• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
You always focus in the usual trio (Harada Nagoshi and Kondo) but there is a company that gets always unnoticed here, it is From Software. They would not touch a Nintendo system even if their lives depended on that.

Dark Souls Remastered was ported by Virtuous and it will probably be the first and last From Software published title on Nintendo Switch. If we exclude 3 small games they developed for Nintendo DS their last game on a Nintendo console was Lost Kingdoms II released nearly 17 years ago.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Oh yeah thanks for hiska-kun making sell thru numbers in the other thread, I see with 15 countries sell thru was 16.83mil (US/Canada+Europe main countries/Japan/SK/Taiwan)

Anyways I did a breakdown of every country below has a 25% increase YoY and this is what I got...... (2020 #s)

NoA
US 6480k (8100k)
Canada 630k (787k)

Europe
UK 950k (1187K)
France 1230k (1537k)
Germany 1000k (1250k)
Spain 440k (550k)
Italy 550k (687k)
Benelux 260k (325k)
Nordic Region 220k (275k)

Asia
Japan 4492k (5615k)
South Korea 386k (482k)
Taiwan 196k (245k)

Total being 2020 would be 21.04mil Sell thru missing a portion of sales WW

Edit: this is 25%. Japan already heading for 30% maybe more if we are lucky. US I'm not sure just yet

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
You always focus in the usual trio (Harada Nagoshi and Kondo) but there is a company that gets always unnoticed here, it is From Software. They would not touch a Nintendo system even if their lives depended on that.

Dark Souls Remastered was ported by Virtuous and it will probably be the first and last From Software published title on Nintendo Switch. If we exclude 3 small games they developed for Nintendo DS their last game on a Nintendo console was Lost Kingdoms II released nearly 17 years ago.
From isn't the biggest Nintendo supporter but Harada is involved again with Dark Souls and possibly other Bandai Namco/From Software IPs.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

From's last Nintendo developed game was actually Monhan Nikki DX on 3DS.

I doubt we see them develop anything on Switch either but I wouldn't be surprised to see some more co-produced catalog ports yet. I feel like Dark Souls II, Metal Wolf Chaos XD and 3D Dot Game Heroes would all make some sense on the system.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still think L5 would be a good acquisition target for Bamco.

The issue is as time goes on they are probably worth less and less to Bandai Namco. At this point it would basically be down to Bamco's attachment to Ni No Kuni and a hope they could reignite merchandising interest in some of the cross media stuff.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The issue is as time goes on they are probably worth less and less to Bandai Namco. At this point it would basically be down to Bamco's attachment to Ni No Kuni and a hope they could reignite merchandising interest in some of the cross media stuff.
I think there's probably still some good value to Layton, IE and YW and solid revival potential down the line. Each of them is still more valuable than NNK really.

Part of the appeal in L5 would be in having another sizable Japanese software production group outside BNS and BB Studio. They could be a benefit to licensed IP like Gundam, Dragon Ball, etc. Hino would probably have to go but I'd sort of expect that if he cashed out and sold.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

There's something of an irony in the fact that Nintendo has minority stakes in Kadokawa Dwango(thus FromSoft and Spike Chunsoft), Bandai Namco and CyGames.

I think there's probably still some good value to Layton, IE and YW and solid revival potential down the line. Each of them is still more valuable than NNK really.

Part of the appeal in L5 would be in having another sizable Japanese software production group outside BNS and BB Studio. They could be a benefit to licensed IP like Gundam, Dragon Ball, etc. Hino would probably have to go but I'd sort of expect that if he cashed out and sold.

The return of Gundam Age. :P

Part of the problem with Hino going is that he's still a massive part of their creative force. He writes most of their games and is a Director on a significant chunk of them too.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017

I loved Lost Kingdoms, a shame they seem to be stuck doing the same type of games again and again nowadays.
I understand why though, because it sells.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks.

Honestly, I have doubts about the reliability of the user who originally reported about Monster Hunter Stories 2 being already localised, as well as whoever said "Why not both?" (maybe it was Okabe after all). I don't know how much Okabe may actually be aware of insider info, but I also know he jokes a lot, and others fell for it in the past (Maximilian Dood for example LMAO). I really wouldn't consider MHS2 as a "given" as I've recently seen here or in the Direct Speculation thread.

Obviously I can't say the same for MH Next, which is seemingly getting closer and closer and I really hope its reveal is not far away.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks.

Honestly, I have doubts about the reliability of the user who originally reported about Monster Hunter Stories 2 being already localised, as well as whoever said "Why not both?" (maybe it was Okabe after all). I don't know how much Okabe may actually be aware of insider info, but I also know he jokes a lot, and others fell for it in the past (Maximilian Dood for example LMAO). I really wouldn't consider MHS2 as a "given" as I've recently seen here or in the Direct Speculation thread.

