• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Saga sold more on PS4 than Switch? I think it shows that Switch has eaten up a large portion of Vita audience. And PS4, PSV overlap is not as large as people thought.

I think the fact that there's 15 charting Switch titles is also a factor, especially with Octopath releasing around the same time frame.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Well ... if they're worried about the fanbase not moving together with the series to a different platform, they can always ease the switch by making the last two or three entries cross-gen/platform.
I don't think they're too worried, the fanbase is core likely older and not too massive. Seems like the type that would move over to the switch anyway with given impetus and there's been plenty of time to make the transition.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
maybe also the overlapping in themes? another RPG while many still waiting to try Octopath on Switch... maybe?
I dunno. If I go into a store and don't find the game I want, I'd buy a similar game. OT's shortage should be an advantage for Saga on Switch. I think it shows that a lot of Switch gamers own Vita. In fact I can't think of a single Vita port that sold well on Switch: YsVIII, DQB, DQH1+2, and now Saga. It's not a good news for Vita ports, but it is a good news for new installments. It seems the transition of handheld gamers is going well.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
How does Switch being stable at 48k-50k, compare with summer 3DS/DS/WII/ performance? I know that nintendo sells mostly on Holidays, but it's always stable in summer? I was looking at the 3DS in 2012 and 2013 and one year it was selling steadily and the next it started selling more on autumn, but I don't know if it is related to releases.

Thanks.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
given the price of the Switch, is hitting 600K with a price cut worth it?
Nintendo probably won't cut the price any time soon, sales are rising, software is high production is sorted. 3rd year onward I'd expect them to be more aggressive but for now now they likely don't want to eat into their profit margins.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. If I go into a store and don't find the game I want, I'd buy a similar game. OT's shortage should be an advantage for Saga on Switch. I think it shows that a lot of Switch gamers own Vita. In fact I can't think of a single Vita port that sold well on Switch: YsVIII, DQB, DQH1+2, and now Saga. It's not a good news for Vita ports, but it is a good news for new installments. It seems the transition of handheld gamers is going well.
Late ports don't do that well for Switch in Japan it seems. Just a few special cases.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The online subscription isn't that profitable yet, it's only 20 dollars for the year. Your looking long term over two years to maybe get that money back if they cut the price by $50 now.

Thats in measurable revenue, theres also a networking effect where people are driven to buy the games everyone on their friends list is playing so that they don't miss out, which obviously isn't directly measurable but its hard to say doesnt exist.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
10./00. [PS4] SaGa: Scarlet Grace # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2018.08.02} (¥5.800) - 14.971 / NEW
12./00. [NSW] SaGa: Scarlet Grace # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2018.08.02} (¥5.800) - 9.586 / NEW

The difference between the two versions is pretty small all things considered.

04./02. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.07.19} (¥6.100) - 21.642 / 119.891 (-23%)

It would be nice to see a comparison with previous entries, hiska-kun .

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The online subscription isn't that profitable yet, it's only 20 dollars for the year. Your looking long term over two years to maybe get that money back if they cut the price by $50 now.

Hmmm well you also wind up pulling customers you probably wouldn't get for a year or possibly more. That's true though about how cheap it is, I keep forgetting that.

Maybe it'll be a $25 price cut (or equivalent yen). Or just a bundle at normal MSRP.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
How does Switch being stable at 48k-50k, compare with summer 3DS/DS/WII/ performance? I know that nintendo sells mostly on Holidays, but it's always stable in summer? I was looking at the 3DS in 2012 and 2013 and one year it was selling steadily and the next it started selling more on autumn, but I don't know if it is related to releases.

Thanks.

Very difficult to compare. DS and Wii were released in a completely different era, now mobile gaming eat a good part of the market. The DS is probably never going to be beaten, if I remember correctly after the launch of the DS Lite it sold 100k a week as a baseline. Absolute monster.

I think the 3DS launch aligned was selling slightly more in the same period, but it already had a panic price cut and it effectively costed half of what the Switch costs now (plus it had better support from third parties) and it was sold at loss.

Wii in Japan sold well for 2 years then died very soon so it's not in the same category at all.

Switch is doing really well for its price and well in general.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The difference between the two versions is pretty small all things considered.

It would be nice to see a comparison with previous entries, hiska-kun .
Switch (release July 19th 2018):
01./00. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.07.19} (¥6.100) - 69.984 / NEW
02./01. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.07.19} (¥6.100) - 28.265 / 98.249 (-60%)
04./02. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.07.19} (¥6.100) - 21.642 / 119.891 (-23%)

3DS (released July 12th 2012):
02./00. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.12} (¥5.040) - 63.388 / NEW
06./02. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.12} (¥5.040) - 31.741 / 97.202 (-52%)
14./06. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.12} (¥5.040) - 20.270 / 117.472 (-36%)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats in measurable revenue, theres also a networking effect where people are driven to buy the games everyone on their friends list is playing so that they don't miss out, which obviously isn't directly measurable but its hard to say doesnt exist.
they get that now without an online subscription

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Please spend some of that Etrian Odyssey money to bring it over to the West. I know it will probably sell 1000 copies, but hopefully the Japanese sales will more than compensate for that.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
NIS and Koei Vita ports and multiplats weren't big on Switch either although that flipped eventually as Vita's died off.

