• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
given it's a single player rpg with no extended play value (DLC, multiplayer), once this hits the used shops, it's all over.

though, weirdly enough, there may not even be enough used copies to satisfy demand. so who knows

but why hasn't that happened to Zelda? the game is huge but I doubt most people are going crazy with the shrines and the korok seeds.

used copies should have thrown the game out of the top 20 long ago but people are holding on to their copies for whatever reaso

why can't OT behave like that?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
but why hasn't that happened to Zelda? the game is huge but I doubt most people are going crazy with the shrines and the korok seeds.

used copies should have thrown the game out of the top 20 long ago but people are holding on to their copies for whatever reaso

Breath of the Wild is an open world game where you can always explore something new or experiment with physics.

Mario Odyssey likewise, has many possibilities.

Octopath will be like Xenbolade 2, good legs for a JRPG but it's still a JRPG

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
ComG! Week Sales, 2018 (Aug 06 - Aug 12)

DjLd02nU4AEvmBU.jpg

01/ N [PS4] Yakuza 3 - 68 pt
02/02 [3DS] WarioWare Gold - 49 pt (-11 pt)
03/ N [PS4] Fire Pro-Wrestling World (Normal Version) - 47 pt
04/07 [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! - 41 pt (+11 pt)
05/01 [3DS] Etrian Odyssey X - 36 pt (-168 pt)
06/06 [NSW] Minecraft - 31 pt (-1 pt)
07/03 [NSW] Pro Baseball Famista Evolution - 29 pt (-24 pt)
08/15 [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 25 pt (+10 pt)
09/11 [NSW] Mario Tennis Ace - 24 pt (+6 pt)
10/14 [NSW] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 21 pt (+4 pt)
11/ N [PS4] Bullet Girls: Phantasia - 20 pt
12/ N [PS4] Fire Pro-Wrestling World Premium edition - 16 pt

13/14 [3DS] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 16 pt (=)
14/04 [PS4] SaGa: Scarlet Grace - Scarlet Ambition - 15 pt (-19 pt)
15/ R. [PS4] Rockman X Anniversary Collection 1&2 - 13 pt
16/13 [NSW] Splatoon 2 - 13 pt (-3 pt)
17/ N [NSW] Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaire's Conspiracy DX - 13 pt
18/ N [PSV] Bullet Girls: Phantasia - 12 pt

19/09 [NSW] Octopath Traveler - 12 pt (-10 pt)
20/05 [PS4] Friday the 13th: The Game - 11 pt (-23 pt)

NSW: 9 (-2)
PS4: 7 (+3)
3DS: 3 (-1)
PSV: 1 (=)

ComG! Week Sales, 2018 (Jul 30 - Aug 05)
https://www.resetera.com/threads/me...018-jul-23-jul-29.59229/page-11#post-11149228

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

BotW is considered to be maybe the best video game ever made by a good portion of people.

Not sure OT has had the same level of response.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Wonder how Yakuza 3 will do considering it's just a remaster this time, and not a remake.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
TSUTAYA Ranking Sales, 2018 (Aug 06 - Aug 12)

04/ N [PS4] Fire Pro-Wrestling World
09/ N [NSW] Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaire's Conspiracy DX
14/ N [PS4] Bullet Girls: Phantasia
20/ N [PSV] Bullet Girls: Phantasia

i0U1pBy.jpg

NSW: 12
PS4: 5
3DS: 2
PSV: 1

Last edited:

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
MHW on Tencent Wegame (a platform like steam) was reported to the government, leading to it being taken off shelves.

Sigh. Entering China is still very difficult to videogame companies.

TongPoo

Jul 14, 2018
MHW on Tencent Wegame (a platform like steam) was reported to the government, leading to it being taken off shelves.

Sigh. Entering China is still very difficult to videogame companies.
The specific reason for it being taken off shelves is not revealed yet. I have read an article claiming that MHW on Wegame has not gone through proper reviewing process by the government, but Tencent put it on the platform nonetheless to prevent the delay.

