. I won't comment further a moderation decision or a moderated comment.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Cool.

You (and others) keep mentioning a post I got a warning for bro. Moderation judged it was inappropriate console-warring, I complied like I always do regarding Resetera's moderation, regardless of what I personally think. I won't comment further a moderation decision or a moderated comment.
People are going to keep quoting that post, and the fact that you were warned for it gives them even more credence in using it

In short, deal with the stupid stuff you posted

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
My comments on the Top 30:

Code:
13./00. [NSW] Pioneer no Banshou: Ricordo # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2019.07.25} (¥6.300) - 5.279 / NEW <80-100%>
Good debut imo. The game was originally released for the Vita in August 2018, of which 5844 copies were sold in the first week. It's also a significantly higher FW number than previous Otomate games for the Switch.

Code:
14./00. [PS4] Kill la Kill the Game: If # <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2019.07.25} (¥6.800) - 5.220 / NEW <40-60%>
26./00. [NSW] Kill la Kill the Game: If # <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2019.07.25} (¥6.800) - 2.615 / NEW <40-60%>
This is a very bad result imo. Less than 8k copies sold on both platforms combined and both SKUs are in the <40-60%> sellthrough range... I doubt the west will save it lol.

Code:
06./00. [NSW] Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: The Official Video Game <SPT> (Sega) {2019.07.24} (¥4.990) - 9.425 / NEW <20-40%>
19./00. [PS4] Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: The Official Video Game <SPT> (Sega) {2019.07.24} (¥4.990) - 4.150 / NEW <20-40%>
B-B-B-Bomba! Mario & Sonic will save it tho.

Nothing surprising in the rest of the 11-30 segment of the chart. Nice hold for Monster Hunter World's 2nd Best Price edition btw.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, when do preorders open for DQXIS? I'm really curious to see what that can do as a very late but very enhanced port on a different console.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
People are going to keep quoting that post, and the fact that you were warned for it gives them even more credence in using it

In short, deal with the stupid stuff you posted

I don't care, they can keep mentioning it all day. It's not me who's freaking out. It's not like I defended some vile shit or something, hey.

If that can help some people to cope with how wrong they were about FE:TH, I see that as a good thing.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Now that FE debuted is time to talk about Astral Chain.

Is it going to debut lower or higher than Bayo 2?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My comments on the Top 30:

Code:
13./00. [NSW] Pioneer no Banshou: Ricordo # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2019.07.25} (¥6.300) - 5.279 / NEW <80-100%>
Good debut imo. The game was originally released for the Vita in August 2018, of which 5844 copies were sold in the first week. It's also a significantly higher FW number than previous Otomate games for the Switch.

Code:
14./00. [PS4] Kill la Kill the Game: If # <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2019.07.25} (¥6.800) - 5.220 / NEW <40-60%>
26./00. [NSW] Kill la Kill the Game: If # <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2019.07.25} (¥6.800) - 2.615 / NEW <40-60%>
This is a very bad result imo. Less than 8k copies sold on both platforms combined and both SKUs are in the <40-60%> sellthrough range... I doubt the west will save it lol.

Code:
06./00. [NSW] Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: The Official Video Game <SPT> (Sega) {2019.07.24} (¥4.990) - 9.425 / NEW <20-40%>
19./00. [PS4] Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: The Official Video Game <SPT> (Sega) {2019.07.24} (¥4.990) - 4.150 / NEW <20-40%>
B-B-B-Bomba! Mario & Sonic will save it tho.

Nothing surprising in the rest of the 11-30 segment of the chart. Nice hold for Monster Hunter World's 2nd Best Price edition btw.

Capcom clearly saved the Otome market on Switch with Toraware no Palm.

Deleted member 59

I for one am glad that the ignore function exists. Never used it before, but this thread is becoming difficult to visit at the moment, might have to use it soon :p

Ok start for FE in what i imagine will be a WW focused sales success story rather than Japan.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Surely those Olympics games are expected to sell for a while? The actual event is a year from now. I'm not expecting big numbers for this version but the FW shouldn't be the whole story.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Some posts from this thread will surely be quoted when Fire Emblem Japanese shipments are out.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Maybe we'll see an increase closer to release (or when they show something relevant)
There are still 3 monts left, things will likely pick up but so far hype doesn't really exist.

With how frontloaded PS4 games are and how fast price goes down for expensive games if it doesn't have a big opening don't expect big things. And it depends what anyone means with big things. If you mean sales being close to MGSV it's not happening.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, when do preorders open for DQXIS? I'm really curious to see what that can do as a very late but very enhanced port on a different console.
The custom Switch comes bundled with the game right?
It's using the new Switch so it'll be interesting to see how it performs. New switch comes out late August/early September in Japan so it should be pretty popular being in the first wave of early adopters.

Timing is pretty good too, Hero just came out and has been getting a lot of buzz, Switch lite comes out the week prior, and it has a bundle as well.
Should be setting itself up to do pretty well, even if the worst selling version (As it's so late)

Guess SE is hoping Japanese players double dip. 3DS players have almost a brand new game in UE4 version and those that played the UE4 version have several changes to that+the classic mode.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Chris1964 really does live rent free is some users heads. I mean you have people creating alt account just to try and have a go at him. In the end they get banned and Chris is still here. Really makes you think.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Tbh i would be shocked if LakLak isnt just an alt of someone who got banned for trolling in these threads, but i have them on ignore so i dont really care that much.

Just gets kinda annoying when half the thread is quoting posts i dont even see.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
It's using the new Switch so it'll be interesting to see how it performs. New switch comes out late August/early September in Japan so it should be pretty popular being in the first wave of early adopters.
I really should have just preordered that special Switch one. It looked so cool.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Timing is pretty good too, Hero just came out and has been getting a lot of buzz, Switch lite comes out the week prior, and it has a bundle as well.
Should be setting itself up to do pretty well, even if the worst selling version (As it's so late)

Guess SE is hoping Japanese players double dip. 3DS players have almost a brand new game in UE4 version and those that played the UE4 version have several changes to that+the classic mode.

Yeah it has more or less everything going for it outside of the fact that it's a 2 year old game. I really have no idea what to predict for it.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
Chris1964 really does live rent free is some users heads. I mean you have people creating alt account just to try and have a go at him. In the end they get banned and Chris is still here. Really makes you think.

When someone keep mentioning you indirectly and try to get your attention for half a thread, you react at some point, yes.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I checked first week initial shipments for Mario Maker

[WIU] Super Mario Maker <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.09.10} (¥5.700) - 250.000 physical
[3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.12.01} (¥4.700) - 330.000 physical
[NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.06.28} (¥5.980) - 520.000 physical+digital

For Mario Maker 3DS digital literally didn't exist, shipments almost match retail sell-through
For Mario Maker Wii U physical+digital was 390.000 at the end of September

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Holistury is the time period between a century and holidays, thanks to Media Create for spawning this term we can discuss every game with certainty now