• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I always had the feeling that Spider-man was going to do very well but not so much, congratulations to Insomniac.

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
Super Mario Odyssey sold 2 million in 3 days. Ulimate will smash that.
Is all the praise for Spidermans 125k opening based on beating YSOs estimate, franchise history or something else?

Looking at CY2017 first week numbers makes me think that although having a 100K+ first week (even on PS4) is a bit more elusive, isn't some mystical occurrence. It seems right in line with openings for HZD and most other large budget Sony titles.
I think it's the best opening for a Spider-man game ever. By quite a margin. Not enough praise tbh.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Smash will beat Sun/Moon for Nintendo's biggest launch ever, but it's going to be very close.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Honestly I don't understand the surprise for Spiderman opening. It did very well but the comparison with previous entries is not apt.

Spiderman PS4 was marketed as a Sony AAA game; Spiderman popularity nowadays thanks to MCU is at a very high level; the game is high quality; Western Sony games did pretty well on PS4 (see Uncharted 4 with a similar opening).

Oct 29, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
I obviously wasn't talking about beating God of War's overall sales, I was referring to GOW's initial sales. Since excepting Smash to compete against Spidey's first week is just unrealistic.
Hmmm, maybe 3 million best case scenario? Japan alone will be 500k minimum, that's for sure
Smash Bros will likely do at least 3 Million in the US and Japan alone. Opening weekend.

US opening May be 3 Million+
Hell since it's the holidays it could be close to 4 Million sold in a month. It may beat Halo 3's exclusive opening record for a NPD.

Oct 29, 2017
Smash Ultimate will almost certainly crack 2 million in Japan within 2018, maybe even 2.5 million.

Cracking 10 million WW within the first month isn't impossible!

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I don't understand the surprise for Spiderman opening. It did very well but the comparison with previous entries is not apt.

Spiderman PS4 was marketed as a Sony AAA game; Spiderman popularity nowadays thanks to MCU is at a very high level; the game is high quality; Western Sony games did pretty well on PS4 (see Uncharted 4 with a similar opening).

You don't understand the surprise when YSO expectations were half of that amount?

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised to see people so sure the PS4 will end up down year over year. You know some of you have been consistently wrong about the console over its life and the big games released for it.
You're gonna have to clarify because the only real mistake people have made about PS4's japanese sales was predicting Monster Hunter World and Dragon Quest XI performing lower than it actually did, though the sales did slow down to a point where the increased launch numbers were evened out.

Otherwise the sales trend has been spot on. Last year it was flat, and this year had less big game spikes. So unless everyone is gonna suddenly buy a PS4 ahead of something like Kingdom Hearts, the market growth will remain too slow for any increase.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great sales for Spidey!

But the game seems to pander only to the existence audience, no relevant hardware sales spike for PS4.

Switch greats as ever, even without big new releases.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
You don't understand the surprise when YSO expectations were half of that amount?

No, because YSO predictions are often off when there aren't direct historical comparisons. Given preorders, popularity of the franchise and the fact that it was a top Sony release I can't see the surprise of being >100k. GoW was also a big release but we knew recent entries that were treated the same by Sony did not so great.

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
No, because YSO predictions are often off when there aren't direct historical comparisons. Given preorders, popularity of the franchise and the fact that it was a top Sony release I can't see the surprise of being >100k. GoW was also a big release but we knew recent entries that were treated the same by Sony did not so great.

My point is more that plenty of people expected a lot less from the game, YSO included, so it isn't hard to understand the surprise.

Did anyone predict a better result here?

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
You're gonna have to clarify because the only real mistake people have made about PS4's japanese sales was predicting Monster Hunter World and Dragon Quest XI performing lower than it actually did, though the sales did slow down to a point where the increased launch numbers were evened out.

Otherwise the sales trend has been spot on. Last year it was flat, and this year had less big game spikes. So unless everyone is gonna suddenly buy a PS4 ahead of something like Kingdom Hearts, the market growth will remain too slow for any increase.

Well I'll probably just retract my remark then because I'm not going to go back and search for receipts. I've been following japan sales age since the DS boom so I'm honestly just calling it as I've experienced it but I think the PS4 has performed well above neoresetera expectations. Those were the specific big games I was talking about. They blew early expectations out of the water. The other being FF15 (which didn't blow expectations away at all).

Not looking for a big argument or derail.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not actually exclusive and there's nothing in there about the Switch port happening at all due to NISA. So where are you getting that?
The anger toward NISA is causing everyone to lost their mind.

Super Mario Odyssey sold 2 million in 3 days. Ulimate will smash that.

I think it's the best opening for a Spider-man game ever. By quite a margin. Not enough praise tbh.

I have the feeling Smash is going to hit out of the park. This time it is on switch and the hype seems to be crazier than before.

Oct 27, 2017

Well on the other hand, no one would have been surprised to see Spider-Man opening at 30K in Japan, especially after God of War's 50K. The comments would have been "well yeah, Spider-Man was never big in Japan anyway, moving on to Breath of the Wild legs".

Even if you includes japanese games, only two SIE games launched higher on PS4 : Bloodborne (150K) and GT Sport (140K) so that's not a level of performance you see every month for that publisher. Then from the western studios you have Uncharted 4 (125K), Horizon (110K) and that's it. From my perspective I would say Spider-Man launch numbers are the most pleasant surprise of all PS4 SIE games. I wonder how many units they shipped, will be looking at Famitsu for that.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
My point is more that plenty of people expected a lot less from the game, YSO included, so it isn't hard to understand the surprise.