Still quite disappointed to the whole thing. It seems Tencent and Capcom have put much effort to bring MHW to a Chinese platform. (The steam version is still available in China.) Tsujimoto even went to China to promote this game.

However, it is still possible that Tencent can get a version of MHW passing the review in the future.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
The specific reason for it being taken off shelves is not revealed yet. I have read an article claiming that MHW on Wegame has not gone through proper reviewing process by the government, but Tencent put it on the platform nonetheless to prevent the delay.

Still quite disappointed to the whole thing. It seems Tencent and Capcom have put much effort to bring MHW to a Chinese platform. (The steam version is still available in China.) Tsujimoto even went to China to promote this game.

However, it is still possible that Tencent can get a version of MHW passing the review in the future.
I found others claiming Tencent has indeed got the greenlight from government before putting it onto Wegame. Although the actual reason has not been revealed, it still proved that entering Chinese market is very difficult to companies. They need to deal with bureaucracy as well as fanboys who are easily triggered and use the review system (which is highly questionable) as means of attack. I am afraid they will be more conservative towards the market, even though they may be supported by huge companies like Tencent.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Weird to see Okami HD so low for both COMG (out of Top 20) and Tsutaya, in spite of its first day sell-through. Not the sell-through itself, but the ranking: usually the blog lists games in decreasing order, from the one with the biggest first day to the one with the lowest + special categories such as "Rabbids Land" or "Miitopia Land", and Okami HD was second on there. I wonder if somehow both Comgnet and especially Tsutaya don't represent the game properly or if the blog this time didn't report first day sell-throughs in order. Or maybe it's just a combination of most new releases being all low sellers (as the blog reported), thus the first week sales aren't that different, and long sellers being steady / potentially rising as Obon approaches.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I'm out for this Wednesday, if numbers are posted someone else has to make the thread.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
August 13, Octopath Traveler restocks news :p

Rare restocks, very/low quantities

ComG! nakyajou (low quantities)
DkeWZL7U4AAckGd.jpg

Theta totuska, 1983, dorasuta haruki (very low quantities), ojamakan (low quantities) and others but not many.

Famicom Therion :p

DkeZ8wXU4AAgD0s.jpg

DkeZ-U3VAAA-q2D.jpg

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
GEO Ranking Sales, 2018 July

tumblr_inline_netlurp9kr1t0ff2i.png

N: new
R: return
F: First time in top 10 but not during the launch month

Games

01/ N [NSW] Octopath Traveler
02/ N [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun!
03/01 [NSW] Mario Tennis Ace
04/04 [NSW] Minecraft
05/ N [NSW] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

06/ ..F [PS4] Zanki Zero: Last Beginning
07/07 [NSW] Splatoon 2
08/10 [PS4] The Crew 2
09/ R. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
10/ N [PS4] Rockman X Anniversary Collection 1 + 2

Games (second-hand)

01/01 [PS4] Monster Hunter: World
02/02 [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
03/03 [NSW] Splatoon 2
04/07 [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey
05/04 [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
06/ F. [NSW] Mario Tennis Ace
07/09 [PS4] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018
08/ R. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts - HD 1.5 + 2.5 remix
09/ R. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
10/ R. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2018

Hardware

01/01 - Nintendo Switch
02/ N - Nintendo Classic Mini Famicom Weekly Shonen Jump 50th Anniversary
03/03 - Nintendo Classic Mini Famicom
04/02 - PlayStation 4 (500 GB)
05/05 - Nintendo Classic Mini Super Famicom
06/ N - Nintendo Switch Splatoon 2 set
07/04 - Playstation 4 Pro (1 TB)
08/08 - New Nintendo 2DS LL
09/06 - Playstation 4 (1TB)
10/07 - PS Vita

Hardware (second-hand)

01/01 - Nintendo Switch
02/02 - PlayStation 4 (500 GB)
03/04 - New Nintendo 3DS LL
04/03 - PlayStation 4 Pro (1 TB)
05/05 - PS Vita
06/ R. - Nintendo Classic Mini Famicom
07/08 - Nintendo 3DS
08/07 - Playstation 4 (1TB)
09/ R. - Nintendo 2DS LL
10/09 - Nintendo 3DS LL

GEO Ranking Sales, 2018 June
https://www.resetera.com/threads/me...018-jul-02-jul-08.54668/page-19#post-10456956

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
I can do it.
Not as fast as you, but if you give me 20 minutes or so should be ready.