Obviously I can't say the same for MH Next, which is seemingly getting closer and closer and I really hope its reveal is not far away.

It was Matrixman who said we can have both(in reply to me) but I'd assume that only reflects his confidence in a traditional MH coming to Switch, rather than confidence in a new Stories game.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I still think L5 would be a good acquisition target for Bamco.
A more likely candidate would be Square Enix IMO, mainly for DQ9 purposes. It might be cheaper to acquire them than to pay whatever royalties L5 would be owed for DQ9. The only thing tying Bamco and L5 is Ni no Kuni which has already collapsed and is worth nothing at this point.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A more likely candidate would be Square Enix IMO, mainly for DQ9 purposes. It might be cheaper to acquire them than to pay whatever royalties L5 would be owed for DQ9. The only thing tying Bamco and L5 is Ni no Kuni which has already collapsed and is worth nothing at this point.

SE already re-released DQ8 without L5. They could do DQ9 without them too.

Bandai Namco also had Gundam Age with Level 5 and Bandai owns the merchandising rights to Yokai Watch.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
It was Matrixman who said we can have both(in reply to me) but I'd assume that only reflects his confidence in a traditional MH coming to Switch, rather than confidence in a new Stories game.

Oh, thanks for the clarification. And I believe your assumption is the correct one.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Things change when survival is on the line. N1 went from a die hard Sony first company to arguably launching everything with Switch as the target after completely bombing in the mobile space. Falcom has no such pressure but has faced that issue in the past when they went from PC only with outside ports to consoles to Sony only with outside ports to pc (and eventually Switch)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I have to admit, based on what we know MH Switch using the RE Engine and MHS2 existing at all don't make a whole ton of sense imo.

The return of Gundam Age. :P

Part of the problem with Hino going is that he's still a massive part of their creative force. He writes most of their games and is a Director on a significant chunk of them too.
lol. Basically Hino *is* the problem. He'd probably have to be willing to leave in order to sell though (I assume he holds a large, possibly majority, stake in the company?). L5 is still pretty big though with an R&D group well over 200 staff and their own mocap studio and two mobile subsidiaries. As a development force they're definitely an asset and they do hold some notable IP.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Hino is Level 5; the master of their greatest successes and architect of their inevitable downfall.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
There were many defenders of Level 5 when we were talking for train wreck strategy from Hino during company's peak years.
Kids franchises usually have no long life regardless of whether they succeed or fail. The strategy is good, but requires new IP every couple of years (and I'm not even talking about an IP with Yo-kai level success every couple years). Level-5 failed to provide that.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Kids franchises usually have no long life regardless of whether they succeed or fail. The strategy is good, but requires new IP every couple of years (and I'm not even talking about an IP with Yo-kai level success every couple years). Level-5 failed to provide that.
When you are a hit-seeking company you need to diversify your output in order to gain some stability. They had franchises that didn't target kids like Fantasy Life, Layton or Ni No Kuni but they still relied too much ton YW and let these franchises lose mindshare.

Between 2014 and 2016 the only games they released were Yokai Watch 4, that's not serious.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
SE already re-released DQ8 without L5. They could do DQ9 without them too.

Bandai Namco also had Gundam Age with Level 5 and Bandai owns the merchandising rights to Yokai Watch.
I thought L5 only had a stake in DQ9, but I see that they originally had a stake in the original DQ8 release too.

In that case I don't see anyone acquiring them tbh. They don't have anything of value currently besides their staff who can simply be recruited by other companies.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit, based on what we know MH Switch using the RE Engine and MHS2 existing at all don't make a whole ton of sense imo.

lol. Basically Hino *is* the problem. He'd probably have to be willing to leave in order to sell though (I assume he holds a large, possibly majority, stake in the company?). L5 is still pretty big though with an R&D group well over 200 staff and their own mocap studio and two mobile subsidiaries. As a development force they're definitely an asset and they do hold some notable IP.

I'm not sure they would want Inafune either.🤭

Oct 26, 2017
From's last Nintendo developed game was actually Monhan Nikki DX on 3DS.

I doubt we see them develop anything on Switch either but I wouldn't be surprised to see some more co-produced catalog ports yet. I feel like Dark Souls II, Metal Wolf Chaos XD and 3D Dot Game Heroes would all make some sense on the system.
I think Monster Hunter Diary was by Hi Corp specifically, the exact team behind From's Cookie & Cream series. Hell I'm SHOCKED that hasn't hit Switch yet with out of the box 2P co-op. Match made in heaven.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
When you are a hit-seeking company you need to diversify your output in order to gain some stability. They had franchises that didn't target kids like Fantasy Life, Layton or Ni No Kuni but they still relied too much ton YW and let these franchises lose mindshare.

