• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Nice to see Bamco keeping their handheld anime business open. Was worried it was dying off with the shift from 3DS/Vita and more expensive dev costs, but with these number multiplat should be easy

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see Bamco keeping their handheld anime business open. Was worried it was dying off with the shift from 3DS/Vita and more expensive dev costs, but with these number multiplat should be easy
Ho5m7pw.png

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing. At best it releases late 2019, but I'm starting to think it will release in 2020 and has no way of selling much.

Apparently developpement is now going well and a trailer is expected at TGS. 2019 si the safest best imo.

Depending on the exclusive content, the game could sell well. It is still a mainline Dragon Quest after all, even if it is a port.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently developpement is now going well and a trailer is expected at TGS. 2019 si the safest best imo.

Depending on the exclusive content, the game could sell well. It is still a mainline Dragon Quest after all, even if it is a port.
By "selling much" I mean Dragon Quest standards. I think it will perform similar to MHXX. 250k~300k-ish.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
They aren't releasing the game if they think it would sell less than 500k on Switch...they will add whatever neccesary to make it happen.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
By "selling much" I mean Dragon Quest standards. I think it will perform similar to MHXX. 250k~300k-ish.

Yeah it could obviously. However I feel like DQXI is a tricky situation.

DQXI on Switch will feel more like a remake than a port for 3DS exclusive owners. So maybe it could sell like a remake for this population and more like a port for people that played the PS4 version ? Remakes both sold 900k+ on 3DS, hmm... Regardless I can still see some potential left for DQXI.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
It will be the first "late version" for a mainline DQ game.

SQEX can do a lot to make the product desirable. Also, portability of the PS4 version is already a selling point. Switch software is selling great and next year installed base will be huge.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I mean't Japan, also WW sales can be like 12M shipments too.
Also how much was shipped to Japan in Q3 last year? I know they sold like 1.3M through but idk about shipments.
In the future please specify the context you mean for the quarters. Q3 would be July to September for the calendar year.

Last year in Q4 (CY), the Switch sold ~1.6 million according to Famitsu. It would be a stretch to reach ~3.2 million in Q4 this year.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with DQXI is that I don't think "late ports" do as well in Japan as they do in the west. People who want DQXI will have second hand cheap DQXI for PS4 for the HD experience and 3DS for the portable one (which is good enough for most consumers).

Yeah, we don't know what features they may add, but it's a long single player RPG -- I don't think people will double dip much.

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
In the future please specify the context you mean for the quarters. Q3 would be July to September for the calendar year.

Last year in Q4 (CY), the Switch sold ~1.6 million according to Famitsu. It would be a stretch to reach ~3.2 million in Q4 this year.
I thought quarters are always related to fiscal?

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
You are setting yourself for disappointment with predictions like that. 3 million would be higher than peak DS holiday sales.
I had to check that, DS came close in 2006, but was at 2840k for Q4 2006.
I thought quarters are always related to fiscal?
Only when specified and usually only in financial threads. This is a sales thread and we typically talk in terms of the calendar year unless otherwise noted.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Octopath almost done. Wish it could leg out to 200k physical at least.
What a great run. A classic JRPG like that sticking around in the charts for over a month now.
Also, is this the first time a multiplatform title debuted higher on Switch than PS4?

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
How much did Nintendo ship to Japan in Oct to Dec period? If it's really close to media create numbers, then demand will really good this christmas.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with DQXI is that I don't think "late ports" do as well in Japan as they do in the west. People who want DQXI will have second hand cheap DQXI for PS4 for the HD experience and 3DS for the portable one (which is good enough for most consumers).

Yeah, we don't know what features they may add, but it's a long single player RPG -- I don't think people will double dip much.
It really has to be a big addition to get people's attention. My personal wish is for monster taming or something along those lines, maybe even with a multiplayer component. Don't know if it would be big with people or not tho.

Oct 27, 2017
What a great run. A classic JRPG like that sticking around in the charts for over a month now.
Also, is this the first time a multiplatform title debuted higher on Switch than PS4?
Imagine how well it would have done if SE hadn't kept colossally fucking up the supply

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
It really has to be a big addition to get people's attention. My personal wish is for monster taming or something along those lines, maybe even with a multiplayer component. Don't know if it would be big with people or not tho.

Haven't played the game, but are there any NPC characters that might get the Morrie/Red treatment from DQ VIII for the Switch release / general re-release?

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the first anime game that outsells a PS4 release. Always found it weird that Nintendo consoles missed out on a lot of anime games so I'm guessing switch will probably start bucking the trend after the one piece and jump force.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
This Q3 fiscal is way better than last year software wise.

I don't disagree that it should handily outsell last year. Just that going to 3 million for one quarter is pretty damn tall order especially as the base weekly sales of Switch are not even close to record holder DS.

Yes I agree - I was just clarifying the "doubling" figures the other poster was referencing.

Oh. Sorry. I misread the word double in your post as doable lol.

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
Nintendo shipped 1.77M in oct to dec period last year. Media create is ~1.528M sales. Since all other quarters will probably do the same as last year and that nintendo will ship 25% to Japan for this fiscal year, add 1.2M more shipments to this holiday.

Last fiscal year:

Q1: 520k
Q2: 830k
Q3: 1770k
Q4: 660k
total: 3.78M of 15M shipments( 25.2%)

This fiscal year:

Q1: 500k
Q2: 700k shipments if 50k average for next 5 weeks.
Q3: 3150k shipments so if DEMAND is there, nintendo will have the supply for their 20 M forecast.
Q4: 650k
total: 5M of 20M shipments (25%)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a terrible run. SE cut their own legs off here.

funtastrophe

Oct 25, 2017
Neat. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe just passed 6x its first week. Breath of the Wild should hit that mark in four weeks, maybe three (depending on whether it tracks like this week or manages to do a little better). I like tracking my games based on FW multipliers, and I'm rooting for BotW to overtake MK8DX. That's still a tough underdog fight, as it would need to get consistently at least two-thirds the weekly sales, and the end-of-year holidays are probably going to work against it.

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
Neat. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe just passed 6x its first week. Breath of the Wild should hit that mark in four weeks, maybe three (depending on whether it tracks like this week or manages to do a little better). I like tracking my games based on FW multipliers, and I'm rooting for BotW to overtake MK8DX. That's still a tough underdog fight, as it would need to get consistently at least two-thirds the weekly sales, and the end-of-year holidays are probably going to work against it.
If BOTW passes Odyssey... which probably means >2M sales, BOTW is the true GOTY of 2017