• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
That thread will be fab

It sure will. It will sell 195k and hell will break loose ;)

I would think this port is made for non japanese market in mind. YoKai Watch has seen decent success in Europe on 3DS so it makes sense for it to be on two popular platforms in Europe (Switch/PS4).

If that port is truly made for the west in mind, then it's even worse.

L5 western releases are a bit of joke when there's no publisher backing them (Nintendo, Bamco). Yo-kai Watch without Nintendo's backing is pretty much a disaster waiting to happen.

Fantasy Life 2 is the only L5 game that could sell 1 million copies worldwide

I would love a FL2, but nah, no way in hell it would ever sell that much.

Morisaki

Oct 29, 2017
Did Nintendo do the previous western localization for Yokai Watch? If that's the case, who is going to localize YW4 now?

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
"really struggles" is a bit of a hyperbole. It has some framerate issues but nothing preventing to enjoy the game. Also, it's more a matter of Level-5 rushing development rather than Switch being unable to run that thing.

Level-5 has proved to be able to constantly release hits. They were the only Japanese third-party publisher of the past 15 years to be able to create million seller new IPs in Japan: Layton, Inazuma and then Yo-kai Watch. Even other IPs had some kind of success like Fantasy Life.

Hino definitely mismanaged Level-5 in the past few years focusing too much on Yo-kai Watch and betting on toys-to-life with The Snack World BUT the guy has business sense and if there's a developer who can come back with a hit that's definitely Level-5.

What have your mentioned successful IPs in common? I also wouldn't downplay how much time has past. It hasn't been just a few years, but almost a whole console generation worth of time since the introduction of Youkai Watch.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Why doesn't Nintendo go to TGS again? Directs might be a perfectly fine way of relaying information to gamers, and yeah, there's something about the format that might be stuck in the past, but man did it make Sony look like they were in a really strong position.

There appeared to be a lot of people excited about P5R, an enhanced version of a game that has already released.

Last edited:

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Famitsu has GTAV at #30 with 1,145 sales but could it be an error and they meant 1,415 (#29 is 1,437) cause otherwise it would be down from last week (1,395 copies), even though PS4 HW increased and this is the type of game to benefit from it.
it's not unlikely for evergreens to decrease with increasing hardware sometimes. More likely than famitsu making an error at least
Fire Emblem scooting along. With digital it's easily over 250,000 in Japan. Which is nice enough though I am thankful its Japanese performance isn't indicative of its world wide performance haha.
as someone else said it's easily over 350k with digital and possibly up to 500k even. We have some reliable pointers that it has done very, very well digitally

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Fire Emblem scooting along. With digital it's easily over 250,000 in Japan. Which is nice enough though I am thankful its Japanese performance isn't indicative of its world wide performance haha.

That would be an understatement. It's almost at 250k with retail :P

Wouldnt surprise me one bit if digital ratio is closer to 50% considering how it has charted on the e-shop for well over a month now.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't Nintendo go to TGS again? Directs might be a perfectly fine way of relaying information to gamers, and yeah, there's something about the format that might be stuck in the past, but man did it make Sony look like they were in a really strong position

Iirc, it was because NCL doesn't attend events with paid entriance? Something like that, but I could be mistaken.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't Nintendo go to TGS again? Directs might be a perfectly fine way of relaying information to gamers, and yeah, there's something about the format that might be stuck in the past, but man did it make Sony look like they were in a really strong position.

There appeared to be a lot of people excited about P5R, an enhanced version of a game that has already released.
I ask myself this question every year. I don't care if it's tradition, it's ridiculous to let the biggest japanese salon unattended when you are a big player and want to attract 3rd party studios.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. Still they are there for business meetings so the latter part of your sentence is taken care of.
But it's not just about backdoor meetings. It's about guaranteeing a huge platform to your partners once a year. Something Sony is doing beautifully this year. It's all part of the game. When people ask why are japanese studios so loyal to Sony, maybe that's part of the answer.

What's even weirder is that Nintendo has no problem doing it at E3 or Gamescom.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
But it's not just about backdoor meetings. It's about guaranteeing a huge platform to your partners once a year. Something Sony is doing beautifully this year. It's all part of the game. When people ask why are japanese studios so loyal to Sony, maybe that's the beginning of the answer.
They did a better job at this in previous years with their TGS conference.

Overall I agree, they should be more aggressive and take advantage of their dominant position in Japan.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
This years TGS seems to be all about big titles that have already been announced.
Considering that there's zero such titles for Switch, it's understandable that it's going to look like Sonyland during TGS.

To be honest I dunno what Nintendo can do to attract JP 3rd party devs, when the system is selling tons worldwide and that's still not enough to convince them.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
This years TGS seems to be all about big titles that have already been announced.
Considering that there's zero such titles for Switch, it's understandable that it's going to look like Sonyland during TGS.