Between 2014 and 2016 the only games they released were Yokai Watch 4, that's not serious.
Yep, I agree. After the success of Yo-kai Watch in early 2014 (thanks to the anime), they basically moved everyone on Yo-kai Watch. They were thinking too much about the here and now, and not about a Plan B in case Yo-kai Watch dropped in popularity. But I still stand with my opinion that Level-5's business strategy up to 2014 was sound.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
You made me remember how disappointed I was when the remaster wasn't announced for Switch. Playing End of Eternity on portable mode would be great
There are dozens of us !
I'm joking but it's nice to know I share the pain with others.
I mean yeah, EoE fits a portable so well : /, and it's last gen, it's no Witcher 3.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
There are dozens of us !
I'm joking but it's nice to know I share the pain with others.
I mean yeah, EoE fits a portable so well : /, and it's last gen, it's no Witcher 3.
tri-Ace skipping their own Switch ports is kinda weird given they did contract work on Xenoblade 2 and DE. Then again they haven't been a core dev anything in coming up on 2 years, who knows, maybe we see a surprise ROF HD Switch release shadow dropped in the next Direct.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Miyazaki is a big Nintendo fan

But his games barely can run on console without some minor technical problem.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
From isn't the biggest Nintendo supporter but Harada is involved again with Dark Souls and possibly other Bandai Namco/From Software IPs.

Sekiro would lend some weight to that idea though.

Might be waiting for Nintendo to pick up the phone they was Sony did with Bloodborne.

Edit: actually Japanese games/studios backed/owned by big Western companies don't go anywhere near Switch. Tango Gameworks comes to mind.

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
COMG! preorders chart, Week 35 2020:
Each point represents one preorder at this retailer. It is a relatively small retailer located in one region so be careful when you extrapolate, especially regarding Otaku games (overrepresented) and family games (underrepresented).

1. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Collector's Edition (PS4) - 22 pts (+0 pt)
2. Momotaro Dentetsu - 19 pts (+4 pts)
3. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Collector's Edition (NSW) - 19 pts (+0 pt)
4. Atelier Ryza 2 (NSW) - 16 pts (+0 pt)
5. Atelier Ryza 2 (PS4) - 11 pts (+1 pt)
6. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (NSW) - 10 pts (+1 pt)
7. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (PS4) - 10 pts (+1 pt)
8. Avengers - 9 pts (+2 pts)
9. Watch Dogs Legion - 10 pts (+1 pt)
10. Cyberpunk 2077 – 10 pts (+0 pt)
11. Atelier Ryza 2 Collector's Edition (NSW) - 7 pts (+1 pt)
12. Pikmin 3 Deluxe - 6 pts (+1 pt)
13. Azur Lane (NSW) - 6 pts (+0 pt)
14. Assassin's Creed Valhalla - 5 pts (+0 pt)
15. Kamen Rider Collector's Edition (PS4) - 4 pts (NE)
16. Project Cars 3 - 4 pts (NE)
17. NBA 2K21 - 4 pts (NE)
18. Sakuna Rice (NSW) - 3 pts (NE)
19. Winning Eleven Update Season 2021 - 3 pts (NE)
20. Medabots Classics Plus Special Edition - 5 pts (RE)

Last edited:

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Tsutaya Ranking: Week 35, 2020 (24 Aug - 30 Aug)

01./00. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Hajimari no Kiseki <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2020.08.27} (¥7.800)
02./00. [NSW] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Remastered Edition <RPG> (Square Enix) {2020.08.27} (¥4.800)
03./00. [PS4] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Remastered Edition <RPG> (Square Enix) {2020.08.27} (¥4.800)
04./01. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons <ETC> (Nintendo) {2020.03.20} (¥5.980)
05./03. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980)
06./00. [NSW] Jump Force: Deluxe Edition <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2020.08.27} (¥6.680)
07./00. [NSW] Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2020.08.27} (¥7.600)
08./00. [PS4] Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2020.08.27} (¥7.600)
09./02. [PS4] Ghost of Tsushima <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2020.07.17} (¥6.900)
10./00. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Hajimari no Kiseki [Premium Master Box] <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2020.08.27} (¥10.800)
11./04. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics <TBL> (Nintendo) {2020.06.05} (¥3.980)
12./05. [NSW] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 <SPT> (Konami) {2020.07.09} (¥6.980)
13./07. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980)
14./06. [NSW] Paper Mario: The Origami King <ADV> (Nintendo) {2020.07.17} (¥5.980)
15./09. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.11.22} (¥5.980)
16./11. [NSW] Minecraft <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600)
17./10. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200)
18./08. [PS4] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 <SPT> (Konami) {2020.07.09} (¥7.980)
19./12. [PS4] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. MaxiBoost On <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2020.07.30} (¥8.200)
20./13. [NSW] Pokemon Sword <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2019.11.15} (¥5.980)