Early hints were that YSO underestimated Spider-Man but it turned out to be by a lot.

The game didn't face supply problems although it had a 100k+ opening which means retailers (and Sony) were prepared and expecting this size of opening despite being more cautious with PS4 software lately.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a really good debut for Spider-man! It smashed God of War and sold almost the same as Horizon and U4. It's nice to see western titles in the last years gaining some traction in Japan.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

Well on the other hand, no one would have been surprised to see Spider-Man opening at 30K in Japan, especially after God of War's 50K. The comments would have been "well yeah, Spider-Man was never big in Japan anyway, moving on to Breath of the Wild legs".

Even if you includes japanese games, only two SIE games launched higher on PS4 : Bloodborne (150K) and GT Sport (140K) so that's not a level of performance you see every month for that publisher. Then from the western studios you have Uncharted 4 (125K), Horizon (110K) and that's it. From my perspective I would say Spider-Man launch numbers are the most pleasant surprise of all PS4 SIE games. I wonder how many units they shipped, will be looking at Famitsu for that.

Spiderman was absolutely treated by Sony as a top-AAA release on par with Uncharted and Horizon. I was thinking it would have performed much similarly to the latter rather than God of War (which low appeal in Japan is a known factor). The Last of Us did 130k FW in Japan on PS3, for example. Spiderman is more popular than ever and the game was highly advertised in Japan too. YSO can be reliable but something is quite off.

I'm not underselling the result. I was just expecting a 100k+ debut.

Kriegshand

Oct 28, 2017
Sony does a really good job in choosing and promoting exclusive software. Their western focused exclusives do even in japan decent numbers.

It is also interesting that Switch hardware sales are up but software sales are down a lot.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
September 14: Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 03: Drive Kit
September 15: Undertale
September 20: STEINS; GATE ELITE
September 21: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna: The Golden Country
September 25/28: FIFA 19
September 27: Dragon Ball FighterZ
September 27: Musou Orochi 3
September 27: The World Ends with You: Final Remix
September 27: Valkyria Chronicles 4

Last week of September should be fun lol

interested in FighterZ and Torna.
and VC4. Should be interesting.

I remember back in like Feb or March people saying FighterZ would do as well as the PS4 version (around 80k iirc?).
I disagreed.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I believe there were some people asking me about the extent of Madoka's current success (maybe sinonobu or Heartskips?), and we just got the chart in for August:

madokaw3ct7.png

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I want to see how evergreens react to Smash and/or Pokemon, I wonder if we'll start seeing 30k Splatoon 2 or 20k Zelda weeks and such

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Another Bandai Namco game based on anime that nobody will care to buy launches for PS4 tomorrow.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Code:
Week 36 2012
3DS HW - 64.159(-14%)
3DS SW - 130.806(-46%)

New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 39.708(-29%)
Lost Heroes - 32.504(new)
Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! - 13.060(-17%)
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - 12.589(-82%)
Senran Kagura Burst: Guren no Shoujotachi - 9.513(-86%)
Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb - 8.800(-22%)
Brain Age: Concentration Training - 7.973(-25%)
Kobitodzukan: Kobito Kansatsu Set - 6.659(-32%)

Code:
Week 36 2017
Switch HW - 45.439(-9%)
Switch SW - 100.559(-6%)

Splatoon 2 - 44.981(-14%)
Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch - 24.045(new)
Monster Hunter Double Cross - 12.811(-53%)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 10.526(-16%)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 4.485(-9%)
Arms - 3.711(-28%)

Code:
Week 35 2018
Switch HW - 42.151(-9%)
Switch SW -  109.541(-15%)

Week 35 2018
Switch HW - 43.513(+3%)
Switch SW -  82.993(-24%)

Minecraft - 14.752(-23%)
Splatoon 2 - 14.398(-15%)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 11.877(-10%)
Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! -  7.004(-28%)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 6.515(-12%)
Mario Tennis Aces -  6.195(-20%)
SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy - 5.493(new)
Kirby Star Allies -  4.459(-14%)
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 4.362(-24%)
Super Mario Odyssey - 3.972(re)
My Hero: One's Justice - 3.966(-48%)

Nothing really remarkable about Switch software or hardware sales this week. Software actually performed rather sluggishly and fell below 100K.
All eyes on the direct to finalize what we can expect this year.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love how Japanese players didn't give a damn about the previous Spider-Man games, yet jumped on this one like crazy. Times sure have changed (definitely not a bad thing)!

It's almost like people will respond positively to a well made, well marketed, high budget, great looking and playing game better than the rushed low budget bullshit that Spidey games have mostly been for the longest time!

It's very good to see and hopefully encourages more effort being put into these licensed games. Because evidently they could make BANK if done properly.

_Dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
14./14. [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2017.11.17} (¥4.980) - 4.803 / 1.720.153 (-16%)

US/UM, aka the most recent good Pokémon game until 2019, keep on legging.
US/UM was really lazy.

You're going to end up disappointed when Let's Go takes over.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize before that Switch has surpassed the 5m milestone.

Not much longer until it outsells the Vita LTD.

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
Hah...you can literally see how Spider-man's release pushed ~3000k Ps4 Pro sales this week :P