Glad to hear that. No mention about numbers being delayed on 4Gamer, so looks like they'll be on time.

Famitsu survey for western fans of Octopath Traveler.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201808/14162368.html

I'd like to joke that they're looking for western fans because shortages have made it hard to find someone who has played the game in Japan, but they've already done several such surveys before :P

Last edited:

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
Glad to hear that. No mention about numbers being delayed on 4Gamer, so looks like they'll be on time.

Famitsu survey for western fans of Octopath Traveler.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201808/14162368.html

I'd like to joke that they're looking for western fans because shortages have made it hard to find someone who has played the game in Japan, but they've already done several such surveys before :P

I did my job and answered the suvey.

Oct 25, 2017
SE likes demos a lot despite data showing that it doesn't necessarily work.
Or maybe that's just for indie games.

No real way to know if a demo helped or hurt a game's sales but I guess if the games do well and fans like them they might as well keep at it

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
October is my favorite part of summer.

(now looking at the thread I realize this joke is wholly original)

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
SE likes demos a lot despite data showing that it doesn't necessarily work.
Or maybe that's just for indie games.

No real way to know if a demo helped or hurt a game's sales but I guess if the games do well and fans like them they might as well keep at it

It was mentioned here that pre-orders and interest saw an increase after the second demo. With the first demo being downloaded over one million times worldwide, having a very positive reception, and giving Square Enix valuable feedback for the final game, I don't think it's a stretch to assume that it helped as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Sussex, England, UK
Amazon put a date for next Octopath Traveler restock: 5 September.
Good thing there isn't another first party title till October!

Hopefully Nintendo are seriously thinking about expanding production facilities going forward. As more and more titles are produced, there simply won't be the capacity to produce them and also produce the ever-growing number of existing titles in the quantity required. They're struggling to fit in one title as it is, and since they decided to go with proprietary cartridges I think it will be up to them to put in the money required to open a new factory, new lines, whatever is needed. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Good thing there isn't another first party title till October!

Hopefully Nintendo are seriously thinking about expanding production facilities going forward. As more and more titles are produced, there simply won't be the capacity to produce them and also produce the ever-growing number of existing titles in the quantity required. They're struggling to fit in one title as it is, and since they decided to go with proprietary cartridges I think it will be up to them to put in the money required to open a new factory, new lines, whatever is needed. What are everyone's thoughts on this?
The only game that faced real supply problems after new year's holidays is Octopath Traveler.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon put a date for next Octopath Traveler restock: 5 September.

Whaaat. So no big restock for Obon? WTF Square.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

I dont think this is a cart production problem anymore. This is the first time that a game has been in this situation for so long, Captain toad faced the same problem, and one week later there was a good restock. Both tittles released at the same time.

Oct 27, 2017
Sussex, England, UK
Whaaat. So no big restock for Obon? WTF Square.

I dont think this is a cart production problem anymore. This is the first time that a game has been in this situation for so long, Captain toad faced the same problem, and one week later there was a good restock. Both tittles released at the same time.

Could this be a case of Nintendo prioritising its own titles though? Since they control the production, and would of course want their own titles restocked.

Oct 27, 2017
Could this be a case of Nintendo prioritising its own titles though? Since they control the production, and would of course want their own titles restocked.
I strongly doubt it. SE has been aware of the shortages for weeks now, and Nintendo is a global company with the capability to produce as many game cards as needed. This isn't like HW where there are component shortages that limit them

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
That's quite a long wait for the next shipment; hopefully SE can find a way to move up this new batch.

Still, if the game value's stays high, especially looking at used copies, I can see its sales going on for a while in spite of the shortages. Not having them would be the ideal scenario, but oh well.