Top 20

NSW - 13
PS4 - 7

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Was Sen no Kiseki 4 announced by NIS for Japan or is it still west only ! I don't remember seeing it ever.
tri-Ace skipping their own Switch ports is kinda weird given they did contract work on Xenoblade 2 and DE. Then again they haven't been a core dev anything in coming up on 2 years, who knows, maybe we see a surprise ROF HD Switch release shadow dropped in the next Direct.
Don't give me hope !

I forgot about the contracting. That's interesting.

I was thinking maybe Sega just would say nope, not worth it if anyone ever had the idea anyway.

Anyway, even games that are (probably) more popular from them are nowhere to be seen on any platform, like SO2, the Valkyrie games.
I'd even take a remaster of Labyrinth no Kanata with some QoL...

But all these are SE and Konami so... ugh.

Sep 24, 2019
Weekly-20200831.png

NSW - 13
PS4 - 7

Total: 438 (+211 WoW)

This week has another console port that I don't understand.
I can't imagine Stellaris running well at all on a PS4.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019

From is a small company with a lot of demand. Lots of big publishers want to work with them, from Sony to Activision. I understand why they are ignoring the Switch, they are probably rejecting a lot of work on PS and XB too.

The situation is completely different from Harada and Namco who are keeping fucking Takes Of off the Switch for whatever reason.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
GEO stores: Week 35, 2020 (Aug 24 - Aug 30)

01./00. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Hajimari no Kiseki <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2020.08.27} (¥7.800)
02./00. [NSW] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Remastered Edition <RPG> (Square Enix) {2020.08.27} (¥4.800)
03./23. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980)
04./00. [PS4] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Remastered Edition <RPG> (Square Enix) {2020.08.27} (¥4.800)
05./01. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons <ETC> (Nintendo) {2020.03.20} (¥5.980)
06./00. [NSW] Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2020.08.27} (¥7.600)
07./00. [PS4] Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2020.08.27} (¥7.600)
08./02. [PS4] Ghost of Tsushima <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2020.07.17} (¥6.900)
09./00. [NSW] Jump Force: Deluxe Edition <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2020.08.27} (¥6.680)
10./03. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics <TBL> (Nintendo) {2020.06.05} (¥3.980)

Top 10

NSW - 6
PS4 - 4

"This week, the ranking has been refreshing with 6 new titles in top 10.

At 1st place, The Legend of Heroes: Hajimari no Kiseki has high ratio of Limited Edition and GEO Limited Steel Book and can be said that the title is bought mainly from series' fans.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Remastered Edition with Switch version in 2nd place and PS4 version in 4th place is a remaster but the purchase from new players is estimated high and sales are strong as it is new work.

Also, Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions" that ranked in 6th and 7th place is a football game but it is presumed that it was seen as a character game because there is no foul."

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
(Taiwan)
Media Create Sales Week 34, 2020 (17 Aug - 23 Aug)

01./02. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.31}
02./01. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20}
03./03. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo) {2018.10.05}
04./00. [PS4] Ghost of Tsushima (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2020.07.17}
05./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.04.28}

Top 5

NSW - 4
PS4 - 1

(South Korea)
Media Create Sales Week 34, 2020 (17 Aug - 23 Aug)

01./01. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.18}
02./02. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20}
03./00. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield (Pokemon Co.) {2019.11.15}
04./05. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.12.15}
05./04. [NSW] Paper Mario: The Origami King (Nintendo) {2020.07.17}

Top 5

NSW - 5

gnn.gamer.com.tw

MediaCreate 8 月 17 日~8 月 23 日一週銷售排行榜 《對馬戰鬼》重回日台銷售榜

巴哈姆特 GNN 與日本遊戲業界分析公司 MediaCreate 合作,每週定期刊載由 MediaCreate 調查與統計的日本、台灣與韓國地區家用遊樂器主機遊戲軟體的一週銷售排行榜,供玩家參考。 《對馬戰鬼》 當週依舊沒有新作入榜,狀況跟上週差異不大。《集合啦!動物森友會》與《健身環大冒險》這對 Switch 雙璧仍穩居三地冠亞軍寶座。除了《對馬戰鬼