To be honest I dunno what Nintendo can do to attract JP 3rd party devs, when the system is selling tons worldwide and that's still not enough to convince them.
Tbh, at the exception of FF7R, I think that DQXIS has the more potential, is at TGS, on Switch, but was already covered during 3 various Directs.

Same could be said about Mario & Sonic.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

I always wonder what's the reason for this. One thought i had (no expert, so don't pile at me please ._.) was that it's maybe also like this due to the persons who are in those general manager positions at many devs/pubs. Like Nagoshi at Sega or Harada at Bamco.

It's pretty telling when the japanese firms are almost schooled by western and indie devs/pubs.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
That's the reason TGS is becoming more and more irrelevant every year. It's seems many publishers there know nothing about their customers.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

source.gif

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yooo remember when 2019 was when we would see major support for Switch as they just weren't prepared for it??

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

TGS hasn't been the venue for game announcements for years now, though has it?

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
What have your mentioned successful IPs in common? I also wouldn't downplay how much time has past. It hasn't been just a few years, but almost a whole console generation worth of time since the introduction of Youkai Watch.

Yo-kai Watch 3 (the last good seller in the franchise) was released in 2016. We're 3 years since then.

Inazuma Eleven 3 (the last good seller in the franchise) was released in 2010. Yo-kai Watch was released in 2013 and became a hit in 2014. In the meanwhile Level-5 released plenty of bombs.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Yo-kai Watch 3 (the last good seller in the franchise) was released in 2016. We're 3 years since then.

Inazuma Eleven 3 (the last good seller in the franchise) was released in 2010. Yo-kai Watch was released in 2013 and became a hit in 2014. In the meanwhile Level-5 released plenty of bombs.

I was talking about introducing new successful IPs. Unless YW started with 3 my point still stands.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's clearly better but major support is still absent. Can people really say going into 2020 that this is the level of support they expected from big publishers/IPs?
I think the Switch had a better JP 3rd party support than the PS4 since the begining of the fiscal year (although it will end at the very end of it) . Were you expecting that level of support ?

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, it's clearly better but major support is still absent. Can people really say going into 2020 that this is the level of support they expected from big publishers/IPs?

I find this a difficult question to answer, depending on the publisher and relative to their output

Square-Enix: I didn't expect any of their western published games (Avengers, Dying Light 2, Outriders), Kingdom Hearts 3 or Final Fantasy VII Remake. Other than that, they're releasing a ton of remastered stuff, all of which is coming to Switch so far and even a fairly involved remake with Trials of Mana.

Koei Tecmo: The only KT franchise I consider major is Nioh at this point so I am not sure... almost everything is also coming to Switch.

Bandai Namco: I guess it was naïve of me to think they would stop with their late ports.

Capcom: lol

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, another chapter of hyperbolic statements about Switch's Japanese 3rd party support, with fearmongering and objectively wrong observations and comparisons.

A good time to remember to not lose your time with people whose bias is related to the gimmick they play here. Use the ignore list and the report function, instead. No need to deal with toxicity, even if we're "just" talking about classic forum trolling / hyperboles.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Switch had a better JP 3rd party support than the PS4 since the begining of the fiscal year (although it will end at the very end of it) . Were you expecting that level of support ?

Sure, Switch had a decent summer whilst PS4 was relatively dead and support is definitely better than I expected.
I find this a difficult question to answer, depending on the publisher and relative to their output

Square-Enix: I didn't expect any of their western published games (Avengers, Dying Light 2, Outriders), Kingdom Hearts 3 or Final Fantasy VII Remake. Other than that, they're releasing a ton of remastered stuff, all of which is coming to Switch so far and even a fairly involved remake with Trials of Mana.

Koei Tecmo: The only KT franchise I consider major is Nioh at this point so I am not sure... almost everything is also coming to Switch.

Bandai Namco: I guess it was naïve of me to think they would stop with their late ports.

Capcom: lol

The publisher that actually seems to have needed time to get to grips and has improved support is MMV. They've gone from nearly absent to working on a bunch of exclusives.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Next financial results for Nintendo: October 31st. So November 1st for the investor meeting. Lots of interesting data coming.

Well yeah. Now that it's multiplat, they're going to have to do it themselves. Well... an external localisation company, actually.

And with the big mess that is their western (well US) outfit I don't see a scenario where it could end well... nor if it could end at all.

Not sure why they've decided to go solo this gen when they clearly don't know what they're doing, releasing stuff without any sort of promotion efforts.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
If Fitness Boxing managed to become a minor hit despite being the cheap limited game that it was, a bigger more enticing Nintendo game could do pretty well.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
30./00. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [2][New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2018.12.06} (¥3.500) - 1.145 / 43.739 <80-100%> (-18 )

The legs on these are insane, Sony has always been a safe haven for smaller third parties. It's guaranteed succes.