On the other hand Vita's lone real killer app is doing even better on Switch.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When people are paying to play online and cant play online with their regular friends because they are all playing a different title, theres a different psychology to not paying anything and just having a mild interest in what others are playing.
if everyone's playing fortnite or splatoon or some shit now and you aren't while online is free, I don't think the introduction of paid online is going to change that

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Switch is great for Japan and for Japanese publishers unable to break through western or mobile markets presently.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

Lots of charts on the second page.

2018_08_08_22_10_28.jpg

You can get some idea from those by keeping in mind when the systems were launched. And yes big releases affect sales of course.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the first time in a while we've seen something positive from a 3DS software launch.

Last edited:

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
NIS and Koei Vita ports and multiplats weren't big on Switch either although that flipped eventually as Vita's died off.

On the other hand Vita's lone real killer app is doing even better on Switch.
Yeah, Minecraft is a game people want to continue playing, not finish and drop.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Seems like the first time in a while we've seens something positive from a 3DS software launch.
Atlus fans are still more or less there most others have jumped ship. It makes sense though since Imagine they're been trained very well to expect software releases late into a systems lifespan.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Not really. A much more logical explanation is that they messed up at the onset with predicting how many units they needed to satisfy demand and are now at the back of the queue for getting new carts produced, explaining why they can't get big quanities out for now.

You'd think they could get a re-order done well enough to satisfy demand in a more timely fashion than a month, but I guess not (considering they have everything submitted and passed or whatever from the first run of carts - you would think the process of getting another run would be faster). I'm somewhat inclined to believe they're just playing it safe and ordering smaller batches of 10-20k carts than placing a larger order of 100k carts which is what would fix the shortage problem.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
it makes too much sense to cut the price of the switch this holiday, given their sales projections that are looking increasingly ambitious, but maybe i'm overestimating nintendo

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
it makes too much sense to cut the price of the switch this holiday, given their sales projections that are looking increasingly ambitious, but maybe i'm overestimating nintendo

I think they'd rather miss targets than cut the price. Gotta make profit while the system is selling steadily.
I think a price cut makes sense next year, when the 2019 lineup is loaded and they push towards mass adoption in holiday 2019.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I think they'd rather miss targets than cut the price. Gotta make profit while the system is selling steadily.
I think a price cut makes sense next year, when the 2019 lineup is loaded and they push towards mass adoption in holiday 2019.
The question is, how much lift do they get in sales when dropping the price by lets say 15%? If you can handle the production then it makes sense to cut the price because you can get gains of 30% or more by dropping the price only by 15%. I think its a question of production. I do agree with what you're saying, though. 2019 makes more sense in terms of production being able to handle the demand of a price cut. I think they're pretty much locked in the 20 million forecast this year and will either meet it or maybe fall slightly short, but not by that much. The 2019 forecast will be interesting and I think they will go over 20 million in 2019.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
After seeing the Smash direct its obvious this game has a very big budget. Its going to sell a lot of Switches. The amount of content and variety in characters is just too good to ignore. I mean Smash was never on the level of Pokemon or Mario Kart but this entry will bring it into a new level of sales. I don't think 25 million lifetime sales is far fetched to be honest.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, not really.
They will introduce Holiday bundles and have two absolute system sellers ready.

There wont be a mayor price drop before next FY.
So, we got a MH character in Smash. I think it's time to lay down any remaining notions that Nintendo is angry with Capcom.

MH XX/Gen Ultimate already had BotW cotsumes and did recieve a bundle in 2017.
At the end its just business ....and they knew that MH would likely return if Switch was a success.

Then again MH would probably also featured if Nintendo was angry....Sakurai doesnt lol.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
After seeing the Smash direct its obvious this game has a very big budget. Its going to sell a lot of Switches. The amount of content and variety in characters is just too good to ignore. I mean Smash was never on the level of Pokemon or Mario Kart but this entry will bring it into a new level of sales. I don't think 25 million lifetime sales is far fetched to be honest.
I've been on the 20M+ train since the Direct in March, and this Direct only helps to reinforce that feeling. 25M definitely is a possibility: I feel Smash is going to break beyond its previous limit of 13-14 million and become even more of a phenomenon.

Edigar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Thanks.

Switch is selling for real gamers, who buy lots of games.

DS sold more, but many for non gamers.

Switch is doing way better, in my opinion.

Oct 27, 2017
Very difficult to compare. DS and Wii were released in a completely different era, now mobile gaming eat a good part of the market. The DS is probably never going to be beaten, if I remember correctly after the launch of the DS Lite it sold 100k a week as a baseline. Absolute monster.
People mention mobile often, but I think it's more to do with the Switch being roughly twice the cost of both of them. You're comparing significantly cheaper systems and their performance